Melbourne Football

Vincenzo Grella

LR9

Seriously though he's had 1-2 weeks next to his name since the start of the season (Germano). Would love to know when he's really gonna play if he even does.

-------------Tadic------------------

Garcia----------------Dugandzic

--------Fred----Germano--------

-------------Grella------------------

I'd be disappointed if we didn't have atleast 1 game this season with these 6 starting. Probably our best midfield/attack combination IMO.

• Like 1

Probably unlikely well se much of Mate this season. But I agree Grella and Germano should be in our best 11.

I wanna see:

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Gerhardt - Behich

Grella - Thompson

Williams - Germano - Garcia

Tadic.

B: Mitchinson, Fred, Mcalister

100% Hack free - no Colosimo, Hoff, Kalmar or Golgol.

If we could keep that side on the park most of the season, thete is still enough time to win the chanpionship.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Probably unlikely well se much of Mate this season. But I agree Grella and Germano should be in our best 11.

I wanna see:

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Gerhardt - Behich

Grella - Thompson

Williams - Germano - Garcia

Tadic.

B: Mitchinson, Fred, Mcalister

100% Hack free - no Colosimo, Hoff, Kalmar or Golgol.

If we could keep that side on the park most of the season, thete is still enough time to win the chanpionship.

get rid of thompson completely tbh

absolutely hopeless

• 2 weeks later...

Heart coach John Aloisi revealed after his side's 0-0 draw with Sydney FC that Grella is still a minimum of three weeks away from playing following a recent setback that forced the club to ease back his training.

But Aloisi was comfortable in the belief his former Australian teammate would still end up playing plenty of A-League football this season. A stance reiterated by Munn: “If Vince played just the last 10 games of the season for us, it will have been a worthwhile exercise,” he said. “We started the season without him, and we didn’t think he would be coming. But he did come and we were delighted to get him.

“Right now, he’s two weeks behind schedule. We knew it was likely to be six-to-eight weeks after his arrival before he would be able to play, and our original aim was the Perth game this weekend, but then when he played in a trial game a few weeks ago he pulled up really sore.

“He didn’t have an injury, he was just sore, and the medical advice was to pull back and start again. We’ve got a fantastic high performance manager in Tom Reddin here, and he is doing everything right with Vince.

“There’s no way we’re going to rush Vince – that would be silly. If he came back early and tore a hamstring, and was out for six-to-eight weeks, there would be no winners out of that.

"Vince knows his body, and knows where he’s at, and our staff know how to handle the process.”

Grella was hounded by injuries during the previous four years of his playing career, with Blackburn Rovers in the English Premier League. Heart said he needs to be able to take increased loads at training before he plays a competitive match.

Aloisi said it was hoped Grella would be able to take part in another trial match this week, using the club’s contracted players and several borrowed players from a lower league to help make up two teams.

Heart has been depleted by injuries and players on Socceroos duty in Hong Kong for the EAFF East Asian Games qualifying tournament.

“Vince is still a few weeks away from playing,” Aloisi said. “We had to taper off with him, and in the last two weeks we’ve picked up again with him, and he’s feeling good. We just have to make sure he builds properly and that when he does come in to play, he’s ready.”

Munn said Heart is hoping Grella would be ready to make his debut in the Week 12 local derby game at home against Melbourne Victory on 22 December, but that there was no pressure to meet that date.

“I think the derby game would be magic, but it might be a week or two after that,” Munn said. “He’s training well, and doing his rehab. We just have to see how he progresses from here.”

If Grella is able to make it back for the Week 14 home game against Newcastle Jets on 1 January, that would still make it possible for him to play 14 regular-season games and the finals – provided Heart finishes in the top six.

Munn said that Grella, while he hasn’t been able to play yet, has already proved a tremendous acquisition to the club with his off-field work.

“Vince hasn’t come back to earn a lot of money,” Munn said. “It’s not about him sitting on the sidelines injured and earning money. What he’s earning is not in the same ball-park as the earnings of the marquee-type players at other clubs.

“He came back to contribute to the game, and apart from training he is certainly earning his dollars with the time he spends promoting the club and mentoring our younger players. The value of the time he puts in with the young guys can’t be measured.

“We are thrilled to have Vince, and we said from the start that he won’t play until he’s physically ready.”

Aloisi said that when Grella was ready to play, he would come straight into the A-League side.

“I don’t want to play him in the youth team or anything like that,” Aloisi said. “I’ll play him in a couple of friendlies, one of which should be this week, and then bring him into the first team, but he probably wouldn’t be able to start games straight away.

“The aim now is to have Vince available for the second half of the season, which still leaves a lot of games. We just have to build him up a bit more first.”

http://theworldgame....t-debut-on-hold Edited by LR9

At this point in time, does anybody think it was worth signing this guy?

Yes, he came at no risk, hasn't cost the club much and just having him around the club integrating with the squad and the younger guys is a privilege.

A gamble worth taking. We could still get 10+ games out of him and maybe a full season next year, if we get him right now.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

At this point in time, does anybody think it was worth signing this guy?

With each week passing the gamble looks less and less worth it. OK if we had a 36-game season, but by Christmas our season is half over.

All this back-room stuff is fine, but sooner or later we have to deliver results on the pitch. Taking up spaces in the squad with players who don't play is not smart really.

I understand he is good in the sense he can mentor the kids but we really needed someone who could help us more on the pitch.

A healthy CB would've been a better siging IMO. At this point in time, by the time he comes back, we may be out of the finals picture all together

Edited by kingofhearts

Since the AFC's very recent change to rank the Premiers higher than the Champions in terms of qualification for the ACL we have to start to change our thinking. The aim must be to win the league, not hope to make the 'finals.' So we can't afford to have crocks in the squad.

Having a finals series for the top six in a ten-team league has always been a farce IMO, and the ACF has realised this and acted accordingly.

We also need to move to a 36-match season ASAP if the A-League is going to be taken seriously. We need to get fair dinkum.

Went to training yesterday and he wasn't even training, just sitting there wearing casual clothes. Think he was only there cause they had a meeting after training.

One of us asked him how long and he said a few weeks. Apparently he was also a bit grumpy...

My feeling is that he will never play, but then I was told I'm too pessimistic.

Went to training yesterday and he wasn't even training, just sitting there wearing casual clothes. Think he was only there cause they had a meeting after training.

One of us asked him how long and he said a few weeks. Apparently he was also a bit grumpy...

If he never plays a senior game for us, he should give back every cent of his contract back to the club

If he never plays a senior game for us, he should give back every cent of his contract back to the club

He couldn't possibly be on anything more than a pay per game contract. If he isn't then legitimately fold the club, because that would be rediculously stupid.

Culina was a far better gamble for Sydney than Grella for us.

No it wasn't. :droy: Culina had a severe injury when he was picked up by Sydney that looked as if would prevent him from ever playing again without intense and expensive rehab. Grella is just unfit having not played properly for two years.

No it wasn't. :droy: Culina had a severe injury when he was picked up by Sydney that looked as if would prevent him from ever playing again without intense and expensive rehab. Grella is just unfit having not played properly for two years.

So Grella has a rolled ankle????

Culina has known to be putting in the physio work for a long while. Yes, his knee issue held him out for a year and I think someone posted about the severity of the injury. But then to say that Grella is a better choice than Culina seems strange given Culina is back to starting for Sydney, while Grella is in civvys at training?

So Grella has a rolled ankle????

Culina has known to be putting in the physio work for a long while. Yes, his knee issue held him out for a year and I think someone posted about the severity of the injury. But then to say that Grella is a better choice than Culina seems strange given Culina is back to starting for Sydney, while Grella is in civvys at training?

Culina is back after three years completely out. I doubt anyone other than Branko Culina legitimately during those three years thought he would play professional football again. Branko and Jason were kicked out of Newcastle last year for a bloody good reason.

Meanwhile VInnie played 4 games last season in top flight english football, was even selected for the bench against Chelsea in May this year. Was not a gamble in the first place imo, given the above assertions of how little money he is on, just effort for the club to get him back to full fitness especially given his late signing. And certainly he was not anything close to Culina's gamble considering all that had transpired.

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

Grella arrived at the club with over 20 different soft tissue injuries. He was unfit and had done no pre-season. He can get put back together but clearly it's a complex task that will take time. JA needs to be patient and trust his medical team and resist the temptation to involve 'gurus' who promise 'miracle cures'.