Melbourne Football

A-league fantasy 12/13

fastfly100

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Here's my team for anyone who cares  :P

Goalkeepers: Pasfield (CCM), Reddy (CCM)

Defenders: Wielaert (MHT), Leijer (MVC), Zullo (ADL), Roux (CCM), Vrankovic (MHT)

Midfielders: Broich (BRI), Troisi (MVC), McGarry (PER), Brillante (NEW), R.Edwards (PER)

Forwards: Juric (WSW), Cirio (ADL), Maclaren (PER)

Theo, Spoonley. - At least first up against Wellington, Theo should have a fairly good game, plus Wellington is hit and miss at the best of times, Spoonley is only around for a few games, but should pick up points due to the raft of injuries currently in the Wellington GK department.

Franjic, Roux, ZulloWalker, Caira - All pretty easy selections, Franjic and Zullo will play very attacking football, while Roux, Walker and Caira are very cheap at this stage but they'll end up increasing in price through the year and should all see game time, with Caira likely being the first choice left back and being bargain basement.

R. Edwards, Lustica, Duganzic, Troisi, Brown - I've kind of left myself open here but ultimately all these players will see game time early on, all attacking and will nearly be all second strikers, with the exception of James Brown, who looks the goods this year after being promising.

McGrath,McLaren,Berisha - Easy calls here really, Berisha will be on form again, McLaren should start until Smeltz gets back and McGrath should be good value, depending on if his contract is picked up for the rest of the year.

Fixed my team up, super hyped about this one!

Warning: Massive wall of text is coming, tl;dr - I like my team lots and lots

Goalkeepers: 

Pasfield, Reddy. 

Central Coast's defence is always strong and they concede very few goals, having both of these guys means I'll always have a starting goalkeeper (unless Bradasevic starts for whatever reason, which is unlikely) and there's a good chance they'll keep a clean sheet with a strong back 4 in front of them. Both are mistake-prone though so I'll definitely be ready to trade them if their form is too horrible.

Defenders:

Wielaert, Jaliens, Leijer, Zullo, Boxall.

I think Leijer will step up this season and will no longer be as much of a liability as he was now that he has Contreras as a partner and no burden of captaincy. Jaliens is a strong defender who I expect to do well for the Jets although I am worried about how many points they'll cost me due to their fairly shitty squad. Zullo at 200k is an absolute steal as Cassio is currently injured for at least a month, meaning he'll own that left-back role and might even push further up the wing and score/assist plenty of goals, especially under Gombau's new system. Wielaert will be a rock for us this season and will go a long way to helping us keep clean sheets week in and week out. Also thought he was quite cheap at 175k considering the clubs he's played for. Boxall will get some game time in a pretty average Wellington squad and will be adequate back-up for the time being.

Midfielders:

Broich, Troisi, Mooy, R.Edwards, Slater

Broich's ability speaks for itself, he is one of the most technically gifted players in the game and even though I hate his guts for breaking Orlando's leg, I reckon he'll pull massive numbers this season. Troisi is a gem of a player and I'm sad he went to the tards because he was always one of the first players I'd buy for Melbourne Heart in FIFA Career Mode, seems a steal at 200k. Mooy slips under the radar a bit at the Wanderers probably due to the presence of Shinji but damn, this guy can play! Excellent free-kick taker (dat goal for the Socceroos, mmm), plenty of assists and plays in a side which won't lose many games. I think Ryan Edwards will get some game time being a player loaned from a strong English club in Reading and of course, the fact that his dad's the coach will help in abundance. Just picked Slater because he was 75k and Mariners always produce good young players.

Forwards:

Juric, Taggart, Maclaren

My forward line's probably the weakest part of my team but at the same time, all 3 players will get plenty of game time being either the 1st or 2nd preferred strikers and are all easily capable of scoring 10 goals in a season. Juric is a beastly forward with a fantastic strike on him, and as the central figure in a Wanderers outfit which made Kresinger look good, he'll score for fun. Taggart really impressed me when he was called up for the Socceroos and while it was only against extremely weak Asian opposition, he took his chances very well. Think he'll be the go-to man while Heskey's missing. Maclaren is another young up-and-coming striker who has heavily impressed for the young Socceroos and while Smeltz is injured, he'll be the number one man. Also recently, Alistair Edwards has said that Maclaren basically "picks himself for the team" implying that he's had a great pre-season and is in form. 

If you made it this far, then I'm afraid you have too much time on your hands  :lol: