Melbourne Football

What jerseys colours do we favour next season irrespective of the franchise name?

belaguttman

Club colours from next season?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What colours do we want to play in from next season irrespective of the franchise name?

• Red & White - same home jersey and away jersey designs
    • Red & White but new home jersey and away jersey designs
    • change of colours home and away
    • different home colours but red and white away colours
    • Red & White home jersey but different away colours

I´m just confused as to why they sound so pro-change.. One could imagine that a headline like "Nasty oil Sheikh to rebrand local heroes" would suit them as well.

I am convinced they think they can spin "that there is now an EPL team in Australia". The EPL is popular here so those two ideas combined means more a popular league, and more pay TV subscriptions. You are probably unaware that Rupert owns both the newspapers(well most of them) and the pay TV here.

That or they are all trying to out guess each other in what is going to happen. The ones who guess right looked like they are the ones who are clued in.

I´m just confused as to why they sound so pro-change.. One could imagine that a headline like "Nasty oil Sheikh to rebrand local heroes" would suit them as well.

Euro snobs.

Generally, Aussies love to latch on, jump on a bandwagon and associate themselves with success.

I think for them it's a direct connection to the English game, an outlet from everything that terrifies them about the game here...

This article from Les Murry will give you a quick insight in to the general mentality towards the sport in our country.

• Like 1

Cheers LR9.. Fascinating story

So into this rather odd sporting mix of enthusiasm and jingoism we got CFG entering the room.. whose main club alone got more revenue than all of AFL put together.
It´s a cause for optimism, and concern as well I think.
In USA there´s a similar resentment from fans of old school sports but there we are increasingly seeing that soccer becomes just another sport under the umbrella of various local sports groups that are determined to be the dominant sports entity in their area.
In other cases there are partnerships, like how New York City FC is a partnership between NY Yankees and City.

The future will be interesting.. :ph34r:

Does anyone else find it a bit crazy that people are looking to add blue in as a secondary colour to the kit as a compromise, but then not even using the City sky blue? What would be the point of that?

For me, after what they've shown so far in 2014, I'd probably accept anything that they came up with, but I think there's three levels of what I'd be happiest with:

1. Current home kit, 100th game quartered kit as the away, sky blue third kit

2. Current home kit, sky blue away, 100th game third kit

3. Sky blue home, red/white stripes away, whatever third kit

I'd probably be ok enough with any of those (and I don't really care that much about the third kit in any of those examples). Anything other than that, I'd grudgingly accept.

Does anyone else find it a bit crazy that people are looking to add blue in as a secondary colour to the kit as a compromise, but then not even using the City sky blue? What would be the point of that?

For me, after what they've shown so far in 2014, I'd probably accept anything that they came up with, but I think there's three levels of what I'd be happiest with:

I'd probably be ok enough with any of those (and I don't really care that much about the third kit in any of those examples). Anything other than that, I'd grudgingly accept.

So you'd be happy for our colours to be pushed to one side then? 

So you'd be happy for our colours to be pushed to one side then? 

I wouldn't have any problem at all with a sky blue kit replacing the current away kit.

I would be less happy with sky blue replacing the red/white stripes at home, but ultimately would probably be ok with it as long as the stripes became our away shirt.

Sorry...

Edited by SF33

998_zps62e8b372.png

Love this

All three are shit. Why some people think it's a good idea to promote terrible designs without red and white stripes and with sky blue is beyond me.

If powers that be think we are open to some sky blue in our kits, then no doubt we will see ALL sky blue with white shorts,

Red and white stripes for home. Nothing else. I mean this as nicely as I can, if you are suggesting anything else then fark off.

I'm all for the home kit to remain, but I think it's important that people have a right to express their opinion, even if it's different.

Honestly, apart from the poll, this thread seems to have gone down hill early and stayed there.

Edited by Sash

Red and white stripes for home. Nothing else. I mean this as nicely as I can, if you are suggesting anything else then fark off.

I'm all for the home kit to remain, but I think it's important that people have a right to express their opinion, even if it's different.

Honestly, apart from the poll, this thread doesn't seem to have much going for it.

Yes it does. It shows that our supporters are passionate about our club, our colours and even our name. About all that's needed really.

Honestly, apart from the poll, this thread doesn't seem to have much going for it.

Yes it does. It shows that our supporters are passionate about our club, our colours and even our name. About all that's needed really.

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm just finding it a bit tiresome given there's been no actual indication of what's going to happen yet. I'm glad supporters are passionate about the colours, and I think it's important too. But that was established about 12 pages ago and now we're down to drivel like 'sky blue is shit', and 'fark off if you dont agree with me'.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm just finding it a bit tiresome given there's been no actual indication of what's going to happen yet. I'm glad supporters are passionate about the colours, and I think it's important too. But that was established about 12 pages ago and now we're down to drivel like 'sky blue is shit'. 

Normally I'm a fan of more intelligent discourse however the issue of colours is a tribal and primal one, so "sky blue is shit" suffices in this instance, imo.

Edited by Caddy

People can express their opinion for different colours and designs but it's 100% idiotic for many reasons.

The only reason this thread has gone downhill is because of the abominable new kit designs. Everyone should be pro current kit, and not sell out to appease the new owners.

Colours stay, stripes stay.

Honestly, apart from the poll, this thread doesn't seem to have much going for it. Yes it does. It shows that our supporters are passionate about our club, our colours and even our name. About all that's needed really.

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm just finding it a bit tiresome given there's been no actual indication of what's going to happen yet. I'm glad supporters are passionate about the colours, and I think it's important too. But that was established about 12 pages ago and now we're down to drivel like 'sky blue is shit', and 'fark off if you dont agree with me'.

No, your right it's all speculation. But my point is that if people weren't designing such terrible hybrid alternatives there wouldn't be a problem would there.

Yeah that's fair enough. I'm just finding it a bit tiresome given there's been no actual indication of what's going to happen yet. I'm glad supporters are passionate about the colours, and I think it's important too. But that was established about 12 pages ago and now we're down to drivel like 'sky blue is shit'. 

Normally I'm a fan of more intelligent discourse however the issue of colours is a tribal and primal one, so "sky blue is shit" suffices in this instance, imo.

Even if it's kind of insulting to the new owners who haven't done anything yet, or the good people of Machester who have come onto our forum and mostly been very supportive?

Edited by Sash

The biggest issue for me is that slowly I'm seeing a lot of fans (some fair-weathered, others undignified) being manipulated and tricked by third parties and outside sources that don't have their best interests at heart - painting a picture that it's OK for change, it's inevitable or fighting it is a hopeless cause...

The owners haven't indicated it's going to happen and what they have actually said probably supports the contrary tbh.

I just hope that fans can band together and fight for our identity, rather than buckling to the pressure of speculation and accepting any conprimise, just because it is being forced on them from persons irralivent to our club.

I reckon the less it is spoken about the better, and this bridge should be crossed together if/when the issue arises.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 4

Honestly, apart from the poll, this thread doesn't seem to have much going for it. Yes it does. It shows that our supporters are passionate about our club, our colours and even our name. About all that's needed really.

Even if it's kind of insulting to the new owners who haven't done anything yet, or the good people of Machester who have come onto our forum and mostly been very supportive?

If anything, I think it's clear more heart supporters have become more fond of man city since the takeover. But you ask a man city supporter if they like red and white, which team do you think they will think of first? I could garuntee they'll probably say they are shit colours because of that team you thought of first.

The biggest issue for me is that slowly I'm seeing a lot of fans (some fair-weathered, others undignified) being manipulated and tricked by third parties and outside sources that don't have their best interests at heart - painting a picture that it's OK for change, it's inevitable or fighting it is a hopeless cause...

The owners haven't indicated it's going to happen and what they have actually said probably supports the contrary tbh.

I just hope that fans can band together and fight for our identity, rather than buckling to the pressure of speculation and accepting any conprimise, just because it is being forced on them from persons irralivent to our club.

I reckon the less it is spoken about the better, and this bridge should be crossed together if/when the issue arises.

I agree completely. If necessary, challenge anyone that presents a change of identity as a foregone conclusion. But things like the badge designs in the paper today are probably best ignored because they don't deserve comment or publicity. 

And yes Nico, alternative strip designs are giving me the shits too. Part of the whole issue I have with the thread.

Edited by Sash

I agree with you Sash re: strip designs and the waffle (and so of course I will now add mine). LR9 is correct that the Man City people have not indicated a change of colours. That seems to be coming from the Herald-Sun.
Man City supporters may well have been nice to us, but really? Man City without the current financial backing, which can be withdrawn at any time, will go back to being journey men through the top three tiers of the English competition. I find the inflatable bananas somewhat amusing but singing Blue Moon is so depressing. A bit like the city the club represents. And how quickly will Melbourne Heart be dropped to streamline the business once the oil funding is removed?

We must maintain our own identity.

coybiR.

• Like 1

I somehow doubt that the MCFC of old will reappear regardless of what happens in regards to funding.. The basic infrastructure are being changed beyond recognition.
But funds are guaranteed until 2027 at least, that´s a part of the redevelopment of east Manchester agreement which basically is a partnership between MCFC and the City Council.
Nothing but an all out war in the gulf ought to be able to change that.

I expect they understand the context in which iis said. I would understand completely Man City people making their opinions very clear if positions were reversed. 

People can express their opinion for different colours and designs but it's 100% idiotic for many reasons.

The only reason this thread has gone downhill is because of the abominable new kit designs. Everyone should be pro current kit, and not sell out to appease the new owners.

Agree, i don't get why almost 60% of people voted to our change away kit colours.  :hkpalm:

Probably because we have the same away kit since the club started. Surely time for a change up. Home kits should remain constant with away kits the chance to do something different every now and then. Particularly in a league where third kits are pointless ideas. Even more pointless is the fact our away kit is still red and white! I'd be fine with them running the third kit comp they have but making it for the away kit each year. Apart from the one in the previous season each of the third kits so far have been better than the away kits imo.

Probably because we have the same away kit since the club started. Surely time for a change up. Home kits should remain constant with away kits the chance to do something different every now and then. Particularly in a league where third kits are pointless ideas. Even more pointless is the fact our away kit is still red and white! I'd be fine with them running the third kit comp they have but making it for the away kit each year. Apart from the one in the previous season each of the third kits so far have been better than the away kits imo.

+1 agreed

• 4 weeks later...

Agree, i don't get why almost 60% of people voted to our change away kit colours.  :hkpalm:

perhaps part of a negotiation, there has to be a win win in any discussion

by saying that yes we want our home colours to be Red and white, in return for this the away strip can be whatever the new overlords want it to be

IMO the main issues with our away kit are:

- it's ugly - the sash is far too wide, and combining what is basically a white jersey with white shorts makes us look like a bunch of nancy boys;

- it is psychologically associated with failure and our record of just one win away from Victoria in well over two years.

On a more general note, I see no reason to wear a change kit unless there is a colour clash with our opponents' home kit - when the change kit should be completely different and have no possibility of being confused with that of the home team. Many of the away kits in the A-League are unsatisfactory in that regard IMO.