Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

May not be exclusive to wa but there sure are a fuck load more of them. Along with 'fuck off were full', 'there's only two states to be in, WA and pissed/stoned' etc etc. Also a lot more Commodores with stupid number plates. Every time I see a fuck wit trawling down chapel street with music blaring I feel oddly comforted.

Yep - it was get or a Commodore or get fucked at my school in Year 12 and it was one of the much less bogan schools in that state.

In fact as a Left Leaning Liberal I considered practically a Hippie at school because I believed in things like Public Transport and Gun Control and of course because I was from Victoria.

You're an Aquinas old boy aren't you? Would have thought it was bmw's or nothing but it is Perth so Commodores are king I guess. Should have tried going from a state school in Rockingham in a family with close connections to the Labor party then going to CBC. Pretty sure 90% of the lib vote in Fremantle came from CBC old boys and their families. 

TTIM: the residents of Fremantle. Pompous self entitled dickheads or mindless extreme left hippies and a shit football team. The italian community, little creatures and shark park are the only saving grace in that town.

May not be exclusive to wa but there sure are a fuck load more of them. Along with 'fuck off were full', 'there's only two states to be in, WA and pissed/stoned' etc etc. Also a lot more Commodores with stupid number plates. Every time I see a fuck wit trawling down chapel street with music blaring I feel oddly comforted.

Yep - it was get or a Commodore or get fucked at my school in Year 12 and it was one of the much less bogan schools in that state.

In fact as a Left Leaning Liberal I considered practically a Hippie at school because I believed in things like Public Transport and Gun Control and of course because I was from Victoria.

You're an Aquinas old boy aren't you? Would have thought it was bmw's or nothing but it is Perth so Commodores are king I guess. Should have tried going from a state school in Rockingham in a family with close connections to the Labor party then going to CBC. Pretty sure 90% of the lib vote in Fremantle came from CBC old boys and their families. 

TTIM: the residents of Fremantle. Pompous self entitled dickheads or mindless extreme left hippies and a shit football team. The italian community, little creatures and shark park are the only saving grace in that town.

Yeah at AC all the International students had European Cars but the car of choice of was a VL but most had to settle for other models because most VL even back then were pretty fucked up... blokes with a VS were treated as royalty. (I am really showing my age here.)

Falcons were treated as passable if you had the cred to pull one off but were still considered Victorian/Geelong cars... also despite being a superior car mechanically the old XF's didn't offer much in terms of atheistic appeal (Mind you personally I love their ugly box look) and of course EA's were just a terrible model.

I think you find a lot of the CBC Liberal guys would have come from the East Fremantle Region... historically when they count the votes for the seat of Federal Fremantle they put the East Fremantle Region Polling Booth votes to one side as Liberal votes as start picking out the ALP votes and add them to the votes from the Southern booths.

When I was in Freo a year ago I have to admit I surprised how downhill the place has gone... it the mid 90's it was still very vibrant coming of the America's Cup and then those two Old Ship launches now it seems to have returned in a lot of sections to its derelict grungy past.

Falcons were treated as passable if you had the cred to pull one off but were still considered Victorian/Geelong cars... also despite being a superior car mechanically the old XF's didn't offer much in terms of atheistic appeal (Mind you personally I love their ugly box look) and of course EA's were just a terrible model.

Haha I got hung out to dry in middle school for openly liking the old Falcon XFs.. there was one on my old paper round route that had every badge removed, given a fresh coat of dark blue paint, and  had some passable 5 spoke rims. Thought it would have made a great first car for the money.

TTIM: social media today

Too much happiness for you?

nope, I'm happy for them too. Just didn't feel the need to make my profile pic a rainbow

I just don't really understand why Australians are celebrating? It was a US Supreme Court ruling, it means nothing for LGBT rights here

nope, I'm happy for them too. Just didn't feel the need to make my profile pic a rainbow

I just don't really understand why Australians are celebrating? It was a US Supreme Court ruling, it means nothing for LGBT rights here

I suspect its mostly a "je suis charlie" sort of show of solidarity or celebration, I'm equal parts elated for the people in the U.S. and ashamed that Aus will be one of the last western countries to follow. I'm just enjoying the colour.

FWIW Taiwan doesn't even recognise same sex relationships, so Aus isn't all that bad

I suspect its mostly a "je suis charlie" sort of show of solidarity or celebration, I'm equal parts elated for the people in the U.S. and ashamed that Aus will be one of the last western countries to follow. I'm just enjoying the colour.

FWIW Taiwan doesn't even recognise same sex relationships, so Aus isn't all that bad

Nor does HAMAS...

Nor does HAMAS...

Thank you for that helpful comment <3

Yeah!!! Aren't we fucking great! We really deserve a pat on the back! :droy:

Perspective.

Perspective.

Yeah, that wasn't a dig at you. Just my feeling towards the "If you don't love it, leave!" mentality that seems to permeate through sections of our population.

Edit: TTIM: People who think Australia is the greatest country on earth because it is less shit that Afghanistan.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 1

Nor does HAMAS...

Its a valid point smart arse...

The Far Left loves to point the finger at Catholic Politicians as the reason why Gay Marriage is not yet legal (Even though many do support Gay Marriage) yet at the same time they spends hours supporting a Political Movement driven by a body like Hamas which has far more radical views on homosexuality than the average Australian Catholic.

Nor does HAMAS...

The Far Left loves to point the finger at Catholic Politicians as the reason why Gay Marriage is not yet legal (Even though many do support Gay Marriage) yet at the same time they spends hours supporting a Political Movement driven by a body like Hamas which has far more radical views on homosexuality than the average Australian Catholic.

It really wasn't a valid point as Jun never said a single thing against the average Australian Catholic. Neither did he say that having Catholics in government the thing holding back gay marriage in Australia. I also don't recall Jun ever saying he preferred Hamas ideology to Catholic ideology.

Also fwiw as somebody from the left I don't "love to point the finger at Catholic politicians" as the reason for the lack of equal marriage rights in Australia, and neither do most people. Most of us have a problem with the fact that the people who are supposed to represent Australia's views are holding back something that the majority of Australians really want due to their personal beliefs of any religion.

Edited by GreenSeater

Nor does HAMAS...

It really wasn't a valid point as Jun never said a single thing against the average Australian Catholic. Neither did he say that having Catholics in government the thing holding back gay marriage in Australia. I also don't recall Jun ever saying he preferred Hamas ideology to Catholic ideology.

Also fwiw as somebody from the left I don't "love to point the finger at Catholic politicians" as the reason for the lack of equal marriage rights in Australia, and neither do most people. Most of us have a problem with the fact that the people who are supposed to represent Australia's views are holding back something that the majority of Australians really want due to their personal beliefs of any religion.

This paragraph makes no sense... first you say your not finger pointing in your first sentence and then point your finger at religion as the reason why we dont have same sex marriages. (It doesn't take a Genius to work out that you basically are then pointing the finger at Catholics.)

And how is our current elected Government and elected Representatives of government not representative of the people, also lets not forget that Gillard was not for same sex marriages either... so I guess her and her government was not representative of the Australian people either.

Finally Australians are also in favour of The Republic when asked by the media...

Edited by cadete

Nor does HAMAS...

It's a valid point in a different discussion.

Nor does HAMAS...

This paragraph makes no sense... first you say your not finger pointing in your first sentence and then point your finger at religion as the reason why we dont have same sex marriages. (It doesn't take a Genius to work out that you basically are then pointing the finger at Catholics.)

And how is our current elected Government and elected Representatives of government not representative of the people, also lets not forget that Gillard was not for same sex marriages either.

Finally Australians are also in favour of The Republic when asked by the media. 

My last paragraph was badly worded. I meant that I and many others have an issue with the view of the majority of Australians on this issue being blocked by politicians because of their own personal beliefs regardless of their religious views, be they Catholic, Islamic, Jewish or Athiest like Gillard. So no I'm not pointing the finger at Catholics.

And yes I would say that the Gillard government was not representative of the views of the population on this issue either as they were against it also.

The Republic is a completely different issue to the one we are talking about, just like Hamas are. Why do you keep trying to bring up issues that have nothing to do with this? :huh:

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 1

Nor does HAMAS...

And how is our current elected Government and elected Representatives of government not representative of the people, also lets not forget that Gillard was not for same sex marriages either.

My last paragraph was badly worded. I meant that I and many others have an issue with the view of the majority of Australians on this issue being blocked by politicians because of their own personal beliefs regardless of their religious views, be they Catholic, Islamic, Jewish or Athiest like Gillard. So no I'm not pointing the finger at Catholics.

And yes I would say that the Gillard government was not representative of the views of the population on this issue either as they were against it also.

The Republic is a completely different issue to the one we are talking about, just like Hamas are. Why do you keep trying to bring up issues that have nothing to do with this? :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Edited by Jun
  • Like 1

Nor does HAMAS...

Its more than I am talking about other elements of the issue and are not specific and direct enough for you to get what I am referring too...

1. Abbott is Catholic and is constantly described by the left side of the media as a Catholic and as are a large amount of major players in the Coalition Front bench so you cant say the most of this discussion when you say the words "Religion" doesn't basically refer to Catholics. (Although of course some of these Catholics support same sex marriage.)

2. The Republic is very relevant because polls suggest everybody wants a Republic yet a majority of Australians when they were given the choice to vote for a Republic voted against it occurring... so even though personally I do think a vote on Same Sex Marriage probably would be supported by the majority of Australians you never really know for a fact until a real vote actually occurs.

Edited by cadete

Nor does HAMAS...

Its more than I am talking about other elements of the issue and are not specific and direct enough for you to get what I am referring too...

1. Abbott is Catholic and is constantly described by the left side of the media as a Catholic and as are a large amount of major players in the Coalition Front bench so you cant say the most of this discussion when you say the words "Religion" doesn't basically refer to Catholics. (Although of course some of these Catholics support same sex marriage.)

2. The Republic is very relevant because polls suggest everybody wants a Republic yet a majority of Australians when they were given the choice to vote for a Republic voted against it occurring... so even though personally I do think a vote on Same Sex Marriage probably would be supported by the majority of Australians you never really know for a fact until a real vote actually occurs.

1) I've said several times that I am not specifically referring to Catholics. I said that it would be the same if the politicians involved were Islamic or Jewish or Athiest or of any other religious classification. I even used the example of Gillard as you pointed out earlier being an athiest and being against same sex marriage. Those for same-sex marriage disagreed with Gillard's views on the issue, and also felt that her government weren't representing the views of the majority of Australians on the issue. So no I'm not finger-pointing at the Catholic church. As somebody who has been pro-equal rights for a long time I also voiced my grievances with Gillard for being against it. Does this mean I'm finger-pointing at athiesm too? You were the one who brought Catholicism into this dicussion, not me or Jun or anyone else. We aren't attacking your religion and neither is the left of politics.

2) So because in the past people changed their mind on voting day we should never hold a referendum on a divisive issue again? And the fact that we don't know for sure until a vote occurs is really just another reason why the vote should take place.

Edited by GreenSeater

Nor does HAMAS...

1) I've said several times that I am not specifically referring to Catholics. I said that it would be the same if the politicians involved were Islamic or Jewish or Athiest or of any other religious classification. I even used the example of Gillard as you pointed out earlier being an athiest and being against same sex marriage. Those for same-sex marriage disagreed with Gillard's views on the issue, and also felt that her government weren't representing the views of the majority of Australians on the issue. So no I'm not finger-pointing at the Catholic church. As somebody who has been pro-equal rights for a long time I also voiced my grievances with Gillard for being against it. Does this mean I'm finger-pointing at athiesm too? You were the one who brought Catholicism into this dicussion, not me or Jun or anyone else. We aren't attacking your religion and neither is the left of politics.

2) So because in the past people changed their mind on voting day we should never hold a referendum on a divisive issue again? And the fact that we don't know for sure until a vote occurs is really just another reason why the vote should take place.

A referendum can't change the laws in place blocking redefining marriage (or restoring the definition of marriage to pre-howard, if you will) so any vote would just be a straw poll.

Nor does HAMAS...

A referendum can't change the laws in place blocking redefining marriage (or restoring the definition of marriage to pre-howard, if you will) so any vote would just be a straw poll.

Yeah you're right, apologies, my legal terminology isn't the best.

Putting the Catholic stuff aside...

My point is you keep saying our politician's aren't reflecting the population's opinions... but my point is you dont know for sure what the public's opinion really is on the matter until a formal vote occurs... ask Jeff Kennett about polls. (And I am not calling for a unneeded referendum).

The one thing that we do know is the issue is not one that PPL thought was important enough to decide the last election.

Edited by cadete

Putting the Catholic stuff aside...

My point is you keep saying our politician's aren't reflecting the population's opinions... but my point is you dont know for sure what the public's opinion really is on the matter until a formal vote occurs... ask Jeff Kennett about polls. (And I am not calling for a unneeded referendum).

The one thing that we do know is the issue is not one that PPL thought was important enough to decide the last election.

In a perfect world it should have nothing to do with the public's opinion.

If you're a man and don't want to marry another man, don't.

Until I met cadete I never realised Catholics were the most discriminated against group in the universe.

The struggle Tony Abbott had to go through to become prime minister as a Catholic, inspirational.

Yes, because Catholics were never discriminated against in Australia... 

• Like 1

Until I met cadete I never realised Catholics were the most discriminated against group in the universe.

The struggle Tony Abbott had to go through to become prime minister as a Catholic, inspirational.

I'm sure they have been, and I agree with you on some thing (like that paedophile priests have nothing to do with being Catholic, and that society these days has a bit of a retarded anti-religion view and since Catholics are the largest religious group in the country they probably cop a fair bit of that), but the way you go on about it it's like you're an African American in 1950s USA.

Fact is, Catholics are the largest religious group in the country, without really looking into it and just based on your comments and my own observations it seems they are over represented in parliament and other powerful positions, they have their own school system which receives large sums of government money (which I personally dont have issue with fwiw), etc.

It doesn't sound like a particularly oppressed group to me. Could you honestly say you have been disadvantaged in life by being a Catholic?

• Like 1

I'm sure they have been, and I agree with you on some thing (like that paedophile priests have nothing to do with being Catholic, and that society these days has a bit of a retarded anti-religion view and since Catholics are the largest religious group in the country they probably cop a fair bit of that), but the way you go on about it it's like you're an African American in 1950s USA.

Fact is, Catholics are the largest religious group in the country, without really looking into it and just based on your comments and my own observations it seems they are over represented in parliament and other powerful positions, they have their own school system which receives large sums of government money (which I personally dont have issue with fwiw), etc.

It doesn't sound like a particularly oppressed group to me. Could you honestly say you have been disadvantaged in life by being a Catholic?

Seriously mate read a Australian History book instead of one about Economics or Bulking for a change and then get back to me... Catholics had to well and truly earn their current position in Australia - A major way this occurred was by us creating schools that Catholics could actually attend.

I personally have not been disadvantaged as a Catholic but both my Grandfathers certainly were and my issue is not about being disadvantaged its about the rubbish PPL say about Catholics in the area and circles that I sometimes mix in... and PPL blaming Catholics for things that they are not responsible for as I know the average Catholic doesn't care about same sex marriage.

It gets pretty constantly annoying that a lot of people who like a lot of the same things as me seem to think you are weird and cant be educated or cultural and Catholic at the same time and then they pull out their copy of "On The Road".

Must add that saying that Catholics are discriminated against during a conversation discussing the equal rights of homosexuals is pretty ridiculous.

Have you ever stopped to think of the hundreds of homosexuals who actually are Catholic because I know well more than a few... 

Edited by cadete

The problem with these broader social issues - such as euthanasia, homosexuality, the republic etc. - is that almost by definition the public debate is going to be driven by those wanting change and they need to be "noisy" about it because otherwise their views would not get any traction. So I don't think we can extrapolate the opinions of those driving the debate as being "representative of the Australian people" or whatever similar term you want to use. The latter can only be tested by actually asking the question.

I would like to see our Commonwealth elections regularly accompanied by advisory plebiscites on various of these social issues because I think that would give better guidance to the Commonwealth Parliament on what it should be doing.

• Like 4

The problem with these broader social issues - such as euthanasia, homosexuality, the republic etc. - is that almost by definition the public debate is going to be driven by those wanting change and they need to be "noisy" about it because otherwise their views would not get any traction. So I don't think we can extrapolate the opinions of those driving the debate as being "representative of the Australian people" or whatever similar term you want to use. The latter can only be tested by actually asking the question.

I would like to see our Commonwealth elections regularly accompanied by advisory plebiscites on various of these social issues because I think that would give better guidance to the Commonwealth Parliament on what it should be doing.

The concept of "Citizen Initiated Referendums", which they have in the US, was floated a while ago, but shoved aside, one argument being "too many right wing things will be put forward".  I must say that argument astounded me.  I figured we see left wing ideas as well.

Ultimately though I think the real reason "they" didn't want CIR is that the power would move away from the politicians to the masses.  Clearly we can't have that in a democracy.

The concept of "Citizen Initiated Referendums", which they have in the US, was floated a while ago, but shoved aside, one argument being "too many right wing things will be put forward".  I must say that argument astounded me.  I figured we see left wing ideas as well.

Ultimately though I think the real reason "they" didn't want CIR is that the power would move away from the politicians to the masses.  Clearly we can't have that in a democracy.

TBH I'm actually surprised how well direct democracy seems to work in Switzerland. Seems to me it forces people to be more aware and educated about different issues, and hence why the results are actually ok. 

Seriously mate read a Australian History book instead of one about Economics or Bulking for a change and then get back to me... Catholics had to well and truly earn their current position in Australia - A major way this occurred was by us creating schools that Catholics could actually attend.

I personally have not been disadvantaged as a Catholic but both my Grandfathers certainly were and my issue is not about being disadvantaged its about the rubbish PPL say about Catholics in the area and circles that I sometimes mix in... and PPL blaming Catholics for things that they are not responsible for as I know the average Catholic doesn't care about same sex marriage.

It gets pretty constantly annoying that a lot of people who like a lot of the same things as me seem to think you are weird and cant be educated or cultural and Catholic at the same time and then they pull out their copy of "On The Road".

Must add that saying that Catholics are discriminated against during a conversation discussing the equal rights of homosexuals is pretty ridiculous.

Have you ever stopped to think of the hundreds of homosexuals who actually are Catholic because I know well more than a few... 

You're right I don't know much about Australian history, especially pertaining to Cahtolics, and you're also right that it doesn't have much to do with what you're saying. But my point was that there is hardly any large anti-Catholic conspiracy going on and a lot of your posts are frankly quite ridiculous, especially when you bring up Islam, because if you think Catholics are blamed for things that aren't their fault or that the views of the average Catholic are misrepresented, then I'd hate to think how you'd feel if you were a Muslim in our society.

• Like 2

You're right I don't know much about Australian history, especially pertaining to Cahtolics, and you're also right that it doesn't have much to do with what you're saying. But my point was that there is hardly any large anti-Catholic conspiracy going on and a lot of your posts are frankly quite ridiculous, especially when you bring up Islam, because if you think Catholics are blamed for things that aren't their fault or that the views of the average Catholic are misrepresented, then I'd hate to think how you'd feel if you were a Muslim in our society.

My posts are ridiculous?

There has been noted examples of certain parts of the Media (Fairfax, ABC, Crikey, The Guardian now) attacking Catholics in Australian Society unfairly alongside with a lot of these publication's readership echoing similar views on social media in larger and larger volumes in recent times this is a fact that a number of people have covered in other parts of the media.

I tell what is ridiculous posting, when go about how you know better than any politician and that if you were in charge of Government that you could solve any financial crises by doing Economic policies which deviate only narrowly in the grand scheme of things from the same policies that were proven to lead to The Great Depression and a countless number of other financial crises. 

Edited by cadete

My posts are ridiculous?

There has been noted examples of certain parts of the Media (Fairfax, ABC, Crikey, The Guardian now) attacking Catholics in Australian Society unfairly alongside with a lot of these publication's readership echoing similar views on social media in larger and larger volumes in recent times this is a fact that a number of people have covered in other parts of the media.

I tell what is ridiculous posting, when go about how you know better than any politician and that if you were in charge of Government that you could solve any financial crises by doing Economic policies which deviate only narrowly in the grand scheme of things from the same policies that were proven to lead to The Great Depression and a countless number of other financial crises. 

Well I wouldn't say I necessarily know better than any politician, given they'd have advisers and economists at their disposal, rather I think that politicians are constrained by many political and other factors in implementing the best economic policies. And yes I do think many economic issues are not greatly difficult to solve in theory, where you don't have these aforementioned constraints. I do think there are plenty of minor things that could be done within the given set of constraints that would produce better outcomes than currently, and I'd attribute those not occurring to perhaps many current politicians not being as interested in the economy as other areas of government, and maybe if there were more economists and businessmen and people of that nature in our government, which seems to be more common in other countries than Australia, it would be somewhat of a different story. I also think there is an element of "if it's not broken then don't fix it" contributing to it as well.

Also, I dare say I know better than you what contributed to the aforementioned financial crisis, and a lot of the time a slight deviation in policy is all it would have take to make the difference. But I think what you're referring to is some of my more economically far right posts, but you probably dont realise a lot of those were more to troll the left wing people reading them than being my actual beliefs, and you'd probably notice a sharp decrease in those posts over time as some of the more prominent left wing people posting in the politics thread disappeared and less and less people took up the bait.

Edited by Tesla