Melbourne Football

Goodwin - The Pain That Keeps Hurting

Sash

If Papas was valued more at Heart I have no doubt that Goodwin would have stayed. As well as Papas having many contacts with quality young players the talent would have been endless. It was Papas that brought Goodwin to Victoria in the first place after Adelaide were too blind not to pick him up.

Good luck to the kid, he is only trying to make a start in the game. The youth side had 3 or 4 more quality youngsters that probably could easily be signed up. Just dont take too long otherwise another club will come sniffing if they have good seasons in the VPL.

Losing Curtis Good concerns me a lot, but good luck to him. It is what all young players strive to be. If we were to lose say Marrone, Behich or Duganzic then I would be really worried.

Disagree he could consistently shoot and cross well - Two things Aziz struggles @ TBH.

At least ppl wont sing his craptastic Player Chant no more.

he struggles at them but i thought he had improved a lot at those areas this season from his first season (actually had some decent attempts on target, scored a brilliant goal and nice cross assist where babalj scored a header from in the CCM away game)

Hopefully with another pre-season of practising these areas of his game he can improve even more

If Papas was valued more at Heart I have no doubt that Goodwin would have stayed.

Not sure if srs.

Papas was working as Assistant Manager in a Youth team. He was offered the Assistant Manager position in an A-League team. Big wage and responsibility difference, chances don't come along every day, Heart has shown that it won't stand in the way of people if they want to leave for another higher paying opportunity.

Also, Papas was heavily involved in the formation, scouting and signing of our youth team. Even back to when we were having open trials of players.

To say that he was under-appreciated at Heart is basically glossing over his entire time at the club and a ridiculously unfounded and incorrect accusation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

in my opinion, Goodwin should've never been given the privilege of donning the Melbourne Heart kit. obviously he would've spoken to Papas about movng to India beforehand so...... :angry:

I think they were taking the piss, Goodwin is with Newcastle now. Papas is staying in India.Sounds like he is on a good paying wicket. To say Goodwin should not have been given the privilage of not playing in a Heart shirt is rediculous. We think it is ok for Curtis and Eli to go to better environments but not Goodwin. He was always going to be second fiddle for the left back spot behind Aziz. The kid is only trying to further his career. I think he would have been a great prospect at left mid with Aziz at left back. At least it is us that gave him his start and no one else. We may get him back one day. Who the fuck would want to go to India to further their career as a player. :-)

Goodwin should have been signed up as soon as we realized he had potential. massive blunder

Now he's at Newcastle and the bloke who brought him there has fucked off to India. Fair to say it was inexperience from Heart

We could not offer him a senior contract last season as we were at our squad maximum of 23. All we could do was to offer him a senior contract for 2012-13, which we did, but he preferred a higher offer from Newcastle.

I think we've learned from the mistake of starting the season with a full 23, and hence we aim to start this season with the minimum allowed. It probably cost us more games from Madaschi last season, and it probably cost us Goodwin next season.

I think they were taking the piss, Goodwin is with Newcastle now. Papas is staying in India.Sounds like he is on a good paying wicket. To say Goodwin should not have been given the privilage of not playing in a Heart shirt is rediculous. We think it is ok for Curtis and Eli to go to better environments but not Goodwin. He was always going to be second fiddle for the left back spot behind Aziz. The kid is only trying to further his career. I think he would have been a great prospect at left mid with Aziz at left back. At least it is us that gave him his start and no one else. We may get him back one day. Who the fuck would want to go to India to further their career as a player. :-)

the difference is that Eli and Curtis are moving on to bigger and better leagues. Goodwin is moving to Newcastle, in the same league as us. IMO he would get the same amount of playing time because Behich wouldve been pushed up to left wing and he'd have played left back.

out of curiosity, moving up there, whats he getting more than when he was here? 10,000? 50,000?

We could not offer him a senior contract last season as we were at our squad maximum of 23. All we could do was to offer him a senior contract for 2012-13, which we did, but he preferred a higher offer from Newcastle.

I think we've learned from the mistake of starting the season with a full 23, and hence we aim to start this season with the minimum allowed. It probably cost us more games from Madaschi last season, and it probably cost us Goodwin next season.

True we should never have had 23 players (inexperience again perhaps?) for the sake of having hacks like Maycon and Williams we instead could have had more flexibility during the season

• 1 month later...

Since things are fairly quiet thought I'd update anyone on here who still gives a shit about Goodwin. Jet's played the Canberra Rockets tonight.

The Rockets equalised three minutes later when Alex Oloriegbe pounced on a wayward back pass from Craig Goodwin and beat Jets goalkeeper Ben Kennedy in a one on one situation.

Six minutes after half time, the Jets scored their fourth of the match. Craig Goodwin atoned for his earlier error when he unleashed a wicked shot from 25 metres out that swerved and dipped its way past the Rockets goalkeeper.

http://www.footballa...ockets-91/48095

Edited by Jimmy

I could seriously not care less about Goodwin anymore. He's a squad player for the Jets, not something I'd normally discuss on these forums.

Move on.

Since things are fairly quiet thought I'd update anyone on here who still gives a shit about Goodwin. Jet's played the Canberra Rockets tonight.

Ummmmmmm.... A bit confused. So do you give a shit about him or not. I myself am jelly that Newy have that powerful strike of his.

Still shits me we lost this kid

+1

even more so now when we haven't really signed any exciting young players with potential apart from mebrahtu

JD and SM weren't too fussed at losing him as they thought they could easily sign another young talent, and it looks like it's going to bite us on the ass because at the moment it seems as though we're sorting through the scraps and the leftovers trying to find players

+2

I still maintain that we should be building a solid squad on the existing foundation of who we have. Therefore Goodwin would be the natural replacement for Aziz if he leaves or Aziz is moved to left wing once coached in scoring goals.

I look back at Man Utd when they signed the likes of Webb, Phelan, Wallace, Pallister etc. a number of years ago and by turning over a couple of select players each season and promoting youth they have had a great deal of success over the years.

We should be doing the same rather than this 2 year contract chop/change method as it cannot build consistency (and yes I mean winning regularly, not a consistent bottom 2).

+2

I still maintain that we should be building a solid squad on the existing foundation of who we have. Therefore Goodwin would be the natural replacement for Aziz if he leaves or Aziz is moved to left wing once coached in scoring goals.

I look back at Man Utd when they signed the likes of Webb, Phelan, Wallace, Pallister etc. a number of years ago and by turning over a couple of select players each season and promoting youth they have had a great deal of success over the years.

We should be doing the same rather than this 2 year contract chop/change method as it cannot build consistency (and yes I mean winning regularly, not a consistent bottom 2).

The problem is that we aren't able to sign more than 23 players in the senior squad, there is no reserve team league, and we don't run a team in any other league except the NYL, which is a toy competition that barely survives from year to year. Therefore we can't offer developing players much, or any, time on the pitch playing competitive football. Our assessment of Goodwin, rightly or wrongly, was such that we did not want to outbid Newcastle, so he chose to leave.

We face this issue (as do all the other A-League clubs) with all the young players. We have a batch of NYL players now and IMO there are 3-5 worthy of full-time contracts. But that would preclude us from signing further more mature players, and probably affect our competitiveness in the A-League in the short term.

The FFA has this in mind with the proposed changes to the football structure. IMO the cap on the number of players in the senior squad should be lifted or removed. Provided clubs stay within the salary cap I can't see why a cap on player numbers is required.

• Like 1

The problem is that we aren't able to sign more than 23 players in the senior squad, there is no reserve team league, and we don't run a team in any other league except the NYL, which is a toy competition that barely survives from year to year. Therefore we can't offer developing players much, or any, time on the pitch playing competitive football. Our assessment of Goodwin, rightly or wrongly, was such that we did not want to outbid Newcastle, so he chose to leave.

We face this issue (as do all the other A-League clubs) with all the young players. We have a batch of NYL players now and IMO there are 3-5 worthy of full-time contracts. But that would preclude us from signing further more mature players, and probably affect our competitiveness in the A-League in the short term.

The FFA has this in mind with the proposed changes to the football structure. IMO the cap on the number of players in the senior squad should be lifted or removed. Provided clubs stay within the salary cap I can't see why a cap on player numbers is required.

Spot on. That way we could sign say 28 of the promising young ones for the minumum wage and still be under the salary cap. Also it means we can on sell them and make some money out of them rather than lose them for nothing as we did Goodwin because he was only on a youth contract.

The FFA need to look seriously at this as clubs will continue to lose money and prospects if the salary cap remain at 23. We have too many overpaid pop stars in some teams that are not performing, and young guys on minimum wage with great talent and and we lose them. But at least we get some good money for them.

Spot on. That way we could sign say 28 of the promising young ones for the minumum wage and still be under the salary cap. Also it means we can on sell them and make some money out of them rather than lose them for nothing as we did Goodwin because he was only on a youth contract.

The FFA need to look seriously at this as clubs will continue to lose money and prospects if the salary cap remain at 23. We have too many overpaid pop stars in some teams that are not performing, and young guys on minimum wage with great talent and and we lose them. But at least we get some good money for them.

A-league clubs dont pay transfer fees to each other so it wouldnt matter if he was on full contract rather than youth contract.

Goodwin is ok, but by no means is he going to be a star.

Remember he was overlooked by Adelaide youth, came to the vpl. Ended up in the heart youth but never really showed final third promise. He only played well in his first game against victory. Other than that he didn't show too much.

Maybe he though he was worth more than what heart were prepared to offer.

In retrospect, the jets have never created any good players. They don't seem to generate youthful players. Goodwin may struggle to develop in newscaster. History suggests that anyway.

His not that young either.

Remember he was overlooked by Adelaide youth, came to the vpl. Ended up in the heart youth but never really showed final third promise. He only played well in his first game against victory. Other than that he didn't show too much.

In retrospect, the jets have never created any good players. They don't seem to generate youthful players. Goodwin may struggle to develop in newscaster. History suggests that anyway.

where do i start? FFS.

• Like 1

1. Goodwin is a gun. he only needed one game - possibly the biggest of the home and away season - to prove his worth.

2. Did you watch him in the youth league? i didnt, but dont judge his season without watching him play. Plus, your negative reaks of Marrone.

3. Thats because he IS worth more than Heart we offering - even if it was only a few thousand.

4. too young to remember TBH... hahahha

5. Neither was Marrone, Behich, Redmayne when we picked him them up. FFS. Goodwin is 20.

1. Goodwin is a gun. he only needed one game - possibly the biggest of the home and away season - to prove his worth.

2. Did you watch him in the youth league? i didnt, but dont judge his season without watching him play. Plus, your negative reaks of Marrone.

3. Thats because he IS worth more than Heart we offering - even if it was only a few thousand.

4. too young to remember TBH... hahahha

5. Neither was Marrone, Behich, Redmayne when we picked him them up. FFS. Goodwin is 20.

It's nice to see you have a great passion for Goodwin.

Personally I regard him as a FORMER heart player. I wish him no luck. Should I?

I don't think victory wished our signings of former victory players any luck.

If he chose to sign for another team in search of higher wages, then I applaud the maximum offer heart presented Goodwin.

Heart obviously were prepared to pay what they believe his worth.

I hope we smash the jets. Behich and mate are expected to run rings around Goodwin (that's if Goodwin can find a spot in the jets team).

I kind of agree with Markn tbh. I don't think Goodwin is any thing special. I certainly don't think he's a better prospect than Babalj, Hamill, Good, Behich or even Petrevski, Andrijasevic, Bosnjak, Walker.

Slightly disappointed that we lost a decent prospect, especially as we get no reimbursement for developing him, but I'm glad we didn't pay over the top to keep someone who will probably never be much better than a good A-League player.

• Like 1

I kind of agree with Markn tbh. I don't think Goodwin is any thing special. I certainly don't think he's a better prospect than Babalj, Hamill, Good, Behich or even Petrevski, Andrijasevic, Bosnjak, Walker.

Slightly disappointed that we lost a decent prospect, especially as we get no reimbursement for developing him, but I'm glad we didn't pay over the top to keep someone who will probably never be much better than a good A-League player.

On the plus side I saw the forgotten Walkers play yesterday and despite not kicking goals like his more famous namesake:

J Walker continues to do his job with no fuss and show talent as a young defender.