Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

Luca$h cops a lot of hate, he is a good player, in the top 3 Aussie CBs at the moment along with Ognenovski and Williams, and more than good enough for the A-League. Problem is he will want heaps of money probably, and we could use that money for a forward.

Spiranovic should be played instead of him for the Socceroos.

i never said he wouldnt do well, i just wouldnt be that proud to tell my Visiting friends that we've signed him.

better off putting the money towards a striker, like said above ^^^

Spiranovic should be played instead of him for the Socceroos.

i never said he wouldnt do well, i just wouldnt be that proud to tell my Visiting friends that we've signed him.

better off putting the money towards a striker, like said above ^^^

The same Spiranovic that cost us 2 goals against Denmark ?

wait, you saying Chellini shouldnt be in the Azzurri team because it was his fault we conceded against Croatia?

No, but I am saying Spiranovic shouldnt be starting for Australia when there are 3 better CBs, including neill, ahead of him.

• Like 2

Just wondering...with the various departures from the squad I think we're left with only Curtis Good and Brendan Hamill who will be under 21 at the start of the season. AFAIK we have to have three players on youth contracts in the senior squad...so I'm thinking that one of our signings is going to have to be in that category. Opinions, comments?

All signings (bar maybe 1) will be complete within a month.

Edit: Just heard that we've spoken to Mateja Kezman, I don't think a contract has been offered, he might be asking to much.

Edited by LR9

Kezman used to be great. But he didn't score a goal while he was at BATE Borisov, barely scored in Hong Kong which is of much, much lower quality than the A-League. He's a bit past it i'd say.

why do we seem to always target players that are either under 23 or over 30? For once id like to see us target someone 25-28 in the prime of their career

Well common sense would say those players are a hell of a lot more expensive

• Like 3

All signings (bar maybe 1) will be complete within a month.

Yes, agree that if we haven't seen anything by the middle of July then we can start panicking. Mind you, I think a few of us are already uneasy with the current situation and apparent difficulty in making decisions.

To your list of NYL players who might be in line for the senior squad I'll add Petreski. He's young, but by all accounts impressed in Hawaii.

• Like 1

Good call, but he's is only 17, he is probably the biggest prospect and most highly rated youngster at the club but I think he is probably a season off a senior contract.

I remember what happened last time we waited on a youth player

Well common sense would say those players are a hell of a lot more expensive

Berisha, Broich, Fred, Flores, Van der Brink etc... first came to the a-league in the age bracket of 25-28 and have been some of the best players to come to the a-league in their positions and have plenty left in the tank

The visitors just signed a defensive mid today, he was classified as an 'experienced player' by ange and is 27 years old.

There ARE players in that age bracket, who are high quality and would come to the a-league. We just aren't looking hard enough or our 'connections' are shit.

Obviously they'd be a bit more expensive, around the 150-200k mark, but last time I checked, we had released 8 players and have up to 1 million to work with in the salary cap.

Petreski

Interdasting. With the likes of Zahra and Babalj gone, and others like Behich now very much established players, I need some new player no one rates to hype up. Seems a solid candidate.

My boy Petreski for first 11 pls.

• Like 3

I remember what happened last time we waited on a youth player

That's the nagging doubt in my mind...don't want to see these boys slipping through our fingers simply because we're too slow to make a decision. Sometimes you have to take a gamble.

That's the nagging doubt in my mind...don't want to see these boys slipping through our fingers simply because we're too slow to make a decision. Sometimes you have to take a gamble.

The problem we (and every other club) has is that there are not enough spaces for every player to get a game if they don't make the first team. The situation is crazy. You often see players overseas who havn't played in the first team making a comeback after a long time in the reserves and holding their spot. We don't have that option to develop players in a reserve or lower competition and hold them until they are ready for the firsts. We saw it with Goodwin and will see it again with our NYL players if they are not quite ready for the step up.

Maybe we can hold them on a contract while they are loaned out to other clubs, otherwise we are developing players for no reward.

Phil Petreski is a serious talent, the kid can play!

Met him when I was 13 when he was playing with a few mates from school in a Summer League team. He and one other kid, who I went to school with, Peter Skapetis were head and shoulders better than the next best players on the park, absolute jets. Skapetis is now with QPR's youth team. He has good touch, pace and he has a bit of mongrel in him too, which I like coming from the AFL background. Mind you Petreski is a ripper of a kid as well.

Back to Petreski, He has just made his starting debut for South Melbourne. He played pretty well and showed he can hold his own against men. Now FFS Johnny, sign the kid up, he is an absolute jet.

IMO it isn't about age, when they're ready, they're ready and Petreski is ready for the A-League.

What is the go with Kristian Konstantinidis, I know he played very well in the VPL last year and the NYL. Surely he would be on the radar as cover for centre back or right back

Edited by toogood18
  • Like 3

MELBOURNE Heart defender Curtis Good's English Premier League dream remains alive with an offer from Newcastle United believed to be imminent.

The clubs have been in talks for seven weeks after Good, 19, impressed the Magpies during a two-week trial.

The Herald Sun revealed in April that Newcastle United would launch a bid and it's understood inquires about Heart's asking price were made.

It's believed an offer in excess of $600,000 would seal the deal. That's a similar fee to Red Star Belgrade's purchase of Heart striker Eli Babalj this month.

Despite joining Heart only in February last year, youth international Good made the centre-back position his own, appearing in 25 games for the club.

"We are planning for Curtis to stay with the club, but if a suitable offer comes we won't stand in his way," Heart football manager John Didulica said.

"We haven't received anything for a few weeks, but they indicated they were still considering him as an option.

"They've left the door open to put a proposal forward for us to consider, but it's always difficult at big clubs because they look to conclude the big signings first - and Euro 2012 has probably held the process up a bit also."

Good's representative, Zeljko Susa from Pitch Management, hoped a deal would be struck.

"Discussions are ongoing and we are hopeful of a positive outcome," Susa said.

"It would be a fantastic opportunity for Curtis to continue his football development with a successful club from one of the world's best leagues."

Regardless of Good's future, Heart looks set to add Irish left-footed defender Steven Gray to its squad.

Gray, 30, plays for Oakleigh Cannons in the Victorian Premier League after playing for Irish clubs Derry City and Bohemians.

He impressed as a guest player on Heart youth team's tour to the Hawaiian Islands Invitational in February. Heart is also expected to sign former Gold Coast United winger Gol Gol Mebrahtu.

heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-heart-waits-for-offer-on-curtis-good/story-e6frfg8x-1226403371905

so Curtis could also be gone and we're replacing him with steven gray? there goes our title hopes tbh

EDIT: the only thing that pleases me about Steven gray is that he is a left footed CB. Ashame about his height though

Edited by heart_fan10