Melbourne Football

Steven Gray

DutchPride

after reading that article, it comes across as that he'll be a starting 11 player come round 1 since JA quite likes him.

I'm guessing our defensive half will look something like thi:

------------------Bolton---------------

Marrone--Colosimo/Hamill--Gray---Behich

----------------Gerhardt---------------

Hamill may get the starting spot this season, will we have a full squad before our first pre season match?

It is encouraging to hear JA recruiting a more mature player than JVS seemed to want anything to do with. At 30 Gray could still give a number of years of service if he works out well. It is good to have some men alongside the boys to help them develop and teach them from real life experience. Gray might be as good an influence off the park as it sounds he is on it. With him, Colosimo and Hamill hopefully our back line will be very solid.

He said he would play in the EPL or overseas. But I think the chances are still in the 0 - 0.5% range. Well, that's probably overstating it.

The more relevant question might be, would we have signed Gray in the first place if we knew Hamill was considering leaving? It seems Gray was signed as our 3rd or 4th choice CB, but looks like he might be our 2nd right now, and we don't have a visa spot to recruit another with.

Edited by Sash

Didnt Gold Coast do the exact same thing?

Dont see how that part of it is unlikely, paying out Gray's contract which is probably 50k is an insignificant figure when we are dealing with Michael Owen who we are likely to sign on a heavily discounted wage.

The thing that makes it far more unlikely is that we have clearly signed our 1st choice striker for the season.

and that we could be down to 1 CB if hamill/good leave

• 4 months later...

Questions need to be asked of this signing. A VISA player who can't get a game when we have one of the worst defenders in the league in Colosimo playing every week.

The club has been a shambles. Questions needed to be asked of JD and SM.

Beckham is now so vital missing out on him would mean something drastic for the club and its long term viability.

Have heard from within that there are serious concerns about his speed once he was assessed in preseason training and hence a reluctance to play him. Makes the signing even more perplexing. Having said that, speed as a centre-back is not the only thing, and the EPL with Arsenal and Chelsea, and even Colossimo would bear that out. It's time to test him out. If it works, well and good. If not, then move on. But the way things are going something needs to give. The way the defence is leaking with bad errors and ill discipline is killing all of us on the forum. I'd rather see us try and, if need be, fail rather than put up with the current situation. Either way it will answer a critical question.

Have heard from within that there are serious concerns about his speed once he was assessed in preseason training and hence a reluctance to play him. Makes the signing even more perplexing. Having said that, speed as a centre-back is not the only thing, and the EPL with Arsenal and Chelsea, and even Colossimo would bear that out. It's time to test him out. If it works, well and good. If not, then move on. But the way things are going something needs to give. The way the defence is leaking with bad errors and ill discipline is killing all of us on the forum. I'd rather see us try and, if need be, fail rather than put up with the current situation. Either way it will answer a critical question.

But he played for us in Hawaii...how could we possibly sign him and then find out he's too slow?

Questions need to be asked of this signing. A VISA player who can't get a game when we have one of the worst defenders in the league in Colosimo playing every week.

The club has been a shambles. Questions needed to be asked of JD and SM.

Beckham is now so vital missing out on him would mean something drastic for the club and its long term viability.

We could easily do a Gold Coast United and sack him, a la Alex Smith last year to free up a visa spot.

He told my mate, who he is good friends with, he's injured atm but is more interested in getting his bar up and running right now.

Visa player, can't get onto the bench, allegedly assessed post-signing and too slow, allegedly more interested in setting up his own business...one-year contract, probably on the minimum. I rather liked what I saw of him on the field, and he seems a nice enough bloke. But this is a business, not a charity. Call him into the office and tell him that it hasn't worked out and suggest he retires gracefully and pay him out on his contract.

All these threads lead to the same basic conclusion - as members we want to see more visible professionalism from the club.

All these threads lead to the same basic conclusion - as members we want to see more visible professionalism from the club.

This ffs.

I legitimately have to question what exactly the club does all day outside of training. There should be much better transperancy than what we get from Twitter, and one 'fan's forum'. My understanding of how AFL clubs work is that they have AGM's, club reports etc. Why can't we have this?

In fact it's completely misleading to use the term 'member.' The so-called members of A-League clubs are nothing more than season-ticket holders. We have no rights of representation to the syndicate, nor does the syndicate have any obligation to us except to honour the season-ticket.