Melbourne Football

Lets talk about our finals chances for a sec

Tesla

I think that our finals chances are realistically zero. It's unlikely that we'll win any game after we beat adelaide although we may draw with WSW at home. That won't be enough. Even if it is we have a snowflakes chance in hell of winning an away finals game when we can't even beat a 10 man Phoenix at the bottom of the ladder.

Rebuild for next season. Just play all the kids. Should not even think about finals after that shit we served up today.

This is not AFL its A League,

If we had missed the finals last season with four rounds to go and just played the kids then we would have played:

Eli, Good, Hamil and Goodwin.

What would we have gained by doing this???

We can gain an inside into what our team will look like next season. There is no point in stumbling into 5 or 6th spot and getting thumped like we did last season. The only way i think we can be reasonably competitive in finals is if we somehome draw a final with victory and for that to even happen we would need to be lucky. Why not play the kids?? There the future!! Van schip would've already cleared half the list out now if he had been coaching!!!! Simon, Matty thompson and fred may only have 1-2 seasons left for the heart, why not play a stefan mauk? We quite clearly do not deserve to be in finals, and i think with 4 games left we can see whos worth keeping and whos worth cutting out of our younger players. 

I'm guessing you just missed Cadettes point completely ? what kids do we actually have worth playing atm other than Vranks? and will they be here round 1 next season ? i doubt players like Garuccio and mitchinson will starting 11 next season 

Why wouldn't Garuccio and Mitchinson be in the starting 11?

Coyne is out of contract in 4 games. Who else is there besides an injured Mitchinson, maybe Kaya or another NYL guy? And then there is Garcia out of contract, with no certainty of signing him. You have Gol Gol with OP and knee issues, Mate who still isn't running and Williams.

Guys like Mauk, Edwards, Epifiano, Kaya etc. need to be given incentive to stay with the Club, otherwise, don't we have a series of "Goodwin" departures?

Why do they need an incentive to stay if they're deemed not good enough ? they'll be blooded into the team when they show enough in the NYl or maybe even the upcoming preseason, realistically Walker is on the only youth player to have "made it" into senior level in our 3 year history.

Its laughable to think 6 of them could be staring for us next season, On the whole Goodwin thing he got plenty of game time with us the reason he didn't sign was because of Munn and JDs utter ineptness 

If we don't think that players such as Mauk and Garuccio will be contenders for an A-League berth next season wtf did we sign them for? Both have senior contracts for next season already.

AFAIK J. Walker and Mitchinson were on NYL contracts, but as the NYL has finished presumably they are now on short-term senior contracts.

Coyne is on until the end of the season, Edwards on 6 months and Meeuwis on 3 months.

ATM we look as if we still believe we can finish in the top 6 and that we can do it by playing various players who have not delivered in the past. That's one school of thought. The other school of thought is to say let's get some other players some meaningful game time to see whether they might be worth keeping for next season, and if that means we finish out of the top six so what because the damage has already been done and it is better to think about the future. And we might still make the top six with the second option anyway.

People are entitled to their point of view on this.

I just wish I could see some sort of PLAN for the future in what we're doing, but I can't.

• Like 1

Rebuild for next season. Just play all the kids. Should not even think about finals after that shit we served up today.

If we had missed the finals last season with four rounds to go and just played the kids then we would have played:

We can gain an inside into what our team will look like next season. There is no point in stumbling into 5 or 6th spot and getting thumped like we did last season. The only way i think we can be reasonably competitive in finals is if we somehome draw a final with victory and for that to even happen we would need to be lucky. Why not play the kids?? There the future!! Van schip would've already cleared half the list out now if he had been coaching!!!! Simon, Matty thompson and fred may only have 1-2 seasons left for the heart, why not play a stefan mauk? We quite clearly do not deserve to be in finals, and i think with 4 games left we can see whos worth keeping and whos worth cutting out of our younger players. 

I'm guessing you just missed Cadettes point completely ? what kids do we actually have worth playing atm other than Vranks? and will they be here round 1 next season ? i doubt players like Garuccio and mitchinson will starting 11 next season 

Coyne is out of contract in 4 games. Who else is there besides an injured Mitchinson, maybe Kaya or another NYL guy? And then there is Garcia out of contract, with no certainty of signing him. You have Gol Gol with OP and knee issues, Mate who still isn't running and Williams.

Guys like Mauk, Edwards, Epifiano, Kaya etc. need to be given incentive to stay with the Club, otherwise, don't we have a series of "Goodwin" departures?

Why do they need an incentive to stay if they're deemed not good enough ? they'll be blooded into the team when they show enough in the NYl or maybe even the upcoming preseason, realistically Walker is on the only youth player to have "made it" into senior level in our 3 year history.

Its laughable to think 6 of them could be staring for us next season, On the whole Goodwin thing he got plenty of game time with us the reason he didn't sign was because of Munn and JDs utter ineptness 

How do you deem them "not good enough" for the senior team if they haven't played there? All these guys have been reported on the Club website to be NYL stand outs, have been included in Match Day squad. If not for Fabio's reckless challenge, Garrucio might be in Gol Gol's or Williams' current spot. If Mitchinson wasn't injured, he would still be out there at LB, and Coyne might not even be in the picture.

We complain about the lack of Club direction and philosophy, and there has been the concept of youth promotion thrown around, so why not get serious and find youth talent that can play at a Senior level or higher?

How do you deem them "not good enough" for the senior team if they haven't played there? All these guys have been reported on the Club website to be NYL stand outs, have been included in Match Day squad. If not for Fabio's reckless challenge, Garrucio might be in Gol Gol's or Williams' current spot. If Mitchinson wasn't injured, he would still be out there at LB, and Coyne might not even be in the picture.

We complain about the lack of Club direction and philosophy, and there has been the concept of youth promotion thrown around, so why not get serious and find youth talent that can play at a Senior level or higher?

You clearly dont watch many NYL games do you?

You do realise that many of these kids are no certainty of even having long VPL/NSWPL careers, let alone making it to A League?

Just look at Zac Walker for an example.

Edited by cadete

You do realise that many of these kids are no certainty of even having long VPL/NSWPL careers, let alone making it to A League?

Granted, I don't watch much NYL, but you also haven't written what I wrote. The Club is pushing these names, not me.

Zac Walker - great that you raise that. Here's a kid that was recruited on the back of a long goal scorer streak, albeit in the Albury-Wodonga League. Played NYL for 2 seasons and touted by fans, who went to NYL as being able to step up to A-League. There was even that period last season when fans wanted him to be on the bench, possibly start. Did he ever get that look in? No. Could he have cut it? Maybe, but how do we know without seeing him play at the requiste level? Now, he has quit the Club for a VPL club. Had he been given the Senior Level chance, he probably would still be with the Club.

Granted, I don't watch much NYL, but you also haven't written what I wrote. The Club is pushing these names, not me.

Zac Walker - great that you raise that. Here's a kid that was recruited on the back of a long goal scorer streak, albeit in the Albury-Wodonga League. Played NYL for 2 seasons and touted by fans, who went to NYL as being able to step up to A-League. There was even that period last season when fans wanted him to be on the bench, possibly start. Did he ever get that look in? No. Could he have cut it? Maybe, but how do we know without seeing him play at the requiste level? Now, he has quit the Club for a VPL club. Had he been given the Senior Level chance, he probably would still be with the Club.

Are you really serious???

Many of these very same fans four or five months earlier we're also claimly that Jason Hoffman was a changed man and set to score a bag of goals as Heart's targetman for 2011-12.

Walker did not get a look in because his nowhere near consistent enough at NYL Level or at VPL level to be considered an A League player, he also has no natural position in the formation MHFC has played since its begining as he lacks the height to be a 9, the vision to be 10 and he gets simply lost when placed on the wing.

You have no evidence what so ever to say that if Zac had been given a Senior Chance then he would still be with the Club.

In fact if this is really case then before his second season dont you one out the other A League clubs may have offered a Senior Contract???

Of course like MHFC no other A League clubs came calling and that is why he signed for the Thunder.

I think it should also be noted that the second half of the season saw our NYL team struggle against other club's NYL teams, therefore I dont know how you a think a MHFC side half made up of NYL player is going to go against clubs chasing finals glory.

Jason Hoffman was playing as an out-and-out striker in the 11-12 preseason. Name one game he has played in that role since? I can't think of one. But I can think of him playing LB, DM, CM, AM, Wing and Bench Utility. As for no natural position, what about M. Thompson? Wasn't Behich moulded into a LB? Williams played as a central striker at NQF and now plays wing.

Why else would Z. Walker leave the Club, besides not being offered career progression? How many senior scouts or senior head coaches from opposing sides go to NYL matches? Goodwin broke through on his Derby performance. Z. Walker never had that chance.

If Edwards was signed on a senior contract until the end of the season and doesn't play 1 minute, he is entitled to feel jibbed. The same goes for Vrankovic, particularly in light of the way he has been dropped for Colosimo. Those 6 names should be given the chance before the season is out, if only to keep them around for NYL next year, but hopefully to put Senior Team experience under their belt.

Jason Hoffman was playing as an out-and-out striker in the 11-12 preseason. Name one game he has played in that role since? I can't think of one. But I can think of him playing LB, DM, CM, AM, Wing and Bench Utility. As for no natural position, what about M. Thompson? Wasn't Behich moulded into a LB? Williams played as a central striker at NQF and now plays wing.

Why else would Z. Walker leave the Club, besides not being offered career progression? How many senior scouts or senior head coaches from opposing sides go to NYL matches? Goodwin broke through on his Derby performance. Z. Walker never had that chance.

If Edwards was signed on a senior contract until the end of the season and doesn't play 1 minute, he is entitled to feel jibbed. The same goes for Vrankovic, particularly in light of the way he has been dropped for Colosimo. Those 6 names should be given the chance before the season is out, if only to keep them around for NYL next year, but hopefully to put Senior Team experience under their belt.

1.) Hoffman played several times at CF early in the 11-12 Season, usually as a Sub for Maycon until thankfully Eli replaced both of them.

Two games that stand out were the one in Morwell and our win in Sydney.

2.) He left the club because his too old for NYL next season, and joined a VPL club because no club has offered him a spot on a A League List.

3.) JVS attended almost every NYL game in Victoria at the least, whilst JA does the same.

I don't even  understand your arguement cadete. Surely you aren't watching the senior team because half of them shouldn't be playing a league let alone vpl. Vranks should be playing, Meeuis (spelling) should be playing I'm sure we could be giving a kid experience that would give us as much as Coyne (pretty much nothing) and we would be better off for it. 

JWI summed it up are we playing for this season (if so not sure why) or next? At the moment it looks like Aloisi is trying to get into finals so he can go to the board and say wow I made finals keep me on. If he is here next season which i think he should get another go then they need to allow him to start looking ahead.

1.) Hoffman played several times at CF early in the 11-12 Season, usually as a Sub for Maycon until thankfully Eli replaced both of them.

Two games that stand out were the one in Morwell and our win in Sydney.

2.) He left the club because his too old for NYL next season, and joined a VPL club because no club has offered him a spot on a A League List.

3.) JVS attended almost every NYL game in Victoria at the least, whilst JA does the same.

I was one of those backing Hoffman at the start of last season, I was wrong. He can score regularly but not with the amount of space he's given at HAL senior level. I take your point about Zac Walker, but despite his limitations he remained a regular scorer for the youth team when used as an impact player. What he does have is a box poacher's natural instinct. I'm surprised that we haven't seen Josh Groenwald in the senior team though.

I don't even  understand your arguement cadete. Surely you aren't watching the senior team because half of them shouldn't be playing a league let alone vpl. Vranks should be playing, Meeuis (spelling) should be playing I'm sure we could be giving a kid experience that would give us as much as Coyne (pretty much nothing) and we would be better off for it. 

JWI summed it up are we playing for this season (if so not sure why) or next? At the moment it looks like Aloisi is trying to get into finals so he can go to the board and say wow I made finals keep me on. If he is here next season which i think he should get another go then they need to allow him to start looking ahead.

Seriously mate, just because the team are loosing does not mean they cant play VPL or NYL.

Do you even spend much time watching these levels of football?  :hmm:

Please list the players who should not be playing VPL or NYL???  :hmm:

As I explained way back, there is no point preparing for next season now as we have no idea who we will sign/or who will depart the club before next season.

This is not AFL, its A League where clubs like MH lose Eli, Good, Hamill, and Goodwin before the season and then get Eli back and lose Aziz and Marrone.

Someone else said that if JVS was in the current situation the club's in he would got rid of the elder players and starting playing youth, well JVS was in this position in Season One and not even with his obsession on Youth did he go chose to do this routine playing JA and Sibon until the season's end. 

We next years preseason to test players, we can still make the finals... lets aim for that.

If the finals are gone, then the team should try their hardest to beat their Away Hoodoo and giving the Home Fans something to cheer about at Home as well.

There is a news report today that we are trialling an 18 year old Roar NYL player who hasn't been able to break into the senior side. He is a holding mid and if successful, will be offered a senior contract for next season.

All ties in to what was being discussed above. If you are looking at other NYL players for senior contracts next year, why not try ours out in the last 4 matches?

There is a news report today that we are trialling an 18 year old Roar NYL player who hasn't been able to break into the senior side. He is a holding mid and if successful, will be offered a senior contract for next season.

All ties in to what was being discussed above. If you are looking at other NYL players for senior contracts next year, why not try ours out in the last 4 matches?

You do realise we can still make the finals?

Yes. Will we? Unlikely, but not impossible.

It will become impossible if we start throwing away our consistency and start playing NYL players who've never touched A-League turf before.

It will become impossible if we start throwing away our consistency and start playing NYL players who've never touched A-League turf before.

Consistency?

• Like 1

Do you mean the consistency of playing at home and standing on the pitch away? Or the consistency of having the same team on the pitch for consecutive weeks? I think the only time we may have done that was the Perth-Sydney games when we had Socceroos out.

We play 2 away matches. Haven't won away since 29 Dec 2011. We play the ladder leaders, who will most likely be 9 wins in a row when they face us. And we play Adelaide, who might turn up.

Realistic views are harsh views. Do I want to see us in finals? Yes. Can we realistically make them? No.

Do you mean the consistency of playing at home and standing on the pitch away? Or the consistency of having the same team on the pitch for consecutive weeks? I think the only time we may have done that was the Perth-Sydney games when we had Socceroos out.

We play 2 away matches. Haven't won away since 29 Dec 2011. We play the ladder leaders, who will most likely be 9 wins in a row when they face us. And we play Adelaide, who might turn up.

Realistic views are harsh views. Do I want to see us in finals? Yes. Can we realistically make them? No.

I really dont think you are grasping the notion that Melbourne Heart are a professional football club and thus want to win games and make finals.

I really dont think you are grasping the notion that Melbourne Heart are a professional football club and thus want to win games and make finals.

If they didn't want to do that, then they would forfeit. This topic is about our finals chances. Realistically, our chances are slim. Therefore, it's a possibility to play fringe youth players with a view to our sqaud next year.

I don't think you grasp the notion of forward thinking and realism.

• Like 1

If they didn't want to do that, then they would forfeit. This topic is about our finals chances. Realistically, our chances are slim. Therefore, it's a possibility to play fringe youth players with a view to our sqaud next year.

I don't think you grasp the notion of forward thinking and realism.

Seriously I am over this conversation as its retarded.

The last thing MHFC can afford to do is abandoned is any slight chance at playing finals.

I'm not saying we should be playing fringe players for the rest of the season but surely the club wouldn't expect themselves to win 3 away games in a row (against teams better than us) considering we haven't won away in 14 odd months.

We have won 5 games in a row at home, so the club should be aiming to beat both Adelaide and WSW at Home in the next two weeks...

We then have the 2 away games - Its possible that we could enter the Brisbane game after winning two in a row for the first time in ages, and we have done alright in Brisbane in the past.

Also the last game at CCM could see us face a CCM whose ladder position is decided - Which could see them not wanting to risk certain players and possibly providing us with a greater chance to win.

Its not over yet IMO - 3/4 is still possible.

Edited by cadete

And I'm not sure that people are seriously advocating throwing in a whole heap of NYL players for their first-ever senior game. More likely that they are talking about playing one or two players who are already on senior contracts.

'Consistency in formation, structure and the majority of the line-up' is likely to produce the same old crap that we have served up away from home for 14 months. We have looked like a disorganised rabble for much of that time.

As for 'unfamiliarity', I thought that one of our brave new world ideas was that the seniors and youth league players were going to train together this season? If they have been doing that then I would have thought that they would have played plenty of practice matches of various types where players would have been playing alongside each other and against each other on a regular basis. If they haven't, well, perhaps they should have been? I don't see the point in 'training together' if that means only gymnastics and yoga and sharing some buttered toast.

• Like 1

And I'm not sure that people are seriously advocating throwing in a whole heap of NYL players for their first-ever senior game. More likely that they are talking about playing one or two players who are already on senior contracts.

'Consistency in formation, structure and the majority of the line-up' is likely to produce the same old crap that we have served up away from home for 14 months. We have looked like a disorganised rabble for much of that time.

As for 'unfamiliarity', I thought that one of our brave new world ideas was that the seniors and youth league players were going to train together this season? If they have been doing that then I would have thought that they would have played plenty of practice matches of various types where players would have been playing alongside each other and against each other on a regular basis. If they haven't, well, perhaps they should have been? I don't see the point in 'training together' if that means only gymnastics and yoga and sharing some buttered toast.

Well one bloke a few pages claimed that in this situation JVS would have been playing only kids six weeks ago... :up:

Whilst another claimed that a lot of are elder players are not even good enough to play NYL or VPL... :up:

results that would suit us this round:

Newcastle vs Perth - NEWCASTLE WIN OR DRAW

Sydney vs Central Coast - CCM WIN

Brisbane vs Victory - VICTORY WIN

Western Sydney vs Wellington - WSW WIN

Heart vs Adelaide - HEART WIN

tbh i think there's a realistic chance of all those results happening this week. It would see us go into 6th place, 3 points behind newcastle with a game in hand over them.

Edited by heart_fan10

I want to push for finals as hard as possible, if we got the chance to knock victory out it would be huge.

I really think our current starting eleven and bench is the strongest it's been in ages which was what made Sundays loss harder to grasp after being so strong against Sydney.

I was heading more towards the fact that we will only be making numbers up IF we do make finals.

Can't help but agree. It would be great to have a Derby for the first week of finals, but then outside of that, it's away to WSW or CCM.So even IF we do make the finals and its not a match in Melbourne against MV, you we should still field a team of NYL kids?

I also dont understand why should someone like Kalmar not get more time to develop his game as an AM instead of Mauk (One of the kids your are advocating that needs game time)?

And do you realise that our injuries have been so bad this season that at Fan Forum JA admitted if any NYL player had been good enough to make the Grade then they would have got their chance already.

(He said as such when he explained why he had to play Hoff as a Full Back as none of the Youth or Gray were up to the level that week.) 

Finally, you do realise that the vast bulk of the NYL team are not even offically Heart players as soon as the A League Season finishes, so its not like they are all automaticly on our list next year like in AFL?

So even IF we do make the finals and its not a match in Melbourne against MV, you we should still field a team of NYL kids?

Well, if you have changed the side prior to getting into the finals, that is to say that the NYL kids have played a part in getting you there, then that would be your strongest team (particularly if they have helped you win away), so yes.

I also dont understand why should someone like Kalmar not get more time to develop his game as an AM instead of Mauk (One of the kids your are advocating that needs game time)?

If the club isn't in a position to decide if they want to offer another contract to Kalmar after the recent run of starts he has had, then there are problems from a management level. And you need not drop Kalmar, but put Mauk on the bench instead of Fred, and sub him on at the requisite time.

And do you realise that our injuries have been so bad this season that at Fan Forum JA admitted if any NYL player had been good enough to make the Grade then they would have got their chance already.
(He said as such when he explained why he had to play Hoff as a Full Back as none of the Youth or Gray were up to the level that week.)

And yet Vrankovic is constantly dropped for Colosimo. Kaya gets a bench spot in the Derby to run the sidelines.

Finally, you do realise that the vast bulk of the NYL team are not even offically Heart players as soon as the A League Season finishes, so its not like they are all automaticly on our list next year like in AFL?

Yes.