Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Yesterday i met a guy, with a lot of connection to both victory and heart he told me

Karagounis doesn't look likely to sign, flores is about to sign for CCM and Melbourne Heart will be announcing its marquee in 1-2 weeks

Assuming it is a done deal, this would be in line with the July pre-season training deadline the club announced awhile ago.

Look forward to the press conference.

• Like 1

Good shout man, what makes it even more plausible is that he was only paid €500,000 1at Fiorentina last term..

Yeah but apparently he might be off to ajaccio where del piero just was offered to go. Honestly I'd almost rather him to holt. He'd be cheaper with no transfer fee, bring in more fans and probably score the same amount of goals. He just wouldn't be able to stay as long cause he's a few years older

What do you reckon Carlton Cole would want in wages he's on a free.

More realistically (not really), Jay Simpson is on a free? He's still young though.

The one for me though is Richard Dunne! As if we couldn't get that big gorilla down here. Surely he would choose us over Derby at this stage of his career?

Good shout man, what makes it even more plausible is that he was only paid €500,000 1at Fiorentina last term..

Yeah but apparently he might be off to ajaccio where del piero just was offered to go. Honestly I'd almost rather him to holt. He'd be cheaper with no transfer fee, bring in more fans and probably score the same amount of goals. He just wouldn't be able to stay as long cause he's a few years older

Even if they cost the same amount, I'd still rather Luca Toni TBH, but given the huge price difference (both in wage and transfer fee), Luca Toni si the far superior signing.

Haven't heard about Ajaccio chasing him, but newly promoted Verona are very keen on him as well.

Edited by Tesla

Sometimes I wonder whether MHFC is looking at the issue of a "marquee" player (or players) from the right perspective. IMO it's wrong to expect that just signing a player is going to bring instant success "both on and off the pitch", which is a phrase I see attributed to the club from time to time. The chances of instant success from the signing of a player that we can realistically afford are probably not all that high, but what a marquee player does is demonstrate that the club is ambitious and serious about being successful, and that in turn leads to more people talking about the club, then more people turning up to watch on a casual basis, and eventually greater membership and regular attendance. In parallel the club will also see a better class of player willing to join the club simply for the chance to play alongside and learn from the marquee (I think that's what we see at Sydney FC) and I also think that others in the game, such as administrators and national selectors, will also inevitably look more at the ambitious clubs rather than those just bumbling along.

In summary, IMO it's a mistake to look at at a marquee simply as a short-term investment. It's much more about building the status of a club.

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that our recruitment drive for next season has gone off the boil a bit, and if it has IMO that's a big mistake when looked at over the longer term.

• Like 3

What do you reckon Carlton Cole would want in wages he's on a free.

More realistically (not really), Jay Simpson is on a free? He's still young though.

The one for me though is Richard Dunne! As if we couldn't get that big gorilla down here. Surely he would choose us over Derby at this stage of his career?

tbf Carlton Cole doesn't really have the work ethic that we need in a striker, all last season he seemed lazy and unfit, quite like Babalj when he returned... Paying a truck load of money for an unfit and unmotivated striker would just be silly, considering he'd be able to get the same wages hovering around the championship and wouldn't have to move to the other side of the earth....

Would much rather pay more for Toni...

• Like 1

Crouch, Carlton Cole doesn't have many things as a footballer, but he certainly has work ethic. I would say he was one of the hardest working strikers in the PL when he played for us. But the actual ability was lacking sometimes (most of the time) and earnt him the hilarious nickname Can't Control Cole. He may appear lazy because of his abundance of size and evident lack of speed, but I assure you he isn't.

That said, I wouldn't want/don't think he will come to Heart as our marquee, even though he has been one of my favourite players at West Ham over the last couple of years,

Edited by marteaux

Halil Altintop?

Would say yes but we have enough wingers. Obviously none of his quality but still his not the type of player we need.

We need a genuine striker.. Nuno Gomes, Roland Linz, Ivan Klasnic, Kevin Kuranyi, Louis Saha etc

He played striker for kaiserslautern I am pretty sure, and was the 3rd top scorer in the bundesliga one season

Halil Altintop?

Would say yes but we have enough wingers. Obviously none of his quality but still his not the type of player we need.

We need a genuine striker.. Nuno Gomes, Roland Linz, Ivan Klasnic, Kevin Kuranyi, Louis Saha etc He played striker for kaiserslautern I am pretty sure, and was the 3rd top scorer in the bundesliga one seasonCould be thinking of his twin brother Hamit?

Halil Altintop?

We need a genuine striker.. Nuno Gomes, Roland Linz, Ivan Klasnic, Kevin Kuranyi, Louis Saha etcHe played striker for kaiserslautern I am pretty sure, and was the 3rd top scorer in the bundesliga one seasonCould be thinking of his twin brother Hamit?

No I am fairly sure it was Halil. Anyway he has signed with Ausburg tonight so it doesn't matter. Snapped up so quickly. Only became available on the w/e

Because

Just read the headlines in Greece. Karagounis deciding between Panathinaikos and Victards by Thursday.
Fuck hope jams it to the Victards.

Why in gods name is this still coming up, if you want to talk victory, go on their forum.

Because whether you like it or not, if Victory sign another big marquee player, it will impact Heart!

First it was Kewell and that hurt us a lot. If they sign Karagounis, it will not be too good for us either!

Disclaimer: Unless we sign Raul or some other kick-ass marquee then it doesn't matter what Victory does! ;-)

• Like 1

Because

Just read the headlines in Greece. Karagounis deciding between Panathinaikos and Victards by Thursday.

Why in gods name is this still coming up, if you want to talk victory, go on their forum.

Because whether you like it or not, if Victory sign another big marquee player, it will impact Heart!

First it was Kewell and that hurt us a lot. If they sign Karagounis, it will not be too good for us either!

Disclaimer: Unless we sign Raul or some other kick-ass marquee then it doesn't matter what Victory does! ;-) Okay, well maybe make a thread about it because this one is called 'Our marque man' . Not Victorys. OURS.

Because

Why in gods name is this still coming up, if you want to talk victory, go on their forum. Because whether you like it or not, if Victory sign another big marquee player, it will impact Heart!

Disclaimer: Unless we sign Raul or some other kick-ass marquee then it doesn't matter what Victory does! ;-) Okay, well maybe make a thread about it because this one is called 'Our marque man' . Not Victorys. OURS.

Alright, no need to get upset!  :P

We all want top players to come to Heart. I think if we had a Del Pierro then Garcia would have signed with Heart by now. This is why we need a top Marquee, it will make our club attractive to other players.

No it isnt,

Players are not that dumb that signing a big name vet is going get there signature...

• Like 1

We all want top players to come to Heart. I think if we had a Del Pierro then Garcia would have signed with Heart by now. This is why we need a top Marquee, it will make our club attractive to other players.

No it isnt,

Players are not that dumb that signing a big name vet is going get there signature... Whilst I agree it's defiantly not even close to "the reason" we need a Marquee, you can't deny that there would be appeal to players of playing with an ADP type.

No it isnt,

Players are not that dumb that signing a big name vet is going get there signature... Whilst I agree it's defiantly not even close to "the reason" we need a Marquee, you can't deny that there would be appeal to players of playing with an ADP type.

Well its def not the reason why Garcia has not signed...