Melbourne Football

FIFA 2018 World Cup - Socceroo Squad announced fpr Russia!

Torn Asunder

Crystal balling .... will the Melbourne Heart youth policy pay off??

Today, Ange Postecoglou announced his final 23 man squad for the the 2018 FIFA World Cup, to be played in Russia.

Goal keepers: Micth Langerak (30), Adam Federici (33), Matt Ryan (26)

Defenders: Matt Jurman (29), Mathew Spiranovic (30), Rhys Williams (Captain) (30), Michael Zullo (30), Brendan Hamill (26), Craig Goodwin (26), Michael Marrone (31)

Midfielders: Mustafa Amini (25), Tomas Rogic (26), James Troisi (31), Neil Kilkenny (33), Mate Dugandzic (29), Dario Vidosci (31), Oliver Bozanic (29), Aziz Behich (28)

Strikers: Nathan Burns (30), Matthew Leckie (27), Eli Babalj (26), Karem Bulut (26)

The likely starting line up for the team's first match is:

---------------------Langerak-----------------------

Goodwin-----Hamill-----Spiranovic----Marrone

------------------Rhys Williams ©----------------

------------Troisi---------------Rogic---------------

Oar-------------------------------------------Burns

---------------------Leckie--------------------------

Erik Paartulu is nearly 27 IIRC.

Have you watched half of those guys play LR9, or are you just assuming they will be Socceroos because of other peoples opinions?

And OP: Craig Goodwin representing Aus at the World Cup. Lol, he's played 2 senior games.

Aus best youngsters: Williams, Langerak, Leckie, and Zullo.

Sad though, 2 of our best youngsters get barely any game time for their clubs.

• Like 1

Erik Paartulu is nearly 27 IIRC.

Have you watched half of those guys play LR9, or are you just assuming they will be Socceroos because of other peoples opinions?

And OP: Craig Goodwin representing Aus at the World Cup. Lol, he's played 2 senior games.

Aus best youngsters: Williams, Langerak, Leckie, and Zullo.

Sad though, 2 of our best youngsters get barely any game time for their clubs.

Herd, imo, would be with our best, too.

Fark, forgot about Herd. He's a rocket. For me, a best young Aussie line up is.

Langerak

Herd - DeVere - Hamill - Zullo

Antonis/Ferreira - R. Williams

Leckie - Nichols - Oar

Kruse

EDIT: Tombides is expected to make a full recovery soon, and will be back in reserve and u18 team action soon! He's a rocket aswell.

Edited by marteaux

lol love how you've just named the under 20s and assorted others and assumed everyone of those will go on to be stars

'PROSPECT'

• The possibility or likelihood of some future event occurring
  • A mental picture of a future or anticipated event
  • Chances or opportunities for success or wealth
  • A person regarded as likely to succeed, esp. in a sporting event

Also fwiw of the guys I listed only 4 have played u20 in the past 12 months, and less than a quarter are regular fixtures in the national set-up.

And the MHFC players I named for shits and giggles, and I highly doubt any of them have got what it takes to make it, except for Mate and possibly Marrone who has a very small window of opportunity to make it as an elite over the next 6-12 months.

And for whoever asked, Paartalu is 25.

Edited by LR9

in all my time on football forums, everytime a thread like this is made, everyone posts a bunch of random youth players. Its just 6 years, players play well into their 30s, guys already established are always more likely than youth players who could jsut be early peekers.

Guys like Holman or Jedinak or Valeri could still be around for example.

Also fwiw, like 2-3 guys from an u20 squad make it to the senior national team, so calm down with the u20 squad postings.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Crystal balling .... will the Melbourne Heart youth policy pay off??

Today, Ange Postecoglou announced his final 23 man squad for the the 2018 FIFA World Cup, to be played in Russia.

Goal keepers: Micth Langerak (30), Adam Federici (33), Matt Ryan (26)

Defenders: Matt Jurman (29), Mathew Spiranovic (30), Rhys Williams (Captain) (30), Michael Zullo (30), Brendan Hamill (26), Craig Goodwin (26), Michael Marrone (31)

Midfielders: Mustafa Amini (25), Tomas Rogic (26), James Troisi (31), Neil Kilkenny (33), Mate Dugandzic (29), Dario Vidosci (31), Oliver Bozanic (29), Aziz Behich (28)

Strikers: Nathan Burns (30), Matthew Leckie (27), Eli Babalj (26), Karem Bulut (26)

The likely starting line up for the team's first match is:

---------------------Langerak-----------------------

Goodwin-----Hamill-----Spiranovic----Marrone

------------------Rhys Williams ©----------------

------------Troisi---------------Rogic---------------

Oar-------------------------------------------Burns

---------------------Leckie--------------------------

The word is Ang is favourite for coach....

Perhaps this should have been a prediction for Brazil...

Would prefer to play Marrone and Burns on the right and Goodwin and Oar on the left.  But that's just me.  

Well from what I've seen so far of your squad I'd rate Rogic, Oar, Langerak and Williams to be a good chance to be there.  Your others have to improve a lot to be in the reckoning (or we just have no alternatives....).

• Like 1

Just looked up some stats about Matthew leckie. He's doing alright for himself... I wouldn't rule him out of the team.

But I wouldn't rule Scott McDonald out either... regardless of his previous form, if give this guy a go... maybe all he needs is a decent partner up front that he can gel with... and maybe leckie is the right partner?

Just looked up some stats about Matthew leckie. He's doing alright for himself... I wouldn't rule him out of the team.

But I wouldn't rule Scott McDonald out either... regardless of his previous form, if give this guy a go... maybe all he needs is a decent partner up front that he can gel with... and maybe leckie is the right partner?

scott mcdonald, imo, has never been given a real chance in the NT. From memory he has only evr been played as a lone striker. He really needs to be playing up front with some one who can hold up the ball.

• Like 1

I remember back when McDonald absolutely tore up the SPL with Celtic, it's just staggering to think that he was never given a proper opportunity. 

The team should almost have been built around him he was in such good form those couple of years.