Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

On a positive note, Melbourne Heart officials got the FFA and Cockerill to retract the part of the article that talked about Milicic and Foxe. They didn't complain about the part of the article that mentioned that Heart would be sold after the Newcastle game. Given how sensitive Heart has previously been about the media discussing bids to buy Melbourne Heart, I reckon this is another sign that the deal will be done soon.

On a positive note, Melbourne Heart officials got the FFA and Cockerill to retract the part of the article that talked about Milicic and Foxe. They didn't complain about the part of the article that mentioned that Heart would be sold after the Newcastle game. Given how sensitive Heart has previously been about the media discussing bids to buy Melbourne Heart, I reckon this is another sign that the deal will be done soon.

The article looks pretty much the same to me, with a statement added at the bottom about MHFC disputing the basis of the piece.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/cockerill-opinion-display/Heart-have-erred-in-letting-Foxe-trot/82451

On the issue of "ambassadors"...this looks like another good initiative that has not been followed through properly in its execution. Who are they, what do they do, how have they been briefed, how is their effectiveness measured etc. etc.? Heart has had a number of these initiatives. Whatever happened to the "no. 12 for the fans" business - where did that go, and where is it going now - I haven't seen it referred to for a long time? The FRG - great idea - wasn't there supposed to be "official" feedback from the club - maybe I missed it? Even the Santa Hat collection at the Christmas Derby - I saw one supporter stuffing a couple of notes into the collection tin - put in a few gold coins myself - did I miss a notice about how much we raised?

So many good things being done, but either not executed well, or no feedback given.

Come on MHFC HQ. You start this stuff, you have to go on with it.

The article looks pretty much the same to me, with a statement added at the bottom about MHFC disputing the basis of the piece.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/cockerill-opinion-display/Heart-have-erred-in-letting-Foxe-trot/82451

On the issue of "ambassadors"...this looks like another good initiative that has not been followed through properly in its execution. Who are they, what do they do, how have they been briefed, how is their effectiveness measured etc. etc.? Heart has had a number of these initiatives. Whatever happened to the "no. 12 for the fans" business - where did that go, and where is it going now - I haven't seen it referred to for a long time? The FRG - great idea - wasn't there supposed to be "official" feedback from the club - maybe I missed it? Even the Santa Hat collection at the Christmas Derby - I saw one supporter stuffing a couple of notes into the collection tin - put in a few gold coins myself - did I miss a notice about how much we raised?

So many good things being done, but either not executed well, or no feedback given.

I think it was reported in WEL game of 17K raised (or something like that)

Well said.

Hopefully some of these people won't be with us much longer and we can get some professionalism into the place. This has gone on since our inception. It's just not good enough for a supposedly elite sporting club.

The new ownership must do a full investigation into everything at the club. Because simply buying it won't change anything.

An example I'll use is Richmond. Since the new board came together they got a CEO who they knew would take the club forward. A guy who knew the club and the way the system works. He understood Melbourne and where the club was and what was needed to be done. Brendan Gale to Tiger fans is an angel sent from above. The importance of a great CEO not just a good one.

He basically went out and got the best of the best in all Administration areas he could. He put his foot down to the board and said if you dont spend money nothing will change. The art of a good CEO is getting the board to believe in you. The membership went from around 40,000 to 62,000 and I'm informed they will get 75,000 this year. They hired a guy known for his brilliance at the VRC in memberships. They supported him with some unbelievable staff members.

Years ago the club was a mess as everyone knows and reminds me. You'd call and you'd be left bewildered at the staff. It was like the Heart now so unprofessional. I ring the club today and I get off the phone and it's another story. They are so professional and know how to treat members. You know the club is in good hands.

This is but one example of what needs to be done. Hire the best people for ALL areas of the club. I can tell you right now this is not happening.

It's harsh as we are talking about people's lives here and jobs, but it's something that needs to be addressed. Maybe these staff members just need more support I'm not sure but something needs to change. If we as a club are not striving for excellence well these people won't have a job soon anyway cause We won't have a club if this keeps happening.

Every staff member should be a Fan Engagement Manager. It's a poxy role of no substance. How can you have one person trying to satisfy all fans? Your membership team and every staff member and management should be all pulling together to deliver the best product and service to its members and fans. It's how you turn fans into members. I'm sure in fact I know most people I've spoken to have not had a pleasant experience when calling the club. The amount of fans I've seen drop off because of an issue at the club is astounding. I'd love to know how many people have been members since inception. My guess would be around 12k. I used to be involved with a lot of supporters who were members and now I never see them. Sad indictment on the club.

My advice for the new owners. Hire elite people in all areas and give them plenty of support. Dont skimp on resources. People that know Melbourne and know what's required in building an elite club in every area.

Excellence is what we should stand for. That would make it easier for our so called ambassadors.

"Hey Josip, what do Melbourne Heart stand for?"

"Well douche, we stand for Melbourne and we stand for Excellence."

Aim for the pinnacle. That's excellence. Not just A League finals, not just A League titles but Asian Champions.

Not just 7,500 members, 30,000 members (capacity of stadium)

Not just a shared training venue but an elite complex all to ourselves.

Be the absolute best. We are fucking Melbourne. It can be done.

• Like 2

Well said.

Hopefully some of these people won't be with us much longer and we can get some professionalism into the place. This has gone on since our inception. It's just not good enough for a supposedly elite sporting club.

The new ownership must do a full investigation into everything at the club. Because simply buying it won't change anything.

An example I'll use is Richmond. Since the new board came together they got a CEO who they knew would take the club forward. A guy who knew the club and the way the system works. He understood Melbourne and where the club was and what was needed to be done. Brendan Gale to Tiger fans is an angel sent from above. The importance of a great CEO not just a good one.

He basically went out and got the best of the best in all Administration areas he could. He put his foot down to the board and said if you dont spend money nothing will change. The art of a good CEO is getting the board to believe in you. The membership went from around 40,000 to 62,000 and I'm informed they will get 75,000 this year. They hired a guy known for his brilliance at the VRC in memberships. They supported him with some unbelievable staff members.

Years ago the club was a mess as everyone knows and reminds me. You'd call and you'd be left bewildered at the staff. It was like the Heart now so unprofessional. I ring the club today and I get off the phone and it's another story. They are so professional and know how to treat members. You know the club is in good hands.

This is but one example of what needs to be done. Hire the best people for ALL areas of the club. I can tell you right now this is not happening.

It's harsh as we are talking about people's lives here and jobs, but it's something that needs to be addressed. Maybe these staff members just need more support I'm not sure but something needs to change. If we as a club are not striving for excellence well these people won't have a job soon anyway cause We won't have a club if this keeps happening.

Every staff member should be a Fan Engagement Manager. It's a poxy role of no substance. How can you have one person trying to satisfy all fans? Your membership team and every staff member and management should be all pulling together to deliver the best product and service to its members and fans. It's how you turn fans into members. I'm sure in fact I know most people I've spoken to have not had a pleasant experience when calling the club. The amount of fans I've seen drop off because of an issue at the club is astounding. I'd love to know how many people have been members since inception. My guess would be around 12k. I used to be involved with a lot of supporters who were members and now I never see them. Sad indictment on the club.

My advice for the new owners. Hire elite people in all areas and give them plenty of support. Dont skimp on resources. People that know Melbourne and know what's required in building an elite club in every area.

Excellence is what we should stand for. That would make it easier for our so called ambassadors.

"Hey Josip, what do Melbourne Heart stand for?"

"Well douche, we stand for Melbourne and we stand for Excellence."

Aim for the pinnacle. That's excellence. Not just A League finals, not just A League titles but Asian Champions.

Not just 7,500 members, 30,000 members (capacity of stadium)

Not just a shared training venue but an elite complex all to ourselves.

Be the absolute best. We are fucking Melbourne. It can be done.

I'm not sure we want those representing our club calling people "douche", but your point is spot on, as is JW's who you quoted.

If I had any "likes" left, I would have given them to you two.

Edited by Peter

We just got slammed on SEN, I was the only caller and let the board no just how much they fucked up!

So do you mean you were the only one to "slam" us, being the only caller? Or is there more to it? I would be interested as I haven't heard the broadcast.

No they were slamming us for about 10min straight... It was "Heart is the failure of the Aleague and will always be the same until it moves to Geelong... And so on! Nothing on JA. So I called up and made two points.. One was that ppl were looking to deep into the problem because it was right infront of everyone 'JA' reason it was hidden was because his media mates stick up for him and cover his tracks. Two the board was paying JVS $700ka season so money for a coach wasnt a problem, then why go bring in a coach with no record who cost $200k to take over a club which is young and fragile and is competing for bums on seats againts the bigest in Victory.

No they were slamming us for about 10min straight... It was "Heart is the failure of the Aleague and will always be the same until it moves to Geelong... And so on! Nothing on JA. So I called up and made two points.. One was that ppl were looking to deep into the problem because it was right infront of everyone 'JA' reason it was hidden was because his media mates stick up for him and cover his tracks. Two the board was paying JVS $700ka season so money for a coach wasnt a problem, then why go bring in a coach with no record who cost $200k to take over a club which is young and fragile and is competing for bums on seats againts the bigest in Victory.

Good points.

Also, I don't know where this re-location to Geelong idea is coming from. If the A-League wanted a club in Geelong it would have/will set one up. Sure Heart is not doing all we can, but talk of re-location is rather pre-mature and outside of a few commentators fanciful ideas, seems to have no traction.

This "relocation to Geelong" (or "relocation to anywhere") is really not worth debating. There is absolutely no logic in it whatsoever. If we can draw crowds of "only" 6,000-8,000 in Melbourne with its greater metropolitan population of close to 4 million, why anyone would suggest that we would do better moving to a location with a population of around 500,000 defies any form of reasoning.

I for one am really tired of Heart being the whipping boy of the media. It simply stiffens my resolve to go on supporting the club that I have adopted. The media chooses to ridicule us for our poor playing record, for appointing a novice coach, and then for sacking the very same coach responsible for just that record. Now attacks us for the resignation of Hayden Foxe. Now because various people have left the club in the past three seasons - no discussion of whether they have bettered themselves by doing so, and no discussion that Heart might actually have realised some benefit in bringing Nus and Ripamonti on board to replace those who have left. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I am also pretty disgusted that FFA condones some of the whipping to take place on its own web-site (not that too many people read it anyway). Perhaps he is on the way out, but I admire SM in this instance for standing up for what he believes is right

Yes, I think everyone acknowledges that Heart has made some mistakes. But please tell me what other A-League clubs have not done the same? If I were Sidwell I would pick up the phone to Gallop and tell him to call the hounds off. Enough is enough.

Edit:

Incidentally, according to Ultimate A-League, all-time average home attendances are:

Victory: 22,243

WSW: 14,950

Sydney: 14,806

Brisbane: 14,227

Adelaide: 11,086

Newcastle: 10,793

CCM: 9,806

Heart: 8,913

Wellington: 8,858

Perth: 8,675

According to those figures, Perth is a failure and should relocate to Geelong...

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

I can cop the Heart are shit comments, because we are. We make baffling decisions that affect the team, both in the selection and appointment of players and coaches (Aloisi for one), we have played absolutely pathetic football for nearly two years now, and we look so desperate to be the nice guys that we look scared to do anything ballsy. 

But I am sick of hearing how the club "doesn't have an identity", and needs to relocate or make itself more distinct from the Victory, or that the Victory have saturated the market etc.

It's all bullshit. 

We are a club that despite making it impossible to recruit new fans with our performances this past year especially, still has over 6,000 regularly attend matches. I believe Munn has been quoted as saying that we have had something like 15,000 different people as members over our four years, which clearly indicates the interest is there, but not necessarily the motivation, and tbh fair enough. I go every week, like most on here, but I am one of those stupidly loyal fans that have never known success, as every side I have ever supported or played in has been shit. 

The thing that will turn this club around is not relocating to Geelong (an AFL town anyway), not renaming ourselves to be geographically distinctive (West Melbourne Heart, cause this won't limit our ability to attract the supporters we desperately need from the North, South and East of the city), but actually winning matches, playing attractive football and giving people the motivation to come instead of the prospect of 2 hours of immense frustration and "How the hell did they stuff that up?" moments.

I have brought no fewer than 15 friends to matches over the past 12 months, many interested enough to come to more than one match in the hope the first match they went to was an off day. Many of these are people who go to the AFL regularly and thus are the type of people who buy merchandise, who buy memberships and who come most weeks cause thats what you do. If we played well I have no doubts atleast 5 of them would be semi-regular to regular attendees and members, but unfortunately they don't want to come because it isn't fun laughing at how bad the side one of your mates supports and wants you to support. 

Success breeds success, and in our case success on field will breed success off field. The foundations of what could be a great club are there already, the interest is there. I'm just afraid that if we don't turn it around by halfway through next season we will be irredeemably damaged. We need to start winning or at the very least start entertaining. 

Not being fun to watch is what will kill us and make people stay away, not because we aren't sufficiently differentiated from Victory.

But we are fun to watch. I haven't laughed so hard as I have when watching us play. It got to the point of not being sad or angry anymore. :P  

But I know what you are saying. Good football and a well run club will at least give people an option and give a reason for people to come back.

Josip Skoko on shootout :droy:

But sums up our board and where the club is at the moment.

Hopefully things will improve from here on and I'm bloody excited about our new owners and what they will bring to the table.

In terms of marketing I think we need to spend big for next season and hire the best PR people possible. If we come up with an unique campaign that will let those poeple half keen on the heart to get their arse on a seat at AAMI park weekly 10k crowds are a realistic achievment. Combine this with an exciting list we can get the ball rolling and on our way to be an even better club.

We also need a clear statement of what the club stands for! So the players know what they're playing for and what the fans are paying money for.

Marketing is good, results are better. Training base, club facilities, results on and off the pitch. Give us something to support. The last two years have been very hard as a supporter and it is time that the club gets serious about attracting and rewarding those who support it. I don't mind us punching above our weight in Melbourne at the moment but at least come out swinging.

• Like 2

Good points.

Also, I don't know where this re-location to Geelong idea is coming from. If the A-League wanted a club in Geelong it would have/will set one up. Sure Heart is not doing all we can, but talk of re-location is rather pre-mature and outside of a few commentators fanciful ideas, seems to have no traction.

The call for HeartFC to move to Geelong was promoted by Geoff Lord, former Victree chairman, some two years ago almost to the day. I reckon a key part of this was to force HeartFC out of the city and leave it all to Victree to plunder - seems like a reasonable business strategy from their perspective.

But this article by Adrian Musolino in Jan 2012 provides an interesting and positive perspective on us.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/01/05/what-the-melbourne-derby-teaches-us-about-the-a-league/

We've got plenty to be proud of as a club but nobody talks about it. It was the Melbourne derbies that kept generating interest and positive news stories for the HAL while the Fury and GCU and Clive Palmer and the Jets were generating negative news stories. As Adrian says, the derbies provided a glimpse of what football could be like in Australia, with passion and excitement and crowds. And it was this that most likely drove the FFA to launch WSW and so create the Sydney derby.

If we had kept faith with our original goals when the club was setup and not gone for the quick, El Cheapo, marketing based options we would be in a far better place and the constant questions about identity would be a non issue.

• Like 4

Hopefully things will improve from here on and I'm bloody excited about our new owners and what they will bring to the table.

In terms of marketing I think we need to spend big for next season and hire the best PR people possible. If we come up with an unique campaign that will let those poeple half keen on the heart to get their arse on a seat at AAMI park weekly 10k crowds are a realistic achievment. Combine this with an exciting list we can get the ball rolling and on our way to be an even better club.

We also need a clear statement of what the club stands for! So the players know what they're playing for and what the fans are paying money for.

This should coincide by giving the club a new look symbolising a fresh start after the 2 years of hell. The new owners should organise brand new kits going into next season. Perhaps dumping Kappa for Adidas or Nike. Also a slight tinkering/redefining of the logo wont go astray. Always thought it looks unfinished the way it is.

This should coincide by giving the club a new look symbolising a fresh start after the 2 years of hell. The new owners should organise brand new kits going into next season. Perhaps dumping Kappa for Adidas or Nike. Also a slight tinkering/redefining of the logo wont go astray. Always thought it looks unfinished the way it is.

Fair idea, a re launch of the club (new kits, swished up logo) would give the impression that we are ready for a more succussful future with a clear direction.

Fair idea, a re launch of the club (new kits, swished up logo) would give the impression that we are ready for a more succussful future with a clear direction.

No, no pr, no new marketing, no rebranding. Just get the football right please

• Like 3

No, no pr, no new marketing, no rebranding. Just get the football right please

I think a new logo and new kit brand (same colors and stripes) wouldn't be the end of the world.

Shows its a NEW Melbourne Heart. A more dominating clear logo wouldn't go astray. Something like I have as my DP done by LR9.

Then get a deal with Adidas and that's it.

I agree focus on pouring mmoney into making us successful but these two modifications would be good for us.

Definitly agree with the new kit supplier. Personally, I really like the logo (if they removed the name above it). Still think we should embrace our short past no matter how bad it is, as I think with time this part of our history may be a defining moment on the identity thing. Totally agree with JW that it's absolute crap. The only reason why it keeps being talked about is because of the results. However we will for a few years yet will be looked at in contrast to victory which I don't see why they can't see the differences Victory clearly went with a broader Victorian outlook, whereas we are clearly more for the city of Melbourne

• Like 2

Definitly agree with the new kit supplier. Personally, I really like the logo (if they removed the name above it). Still think we should embrace our short past no matter how bad it is, as I think with time this part of our history may be a defining moment on the identity thing. Totally agree with JW that it's absolute crap. The only reason why it keeps being talked about is because of the results. However we will for a few years yet will be looked at in contrast to victory which I don't see why they can't see the differences Victory clearly went with a broader Victorian outlook, whereas we are clearly more for the city of Melbourne

Seriously that needs to go its like they couldn't be bothered finding a proper font so they chose the most basic and left it

• Like 1

Just fuck the words off from the logo and everything else can stay the same.

Saying that I wouldn't be opposed to charcoal shorts.

The words are there only some of the time. But I agree that the "MH" in the logo is all that is required all of the time. If you need to add words then a logo isn't definitive enough.

Yep. Charcoal shorts, with one red and one white stripe about 2mm wide on the outside of each leg.

Just fuck the words off from the logo and everything else can stay the same.

Saying that I wouldn't be opposed to charcoal shorts.

The words are there only some of the time. But I agree that the "MH" in the logo is all that is required all of the time. If you need to add words then a logo isn't definitive enough.

Yep. Charcoal shorts, with one red and one white stripe about 2mm wide on the outside of each leg.

Agree too. Should also add charcoal outline into our logo sort of like Wolves have done with white http://www.wolves.co.uk/cms_images/common/wolves67-46079.jpg

From the FFA website. Half-term report card.

Where to start with Melbourne Heart?

After a promising draw in the Melbourne derby in Round 1, things have gone from bad to worse for Heart.

John Aloisi, one of their favourite sons, was dismissed last week with former coach John Van't Schip taking the reigns for the remainder of the season. It was a sad end to Aloisi's association with Heart, a club he had been with from the very beginning.

Their style of football at times was very appetising, and it was very rare indeed that they had their full strength side on the park.

Indeed, it could be argued that they haven't yet done so, after the terrible injury sustained by Orlando Engelaar in pre-season.

Engelaar is a player of serioues pedigree, he was capped 14 times by the Netherlands and played at Euro 2008.

But, he suffered a fractured leg in a friendly against Brisbane Roar in Lismore and grave fears were held over his ability to participate at all this season. He has rehabiliated well though, and may well appear in the coming weeks.

That won't help Aloisi though, who wanted to build the Heart side around the talents of Engelaar in midfield and Harry Kewell in attack. Kewell's injury problems seem to be behind him now and his class isn't in doubt, but without he and Engelaar, there were question marks over Heart's depth.

Maltese legend Michael Mifsud was also recruited in the off-season. He once scored a double at Old Trafford for Coventry City in a 2-0 win and has scored 39 goals in 104 appearances for the Maltese national side, which he captains.

His pace has caused trouble for many defences in the A-League this season but his finishing has let him down. He has scored just once, against Sydney FC in Round 10, but the feeling remains that for all his opportunities, soon the goals will start flowing.

It was after the Round 12 defeat to Wellington Phoenix that the Heart board took the decision to dismiss Aloisi and replace him with Van't Schip, who was already back at the club in a technical capacity.

The 0-0 draw with Central Coast Mariners was a decent start to Van't Schip's second coming as coach, but the facts remain stark.

Heart haven't won a match this season, drawing five and losing eight. They have only scored nine goals and have the worst defence in the league, having conceded 22 times.

They are one match away from equalling the A-League record for consecutive matches without a win, 19, currently held by New Zealand Knights.

Chairman Peter Sidwell said at the Aloisi press conference that Heart are aiming for finals football. The case of the Wellington Phoenix proves that a few wins in succession can change everything, but Heart need theirs to start this weekend.

STAR MAN: Massimo Murdocca

Murdocca has been as neat and tidy as you would come to expect from a player of seasoned A-League experience.

His ability to retain possession in tight areas is crucial to the way Heart want to play, even if the results haven't matched thier performances. Murdocca's burgeoning partnership with Nick Kalmar in deep midfield has added extra steel in recent weeks.

Aloisi valued Murdocca's metronomic consistency in the centre of the park and he has played every single minute of the season so far.

His passing accuracy of 82.6% is higher than those of Luke Brattan and Aaron Mooy, who play similar roles for the top two teams in the league.

COACH'S REPORT: John Aloisi/John Van't Schip

Once the wins stop coming it is always difficult for coaches in what is essentially a results-based business.

Aloisi was a Heart foundation player and scored the last goal of a decorated career for Heart against Sydney FC, before one year as National Youth League coach led to him taking the top job. Hindsight says he probably wasn't ready, but there is no doubt that Aloisi will resurface as an excellent coach in the future.

Sometimes, things just don't work out and Aloisi's history with Heart probably afforded him a longer stay of execution than other clubs would have allowed.

He was popular with the players and he was dignified and defiant throughout, but something had to give.

MARK: D-

This "relocation to Geelong" (or "relocation to anywhere") is really not worth debating. There is absolutely no logic in it whatsoever. If we can draw crowds of "only" 6,000-8,000 in Melbourne with its greater metropolitan population of close to 4 million, why anyone would suggest that we would do better moving to a location with a population of around 500,000 defies any form of reasoning.

I for one am really tired of Heart being the whipping boy of the media. It simply stiffens my resolve to go on supporting the club that I have adopted. The media chooses to ridicule us for our poor playing record, for appointing a novice coach, and then for sacking the very same coach responsible for just that record. Now attacks us for the resignation of Hayden Foxe. Now because various people have left the club in the past three seasons - no discussion of whether they have bettered themselves by doing so, and no discussion that Heart might actually have realised some benefit in bringing Nus and Ripamonti on board to replace those who have left. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I am also pretty disgusted that FFA condones some of the whipping to take place on its own web-site (not that too many people read it anyway). Perhaps he is on the way out, but I admire SM in this instance for standing up for what he believes is right

Yes, I think everyone acknowledges that Heart has made some mistakes. But please tell me what other A-League clubs have not done the same? If I were Sidwell I would pick up the phone to Gallop and tell him to call the hounds off. Enough is enough.

Edit:

Incidentally, according to Ultimate A-League, all-time average home attendances are:

Victory: 22,243

WSW: 14,950

Sydney: 14,806

Brisbane: 14,227

Adelaide: 11,086

Newcastle: 10,793

CCM: 9,806

Heart: 8,913

Wellington: 8,858

Perth: 8,675

According to those figures, Perth is a failure and should relocate to Geelong...

Geelong Glory has a nice ring to it.