Melbourne Football

Josip Tadic Thread

jw1739

--------------------------Bolton---------------------------

Marrone----Vrankovic----Gray/Colosimo----Behich

-------Germano-------Gerhardt--------Garcia--------

------------Dugandzic----------Fred-----------------

---------------------------Tadic------------------------

Too difficult to pick subs but that would be my ideal 11.

You don't see Bolton as better? He was our player of the season! And you don't think he's better than some no name keeper who's never started?? Why?

Not my player of the season. Not even in my first 11.

Look I know he's a favourite in these here parts, but as a keeper I can't stand the guy. Here are MY reasons:

1. slow off his line, err thats when he actually comes off his line.

2. doesn't communicate with his defenders. not an organiser, does not "own the box", too "passive" a personality for a keeper

3. When HE fucks up, he blames his defenders.

4. slow reflexes.

5. poor kick.

6. take a look at this weeks game: the goal that wasn't was HIS fault, beaten at the near post. The goal that was, he just watched the ball go across him. There was a cross where came off his line and totally missed the ball, he ended up in the middle of nowhere, lucky the shot hit a defender.

8. Fucking annoying habit of playing his cat and mouse game with the opposition instead of picking the ball up quickly and throwing it out to our defenders, giving time for the opposition to set their defense up.

9. I have taken about a dozen friends who have never seen him and its the same comment:"Who is this plonker, he is SHIT".

7. In summary I see him as a liability.

--------------------------Bolton---------------------------

Marrone----Vrankovic----Gray/Colosimo----Behich

-------Germano-------Gerhardt--------Garcia--------

------------Dugandzic----------Fred-----------------

---------------------------Tadic------------------------

Too difficult to pick subs but that would be my ideal 11.

Based on form, why is Dugnadzic in your starting 11?

Based on form, why is Dugnadzic in your starting 11?

Missed the CCM match but apparently he was a class act playing in midfield? Don't see Hoff or Kalmar, as well as they played last night, being close to Dugandzic at his best and surely Willo would be best coming on as an impact sub? Haven't seen anything special in Thompson since the derby last season tbh.

When you have players from the Balkan part of the world, you play the ball to their feet. Tadic, like Babalj (and Kalmar, Dugandzic), is no different. Great touch and close ball control. Poor in the air. Get it to Tadic's feet and he'll do the rest.

The understanding with Garcia was also a highlight. You can tell both have played at a higher level and think on the same wavelength.

My best 11

-------------Redmayne ( I don't see how Bolton is any better)

---Behich----------Vrankovic----Gerhadt----------Marrone--

--------Grella--------------------------Germano----------------

------------------------Fred-------------------------------------

--Williams----------------------------------Garcia-------------

------------------------Tadic-----------------------------------

Amen

• Like 1

I actually agree, Bolton is a weak link :/

It's tough performing your job in front of the public, but I also see Bolton as a weak link, for all the reasons already stated. I also see Colosimo and Thompson as weak links. It was Bolton and Colosimo who started playing silly buggers at the back and allowed the momentum to pass to Brisbane when we were 1-0 up. And Matty Thompson is having a horror time of it - so many times he takes an extra touch on the ball and turns into trouble.

Edited by jw1739

As discussed with JA at the NYL yesterday:

With a full squad to pick from his best 15 is:

(4-2-3-1)

----------------------- Bolton ------------------------

Marrone --- Gerhardt --- Colosimo --- Behich

------------------ Grella ------------------------------

------------------------------- Thompson -----------

Dugandzic ---------- Fred © ------------- Garcia

------------------------- Tadic -----------------------

B: Redmayne, Vrankovic, Germano, Williams

Edit: But he wont get much of a chance to play this with international duties, injuries, suspensions, etc.

Edited by LR9

It's tough performing your job in front of the public, but I also see Bolton as a weak link, for all the reasons already stated. I also see Colosimo and Thompson as weak links. It was Bolton and Colosimo who started playing silly buggers at the back and allowed the momentum to pass to Brisbane when we were 1-0 up. And Matty Thompson is having a horror time of it - so many times he takes and extra touch on the ball and turns into trouble.

I know its tough being in front of a huge public as I've been in that situation in football life, a game in front of people is so different compared to a game in practice. What I've noticed with Heart and most A-League teams in general is that most teams tend to focus on the attacking side of the game, so they'll invest in midfielders and strikers with the hope that they can outscore the opponent or out posses them. I think if Heart wants to get the upper hand we could use improvement in the defensive department. First of all defenders and goalies don't cost as much as strikers or midfielders which is already a plus because Heart doesn't have a lot of money to spend. I think our LB spot is pretty well secured but just as you I see Colosimo as a weak link, and even though our 2 youngsters Vrankovic and the other young defender we had playing ( can't remember his name) are good talents they are still young and can make a lot of silly mistakes. Now if we had 2 more experienced defenders to pair up with them we'd have the perfect combo. I'm not sure how good Grey is, but if we were to bring in for example another CB at the age of 27-29 he would be in his thirties by the time Vrankovic has gained enough experience and play every game of the season. I'm not sure about our RB spot as I haven't honestly payed much attention to it. Last of all we have the goalie position which I feel is our weakest. I've read up on Boltons history and he seems to have been a great player, but he is now 38 and abilities decline as age grows, even with goalies. His countless mistakes make me want to to turn off the stream. Most A-Leauge teams seem to lack a solid goalie tbh. The only goalie I actually like in the A-Leauge is Ryan from CCM. Now if Heart had a goalie that could pull off some wonder saves it would help us tremendously.

If my post is too long, what I'm trying to say is, invest in defense.

Not my player of the season. Not even in my first 11.

Look I know he's a favourite in these here parts, but as a keeper I can't stand the guy. Here are MY reasons:

1. slow off his line, err thats when he actually comes off his line.

2. doesn't communicate with his defenders. not an organiser, does not "own the box", too "passive" a personality for a keeper

3. When HE fucks up, he blames his defenders.

4. slow reflexes.

5. poor kick.

6. take a look at this weeks game: the goal that wasn't was HIS fault, beaten at the near post. The goal that was, he just watched the ball go across him. There was a cross where came off his line and totally missed the ball, he ended up in the middle of nowhere, lucky the shot hit a defender.

8. Fucking annoying habit of playing his cat and mouse game with the opposition instead of picking the ball up quickly and throwing it out to our defenders, giving time for the opposition to set their defense up.

9. I have taken about a dozen friends who have never seen him and its the same comment:"Who is this plonker, he is SHIT".

7. In summary I see him as a liability.

Ill have you know he gave me his season 1 jersey, hand signed by him and the whole team which now hangs on my wall.. Hence I think he's the greatest a-league footballer..

Making him my hero and I'm pretty sure a club hero. Not only is he brilliant in field, he has done a lot for the club, keeping cliniques etc.

he has one of the best set of reflexes in the league so I'm not sure who you've been watching, and he is always consistent and reliable.

We don't sing we love you Bolton for no reason my friend. Oh no

Ill have you know he gave me his season 1 jersey, hand signed by him and the whole team which now hangs on my wall.. Hence I think he's the greatest a-league footballer..

Making him my hero and I'm pretty sure a club hero. Not only is he brilliant in field, he has done a lot for the club, keeping cliniques etc.

he has one of the best set of reflexes in the league so I'm not sure who you've been watching, and he is always consistent and reliable.

We don't sing we love you Bolton for no reason my friend. Oh no

I don't think anyone is denying that Bolton has been important for the club. He has been an amazing keeper for all the teams he's played for, but at the same time it's important to remember that as players age they tend to become more risky choices. I mean look at Giggs in Manchester United, a wonderful player who served the club for a record number of matches, and is a considered a hero by everyone. But at same time everyone knows it's time for him to hang up his boots not because we don't respect him, but because we don't him to ruin his reputation by forcing himself to keep up with the youngsters when he struggles. Bolton made a few bad calls against Brisbane, and eventually he will have to retire, and we need to know that we have somebody we can rely on when he does. If we never play Redmayne how are we supposed to know he is any good? Or if we have the chance to sign a good solid young goal keeper why pass it up? Club legends are to be respected, but nobody is bigger than the club. Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone is denying that Bolton has been important for the club. He has been an amazing keeper for all the teams he's played for, but at the same time it's important to remember that as players age they tend to become more risky choices. I mean look at Giggs in Manchester United, a wonderful player who served the club for a record number of matches, and is a considered a hero by everyone. But at same time everyone knows it's time for him to hang up his boots not because we don't respect him, but because we don't him to ruin his reputation by forcing himself to keep up with the youngsters when he struggles. Bolton made a few bad calls against Brisbane, and eventually he will have to retire, and we need to know that we have somebody we can rely on when he does. If we never play Redmayne how are we supposed to know he is any good? Or if we have the chance to sign a good solid young goal keeper why pass it up? Club legends are to be respected, but nobody is bigger than the club.

Well said!! However I still think Bolton should definitely still be first choice. That being said redmayne should get a run against sides like Wellington maybe?

We signed Redmayne back in January because it was widely expected that Bolton would retire at the end of 2011-12, and we knew that we would not keep either Mattei or Roganovic. It was pretty clear at the time that Redders was intended to be our no. 1 GK for the current season.

Bolton failed to get the media gig he wanted, changed his mind, was offered and signed a one-year extension, and left Redmayne high and dry. We have two good young keepers in the youth squad - Bray and Maynard - but now they face being left on the sidelines because Redmayne needs some game time.

Quite frankly, I think we've stuffed it up again.

Friday night he wasn't great. Flapped at 3 crosses and if roar werent playing like spastics they couldve punished us. Let's not even mention his kicking, probably the worse in the league. Redmayne will be knocking on the door second half of the season I reckon.

We have to remember though we probably would've have made finals last season if it wasn't for Bolton. He saved 3 penalties in the last 10 games I think, didn't win player of the season for nothing.

All this talk about Redmayne on the Josip Tadic thread calling for Bolton to be replaced leaves me a bit confused.

I have not seen Andrew play but I am aware he has a very good reputation. Who has seen him play a number of games and what are your comments?

What have been Bolton's problems. Sure he hoofs it, but how many times has he saved us?

Redmayne will get his chance and maybe his own thread. In the meantime I have brought up the Bolton re-signs with MHFC thread to continue this conversation.

Back to Josip Tadic...

As discussed with JA at the NYL yesterday:

With a full squad to pick from his best 15 is:

(4-2-3-1)

----------------------- Bolton ------------------------

Marrone --- Gerhardt --- Colosimo --- Behich

------------------ Grella ------------------------------

------------------------------- Thompson -----------

Dugandzic ---------- Fred © ------------- Garcia

------------------------- Tadic -----------------------

B: Redmayne, Vrankovic, Germano, Williams

Edit: But he wont get much of a chance to play this with international duties, injuries, suspensions, etc.

Don't see why he wouldn't be able to play his best 11 at least 15 times this season

IMO put Germano in for Thompson and that would be out best 11. Germano would give us more run in the midfield, and is a better passer and decision maker than thompson

All this talk about Redmayne on the Josip Tadic thread calling for Bolton to be replaced leaves me a bit confused.

I have not seen Andrew play but I am aware he has a very good reputation. Who has seen him play a number of games and what are your comments?

What have been Bolton's problems. Sure he hoofs it, but how many times has he saved us?

Redmayne will get his chance and maybe his own thread. In the meantime I have brought up the Bolton re-signs with MHFC thread to continue this conversation.

Back to Josip Tadic...

Peter,

One of the fundamental laws of threads is that "If left active for long enough, each and every thread will go off-topic."

• Like 1

We signed Redmayne back in January because it was widely expected that Bolton would retire at the end of 2011-12, and we knew that we would not keep either Mattei or Roganovic. It was pretty clear at the time that Redders was intended to be our no. 1 GK for the current season.

Bolton failed to get the media gig he wanted, changed his mind, was offered and signed a one-year extension, and left Redmayne high and dry. We have two good young keepers in the youth squad - Bray and Maynard - but now they face being left on the sidelines because Redmayne needs some game time.

Quite frankly, I think we've stuffed it up again.

I think our entire defense needs a step up to be honest. Think we stuffed the entire defense sector.

Agreed, but it was always going to be difficult to replace good and hamil straight away, especially with our policy with youngsters. However I would love to see gray given a chance!

Still don't understand why Grey has been signed as a Visa player and not given a chance. Even though the 2 youngsters that played for us seemed pretty solid, especially Vrankovic.

Vrankovic had looked the more composed of our defenders so far this season. Both colisimo and gerhardt tend to throw themselves recklessly into tackles. Having vrankovic and colisimo is probably my preferred partnership at cb. Even v Brisbane our CB's regularly needlessly over committed themselves putting us in dangerous positions. Our great work at the other end covered the cracks but still plenty of room for improvement.

Still don't understand why Grey has been signed as a Visa player and not given a chance. Even though the 2 youngsters that played for us seemed pretty solid, especially Vrankovic.

Yeah that's it, if you have a visa player he better be worth it!!

Don't get me started on this decision. A Visa player should be one who is a fixture in your side. Imagine having a proper winger as a Visa talent. Someone who can run past defenders and one that can actually cross. Yet we have wasted it on a 4th choice Central defender.......

Sometimes this club makes you mind boggle.

• Like 2

Don't get me started on this decision. A Visa player should be one who is a fixture in your side. Imagine having a proper winger as a Visa talent. Someone who can run past defenders and one that can actually cross. Yet we have wasted it on a 4th choice Central defender.......

Oh well its a step up on the NYL Striker we had last season (Who could not score in the NYL either).

• Like 1

I don't share the same opinion on the idea of having ANOTHER Visa player be part of the strike force. As I've said in earlier posts, Heart, the same as all the teams in the A-Leauge, seem to think that they key to being the best club is simply to make all your Visa players be either midfielders or strikers, while the defenders and goalkeepers are usually considered lower then the others. I mean we can easily look at the money invested in Strikers, Midfielders compared to Defenders/Goalies and you'll see that Defenders/Goalies are losing the battle. We can't win games by simply hoping to outscore our opposition every single game ( Ironic, coming from a Manchester fan). Our only Visa player is Grey and he isn't even getting game time. Our defense is by far the weakest link in our team. Now if we good a solid back 5, with 2-4 talented players I could see Heart easily dominating. If we have a solid Goal keeper, a good experienced CB to partner Vrankovic and Mitch, along with a pacey RB we'd be set.