Melbourne Football

Matchday 20: vs Brisbane @AMMI park 5pm Sunday 23 February

Fentonthescreamingcactus

The latest on injuries, as reported by Davutovic late Thursday:

Versatile Argentine Jonatan Germano looks set to return from injury although Harry Kewell (toe) is unlikely to play while defender Rob Wielaert (suspended) will miss the match.

Maltese striker Michael Mifsud could be set for a recall after being named in the preliminary squad.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/three-wins-from-eight-games-could-see-melbourne-heart-into-the-aleague-finals/story-fnk6pqhd-1226833102830

Iirc, he had a decent game against brisbane last time we played then. 20 mins at end of match with fresh legs running at the defense, much the same as what williams has been doing. If he scores, stranger things have happened

The difference is that 1 makes a run, gets around the defender and hits the back of the net.

The other runs straight into the defender and loses the ball, or if by some miracle gets around the defender, puts it in the stands.

I don't see how Williams would fit into a possession based attacking style of play. His first touch is pretty woeful and he struggles to lay good passes to feat. He also struggles to play with his back to goal and his decision making isnt the greatest. He is an instinctual player, but give him time to think about what he is going to do and he will fuck it up.

In summary, take him. We can get some one better.

• Like 5

Iirc, he had a decent game against brisbane last time we played then. 20 mins at end of match with fresh legs running at the defense, much the same as what williams has been doing. If he scores, stranger things have happened

I really dislike Mifsud. But this is a good point. We have started to play the ball along the ground which suits him, and if he can come on as a sub he will be a headache to tired defenders.

Hopefully he can put some shots on target

I didn't know that roar fans were such trolls. I expected as much from the sydney fans (both teams) and the tards. But this is a bit ridiculous

What trolls? Where?

Come on, just a bit of banter :P

I am really looking forward to the game actually, we need to bounce back and you guys have to retain your form!

Tell as about yourself croar, what are your hobbies? Do you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain? Did you think it was a penalty in the champions league game? How many titles do you think we will win in the next five years on a scale of 4 to 5?

My story begins on high seas where mother and father got it on. From day one I show great interest in taking over family business of selling frozen yogurt. I arive in Brisbane with somewhat cockeyed optimism and Mr Moby in hand. Had to close down frozen yogurt business because it contain high level of potassium benzoate, but then I met wife who own semi-successful fermented fish sauce business.

I have many hobby. I enjoy walking on footpath and rolling down hills. Thats all.

Much apology, I not watch champions league game but I sure everyone is wrong.

On scale of 4 to 5, 4 being no chance of winning title, 5 being sheikh buy title, I say heresay, theresay, say it isn't so.

I chuckled HEARTily. Geddit geddit?!

• Like 1

I don't see how Williams would fit into a possession based attacking style of play. His first touch is pretty woeful and he struggles to lay good passes to feat. He also struggles to play with his back to goal and his decision making isnt the greatest. He is an instinctual player, but give him time to think about what he is going to do and he will fuck it up.

Very much agree about Williams not fitting in to a possession game. Look at the 5 goals he's scored in the past 3 games: 3 goals involved Williams making runs from deep facing goal (the Sydney goal, and his 1st and 2nd goals against the Nix) and 1 of the goals was from a set piece (his 3rd goal against the Nix).

Only the Perth goal, where he made a good run at the edge of the box and Garuccio slipped him in, was really a proper striker's goal. Williams missed 3 good chances against the Nix which were normal chances for a striker, namely 2 cut-backs from Dugandzic in the first half (on the 10th min and the 14th minute) and a pass to him inside the box from Behich on the 53rd minute (his 2nd goal against the Nix, although a bit similar, was really more a counter attack and not really comparable to these moments).

I also don't think he's good on the ball if he doesn't have much space, that is, if there's a defender or two near him. And a striker should be able to hold up the ball for a few moments even if there's pressure on him. Williams always wants to hit the ball into space and get moving.

I hope Williams plays some more complete games for a striker in our remaining 8 games, but I wouldn't bank on it. He will probably be the point of our attack against Brisbane this weekend, so we'll see what he's capable of.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Very much agree about Williams not fitting in to a possession game. Look at the 5 goals he's scored in the past 3 games: 3 goals involved Williams making runs from deep facing goal (the Sydney goal, and his 1st and 2nd goals against the Nix) and 1 of the goals was from a set piece (his 3rd goal against the Nix).

Only the Perth goal, where he made a good run at the edge of the box and Garuccio slipped him in, was really a proper striker's goal. Williams missed 3 good chances against the Nix which were normal chances for a striker, namely 2 cut-backs from Dugandzic in the first half (on the 10th min and the 14th minute) and a pass to him inside the box from Behich on the 53rd minute (his 2nd goal against the Nix, although a bit similar, was really more a counter attack and not really comparable to these moments).

I also don't think he's good on the ball if he doesn't have much space, that is, if there's a defender or two near him. And a striker should be able to hold up the ball for a few moments even if there's pressure on him. Williams always wants to hit the ball into space and get moving.

I hope Williams plays some more complete games for a striker in our remaining 8 games, but I wouldn't bank on it. He will probably be the point of our attack against Brisbane this weekend, so we'll see what he's capable of.

If the roar were to pick him up I believe it would be as a winger with Solorzano or Smeltz (another possible acquisition) would be playing striker.

If you look at how Barbarouses played for us in 10-11 season, we never really replaced him. Williams pace and unpredictability would be an asset for the roar. 

Wise heads give Heart finals hope

21 February 2014

Greg Prichard 

Melbourne Heart midfielder Iain Ramsay says having the superstar trio of Orlando Engelaar, Harry Kewell and Marco Bresciano together at training has driven the team to new heights.

Heart is still in last place, but a revival that has seen it win four and draw one of its past five games has at least allowed it to tack on to the rest of the field after it fell way behind over the first half of the season.

The finals aren't out of the question and a win over runaway competition leader Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park on Sunday would really get the pulses of Heart fans racing.

Engelaar, the former Dutch international who is Heart's international marquee player, missed the first 15 rounds with a broken leg suffered in a pre-season trial game, but has played strongly for the club since recovering.

Kewell, the former Australia, Leeds United and Liverpool attacking star, had neck and ankle injuries keeping him out early in the season, but has been one of Heart's best players since getting back to regular football.

Unfortunately, he will miss the game against Brisbane with a toe problem - the second straight game he has missed - but it is hoped he will be back for Heart's next match.

Midfielder Bresciano, the former Italian Serie A star who is still a major part of the Socceroos squad and has more recently been playing club football in Qatar, began training with Heart early this month to keep fit while he is banned from playing because of a transfer dispute.

Ramsay said it was fantastic to have three players of that ilk involved with the club.

"They've got a wealth of experience, they've played in the highest leagues, so you can imagine how the intensity at training has risen since they have been involved," Ramsay told TWG.

"The intensity has soared, and because of their qualities we've been able to play really good, keep-the-ball football at training as well. It's been very enjoyable.

"The skills challenge rises when you've got three great players like them at training. It's quite evident, the effect they've had."

"Yeah, definitely, its great timing that Marco has come in to join us, on top of Harry and Orlando already being here," he said.

"We're coming down to the peak end of the season and we're trying to improve our game as much as we can, and it's quite evident in the last few weeks that our football has improved a hell of a lot. Marco has really helped us.

"But there's still a lot of room for us to improve. We feel that, yes, we've got some good results of late and it's gone really well, but we can get better. Hopefully, the results will keep coming."

"We're trying to help Marco make sure he gets full fitness for the World Cup," Ramsay said.

"The advice he gives - not only to the younger boys, but the older ones as well - is invaluable. It's great to have a character such as him in and around the training squad.

"He's very helpful, a very approachable guy, which is great for everyone. If you need to ask a question, he's always putting his hand up to help. He's only been here for a couple of weeks, but he's having a great effect. He's a nice guy, very humble.

"All three guys are very helpful and very approachable, and for me 'H' (Kewell) has been particularly good. He's an attacking player, so he's great for the attacking players in the side such as myself to learn from. He always gives us pointers to help our game."

Ramsay said the game against a Roar side that will be desperate to bounce back from a 1-0 loss to Newcastle Jets last weekend will tell Heart exactly where it stands.

"Brisbane Roar, top side in the league - it's a chance for us to see how far we've come in the last couple of months, with our football improving," he said.

"Each game is a massive one for us. If we keep getting results, we'll be a chance of getting in the finals. But, as the coach says at training, our main goal is to improve our football, and keep improving. It's one game at a time for us."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1182210/Wise-heads-give-Heart-hope

Edited by Murfy1

Van't Schip cautious of Roar threat

Anthony Colangelo for melbourneheartfc.com.au

21 February 2014

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John van’t Schip says the quality and character of his team is growing, but the visit of Hyundai A-League leaders Brisbane Roar will call for both concentration and caution.

Momentum favours the Red and White following wins in 2014 over Newcastle Jets, Sydney FC, Perth Glory in Albury and a comprehensive away win over the in-form Wellington Phoenix last Sunday.

However, in Round 20 this Sunday van’t Schip’s men face their toughest assignment yet, against Mike Mulvey’s Roar - who are licking their wounds and looking to bounce back after a third defeat of the year against the Newcastle Jets.

While van’t Schip is aware Sunday will be a difficult game, he believes he knows what his side has to do to challenge the Roar.

“I think the quality and the character of the team is very good at the moment, we just have approach the game against Brisbane very concentrated, because they are the best playing team in the league,” van’t Schip said.

“They can really make it very difficult for any opponent when they have the ball, so we have to concentrate, play our own game and keep the momentum going to keep our game improving.

“You’re not going to stop them because they have their way of playing; you have to try to make it difficult for them.

“They will have their moments for sure because it is a team that can outplay almost every opponent in the league and we have to just make sure we are prepared.

“It is going to be a very hard game also because they are coming from a 1-0 loss and they will try to prove that they are the best team.”

Brisbane head to AAMI Park with one of the league’s most talented squads and if Melbourne Heart has any chance of securing a fourth straight win, stopping deadly duo Thomas Broich and Besart Berisha remains a key priority.

However, van’t Schip has his own attacking weapon in striker David Williams who has scored five goals in his last three appearances, including the Club’s first-ever hat-trick last week.

“On Sunday he improved a lot; David I think is a talented player, but with his talent he can bring a lot more,” van’t Schip.

“I have a lot of trust in him and for the team; he is important if he can bring his qualities together with a good working attitude.

“He has done well in the position of Harry so he will play there again Sunday.”

In team news for Melbourne Heart, Harry Kewell will miss the game again through injury, as will the suspended central defender Robbie Wieleart.

Starting this Sunday, Melbourne Heart have four of their next five games at AAMI Park, something van’t Schip believes will provide the Club’s fans with great entertainment, but will not change his side’s preparation for the contest.

“Every game is important… we know that we are continuing on working and getting better and trying to get better,” said van’t Schip.

“I know we will not always have the game [that] will go the way it went on Sunday [against Wellington] but we have also showed when we have problems and difficulties we can overcome… we came back from behind every time.

“We are trying to improve our game plan and the way we play and that was also the way we approached the game in Wellington.

“Every game is different and Sunday will be a difficult game and different game as well.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Vant-Schip-cautious-of-Roar-threat/86577

Edited by Murfy1

Mifsud and O'Dea starting in NYL, Vrankovic is not. Despite the "ins and outs" I would say Vrankovic will come on to the bench.

Vranks didn't play in the youth team last week either, but I think he travled with the squad to Wellington. I reckon he's every chance to even potentially start.
  • Like 1

2 stats I like ahead of this game: 

- Heart have won every home game under JVS thus far, that's 3 wins (2 wins at AAMI, 3-1 vs the Jets and 2-1 vs Sydney, and 1 win at Albury 2-1 vs Perth)

- Heart have never lost after scoring first this season, even under JA (the problem is we only scored first twice across JA's 12 games), drawing twice (2-2 vs CCM, 1-1 vs WSW) and winning twice (2-1 vs Perth and 5-0 vs the Nix). We've won every game where we've scored first under JVS.

Another pleasing thing ahead of this game is just the buzz around the team and the club. JVS tweeted today "@MelbourneHeart On my way for last session before tomorrow's game #MHTvBRI. Boys look very good! We will need to be 100%. #AAMIPARK", and Ramsay's statements above are pleasing "[at training] the intensity has soared, and [...] we've been able to play really good, keep-the-ball football at training as well. It's been very enjoyable" (Gerhardt also said in his great article that the team has a great positive mentality now).

It will likely be a tough and competitive game tomorrow, but I don't think we could be playing Brisbane Roar at a better time. Pretty confident we can get a good result with this match.

Edited by Murfy1