Melbourne Football

Melbourne FC vs Perth Glory, Saturday 9th February, 5.30pm

MHFCRC

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1.Clint Bolton (Gk), 3. Cameron Edwards, 6. Patrick Gerhardt, 8. Matthew Thompson, 9. Dylan Macallister, 11. Richard Garcia, 13. Jonatan Germano,14. Golgol Mebrahtu, 15. David Williams, 17. Jason Hoffman, 18. David Vrankovic, 19. Ben Garuccio, 20. Andrew Redmayne (GK), 21. Jamie Coyne, 22. Nick Kalmar, 25. Jeremy Walker, 26. Ersin Kaya, 27. Stefan Mauk, 28. Paolo Retre, 36. Eli Babalj (Five to be omitted)

Ins: 3. Cameron Edwards (promoted), 9. Dylan Macallister, 17. Jason Hoffman (returns from suspension), 19. Ben Garuccio, 21. Jamie Coyne (transfer), 26. Ersin Kaya, 27. Stefan Mauk.

Outs: 24. Sam Mitchinson (quad strain - four weeks), 10. Josip Tadic (broken toe – 4-6 weeks), Steven Gray (released)

Unavailable: 4. Simon Colosimo (calf – two weeks), 5.Fred (quad strain – two weeks), 23.Mate Dugandzic (broken foot – season)

Considering the squad now, I would LIKE TO SEE the following put on the park:

Redmayne

Walker - Gerhardt - Vrankovic - Coyne

Germano - Thompson

Garcia - Babalj - Mebrahtu

Williams

What ALOISI WILL PROBABLY put on the park:

Redmayne

Walker - Gerhardt - Vrankovic - Coyne

Germano - Thompson

Garcia

Williams - Babalj - Mebrahtu

From what I've heard from within, concern over Edwards aggression and ability to dominate. Apparently technically excellent but needs to impose himself more on the park and come out of his shell. I even think this was mentioned on YouTube in the Nike academy clip. If only we could pump him full of roids and use appropriately placed electrodes!!

I reckon we may see Fred on the bench, although he's not named in the squad he's been training and this is a must win game for JA, I reckon it's a risk he'll probably take if Fred feels he is up to it.

Don't want Coyne or Hoffman anywhere near the matchday squad, although I fear JA will include both.

Hoping for:

Redders

Walker - Vrankovic - Gerhard - Thompson

Germano - Garcia - Kalmar

Gol Gol - Babalj - Williams

subs: Bolton, Garuccio, Edwards/Fred, D-Mac

I reckon we may see Fred on the bench, although he's not named in the squad he's been training and this is a must win game for JA, I reckon it's a risk he'll probably take if Fred feels he is up to it.

Don't want Coyne or Hoffman anywhere near the matchday squad, although I fear JA will include both.

Hoping for:

Redders

Walker - Vrankovic - Gerhard - Thompson

Germano - Garcia - Kalmar

Gol Gol - Babalj - Williams

subs: Bolton, Garuccio, Edwards/Fred, D-Mac

Would rather coyne than thompson TBH but i don't mind your line up.

Hopefully we'll get a good active area like i saw against adelaide

Would love to see Thommo at LB, back in the early days of the A-League he killed it for Newcastle and even got a gig for the Socceroos due to his performances.

He's struggling to deal with the pace in the middle of the park, a move out wide could rejuvinate him. He will certainly be no worse than Coyne

Player rankings

Kalmar 8 ( best on ground)

Gerhardt 8

Williams 8

Walker 6

Garcia 5

Babalj 6

Coyne 2 (only cus no opposition for him)

Thompson 4

Vrankovic 4

Germano 4

Finally we look threatening up front.

Not enough credit for Walker. Its been hard to fault him today.

I would much rather have Mitchinson at left back and get him experience that let the flog coyne play there

• Like 1

Thought we looked pretty good, Kalmar absolutely bossed the midfield all day, helped having Germano in there doing the 1%ers that nobody notices like dropping deep or pushing onto the ball carrier. Walker was brilliant, got beaten by pace once or twice, but his postioning was excellent, made a lot of good interceptions. The same can be said of Vrankovic, he read the game well and beat Smeltz to a lot of 50/50 balls.

Onwards and upwards from here, keep plugging away with Vrankovic and Walker and hope Kalmar can stay injury free.

Well done lads. That was a good win. Great homecoming for Eli too.

Bit worried about things were heading when we opened with "a famous chinese song" WTF?

But fortunately it didn't turn out to be a bad omen.

Yeah Kalmar was immense and Williams shredded them too. Personally i thought Walker was OK, but clearly has a lot to learn and needs more strength, I thought Coyne was good- why do you think Dodd got dragged?

Was really disappointed in Germano though, he looks a shadow of last year's version (has to be a story there) and Vrankovic wasn't really good enough either.

Player rankings

Kalmar 8 ( best on ground)

Gerhardt 8

Williams 8

Walker 6

Garcia 5

Babalj 6

Coyne 2 (only cus no opposition for him)

Thompson 4

Vrankovic 4

Germano 4

Finally we look threatening up front.

Not enough credit for Walker. Its been hard to fault him today.

I would much rather have Mitchinson at left back and get him experience that let the flog coyne play there

Be hard to put mitchision in considering he is injured, if you know coyne is a replacement for our injured backs and not a solution

Edited by millm103

Walker was defending 2 players because Richie wasn't tracking back. He looked really flat and tired today..

Played pretty well although Perth were horrible. So happy for Kalmar. Great to watch and technically superior to anybody else on the park.. Finally looking fully fit as well..

Babalj needs to work harder.

Great win by the team today, totally raped Glory today.

Walker's defending was superb, the kid has a fantastic work rate and never gives up.

Kalmar was on fire today, was everywhere, had a hand in all our attacking plays, made some killer passes and scored a cracker.

Now bring on the Jets and lets break this interstate drought!

Great performance today

Redmayne had really nothing to do

Walker was brilliant, his reading of the play is first class for someone with little experience

Gerhardt and Vrankovic were good, Smeltz has made us look silly in the past (the final springs to mind) and between them they blanketed him well

Coyne was solid for a first appearance. He will get better you have to remember he has been with the squad 3 days, it will take time for him to 100% pick everything up (was watching him in the warm ups and he was doing most things wrong, not super wrong like turning left instead of right, nothing big but backs up my point he doesn't know how we do everything yet)

Germano was ok, nothing special but he did a reasonable job in nullifying Miller

Thompson was also ok

Kalmar, that's the best game I've seen him play. MOTM

Garcia, probably one his poorer games. Didn't work back and his touch was off and a few passes especially to the overlapping Walker he underhit

Williams was a lot better this week, I was critical of him not taking on Galloway last week. He made Risdon(who I rate) look very poor today

Babalj was alright but IMO he works too far up the pitch, a couple of occasions he was getting the ball well into their half and he would look up and no one was there. Goal will give him confidence

Of the subs

Merbrahtu was lively but not a lot of supply

Macallister had a chance to make it 3, but he was looking to pass like he didn't want to shoot. Be a bit more greedy, was a good run but need to finish

Hoffman, 10 out of 10 performance. Came on ran around and never touched the thing, which meant he couldn't stuff anything up

• Like 4