Melbourne Football

2012-13 Membership

hakz7

In terms of attendances and memberships, I don't agree with the pessimists. I don't believe Heskey is a significant drawcard at Newcastle away matches, and for us to draw 7,125 on a hot afternoon at a lousy kick-off time for many people with a disrupted public transport system (yet again) and with our poor home record shows that we are slowly building a core of supporters who turn up on a regular basis come what may.

Was interested to hear the comment on the train home that the club is not doing enough to connect with existing members. Basically criticising the weekly e-mails exhorting members to make the town red-and-white or something similar, but actually saying nothing about the club and its activities at all. Example given was that we hear about the community programme but there's never any information about which schools we've visited etc. etc.

7,125 for us against Newcastle was only 1,500 less that Adelaide had when they hosted us the week before.

I don't really want to measure ourselves against Adelaide.

7,500 is not feasible for the long term of our club. That is a fact. I'm sick of excuses, bad timing, transport, too hot, too cold, it's pathetic.

We live in fucking Melbourne. Have to sort this shit out.

• Like 1

7,500 is not feasible for the long term of our club. That is a fact. I'm sick of excuses, bad timing, transport, too hot, too cold, it's pathetic.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to give excuses, but the factors I raised do actually influence attendances whether we think they should or not.

Why do we think our attendances should be better? We've all pretty much agreed that winning more matches at home is the key, and more recently that signing David and Victoria Beckham would get things moving in the right direction. Until one or other of those things occurs the best we can hope for is a slow organic growth as football and Melbourne Heart slowly enters mainstream public consciousness. The latter being why the club engages with the community the way it does.

We've chewed all this over a thousand times before. Attendances in traditional football countries are in many cases not wonderful. In 2011-12 England League 2 crowds averaged 4,477 and England League 1 averaged 7,528. (See http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/1c/b7/0,,10794~177948,00.pdf)

There is no magic bullet.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to give excuses, but the factors I raised do actually influence attendances whether we think they should or not.

Why do we think our attendances should be better? We've all pretty much agreed that winning more matches at home is the key, and more recently that signing David and Victoria Beckham would get things moving in the right direction. Until one or other of those things occurs the best we can hope for is a slow organic growth as football and Melbourne Heart slowly enters mainstream public consciousness. The latter being why the club engages with the community the way it does.

We've chewed all this over a thousand times before. Attendances in traditional football countries are in many cases not wonderful. In 2011-12 England League 2 crowds averaged 4,477 and England League 1 averaged 7,528. (See http://www.football-...4~177948,00.pdf)

There is no magic bullet.

I have a question for you though, would you rather spent 1.8m on Beckham and his wife, or 2-4 new strong players who can play for a few seasons?

I have a question for you though, would you rather spent 1.8m on Beckham and his wife, or 2-4 new strong players who can play for a few seasons?

The money for Beckham is reportedly coming from sponsors/corporates rather than the club's normal sources. Therefore I would go for Beckham. He would generate the cash to then go out and sign the other players.

10k average sans derbies would be an amazing achievement. The Fan Engagement manager David Lyon is useless. Two weeks to answer a fairly straight forward email. Doesn't he know I'm kind of a big deal?

David pls.

This is the problem. The club have some questionable employees working for them.

Questions need to be asked. Weren't they for the fans, a community club? Sounds more like a nice thing to say than to do.

Wasn't the RWU around to provide a voice for the fans. Now we be a great time to have a meeting I feel. Yarraside and RWU together trying to figure out what the hell is actually going on, suggest idea's and engagements we the fans can do to help. The club have question marks on them, but we can help. We should help.

The people at the club will come and go. We the fans will be around to witness them come and go, hence why we should get involved now.

To answer your question @jw1739 I personally think in the Melbourne market we should be attracted near 12,000 people to a game (except Victory games). You may say that is too high, but it is that small minded attitude the club has that has stopped us making an dent on this. 5 million people we have to attract and we only get 5-8,000 a game? FAIL. Massive FAIL.

There is so much that the club can do to be the leaders in match day entertainment and on going fan support but like Ando has experienced they don't want to listen. When we were new and they were on their knees begging for support they were happy to engage, it seems now that enthusiasm has downgraded.

Sick of excuses from the club. There should be no obstacle in trying to get your club to be number one. If the FFA forbid you to do things, fuck 'em. Push the boundaries, take a stand. We can beg and crawl for $2 million plus a heap more perks when we decide to work for something, but always cry poor on other occassions. As I said, sick to death of excuses.

Start winning at home, start getting on the front foot in all areas of enhancing customers to your game and change your attitude is what I am strongly advising the people at my club.

I just saw the flyers for "Help us get a Full House". What an absolute nightmare. The graphics, the language, the layout and message are all high school efforts. I just shake my head at the club at the moment.

• Like 3

This is the problem. The club have some questionable employees working for them.

Questions need to be asked. Weren't they for the fans, a community club? Sounds more like a nice thing to say than to do.

Wasn't the RWU around to provide a voice for the fans. Now we be a great time to have a meeting I feel. Yarraside and RWU together trying to figure out what the hell is actually going on, suggest idea's and engagements we the fans can do to help. The club have question marks on them, but we can help. We should help.

The people at the club will come and go. We the fans will be around to witness them come and go, hence why we should get involved now.

To answer your question @jw1739 I personally think in the Melbourne market we should be attracted near 12,000 people to a game (except Victory games). You may say that is too high, but it is that small minded attitude the club has that has stopped us making an dent on this. 5 million people we have to attract and we only get 5-8,000 a game? FAIL. Massive FAIL.

There is so much that the club can do to be the leaders in match day entertainment and on going fan support but like Ando has experienced they don't want to listen. When we were new and they were on their knees begging for support they were happy to engage, it seems now that enthusiasm has downgraded.

Sick of excuses from the club. There should be no obstacle in trying to get your club to be number one. If the FFA forbid you to do things, fuck 'em. Push the boundaries, take a stand. We can beg and crawl for $2 million plus a heap more perks when we decide to work for something, but always cry poor on other occassions. As I said, sick to death of excuses.

Start winning at home, start getting on the front foot in all areas of enhancing customers to your game and change your attitude is what I am strongly advising the people at my club.

I just saw the flyers for "Help us get a Full House". What an absolute nightmare. The graphics, the language, the layout and message are all high school efforts. I just shake my head at the club at the moment.

You've read my mind. My feeling is that our club is run by gutless people who have no passion for the game. I've only been supporting Heart for a few months, so maybe I have no right to say these things but I can no longer hold myself back. First of all from what I've realized that our club has hired people who have absolutely no idea what the fuck they're doing. They should take this season and the entire up coming preseason if needed to completely reshape the club.It's not that fucking hard. Get rid of all the shits that are doing nothing for the club. Maybe even hire some Yarraside members to help if anybody is up for it.The club has stated that they're goal is to bond with the community, so fucking do that. Organize football tournaments around the city of Melbourne, scout the best young players and grow them. Slowly grow them, for gods sake even fucking make a partnership with the AIS and make them grow our young talents and they offer us their best players. This way we can actually grow some community bond and a proper well organized youth team and selection and not just be handed scraps from what everyone doesn't want. We need to stop acting like fucking beggars and grow some balls.

Get some proper management for the players and the club in general. Like I said above I'm sure even some Yarraside members would happily help the club with everything they can. We need the basics and stop doing this fake highschool drama bullshit. Get proper facilities. If La Trobe is being upgraded right now then use some better place. Also get the players a proper workout trainer to train and get them on the right diet. Teams which are physically prepared and can last running for the entire 90 minutes have a big chance of winning games. Also, we need to get rid of the deadwood players too.

We need a change,and we need it as soon as possible.

Edited by Vlad

10k average sans derbies would be an amazing achievement. The Fan Engagement manager David Lyon is useless. Two weeks to answer a fairly straight forward email. Doesn't he know I'm kind of a big deal?

David pls.

Sorry, this probably came over a bit harsh, I'm sure David is working as well as he can given the club's finances. The lesson here is not to get in the forum after a poor game and a few drinks.

Ok, what about comparing to CCM, who pulled just over 9,000 in 35+ degree heat against Brisbane yesterday?

• Like 1

Think Dave has been a bit distracted over the last few weeks due to his wife giving birth. Hopefully will improve now!

But I think the point being made, generally and not specifically about DL, is that the organization has to have a Plan B to take care of these sorts of situations. Whether it's the playing group or the administration or the cleaning contractor, when someone isn't available you have to have someone to cover.

It's a fundamental in dealing with the public that every item of inwards correspondence, whether telephone, e-mail or letter, must be dealt with in a timely and proper manner. It's a massive negative when this does not happen.

No offence to David but in all honesty if he is in charge of marketing and member retention, well you have to ask is he doing a good job? As stated did you think the seasons marketing has been to a high level?

In a small example here, we don't have many members so you would think an email from a member could be answered within two weeks? Or is that too harsh?

I don't mean to be harsh to you mate I actually respect your opinion on here but again with the finance excuse. If you had a passion for a job you would find a way. All I hear from this club is excuses. Poor us. It has got to stop.

Ok, what about comparing to CCM, who pulled just over 9,000 in 35+ degree heat against Brisbane yesterday?

Small town comparing to a massive city. Even though we share this city, we have got to be comparable to none of these clubs.

People have to realise Melbourne is the sporting capital of the WORLD. This is not some gimmick but an actual process decided upon. In this climate when we will fill a stadium to watch QLD vs NSW in rugby, you have to question how and why we are where we are.

The club is simply not relating to the public. This should not be happening.

What are they doing to fix this?

I agree.

Too many mistakes or errors of judgement on his behalf.

It's not his fault, he is new to the sport, new to Melbourne

I get that he's learning but we are not a club that can make these sorts of mistakes and get away with it.

He's probably a nice guy to have a beer with, but we need someone who knows what hes doing.

This is not personal I don't know David, wouldn't know what he looked like.

Just stating what is happening.

This is my club, that I attend games, pay to be part of and love that I talk on a forum whilst at work. I want the best for my club, right now I'm not seeing that.

Small town comparing to a massive city. Even though we share this city, we have got to be comparable to none of these clubs.

People have to realise Melbourne is the sporting capital of the WORLD. This is not some gimmick but an actual process decided upon. In this climate when we will fill a stadium to watch QLD vs NSW in rugby, you have to question how and why we are where we are.

The club is simply not relating to the public. This should not be happening.

What are they doing to fix this?

First bolded sentence - are you saying we shouldn't compare our performance against other A-League Clubs? Bit strange considering that most companies compare themselves with others in the marketplace.

Second bolded sentence - who decided that Melbourne is the Sporting Capital of the World? The same people that decided the World Series of Baseball is only contested by American teams? A simple moinker that is pulled out for every tourism and sporting campaign by local and state governments doesn't determine what our membership base or figures should be.

Third bolded sentence - the Club must be relating to the public, because why are you and I members?

I agree with the sentiment of JW put forward when the comparison is made with lower English sides, who are financially stable but have membership of 5,000. As long as we maintain financial stability, we will be able to work on the membership aspects. As the CEO has mentioned, we are entering the market that is 5 years ahead of us.

This is not personal I don't know David, wouldn't know what he looked like.

Mate don't think anyone thought it was personal. I don't think any of the comments on here about anyone are personal attacks on the integrity or character of individuals. We all just want to see the Heart be a successful football club.

First bolded sentence - are you saying we shouldn't compare our performance against other A-League Clubs? Bit strange considering that most companies compare themselves with others in the marketplace.

Second bolded sentence - who decided that Melbourne is the Sporting Capital of the World? The same people that decided the World Series of Baseball is only contested by American teams? A simple moinker that is pulled out for every tourism and sporting campaign by local and state governments doesn't determine what our membership base or figures should be.

Third bolded sentence - the Club must be relating to the public, because why are you and I members?

I agree with the sentiment of JW put forward when the comparison is made with lower English sides, who are financially stable but have membership of 5,000. As long as we maintain financial stability, we will be able to work on the membership aspects. As the CEO has mentioned, we are entering the market that is 5 years ahead of us.

First point: wasn't talking about on field performance, I was talking about crowd and membership performance. We are not in little Central Coast we are in Melbourne. We should be wanting and aiming to lead the pack not be content sitting near this small market teams.

You compare us to English conference teams, mate have you been to England? Do you realise how flooded the market is? Premier League teams through to Conference teams there would be hundreds of clubs. We are battling with one in the same market with a large population, and only ten other teams. Again, these excuses or mindset is rubbish.

Second point: I don't understand what your saying. My point was in the world we are fortunate to live in a market that lives for sport. Like no other place on earth. Yet we are struggling with interest. You don't see an issue with this?

Point three: me and you are a small fraction of the public. Again do the math, how is 5,000 core supporters feasible or a good effort in a population of just Melbourne not including Victoria of 5 million people? Me and you are a very, very rare breed. This is the problem. Have to attract more of us.

I don't understand how people can sit back and say, oh well it's ok. I want my club around in ten, twenty, fifty years. I want my club aiming to be the best. I want Champions League, I want our own stadium, I want a state of the art academy, I want to be the best. I'm starting to feel what I want isn't what the club want. If not, or they have become complacent about this, changes need to happen.

Mate don't think anyone thought it was personal. I don't think any of the comments on here about anyone are personal attacks on the integrity or character of individuals. We all just want to see the Heart be a successful football club.

Just wanted to clarify this. I have no agenda against anyone, my issue is general in the whole club, and as you state, I want the best for this club. Currently we are not seeing the best. It is our right as members to speak up. Not everything the club does is going to be right, we have to make sure the best interest of the club is being done.

Didnt anyone else hear about the post-match members function on Saturday night?

I got a bunch of texts from mates saying that there was a post match function at AAMI Park Cafe. Al the players, staff & fans were there.

Was this only advertised for Premium members? Why not GA members?

Went out in the "Aloisi" Email sent to all members.

Absolutely. Fantastic for him and great news.

Natalie, do you agree he's out of his depth? I called last night and was put through to the media manager. I mentioned that a couple of passionate supporters are willing to volunteer their time and assist where possible. He thought it was a great idea and mentioned he'd let David know.

Not sure if I can say that he's out of his depth, but clearly things are not being run as well as they should. My only experience with Dave is through volunteering so not sure how everything else works and if there are other people helping him etc.

There is a RWU meeting coming up. I will bring up these issues you guys have discussed. Let me know if there's anything else you want me to bring up.

Not sure if I can say that he's out of his depth, but clearly things are not being run as well as they should. My only experience with Dave is through volunteering so not sure how everything else works and if there are other people helping him etc.

There is a RWU meeting coming up. I will bring up these issues you guys have discussed. Let me know if there's anything else you want me to bring up.

Get the RWU to have a meeting with the clubs hierarchy.

Get a clear understanding of what the situation is with the club, how they intend to grow the club and with what finances. Then ask the question, how much funding are the capable of obtaining for the needed scope of work needed to do the initiatives.

Then you can clearly see how we the supporters can assist them.

Also bring up the problems the supporters see. All evidence is well stated in threads on here.

Good work Natalie.