Melbourne Football

FIFA World Cup 2014

MaliMate

Thought the Swiss might give them some problems and they are

Shaqiri is basically the wog version of messi, maybe slightly lacking in footballing ability but he makes up for it by being swole and having a half decent haircut.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Thought the Swiss might give them some problems and they are

Shaqiri is basically the wog version of messi, maybe slightly lacking in footballing ability but he makes up for it by being swole and having a half decent haircut.

.... and generally acting like less of a brat

Apart from the niggling fouls, playing acting and Neymar looking like he's at deaths door at the slightest tackle, Brazil deserve to go through on a kinda they were more efficient in front of goal. Brazil v Germany definitely a clash of footballing cultures.

Absolutely shattered, I slept through my alarm and missed the Brazil vs Colombia game and apparently it was a ripper.

Bruising, high intensity encounter with a lot of fouls, niggles, play acting and Neymay going off late in the game with damage to his back that looks like ruling him out of the game against Germany. Brazil could have got one or two more in the early part of the game but Ospina kept them put. James and Neymar not overly influential but Hulk was terrorising the Columbians. Not a pretty game IMO but Brazil deserved to win. The ref kept the cards in his pocket except towards the end of the game so the players were sometimes confused about the lack of sanctions for some heavy tackles. Lots of emotion before, during and after the game. Edited by HEARTinator

Absolutely shattered, I slept through my alarm and missed the Brazil vs Colombia game and apparently it was a ripper.

Bruising, high intensity encounter with a lot of fouls, niggles, play acting and Neymay going off late in the game with damage to his back that looks like ruling him out of the game against Germany. Brazil could have got one or two more in the early part of the game but Ospina kept them put. James and Neymar not overly influential but Hulk was terrorising the Columbians. Not a pretty game IMO but Brazil deserved to win. The ref kept the cards in his pocket except towards the end of the game so the players were sometimes confused about the lack of sanctions for some heavy tackles. Lots of emotion before, during and after the game.

Watched both games.  This one definitely worth the effort, though I'm dead as a tipster now, having got them both wrong.  

Brazil definitely deserved to win, but equally Columbia committed some basic errors that lose games against quality sides.  

1. Defending on that first goal.  You have got to be kidding me - this was abominable.  Not good enough at any level of football.

2. The positioning of the wall on the 2nd goal.  Isn't the wall supposed to stop the free kick taker whacking it straight in?  I haven't watched it again, but the way the ball went in, without swerving much, just looked "wrong" to me (reminded me of the wall position for a goal during Kasper Schmiechel's last game for Man City).  World class strike of course.

Oh Tiago's goal was a lot harder than it would have looked to the non-footballer.  He had to make a pretty much blind run into space on the hope that the ball would somehow skim over 6 players and materialise at his feet.  This actually happened and he had the presence of mind to react quickly enough to knock it in.  Looked easy, but almost impossible to do.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Bruising, high intensity encounter with a lot of fouls, niggles, play acting and Neymay going off late in the game with damage to his back that looks like ruling him out of the game against Germany. Brazil could have got one or two more in the early part of the game but Ospina kept them put. James and Neymar not overly influential but Hulk was terrorising the Columbians. Not a pretty game IMO but Brazil deserved to win. The ref kept the cards in his pocket except towards the end of the game so the players were sometimes confused about the lack of sanctions for some heavy tackles. Lots of emotion before, during and after the game.

Watched both games.  This one definitely worth the effort, though I'm dead as a tipster now, having got them both wrong.  

Brazil definitely deserved to win, but equally Columbia committed some basic errors that lose games against quality sides.  

1. Defending on that first goal.  You have got to be kidding me - this was abominable.  Not good enough at any level of football.

2. The positioning of the wall on the 2nd goal.  Isn't the wall supposed to stop the free kick taker whacking it straight in?  I haven't watched it again, but the way the ball went in, without swerving much, just looked "wrong" to me (reminded me of the wall position for a goal during Kasper Schmiechel's last game for Man City).  World class strike of course.

Oh Tiago's goal was a lot harder than it would have looked to the non-footballer.  He had to make a pretty much blind run into space on the hope that the ball would somehow skim over 6 players and materialise at his feet.  This actually happened and he had the presence of mind to react quickly enough to knock it in.  Looked easy, but almost impossible to do.

Agree about the wall. Picture from behind showed the wall with a gaping hole right where the ball went through. But geez, there was a hellova lot to do anyway for that ball to go into the back of the net. It was a kind of CR7 free kick where the ball didn't just keep rising over the bar like a David Williams free kick but it bent down and swerved making it bloody difficult to save. Top free kick IMO.

I still think he's a better choice than Origi though, it's a shame Benteke was unavailable for the tournament as he probably would have been better than both. 

Haha, I completely agree on the Ben Williams note though! He's refereed two games and now gets to be a fourth referee for a quarter-final between two powerhouses, yet can never seem to control a single A-League game without butchering it  :lol:

They should have called up Bathuayi instead of Origi once Benteke got injured. I understand why Origi was chosen, but Batshuayi was in great form and would have offered something different.

20+ goals in the Belgian League would at least warrant a call-up I would have thought.

I can't remember who said it, but someone on the forum raised the point that Belgium couldn't be a true powerhouse due to having two centre-backs playing in the full-back positions and it's definitely shown in this game. 

Argentina should get home comfortably now.

I can't remember who said it, but someone on the forum raised the point that Belgium couldn't be a true powerhouse due to having two centre-backs playing in the full-back positions and it's definitely shown in this game.

That was me. It's really quite remarkable that they've produced 5 world class CBs but nothing particularly special in the fullback positions.

Edited by Tesla