Melbourne Football

FIFA World Cup 2014

MaliMate

Worst part for me is that yet again we have under performed on the world scale. It'd be nice to play to our potential once in a while in these big events.

Admittedly we played poorly against Spain for 70+ minutes and poorly against Chile for about the first 20 but other than that I thought we were exceptional. 

I haven't seen the Socceroos play with such enthusiasm and flair since 2006 and with our squad being so young during a period of rejuvenation under Ange there are so many positives to be taken from the campaign, especially considering the quality of opposition. Sure, I would've liked to have picked up a point or two but overall I'm happy with the tournament, it's nice to actually be excited about the national team again.

Anything less than a victory at the Asian Cup however will be a failure imo.

• Like 4

My post was in reference to Croatia. I think Australia played up to their potential.

Ohhhh, my bad ahah!

Agreed though, Croatia are capable of so much more than they've achieved but I reckon you guys have a good chance to do well at the Euros, you should qualify with ease.

Never understood the hup holland hup chant. I would be fucking spewing if every socceroos game the fans were chanting lets go sydney, lets go

calm down bro

Genuinely wondering though, do most Dutch people not care?

I was talking to a group of Chinese people about the world cup and I mentioned The Netherlands and they had no idea what I was talking about. "Ohhh, you mean Holland?" they said.

Edited by Jun

Never understood the hup holland hup chant. I would be fucking spewing if every socceroos game the fans were chanting lets go sydney, lets go

calm down bro

I was talking to a group of Chinese people about the world cup and I mentioned The Netherlands and they had no idea what I was talking about. "Ohhh, you mean Holland?" they said.

Nope, especially in sport Holland is well recognized by Dutch people, can't speak for the whole country but majority of people I know including and excluding my family who are out of "Holland" don't care.

This is a horrible game to watch, both Uruguay and Italy are playing rubbish football. 

Also very sick of the play-acting and lying on the ground after fair tackles that clearly didn't cause injury, it's such a bad part of our game.

Just get up and play football for fuck's sake.

calm down bro

you have to remember that Holland is part of The Netherlands ( most well know for Amsterdam, and it reclamed polders)

people from the Netherlands ( who aren't from Holland,) do get upset by the reference of Holland

The Netherlands has twelve provinces: Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland, Zeeland, Noord-Brabant, Utrecht, Flevoland, Friesland, Groningen, Drenthe, Overijssel, Gelderland and Limburg.

thats why the Dutch team had Nederlands on its warm up strip not Holland

I genuinely did not know this. I just thought the difference between Nederlands and Holland was that one was dutch and one was english like Deutschland and Germany.

there is an old saying

God made the World, but the Dutch made Holland

Holland, as said above is reclaimed from the sea, it is actually below sea level, with the water held back by dykes, and the famous story of the little boy with his finger in the dyke saving a community

this is why the term Holland is more widely used etc

I won't explain more about dykes

• Like 1

calm down bro

you have to remember that Holland is part of The Netherlands ( most well know for Amsterdam, and it reclamed polders)

people from the Netherlands ( who aren't from Holland,) do get upset by the reference of Holland

The Netherlands has twelve provinces: Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland, Zeeland, Noord-Brabant, Utrecht, Flevoland, Friesland, Groningen, Drenthe, Overijssel, Gelderland and Limburg.

thats why the Dutch team had Nederlands on its warm up strip not Holland Good explanation but where the hell did "Dutch" come from then?

calm down bro

I was talking to a group of Chinese people about the world cup and I mentioned The Netherlands and they had no idea what I was talking about. "Ohhh, you mean Holland?" they said. you have to remember that Holland is part of The Netherlands ( most well know for Amsterdam, and it reclamed polders)

thats why the Dutch team had Nederlands on its warm up strip not Holland Good explanation but where the hell did "Dutch" come from then?

Tough one to answer, a long a varied history with many twists and turns

a very simplistic (and not too well received by my Dutch friends) is that the words Dutch and Deutsch  are not too dissimilar.

Germanic tribes settled in the lowlands , eons ago, then like most of Europe, various waves of invaders and settlers passed through

Just an absolute mess.......not the best send off for Pirlo and Buffon. That red was a bit harsh and Fuck me, the rat never learns!!

yep

was a bit perplexed

it was like Italy were playing for the draw and got caught out

the rat needs to be fed some ratsak ( especially for his international career )

Japan have been the biggest flops at the World Cup so far, was expecting so much more from them with the talent at their disposal in a relatively easier group than most. 

Ivory Coast very unlucky not to progress after a solid tournament but fair play to Greece.

Japan have been the biggest flops at the World Cup so far, was expecting so much more from them with the talent at their disposal in a relatively easier group than most. 

Ivory Coast very unlucky not to progress after a solid tournament but fair play to Greece.

Fair play? That penalty looked like a load of bullshit to me.

I meant "fair play" more as a congratulations to Greece, not so much the way they did it. I worded it pretty poorly ahaha.

Samaras definitely took a tumble.

Fair enough then. I was looking at some footage and there is definitely contact between the two, but it seems the contact is brought through the active movement of Samaras, while the Ivory Coast player is simply being passive. I guess one could argue either way about it, but it's a very bold call given what was on the line for the two countries. As a maco who has a number of Greek mates, can't stand Greece's style of play, and is sick of hearing about Euro 2004, it really bugs me that they are in the final 16. Inb4 they pull off the biggest fluke in history, win the WC, and we won't hear the end of it in this life or any other life.

• Like 1

I meant "fair play" more as a congratulations to Greece, not so much the way they did it. I worded it pretty poorly ahaha.

Samaras definitely took a tumble.

Fair enough then. I was looking at some footage and there is definitely contact between the two, but it seems the contact is brought through the active movement of Samaras, while the Ivory Coast player is simply being passive. I guess one could argue either way about it, but it's a very bold call given what was on the line for the two countries. As a maco who has a number of Greek mates, can't stand Greece's style of play, and is sick of hearing about Euro 2004, it really bugs me that they are in the final 16. Inb4 they pull off the biggest fluke in history, win the WC, and we won't hear the end of it in this life or any other life.

They also hit the jackpot scoring a match against probably the easiest of all the group winners in Costa Rica, it's amazing that one of those two teams will make the final 8.

• Like 1