Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC - International Club Friendlies

haz

The Tards have just announced they will be playing Athletico Madrid in July at their home ground (Geelong). It is worth noting that since Heart was taken over we have only played one big name in Australia, Man City, which was originality meant to be behind close doors.  While Victory and both Sydney teams will be playing a few high profile friendlies over the next two seasons.

This brings up the argument that why can't we play any big name opposition in friendlies.  Is it because Manchester City don't want the spotlight on any rivals teams?, I know our membership/crowd numbers aren't big but it would attract at least 15k+ Euro snobs and neutrals who would get exposed to Melbourne City and players like the Fornarolis, Novillos, Mooys etc. Possibility enticing them to sign up for the season.

Just a thought... 

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

I don't see the appeal of big name friendlies tbh. Friendlies are usually shit games with neither team really trying. No way to build a fan-base by showing off a boring product. I got tickets to the International Champions Cup last year and it was awful. I pretty much just went to see Ronaldo and he got subbed after 25 minutes. I certainly get the appeal if its your big club coming over, eg. if you're a Liverpool fan their friendly against Victory would have been something you wouldn't want to miss, but otherwise I'd almost rather just go to Ballarat or Hume or something and watch us pump some third rate NPL side.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, haz said:

The Tards have just announced they will be playing Athletico Madrid in July at their home ground (Geelong). It is worth noting that since Heart was taken over we have only played one big name in Australia, Man City, which was originality meant to be behind close doors.  While Victory and both Sydney teams will be playing a few high profile friendlies over the next two seasons.

This brings up the argument that why can't we play any big name opposition in friendlies.  Is it because Manchester City don't want the spotlight on any rivals teams?, I know our membership/crowd numbers aren't big but it would attract at least 15k+ Euro snobs and neutrals who would get exposed to Melbourne City and players like the Fornarolis, Novillos, Mooys etc. Possibility enticing them to sign up for the season.

Just a thought... 

I think you make a very good point. The ability to get the Club's brand out there, even if it's overshadowed by the "Euro-snob" element, should make these pre season games a must.  I'd imagine the fans interested in these teams are the biggest untapped market - it's silly not to at least try to get them 

14 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I don't see the appeal of big name friendlies tbh. Friendlies are usually shit games with neither team really trying. No way to build a fan-base by showing off a boring product. I got tickets to the International Champions Cup last year and it was awful. I pretty much just went to see Ronaldo and he got subbed after 25 minutes. I certainly get the appeal if its your big club coming over, eg. if you're a Liverpool fan their friendly against Victory would have been something you wouldn't want to miss, but otherwise I'd almost rather just go to Ballarat or Hume or something and watch us pump some third rate NPL side.

That is my point, potentially say 5 neutral fans would come to just see a Messi or Ronaldo, but 1 out of those 5 will leave wanting to sign up for a Melbourne City membership.

Edited by haz

2 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Regardless of that trophy, this is something that would certainly interest me. The whole group coming together for pre season friendlies to play for a trophy only open to those group clubs.

I think this would actually be unique. Only problem not all teams play in the same calendars. So some teams would be playing important games. But if it could be juggled and even now and then play games at AAMI would be amazing. 

24 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Regardless of that trophy, this is something that would certainly interest me. The whole group coming together for pre season friendlies to play for a trophy only open to those group clubs.

Just think of all that sky blue. So much synergy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think this would actually be unique. Only problem not all teams play in the same calendars. So some teams would be playing important games. But if it could be juggled and even now and then play games at AAMI would be amazing. 

This is one of the things I most wanted to see happen when CFG first came into being. After a year or two I figured it was never going to happen, not least because a sizable portion of Manchester City's yearly revenues come from invites to competitions like the International Champions Cup, so they just don't have the time to compete in a tournament which they wouldn't get an entrance fee for (or, not one that UEFA would be happy about, anyway).

3 hours ago, Falastur said:

This is one of the things I most wanted to see happen when CFG first came into being. After a year or two I figured it was never going to happen, not least because a sizable portion of Manchester City's yearly revenues come from invites to competitions like the International Champions Cup, so they just don't have the time to compete in a tournament which they wouldn't get an entrance fee for (or, not one that UEFA would be happy about, anyway).

My very good friend Malmsey has started a thread on this on "City Voice." He'd welcome any posts in that thread supporting the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2016 at 0:10 AM, jw1739 said:

My very good friend Malmsey has started a thread on this on "City Voice." He'd welcome any posts in that thread supporting the idea.

Sorry, didn't manage to respond at the time. I did look for his comment on there but couldn't locate it. I think perhaps it had disappeared already as comments only seem to remain visible for a week or two unless I'm missing something obvious here (honestly, I don't really use City Voice much), although the website hardly seems ideal for phone browsers, which is what I was using anyway.

10 hours ago, Falastur said:

Sorry, didn't manage to respond at the time. I did look for his comment on there but couldn't locate it. I think perhaps it had disappeared already as comments only seem to remain visible for a week or two unless I'm missing something obvious here (honestly, I don't really use City Voice much), although the website hardly seems ideal for phone browsers, which is what I was using anyway.

It's under "Discussions" in the thread entitled "Pre-Season International Friendlies." 

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it as the Melbourne version of "City Voice" is more or less dead most of the time. FFS I don't know why these things are set up if the club is not going to respond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It's under "Discussions" in the thread entitled "Pre-Season International Friendlies." 

I'm not surprised you couldn't find it as the Melbourne version of "City Voice" is more or less dead most of the time. FFS I don't know why these things are set up if the club is not going to respond.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I've been slowly getting more fed up of the lack of fan interaction CFG wants to show - they used to hold regular Q&A panels with fans back in Manchester but cancelled them almost immediately when Soriano came in back in 2012. So far as I can see, City Voice doesn't really trickle back to the board, it's just a way of making the fans think they are being heard. Probably why I've made a grand total of zero attempts to post there in the past.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 3

Don't let me stop you guys but it just struck me that all they really wanted was for people to get on there and say "how wonderful the club is".  I'm all for praising someone for a job well done but I'm not sure you need a specific website for it.

I won't be back on it.