Melbourne Football

Matchday 23: vs Wellington @ AAMI - Sunday 16th March - 4pm EDT

LR9

isn't that his 2nd straight red of the season? Plus that tackle should earn an automatic 2 at least.

Not according to transfermarkt. Two yellows against Perth Glory 17th January, and straight red yesterday. Two other yellows.

Gets away with a lot that he shouldn't.

isn't that his 2nd straight red of the season? Plus that tackle should earn an automatic 2 at least.

Plus at least 1 more week for his rolling pin impersonation simply because his head touched Broich's boot.

Honestly, under the Shahanga dictatorship, a sniper would be placed on the roof of all grounds with orders to shoot anyone who rolls around "like they've been shot".  At least it would be justified then.

• Like 2

Honestly would like the FFA to bring in "Bringing the game into disrepute" as an offense and include over-exaggerating injuries as one of those items.

Having grown up watching men play sport like they are, well, MEN, I am turned off by this childish behaviour by some of the players (and Berisha is the worst offender).  To win over new fans from either of the Rugby codes or AFL, I believe fans want to see that its still a "man's game", just with a different skill set.

Cowardly behaviour like that displayed by Berisha (one second lunging in airborne, studs up, like a superhero, next second rolling around pretending he's the victim, not the perpetrator) needs to be dealt with harshly. 

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 4

Couldn't agree more. I've just watched the video. Absolutely pathetic display from Berisha. I see no issue with the red either - he simply jumped at the man with his studs raised. And the yellow for Ryall was justified because he reacted violently to the incident. Referee got it right.

Honestly would like the FFA to bring in "Bringing the game into disrepute" as an offense and include over-exaggerating injuries as one of those items.

Having grown up watching men play sport like they are, well, MEN, I am turned off by this childish behaviour by some of the players (and Berisha is the worst offender).  To win over new fans from either of the Rugby codes or AFL, I believe fans want to see that its still a "man's game", just with a different skill set.

Cowardly behaviour like that displayed by Berisha (one second lunging in airborne, studs up, like a superhero, next second rolling around pretending he's the victim, not the perpetrator) needs to be dealt with harshly. 

either of the Rugby codes

Hi there, not wanting to get into semantics here, but you made a bit of a point a day or so ago about someone mentioning 2 Rubgy matches coming up etc and pointed out that one is rugby and the other is League

Now you haven't differentiated between them ,,,, naughty boy

• Like 1

Hi there, not wanting to get into semantics here, but you made a bit of a point a day or so ago about someone mentioning 2 Rubgy matches coming up etc and pointed out that one is rugby and the other is League

Glad to see some people are starting to learn the difference.

Heart needs three wins to contest finals

March 15, 2014

Michael Lynch

A minimum of three wins - preferably four - from its next five matches is what it will take to give Melbourne Heart much chance of completing its fairytale recovery with a finals berth next month.

The great winning run of John Van ’t Schip’s team came to an end last weekend against the Newcastle Jets when it went down 1-0 in the Hunter Valley, leaving it with a huge task if it is to get back into the finals race.

So three points on Sunday at AAMI Park against Wellington Phoenix, another team desperate to lift itself into the finals mix, is essential if the dream is to stay alive one more week.

Wellington has been a hugely significant opponent for Heart this season. In their first meeting just after Christmas, the Phoenix won 1-0 in Melbourne through a Stein Huysegems goal, a result that proved to be the final straw for Heart’s board as it axed coach John Aloisi shortly afterwards, the team at that stage not having won a single A-League game in the opening half of the season.

In the second clash in Wellington, the Phoenix, itself on a roll, was strongly fancied to nip what was then Heart’s mini resurgence in the bud. To say the outcome of that game was unexpected would be an understatement, as the red and whites posted their first win outside of Melbourne in more than two years. It was not so much the fact that it won, but the manner in which Heart dismantled Ernie Merrick’s team, winning 5-0, with David Williams notching a hat-trick - the first ever scored by a Heart player in the A-League.

Mind you, Van ’t Schip was not taking either game, particularly the latter, as a definitive statement on the merits of either team, saying afterwards that Heart could play Wellington another 10 times in the New Zealand city and never get a result like that.

The Phoenix has become rather inconsistent in the past month: after losing 5-0 at home to Heart, Merrick’s men then won 4-1 against champion Central Coast, before crashing 5-1 in Adelaide. Last week, it was held to a 1-1 draw at home by Perth Glory, the league’s cellar dweller.

Huysegems, one of the strikers vying for the golden boot, is the obvious danger. The tall and rangy former Belgian international is good in the air and dangerous on the ground - and a man of his experience is unlikely to find his form affected by the uncertainty surrounding his contract negotiations. The 31-year-old, who has scored 10 goals so far this season, has been offered a one-year deal by the Phoenix, but wants two.

For Heart, keeping the momentum going once it lost a game was always going to prove the biggest test, and that is its challenge on Sunday.

Van ’t Schip is likely to make few changes to his starting line-up, with Harry Kewell expected to once again start from the bench.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-needs-three-wins-to-contest-finals-20140315-hvj32.html

Edited by Murfy1

Glad to see some people are starting to learn the difference.

well I hope I know the the difference, being a foundation member of the Rebels ( and Heart)

I don't get too upset when people don't understand the difference, I just put it in my memory bank that some people can count over 6

HK needs to start. If we want to have a chance of making finals, we need him in our starting 11.

Can't be relying on williams and ramsay to finish 1 out of 100 chances every game, we must be more clinical and kewell is the player to do that.

Harry Kewell has scored 1 goal from open play in his career at the Heart.

HK needs to start. If we want to have a chance of making finals, we need him in our starting 11.

Can't be relying on williams and ramsay to finish 1 out of 100 chances every game, we must be more clinical and kewell is the player to do that.

Harry Kewell has scored 1 goal from open play in his career at the Heart.

FUCK YOU MORPHINE

Edited by DutchPride
  • Like 1

For me the remaining matches are less about "making finals" and more about the future. IMO if JvS and the players coming out of contract at the end of this season do have any pretensions about being part of the club next season then they need to deliver in these remaining five matches. Even though we've had a good streak of results in recent times most of the old Heart faults have still been very evident - a static midfield for long periods, too much lateral and backwards passing (even free-kicks going backwards), stupid fouls conceded just on the edge of the box, aimless looping long balls, and abject finishing.

Having pulled ourselves off the floor and back into the pack we now have to show that we deserve to be there. Starting today with a businesslike performance against Wellington.

• Like 1

Apparently members can get 1 free GA ticket each this Sunday (limited to the first 1000).

Also, there's a ticket deal for Melbourne Tigers members "Melbourne Heart FC have a heart for Melbourne Tigers and are offering fans a *FREE Junior or Concession ticket when an adult Ticketek Australia ticket is purchased to this Sunday's battle with the Wellington Phoenix." (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=787422684620845)

Hernandez didn't train today and will reportedly not play this Sunday (http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/phoenix/9828728/Hernandez-now-to-miss-Heart-game). The reports are probably on the money, but I'll believe it when I see it though.

Source for the free tix for members?

For me the remaining matches are less about "making finals" and more about the future. IMO if JvS and the players coming out of contract at the end of this season do have any pretensions about being part of the club next season then they need to deliver in these remaining five matches. Even though we've had a good streak of results in recent times most of the old Heart faults have still been very evident - a static midfield for long periods, too much lateral and backwards passing (even free-kicks going backwards), stupid fouls conceded just on the edge of the box, aimless looping long balls, and abject finishing.

Having pulled ourselves off the floor and back into the pack we now have to show that we deserve to be there. Starting today with a businesslike performance against Wellington.

Very true. And JVS especially needs to impress if he wants to stay. Last weekend was uninspired. And yet another away loss. 

Apparently members can get 1 free GA ticket each this Sunday (limited to the first 1000).

Also, there's a ticket deal for Melbourne Tigers members "Melbourne Heart FC have a heart for Melbourne Tigers and are offering fans a *FREE Junior or Concession ticket when an adult Ticketek Australia ticket is purchased to this Sunday's battle with the Wellington Phoenix." (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=787422684620845)

Hernandez didn't train today and will reportedly not play this Sunday (http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/phoenix/9828728/Hernandez-now-to-miss-Heart-game). The reports are probably on the money, but I'll believe it when I see it though.

Took me a while to dig up, I wen't through my e-mails, FB and public Twitter feed and found nothing...

https://twitter.com/MelbourneHeart/status/444993277578600448

I love how it's capped at 1000, while not a single person knows about it. Same old MHFC....

• Like 2

Took me a while to dig up, I wen't through my e-mails, FB and public Twitter feed and found nothing...

https://twitter.com/MelbourneHeart/status/444993277578600448

I love how it's capped at 1000, while not a single person knows about it. Same old MHFC....

Champion. Thanks mate :up:

Edited by FB.

This is the reference I found on the Tigers facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Page.MelbourneTigers?directed_target_id=0

Dated 13th March.

'Melbourne Heart FC have a heart for Melbourne Tigers and are offering fans a *FREE Junior or Concession ticket when an adultTicketek Australia ticket is purchased to this Sunday's battle with the Wellington Phoenix.

To redeem this specia
l offer use the code TIGERWIN online at:http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=MELHEART14

*Junior must be 15 or under as of 1 August 2013 and the ticket offer expires on 1pm on Sunday 16 March.
'

You'd need to be a bit of a sleuth to even find it, and you've got another 10 minutes to use it.

So why anyone wants any of the current administration retained after this season is beyond me...

To be fair it was on the email that went out to all members- I didn't have any trouble finding it.

(Ok they had inadvertently deleted me off the members email list previously, but they fixed that up when i brought it to their attention.)

A Melbourne Heart email sent on March 13 (titled Van't Schip Backs Heart to Rebound) said:

Bring A Friend For Free!

Don't forget that as a show of loyalty to our passionate members, we are offering you a free extra ticket this Sunday so that you can bring a mate or family member to see Melbourne Heart take on Wellington Phoenix.

Simply display your membership card at one of the ticket outlets at AAMI Park on match day and you will receive a free General Admission ticket.  If reserved seat members wish to sit next to a friend, they will be able to enter the General Admission area on the day with their membership card. The offer is limited to the first 1000 members.

STARTING XI | Redmayne (GK), Garuccio, Kisnorbo, Wielaert, Hoffman, Murdocca, Germano, Engelaar, Dugandzic, Williams, Kewell ©.

SUBSTITUTES | Velaphi (GK), Gerhardt, Kalmar, Ramsay, Mauk.

PHOENIX XI | Moss (GK), Timmins, Boxall, Durante ©, Sigmund, Muscat, Lia, Krishna, Boyd, Cunningham, Huysegems.

PHOENIX SUBS | Italiano (GK), Ridenton, Hicks, Watson, Brockie.

Williams

Kewell   Engelaar    Dugandzic

Germano   Murdocca

Garuccio Kisnorbo Wielaert Hoffman

Redmayne

Well, people wanted changes, and changes we have. An ideal starting XI IMO.

I think Engelaar will have a similarly impressive game like our last game against the Nix. Also, it doesn't really matter if Engelaar is man-marked, as Kewell should be able to fulfill his midfield duties if required.

The Nix missing Hernandez is a big loss.

3-0 to Heart        Williams, Engelaar and Kewell on the scoresheet.

Edited by Murfy1