Melbourne Football

2013/14 A League Predictions

DieHardRed

With the final Pre-season friendly behind us I have been considering our  player options and formation for next season and what chance we have of finishing in the finals.. and who is going to win the League ?

My Prediction:  ( My head talking & not my Heart ) - this is based on pre-season results and the players now available for each team .... Im sure there would be disagreements and interesting points of view to my prediction - but i believe - MHFC will have a slow start and start to fire once MM is linking up with HK.

1, CCM

2, Brisbane

3, Sydney FC

4, WSW 

5, MHFC

6, Visitors

7, Adelaide

8, Jets

9, Pheonix

10, Perth

Edited by DieHardRed

Going by the preseason results I think wsw and ccm will both fall down the ladder and be replaced with mv and Brisbane at the top. Unfortunatly and this might be just pessimism but don't see us getting anywhere near the 6 unfortunatly. Unless all our players fire....which they haven't in the preseason.

With the final Pre-season friendly behind us I have been considering our player options and formation for next season and what chance we have of finishing in the finals.. and who is going to win the League ?

My Prediction: ( My head talking & not my Heart ) - this is based on pre-season results and the players now available for each team .... Im sure there would be disagreements and interesting points of view to my prediction - but i believe - MHFC will have a slow start and start to fire once MM is linking up with HK.

1, CCM

2, WSW

3, Sydney FC

4, MHFC

5, Visitors

6, Brisbane

7, Adelaide

8, Jets

9, Pheonix

10, Perth

I don't like saying this but hk might be past it.hopefully it's just a fitness thing but he hassnt done much in the preseason. Hopefully I'm wrong

Brisbane to win it. They're scoring bags of goals.

Others in the top 6 to be MV, Adelaide, CCM, WSW and Sydney.

Bottom four: Heart, Phoenix, Newcastle and Perth.

But really, it's impossible to predict. If a team gets on a roll with say five consecutive wins they can go from bottom to top in the last weeks of the season.

1, Roar - Dominated preseason against every team they played. Great squad too.
2, Visitors - Decent squad with Ange at the helm
3, WSW - Were quality last season
4, MHFC - If we get our squad working we will be one of the best teams in the league
5, Jets - Had a good pre season (surprisingly)
6, CCM - Lots of changes to their squad. Might drop a bit
7, Adelaide - Meh squad. Brought in a nice coach though so they will be unpredictable
8, Perth - Too much roof. Expecting edward to flop
9, Sydney FC - Horrible preseason. Farina out in 7 weeks
10, Wellington - Who cares

A lot of you guys above don't seem to #BELIEVE

I dont know about anyone else but everytime i see that #beleive thing I cringe. but maybe thats because I am a cynical old cunt haha

dw its not just you. i used to cringe at it a lot but oddly it kinda grew on me. Still will be happy when its over though. 

sorry mate, not a Carlton supporter

fair enough then. from your name I'm guessing you're a Melbourne supporter. sorry

Edited by Tbitm

I dont know about anyone else but everytime i see that #beleive thing I cringe. but maybe thats because I am a cynical old cunt haha

I BELIEVE it when I see it.

And so far as preseason is more or less over, tbh I'm a little sceptical.

Still...... I'll be there every game cheering the lads on and pumping my club up to the public!!!

GO HEART!!!!

;)

Brisbane          =      (Will be competitive. The never say die attitude with prevail.)

CCM                =       (Competitive as per usual. winning ways will continue.)

Mongs             +2     (Game style and personale will play a major factor, if all goes well, finishing 3rd. can finish  upto and not below 5th.)

WSW               +3     (hick-ups toward the middle part of the season, but their veterans will fire them home strong.) 

$FC                 +6     (bought themselves a finals birth)

Adelaide Utd    = +9/10    (Goal difference to separate us from ADL.)

Heart                = +9/10    (Too busy trying to walk the ball into goals will cost us plenty. Consistently making the chances, but lack of conversion will cost us.)  

-----------------------------------

Wellington        +14          (New coach, new game style. Will shock some teams at the beginning, but will fall off mid to end of season.

Newcastle         +18          (Will probably make finals but i just don't like them. not even wanting them to win a spoon. lol)

Perth                 + 20+      (The biggest upset of the league. Got a decent squad to win more games than they will.)

• Like 1

;)

Brisbane          =      (Will be competitive. The never say die attitude with prevail.)

CCM                =       (Competitive as per usual. winning ways will continue.)

Mongs             +2     (Game style and personale will play a major factor, if all goes well, finishing 3rd. can finish  upto and not below 5th.)

WSW               +3     (hick-ups toward the middle part of the season, but their veterans will fire them home strong.) 

$FC                 +6     (bought themselves a finals birth)

Adelaide Utd    = +9/10    (Goal difference to separate us from ADL.)

Heart                = +9/10    (Too busy trying to walk the ball into goals will cost us plenty. Consistently making the chances, but lack of conversion will cost us.)  

-----------------------------------

Wellington        +14          (New coach, new game style. Will shock some teams at the beginning, but will fall off mid to end of season.

Newcastle         +18          (Will probably make finals but i just don't like them. not even wanting them to win a spoon. lol)

Perth                 + 20+      (The biggest upset of the league. Got a decent squad to win more games than they will.)

hard to disagree with this tbh

Honestly I have no fucking idea.

Stab in the dark.

Roar

Victory

WSW

CCM

SFC

Adelaide

Heart

Newcastle

Perth

Wellington

It's hard to judge us on the pre-season though tbh. Our two games v Perth aren't worth taking into consideration one was NYL teams and the other with mostly 1st XI was in gale force winds where it was impossible to tell how either team was shaping up. Sounds like we only had a mix of youth and 1st XI v Adelaide. Game v Brisbane was early in pre-season and can't remember what the team looked like. We still have the likes of Wielaert to come in and show what he can do. If Patty K and Wielaert gel I can see us being difficult to break down as long as Walker starts over Hoffman.

We are one of those teams that I think are a dark horse. No one is expecting us to do much but we have the makings of a decent team I think it depends on how the spine of our team gels over time. Crucial to us will be Wielaert / Patty K at CB , PG/ Mass at DM and HK / Mifsud up front and if they combine well/ stay fit through the season.  We are going to start very slowly though due to key players being injured during pre-season, is whether JA has what it takes to pull it all together through the season.

I'm surprised that people are still rating CCM so highly. They've lost so many players that i still think theyvwill be good this year, but i don't think they will be in the upper echelon of the ladder, rather fighting it out for the last 3 spots.

I dunno man, I write them off every year and they always surprise me.

They still have one of the best defenses in the league with Rose, Sainsbury and the new Dutch bloke Seip who will probably be the new Zwaanswijk. Also Anderson is pretty solid cover.

They have two of the most reliable holding midfielders in the league with Hutchinson and Montgomery, they've still got attacking talent in McBreen, Simon, McGlinchey and an emerging Duke who I really rate and they've also got Flores now who'll do much better than he did at the tards and might even get back to his Adelaide form. 

So imo, they're still the team to beat this season.

• Like 2

With the final Pre-season friendly behind us I have been considering our  player options and formation for next season and what chance we have of finishing in the finals.. and who is going to win the League ?

My Prediction:  ( My head talking & not my Heart ) - this is based on pre-season results and the players now available for each team .... Im sure there would be disagreements and interesting points of view to my prediction - but i believe - MHFC will have a slow start and start to fire once MM is linking up with HK.

Your comments on Brisbane - CCM & Visitors are understandable - I also forgot about the dreaded course of the Asian chumpions league.                           I hate changing my mind, But it could look something like this. 

1, Brisbane

2, Visitors

3, Sydney FC

4, CCM 

5, WSW

6, Heart

7, Adelaide

8, Jets

9, Pheonix

10, Perth

I couldn't give a fuck about pre season results. Didn't Brisbane win the NAB Cup over Carlton this year?

Anyway, for us, unfortunately I think losing Orlando has affected our midfield plans in a way which we probably can't rectify properly. Unless Migliorini becomes one of the competition's surprise packets this year, we'll lack the class needed in the middle. I feel a bit sorry for JA because Orlando was a really important part of the set up he wanted. But still, he needs to be able to adapt and use what he's got. Up forward looks good and central defence is really well stocked. I think we'll be competive. So my top 10 predictions:

1. Archie Thompson to tear a hamstring while karate kicking a corner flag, not realising the goal he's celebrating was disallowed anyway

2. Another year of underachievement from Sydney FC

3. 3 derby sellouts and no negative headlines regarding crowds

4. Melbourne Heart to finish 4th

5. Ernie Merrick to be first coach sacked

6. Mifsud to score 10 - 13 goals

7. Mel McLaughlin's replacement to be the highlight of foxtel's coverage, like Mel was.

8. Hate to say it, but Victory to have a good season

9. Gerhardt to get a yellow card in every single game he plays, but free to play on because we organise mid-week friendlies for him to serve his suspensions

10. A Heart v Victory final

• Like 2

Don't know why people are expecting the Mongs to do so well. They lost 2 of their main players (albeit Flores didn't perform so well), they didn't sign any outstanding players that will be too effective either. Their game style may be effective but how do we know that it might not become predictable for each manager to solve them.

I also don't understand the pessimism towards Heart. We may have not had a good pre-season but who gives. The players know they're not playing for anything so their mentality lets them down. It's not like we ever got smashed 8-0. We never played our full team so why are we judging? We never conceded more than 3 goals in a match last season IIRC which implied our defence wasn't the primary issue. We needed a better attack and now, no doubt, we have that. I'm not saying we'll be in the top 2 but we certainly won't be outside the 6. Unless some people just want to be surprised then that's alright haha.

My ladder prediction:

CCM
Roar
WSW
MELBOURNE
Sydney
Visitors
Adelaide
Perth
Newcastle
Phoenix

Edited by hakz7

Don't know why people are expecting the Mongs to do so well. They lost 2 of their main players (albeit Flores didn't perform so well), they didn't sign any outstanding players that will be too effective either. Their game style may be effective but how do we know that it might not become predictable for each manager to solve them.

I also don't understand the pesimism towards Heart. We may have not had a good pre-season but who gives. They players know they're not playing for anything so their mentality lets them down. It's not like we ever got smashed 8-0. We never played our full team so why are we judging? We never concede more than 3 goals in a match last season IIRC which implied our defence wasn't the primary issue. We needed a better attack and now, no doubt, we have that. I'm not saying we'll be in the top 2 but we certainly won't be outside the 6. Unless some people just want to be surprised then that's alright haha.

My ladder prediction:

CCM

Roar

WSW

MELBOURNE

Sydney

Visitors

Adelaide

Perth

Newcastle

Phoenix

In one word the answer is... Coaching.

But FWIW I personally think we will make the finals this season.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...