Melbourne Football

What jerseys colours do we favour next season irrespective of the franchise name?

belaguttman

Club colours from next season?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What colours do we want to play in from next season irrespective of the franchise name?

• Red & White - same home jersey and away jersey designs
    • Red & White but new home jersey and away jersey designs
    • change of colours home and away
    • different home colours but red and white away colours
    • Red & White home jersey but different away colours

Melbourne Heart fans welcome City cash, but ready to fight for their identity

Jack Kerr

6 February 2014

The fans' role in Manchester City's A-League vision is unclear, but Heart loyalists are determined to make their voices heard

You didn't need to see his sharp new haircut to know Harry Kewell had turned up to play. It was Melbourne Heart's first home game since becoming property of Manchester City, and while Kewell very much deserved his standing ovation – he had just captained his 10-man outfit from a goal down against Sydney FC to one of the sweetest victories in the club's short history – every player had made this happen. 

There was a focus, determination and composure about the Heart barely seen last year. There was confidence and self-belief. They were even playing it out from the back without their usual awkwardness. They wanted this one badly.

There was a verve about the crowd, too. It was typically small, but the chants were loud, and they went at it non-stop. They too were excited at suddenly having a benefactor of City’s size behind the club. Dreams of becoming the big team in town suddenly seemed wildly unambitious, when becoming a force in Asia and the feeder team for one of the biggest in the world might be on the cards.

You could also read the unusually vocal support as a sign the Heart fans want to make sure their voice is heard. As much as they want success, they don’t want to do it all on City’s terms. They especially don’t want to do it in sky blue, and just to make sure that message wasn't lost, they unfurled an "Our club, our colours" banner before the match.

"It’s important to hold on to a few things that are part of the identity of the club as you progress forward,” says Cameron Osterlund, president of the Red and White Unite supporters’ group, “and the colours are a big part of Melbourne Heart's identity.

“A new name is one thing ... but I know the colours are something 95%, or probably 99%, of the supporters would not to see changed.”

A Manchester City supporters’ group in Melbourne has said it could not stomach a team in red. But for Osterland, this should be no Brady Bunch-style merger. There is only so much of the club's identity Heart fans are prepared to sacrifice for success.

However, the new owners can really do whatever the FFA will permit them to. Unlike AFL clubs, whose members vote in their boards, A-League fans are at the whim of whichever board their club’s owners put together (as evidenced by some of the tension between Victory and its supporters this season). There has been no contact between Heart’s supporters and City’s management yet, and while it’s hard to see the new chairman Ferran Soriano being as approachable as his local predecessor Peter Sidwell was, Osterlund is not worried about being ignored.

“A group like Manchester City, they are a very intelligent group of people and they are not going to throw offside the 7,000 members we have. If they wanted to do that, they could have just made their own team. They wanted part of us. They didn't just want to create their own circus in the A-League.”

The pitfalls of changing a club’s identity are something Red Bull has found out the hard way. Its rebranded clubs in Europe and New York have all enjoyed unprecedented success, yet they have also inspired bad blood, including stadium protests and match boycotts. The clubs have picked up many new fans, though the depth of their passion is yet to be tested by any period of sustained failure.

One Heart supporter, Aaron Kovac, says he has already fallen out of love with the club. He's happy to see the A-League taken seriously enough for someone to drop $12m or so on a team, but for him, the club is now just some squillionaire's plaything. "They're not a team a town can truly call their own," he says.

To put it another way, Kovac believes they no longer have the fans’ best interests at heart. Though maybe that has been the case for a while. The club held on to John Aloisi long enough for them to get in to the record books for the league’s equal longest winless streak. 

For all his faults, though, the inexperienced Aloisi must have saved the club a mint on coaching wages, and one of Heart’s selling points to City was its surprising financial health – the team that can barely score a goal and struggles to pull a crowd is one of the most profitable clubs in the competition.

It's not some AFL sympathiser's pipe dream to think supporters could have a strong voice at the club. There are few better advertisements for this model than the Champions League, strange as that may sound. At Barcelona and Bayern, the two dominant teams of recent years, supporters are more than just spectators, voting in presidents and exercising considerable influence over how the clubs are run. Both clubs are in the top five of Forbes’ most valuable clubs list.

Last year’s Champions League runners-up, Dortmund, also fit that mould, as do most clubs in the Bundesliga. That model is unlikely to become part of the A-League's plans in the immediate future, but nor is there any reason it should slavishly follow the Premier League in treating clubs as businesses with customers, rather than clubs with members. 

City's attitude towards Heart fans will bring that tension into even sharper focus.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/06/melbourne-heart-fans-manchester-city-identity

Edited by Murfy1

We should keep the red and white stripes. There are not many clubs that have the centre stripe white, most are red (Bayern, Southampton etc. Sunderland have had the white stripe in the centre a few times since 1997, but apart from them it appears we are somewhat a little outside the box with our classic and stylish design.

Olympiakos have a white stripe in the middle.

Melbourne Heart fans welcome City cash, but ready to fight for their identity

Jack Kerr

6 February 2014

The fans' role in Manchester City's A-League vision is unclear, but Heart loyalists are determined to make their voices heard

You didn't need to see his sharp new haircut to know Harry Kewell had turned up to play. It was Melbourne Heart's first home game since becoming property of Manchester City, and while Kewell very much deserved his standing ovation – he had just captained his 10-man outfit from a goal down against Sydney FC to one of the sweetest victories in the club's short history – every player had made this happen. 

There was a focus, determination and composure about the Heart barely seen last year. There was confidence and self-belief. They were even playing it out from the back without their usual awkwardness. They wanted this one badly.

There was a verve about the crowd, too. It was typically small, but the chants were loud, and they went at it non-stop. They too were excited at suddenly having a benefactor of City’s size behind the club. Dreams of becoming the big team in town suddenly seemed wildly unambitious, when becoming a force in Asia and the feeder team for one of the biggest in the world might be on the cards.

You could also read the unusually vocal support as a sign the Heart fans want to make sure their voice is heard. As much as they want success, they don’t want to do it all on City’s terms. They especially don’t want to do it in sky blue, and just to make sure that message wasn't lost, they unfurled an "Our club, our colours" banner before the match.

"It’s important to hold on to a few things that are part of the identity of the club as you progress forward,” says Cameron Osterlund, president of the Red and White Unite supporters’ group, “and the colours are a big part of Melbourne Heart's identity.

“A new name is one thing ... but I know the colours are something 95%, or probably 99%, of the supporters would not to see changed.”

A Manchester City supporters’ group in Melbourne has said it could not stomach a team in red. But for Osterland, this should be no Brady Bunch-style merger. There is only so much of the club's identity Heart fans are prepared to sacrifice for success.

However, the new owners can really do whatever the FFA will permit them to. Unlike AFL clubs, whose members vote in their boards, A-League fans are at the whim of whichever board their club’s owners put together (as evidenced by some of the tension between Victory and its supporters this season). There has been no contact between Heart’s supporters and City’s management yet, and while it’s hard to see the new chairman Ferran Soriano being as approachable as his local predecessor Peter Sidwell was, Osterlund is not worried about being ignored.

“A group like Manchester City, they are a very intelligent group of people and they are not going to throw offside the 7,000 members we have. If they wanted to do that, they could have just made their own team. They wanted part of us. They didn't just want to create their own circus in the A-League.”

The pitfalls of changing a club’s identity are something Red Bull has found out the hard way. Its rebranded clubs in Europe and New York have all enjoyed unprecedented success, yet they have also inspired bad blood, including stadium protests and match boycotts. The clubs have picked up many new fans, though the depth of their passion is yet to be tested by any period of sustained failure.

One Heart supporter, Aaron Kovac, says he has already fallen out of love with the club. He's happy to see the A-League taken seriously enough for someone to drop $12m or so on a team, but for him, the club is now just some squillionaire's plaything. "They're not a team a town can truly call their own," he says.

To put it another way, Kovac believes they no longer have the fans’ best interests at heart. Though maybe that has been the case for a while. The club held on to John Aloisi long enough for them to get in to the record books for the league’s equal longest winless streak. 

For all his faults, though, the inexperienced Aloisi must have saved the club a mint on coaching wages, and one of Heart’s selling points to City was its surprising financial health – the team that can barely score a goal and struggles to pull a crowd is one of the most profitable clubs in the competition.

It's not some AFL sympathiser's pipe dream to think supporters could have a strong voice at the club. There are few better advertisements for this model than the Champions League, strange as that may sound. At Barcelona and Bayern, the two dominant teams of recent years, supporters are more than just spectators, voting in presidents and exercising considerable influence over how the clubs are run. Both clubs are in the top five of Forbes’ most valuable clubs list.

Last year’s Champions League runners-up, Dortmund, also fit that mould, as do most clubs in the Bundesliga. That model is unlikely to become part of the A-League's plans in the immediate future, but nor is there any reason it should slavishly follow the Premier League in treating clubs as businesses with customers, rather than clubs with members. 

City's attitude towards Heart fans will bring that tension into even sharper focus.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/06/melbourne-heart-fans-manchester-city-identity

They just can't resist having a pop in any article they write  :droy:

2vjtyjs.png

I was looking at some Nike templates and I remembered that City uses this for their third kit. As I said, I want us to keep the red and white stripes, but I am open to a Sky Blue away kit. This is just a quick 2 minute mockup haha but I wanted to combine the blue with red and white.

I don't mind that as an away strip -- want to keep our home strip as it is now.

I don't mind the blue shorts, it actually looks ok. The shirt must stay red and white though.

Agreed, it gives that Atletico Madrid look which I like. I wouldn't mind if the socks had blue ribbing with red.

Also Nike pls.

As a comment on the ascetics of the above design which in no way indicates a desire to see any changes to our home strip, maybe with red socks it would look ok. Right now it just looks like two have strips jammed together. 

Edited by Rellum

Honestly, for the life of me I can't see how anyone would immediately think that HeartFC had a connection with ManC just because we had some blue in our shorts, tops or whatever. The whole colour debate is stirred up by some local ManC fans and journos looking for an angle on the story. If you want to make the conenction obvious then you might as well call us ManchesterCity-in-MelbourneFC. Oh fcuk no please only stirring Sheikh :(

Would love an Atletico Madrid style kit. Red and white shirt with the blue shorts. Meeting half way and it looks great imo.

Red and white shirt with sky blue shorts? Would that look good?

no hahahaha. I;m not saying I want colour change, but red and sky blue can look good together if done right, but full sky blue shorts would look crap (would need to be a darker blue). You really need to break it down with another colour being between the red and sky blue. or done on subtle levels.

Could someone please mock this up?? I took my son to the beach this morning and he wore his Heart shirt (he hasn't taken it off since Friday night) and sky blue shorts and it actually looked ok. I know sweet FA about fashion, but I would expect there are various shades of "sky blue" within a spectrum. I get the feeling that the darkest "acceptable" shade of sky blue with our shirt would be worth looking at. The socks to go with this?? Again defer to the more creative people in the forum but could someone have a crack at it??

We could keep our official colours as red and white, but wear shorts to indicate our benefactors in a similar vein to wearing a sponsors logo.

Thank you Cannavo above. Would look better with red and white socks, but not a total trainwreck. Would also love to know what the darkest "sky blue" that would be acceptable. The "darker" the sky blue, the better it would look.

And I disagree with you above Heartinator - look at blue shorts as a default form of advertising for MCFC - widely recognised as the pre-eminent pale blue team in the world. I'd rather the shorts as an advertising symbol than having "Manchester City FC" emblazoned on the shirt, for example, instead of a Westpac symbol. I've said before, keep the shirt - we are red and white - but if anyone thinks there will be no concessions at all then they're deluding themselves. As uncomfortable as it sounds, I suspect some form of compromise will ultimately take place and am awaiting the predictable surprised outrage that will follow. We all don't want it to happen, but we're not holding the cash bag unfortunately. And the fork in the road question in my mind, when you boil it down really, is whether you would stop following our team if the shorts changed? Plenty of passion about the shirt - fully understand that, but m'eh to the shorts in my mind.

Edited by Defibrillator

Thank you Cannavo above. Would look better with red and white socks, but not a total trainwreck. Would also love to know what the darkest "sky blue" that would be acceptable. The "darker" the sky blue, the better it would look.

Here you go, my 3 minute job to procrastinate from work. Sky blue still doesn't work.

heartcity_concepts_Modify.jpg

Edited by Rellum

And I disagree with you above Heartinator - look at blue shorts as a default form of advertising for MCFC - widely recognised as the pre-eminent pale blue team in the world. I'd rather the shorts as an advertising symbol than having "Manchester City FC" emblazoned on the shirt, for example, instead of a Westpac symbol. I've said before, keep the shirt - we are red and white - but if anyone thinks there will be no concessions at all then they're deluding themselves. As uncomfortable as it sounds, I suspect some form of compromise will ultimately take place and am awaiting the predictable surprised outrage that will follow. We all don't want it to happen, but we're not holding the cash bag unfortunately. And the fork in the road question in my mind, when you boil it down really, is whether you would stop following our team if the shorts changed? Plenty of passion about the shirt - fully understand that, but m'eh to the shorts in my mind.

A change to the strip will likely be the case not just as a concession to our new owners but it will be the visible sign of a new administration at MelbourneCityHeartFC. Like many comments already posted, I can accept some subtle changes to the strip but it would be absolutely stupid to move away from our predominant Red and White home strip and piss off our loyal supporters who have been with the team through thick and thin, rain, hail, shine and 42degC heat. 

I hope the good Sheikh has a sense of humor as he reads these posts :unsure:

• Like 1

I'd be fine with the whole Atletico look with the sky blue shorts tbh. Always loved Atletico kits. Obviously Citeh have a lighter shade of blue though. The colour of your shorts is hardly definitive of a club to be fair. Would also represent the coming together of old and new.  

I won't be changing my vote to keep the home colours as is - if we get a vote that is - but I'd also be more than happy with the Athletico/Paraguay look with sky blue shorts if we have to make a change, together with optional long sleeves for the cooler months of the season. I think it's really classy TBH. So many really crappy kits in the A-League - us and Newcastle the standout good ones IMO.

I have to say that, while the sky blue shorts don't look too bad in those mock-ups, I actually am not sure they'd look that great in practice. Keep the current colour combination IMO. Play around with the away colours instead, if anything.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1