Melbourne Football

W-League Rd 6 v Brisbane Roar | Sun 22 Nov 2pm | C.B. Smith Reserve

fidrildid6

Melbourne City squad: 1. Brianna Davey (gk), 3. Alex Chidiac, 4. Jennifer Beattie, 5. Laura Alleway, 6. Aivi Luik, 7. Stephanie Catley, 8. Kim Little, 9. Larissa Crummer, 13. Rebekah Stott, 14. Melina Ayres, 15. Amy Jackson, 16. Beattie Goad, 17. Marianna Tabain, 20. Trudy Burke (gk)
Ins: Melina Ayres (promoted)
Outs: Jess Fishlock (international duty)
Unavailable: Monique Iannella (knee – indefinite), Lisa De Vanna (suspended – 1 week)

Brisbane Roar squad: 1. Haley Kopmeyer (gk), 3. Amy Chapman, 4. Clare Polkinghorne, 6. Angela Beard, 7. Gabe Marzano, 10. Katrina Gorry, 11. Kirsty Yallop, 12. Alisha Foote, 13. Tameka Butt, 14. Summer O'Brien, 15. Ruth Blackburn, 16. Ashley Spina, 17. Emily Gielnik, 18. Maili Forbes, 19. Sofie Persson, 20. Carrie Simpson (gk)
Ins: Gabe Marzano (promoted), Summer O'Brien (returns from injury)
Outs: Ayesha Norrie, Cortnee Vine (both omitted)
Unavailable: Brooke Goodrich (injured)

Wtf De Vanna still suspended, since when is a red card 2 weeks?

16 hours ago, ecguymer said:

they may have imposed a harsher penalty due to the nature of the incident; as accidental as it may have been, she did effectively elbow another player in the face.....

It wasn't her elbow.

12 hours ago, M13 said:

In Europe two yellows giving you a red usually means a one game suspension but a straight red tend to give you multiple game suspensions..

Football loved it's "formula" suspensions. In my experience the suspension rarely seems to fit the crime though. I thought a straight red was just 1 week here, they must have changed it recently. 

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

It wasn't her elbow.

Football loved it's "formula" suspensions. In my experience the suspension rarely seems to fit the crime though. I thought a straight red was just 1 week here, they must have changed it recently. 

Technically, all red cards are one game suspensions. However, certain red card offenses such as serious foul play or violent conduct then have to be reviewed after the match, whereupon they can incur a further punishment of an additional suspension. Typically for violent conduct (which is what De Vanna was hit with) you get an additional two game suspension so have to sit out three games. 

51 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Forgot to say, good to see Burke in goals, it's been pretty quiet for her though. Brisbane's keeper has made some good saves.

She made a fantastic save in that second half. 

I was very impressed with Beattie, reads the game well and as a result is always well positioned, plus has good skills.  Overall though we have class across the field and off the bench.

As to the game itself, well like many before me, i can recommend attending.  The football on display was of a very high standard and the venue is great, with the grandstand putting you right on top of the game, but if you don't like that, you can stand even closer at the rail.  Unlike the old Heart youth games, the canteen is actually open and you can get a cold beverage too if that suits you.  Heaps of parking available (in fact i arrived just before kick off and still got a spot in the carpark).  An added bonus for me is that its a hell of a lot easier to get here than is to go into the City to AAMI Park.

Incidentally a lot of the people who came in in fornt of me were paying, so not members and walking out I saw a couple of cars with tard stickers so obviously this team is starting to question the loyalty of some (on that note I saw a girl -future superstar - that i used to ocach with her dad in the carpark on the way out, now this kid was once a devoted tards fan, so the club is breaking down barriers here..

Edited by Shahanga
fixing autocorrect
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, malloy said:

Little disappointed that the number was much lower than your initial estimate. It would have been good to see 1,000 people turn out to watch a successful Melbourne City side.

yeah, at half time I had a better look around and realised I had over cooked it, but I thought then maybe 600 to 800, but even that was overcooked.  In essence the grandstand was probably 80% full and that must be equal 400 (so call a chockers grandstand 500). 

Another strong, confident performance from the girls this afternoon but, despite the scoreline, they were made to work for it up until the sending off!

The first half followed a very similar pattern to our match last week, with Brisbane content to sit deep and doing an excellent job at maintaining concentration and tracking our attacking runs. Most of our chances in the first half came from set pieces, with Kim Little's deflected free kick well saved by the Brisbane keeper and a number of scrambled attempts at corners. Marianna Tabian and Larissa Crummer both spurned golden chances to test their keeper but the positions they found were encouraging. Brisbane too created the odd chance, and spurned a 2-on-1 opportunity 20 minutes in following a defensive lapse from our girls. Despite this, Brisbane struggled to keep the ball for more than a few seconds at a time and their attacks were very sporadic. Towards the end of the first half we lost our way somewhat, and Brisbane started to build confidence, almost taking the lead on the stroke of half time with a dangerous free kick that brushed the top of the net.

The second half was an even affair until the sending off of Ruth Blackburn, who left Kim Little clutching her nose. Almost immediately, the City girls responded. Marianna Tabian latched onto a loose pass before playing a superbly weighted through-ball to Kim Little, who took it in her stride and set herself to beat the keeper with a very composed low finish. Soon it was 2-0, with the Brisbane keeper caught in no man's land after rushing out. Little expertly rounded her before slotting the ball into an empty net. It was game over at this point, with fullbacks Catley and Stott both stationed very high up the pitch as City attempted to stretch the field as much as possible. 

Larissa Crummer, who had been quiet and somewhat below her usual standards, sprung to life near the 80-minute mark. Two almost instantaneous composed finishes, the latter coming after some sublime buildup play down the right flank with Tabian and Stott, sealed the 4-0 win. Her brace added gloss to a game which would undoubtedly have been a very different affair without the sending off.

Overall, I felt that we missed Fishlock and De Vanna when it was 11 v 11. Despite our enormous territorial dominance we were making hard work of creating chances and there was a certain overreliance on using the full-backs to create space in wider, less threatening positions. Having said that, Beattie Goad performed admirably in her first starting appearance for a while - her youthful energy and fearlessness is an asset to the team. Kim Little is simply world class, her vision and intelligence a cut above the W-league. Aivi Luik showed great determination and never shied away from a tackle or aerial challenge, while Jennifer Beattie has shown herself to be an outstanding defender, aggressive and composed in possession and giving Alleway an easier job. 

6 wins in a row and you still sense that City haven't quite hit the heights that they're evidently capable of yet! The first half proved that we'll be made to earn the championship if we get it, despite our huge dominance in all the games I've seen thus far. 

Edited by AzureKingfisher
  • Like 1

My first time at CB Smith Reserve. Nice little stadium. The team played very well, with a lot of impressive possession football. All our players are just in sync and move into the ideal positions to stretch the pitch. The team also produces great passes combinations and is expert at getting out of trouble, on those rare occasions when Brisbane managed to put pressure on the ball.

Kim Little is such an absolute world beater. Catch her while you can, as she's a joy to watch. Very intelligent player, awesome close control, and can strike a dead ball well and pick a pass with ease. She scored 2 good goals, and Crummer got 2 neat goals as well.

Our W-League team is now 6 wins out of 6 games. It's a 12 game season, so the team might go the whole season undefeated, and could even win every game. Enjoy this team while you can.

One black mark on the day though was the match security at the end of the game. I've been following Melbourne Heart and now Melbourne City since 2010, so for about 6 years, and this is the first incident with security I've experienced (perhaps I've been lucky).

To explain: the grandstand has a pullout tunnel three quarters down the grandstand, and when the tunnel is pulled out to the pitch it cuts off about a quarter of the grandstand from the rest of the stadium and the exit. Immediately at the end of the game the security pulled out the wire tunnel and locked it shut, cutting off and effectively caging in at least 40 spectators/supporters down the end of the grandstand. They refused to open it briefly to let people out, so numerous women, children and older people were effectively locked in for at least 15 minutes on a hot day, even though nobody was actually using the tunnel. A serious lack of commonsense, and I know there was much frustration and even some anger. Here's an image of the scene (a lot of other people to the left of the camera BTW):

2s01yli.jpg

Of course I've heard of worse things stadium security I've done, but this incident was just very unwelcome, and the last thing I want to see is stupid stadium security tarnishing an otherwise excellent experience of football with our W-League team at CB Smith Reserve. And I hope I don't hear about security doing this nonsense again.

Impressive.. very impressive.
Can´t see anything but the women winning the title unless absolute disaster strike..

6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Did I say 1k crowd? 494. Grand stand is smaller than it looks basically 

Not bad for what is basically a brand new womens team I think?.. They might very well build on their current "smallish" fanbase in time.

W-League: Melbourne City win sixth straight game, continue perfect season

November 22, 2015

Daniel Cherny

Are Melbourne City's women the most dominant team in any Australian national sport league?

Their case is getting more compelling by the week.

Six weeks into their first ever W-League campaign, City have six wins, and have not faced a deficit in 540 minutes of soccer.

A plucky Brisbane Roar outfit challenged City on Sunday at Fawkner. But unable to make the most of their first half chances, the Roar were soon planted on the back foot, and ultimately toppled 4-0, with Kim Little and Larissa Crummer both netting second-half braces.

Adelaide's draw with Newcastle meant City were at least three games clear on top of the table at the end of the round.

The complexion of the City match changed entirely shortly after the half-time interval. Diminutive Scottish star Little was felled by the elbow of tall Brisbane defender Ruth Blackburn. The foul drew the red card out of referee Kate Jacewicz's pocket.

This season has shown it's hard enough to stop City when you have 11 players. With 10 it's nigh-on impossible. In the 53rd minute, merely three minutes after Blackburn was given her marching orders, Little was back on her feet, pouncing on a loose ball to put the first goal past Brisbane goalkeeper Haley Kopmeyer.

Eight minutes later it was more of the same, Little again dancing into space after a turnover and doubling her team's lead. There was still the odd chance for Roar, who, to their credit, didn't relent. Emily Gielnik had their best chance of the second half, forcing the hosts' keeper Trudy Burke into the save on 70 minutes.

But a player down, Brisbane were always going to be vulnerable at the back, and City's Matildas forward Crummer doesn't need much of an opportunity to strike. She scored her seventh goal of the campaign in the 78th minute, slotting her first of the afternoon home after the ball ricocheted in her direction following a corner. Barely a moment later, she too had a second, caressing the ball from distance into the bottom left-hand corner of Kopmeyer's net, further emphasising City's dominance.

Little believed the red card had been a turning point. "It's obviously going to change when a team goes down to ten men, and I think the way we play in terms of possession football it's going to be hard for the opposing team to stop us, especially when they're a man down," Little said.

"But credit to us, we took advantage of that, straight from when it happened, and I think we deserved the win."

Little added that the blow was "a little bit" painful. "An arm just came across my nose. I'm sure it wasn't purposely done. I've got a little bit of bruising on my nose but I'm sure I'll be fine."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/wleague-melbourne-city-win-sixth-straight-game-continue-perfect-season-20151122-gl4z9g.html

So obviously the red card completely changed the game, but I didn't see the incident - I came late and the first thing I saw was the refs hand in the air with the red card. Was it contentious at all? Not going to lie, I enjoyed seeing us win 4-0, but it would have been interesting to what Brisbane could have done with 11 on the park for the whole game.

6 hours ago, fidrildid6 said:

So obviously the red card completely changed the game, but I didn't see the incident - I came late and the first thing I saw was the refs hand in the air with the red card. Was it contentious at all? Not going to lie, I enjoyed seeing us win 4-0, but it would have been interesting to what Brisbane could have done with 11 on the park for the whole game.

It was about 30m from me I guess but I didn't see the exact contact. From memory the roar player came in and had heavy contact with little. little went down in a heap. The contact was high and forceful but my first impression was a yellow. I'm not sure it was harsh though - like I said I didn't see the exact contact.

It does seem to me that the refs expect women's football to be more gentile than the men's. To me it's just football though& should therefore be reffed the same.

7 hours ago, fidrildid6 said:

I was looking away at the wrong moment, but the person I was sitting with who did see it thought it was accidental and more of a yellow card. I was disappointed, it was an enjoyable contest and I wanted to see how we'd go against Brisbane for the full 90.