Melbourne Football

Luca$h Neill left out of Squad

japiedog

Nothing more pathetic in Australian football at the moment than the luca$h saga. He just needs to quit, save some embarrassment. This desperate attempt to get some game time with Watford for the rest of the season is crazy. We need youth playing in the World Cup, not an old washed up has been, never was, like luca$h.

Edited by n i k o

I've never really seen or heard much spoken about his leadership, what makes him a great leader?

I have no idea. But he has been picked as captain by every manager since Dukes left, that can't be a coincidence. 

If he didn't have those qualities then I have no doubt he would have been dropped after he left Gala. 

I've never really seen or heard much spoken about his leadership, what makes him a great leader?

He IS an excellent organiser of the defensive line. For all his physical shortcomings as a player I still remember watching West Ham's defensive line crumble without him in the line up, and was a major part of sorting our defence out in the tevez great escape season. 

I can't really say I hate the bloke as much as most, in fact the only thing that pissed me off was his affair in relation to us, apart from that he has still been one of the best socceroos and easily the best defender the country has produced in my time. I think its a shame he has gone for a few too many years but what footballer is going to retire with a world cup dangling in front of them? It's more the issue of managers continually picking him. Lets be fair there aren't exactly many players jumping out to be selected in front of him. I'd never blame a bloke for wanting to put his hand up to play for his country.  

• Like 1

He IS an excellent organiser of the defensive line. For all his physical shortcomings as a player I still remember watching West Ham's defensive line crumble without him in the line up, and was a major part of sorting our defence out in the tevez great escape season.  I can't really say I hate the bloke as much as most, in fact the only thing that pissed me off was his affair in relation to us, apart from that he has still been one of the best socceroos and easily the best defender the country has produced in my time. I think its a shame he has gone for a few too many years but what footballer is going to retire with a world cup dangling in front of them? It's more the issue of managers continually picking him. Lets be fair there aren't exactly many players jumping out to be selected in front of him. I'd never blame a bloke for wanting to put his hand up to play for his country.

If the guy is honest with himself he cannot possibly think he is the best option. It just can't be. He has barely played as of late and that makes it even harder for him to prepare due to his age. My opinion is I reckon he thinks it's his god given right to be in the team.

Btw Mark Schwarzer retired not long ago.

I don't get that from him. He has never come out and said he has to be in the team or anything like that. He's just always put his hand up for selection. I don't think he should make the squad to Brazil at this point unless he performs for Watford and gets regular game time. It's not his decision whether or not he is the best option. That's Ange's job. The guy has never had anything but 100% commitment for our NT I don't understand the hatred towards him based on remaining in a side when there were no better options at the time. It's probably only been the last year that it's even been up for debate as to whether he was the best option. I'm still unsure who should be CB pairing at the World Cup. I don't think we have a single defender of international standard at the moment.

Yes Schwarzer has retired. Which I was gutted about as he still is the best option in goal for Australia.

I don't get that from him. He has never come out and said he has to be in the team or anything like that. He's just always put his hand up for selection. I don't think he should make the squad to Brazil at this point unless he performs for Watford and gets regular game time. It's not his decision whether or not he is the best option. That's Ange's job. The guy has never had anything but 100% commitment for our NT I don't understand the hatred towards him based on remaining in a side when there were no better options at the time. It's probably only been the last year that it's even been up for debate as to whether he was the best option. I'm still unsure who should be CB pairing at the World Cup. I don't think we have a single defender of international standard at the moment.

Yes Schwarzer has retired. Which I was gutted about as he still is the best option in goal for Australia.

The thing is mate, I think you'll find most people hate him for reasons beyond that, myself included.

Him hanging around a little longer than needed is just a small part of the reason I personally dislike him. I just find him to be self centered, arrogant mercenary who rates himself a lot higher than I think he deserves to be. 

There's no doubt that once upon a time he was actually a pretty good player, but those days are long gone and he's just taking up a NT spot that a more deserving player could be in.

Him hanging around a little longer than needed is just a small part of the reason I personally dislike him. I just find him to be self centered, arrogant mercenary who rates himself a lot higher than I think he deserves to be.

Yep. Could have been like Viduka and left when he knew his contribution wasn't enough to help the team. But instead he comes out with stuff like 'I believe I should be captaining the country' or whatever it was he said, got no respect for the bloke. And then also has the nerve to answer back to fans heckling him during a game, no professionalism whatsoever.

And tbh he had 2 maybe 3 high quality seasons where he would walk into the Socceroos XI, apart from that he has relied on his 06 World Cup form to get himself gigs. Hasn't played a good game in years.

• Like 1

Yep. Could have been like Viduka and left when he knew his contribution wasn't enough to help the team. But instead he comes out with stuff like 'I believe I should be captaining the country' or whatever it was he said, got no respect for the bloke. And then also has the nerve to answer back to fans heckling him during a game, no professionalism whatsoever.

And tbh he had 2 maybe 3 high quality seasons where he would walk into the Socceroos XI, apart from that he has relied on his 06 World Cup form to get himself gigs. Hasn't played a good game in years.

That and the fact that FFA liked him as a marketing tool because he was Anglo, Good Looking to women (I am told) and from the Northern Beaches Anglo Soccer School of: Manly United.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

I have so much respect for players like dukes, skoko and schwartzer in the way they handled there careers with there reputations intact. Viduka retired quietly and called it a day at the right time, now rarely sticks his nose in the media, and credit goes to him for that.

Skoko retired internationally again at the right time, went to his boyhood club to finish up his career then came to us to help us get started.

Schwartz knew it wouldn't be fair for him to go to the world cup if he was 2nd choice at Chelsea.

Neil has whored himself out big time, and has been on a downward spiral since he went to west ham.