Melbourne Football

Vince Grella RETIRING

MHFC19

So basically Grella cost us $3500 for every minute he contributed to Melbourne Heart. Do the math for his 29 minutes.

What a joke by the club to take this risk on him, and the club would have known alot more about his physical shape than

we do because they always hide this sort of stuff from us. Personally i think it was just JA being a good mate to Grella and

giving him $$$. What an fucking awful 48 hours for the club!!

Ps JA will probley sign Craig Foster up for a couple hundred thousand if he gets the sack from FoxFootball

Sydney FC took the risk on Culina when no other club in the A-League would, and they're reaping the benefits of it now.

Sometimes taking the risk on the injured star pays off. For us it didn't.

It sucks ass, but move on.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 3

If this move had paid off it would've been brilliant, IMO it was worth the gamble to have a guy of Vinnie's calibre at our club. Unfortunately his body could no longer do what his mind wanted to do. Kewell was able to do it last season at MV, so it wasn't unrealistic to think Vinny could offer the club something when they signed him.

We should all be wishing him the best in his future endeavours and be thankfull for his performances in the green & gold, particulary the WC2006 campaign where he was one of our best.

• Like 1

If this move had paid off it would've been brilliant, IMO it was worth the gamble to have a guy of Vinnie's calibre at our club. Unfortunately his body could no longer do what his mind wanted to do. Kewell was able to do it last season at MV, so it wasn't unrealistic to think Vinny could offer the club something when they signed him.

We should all be wishing him the best in his future endeavours and be thankfull for his performances in the green & gold, particulary the WC2006 campaign where he was one of our best.

Settle down everyone.

As above, give Grella some respect. We tried to help him, he tried to make a comeback, he tried bloody hard, and it didn't work out for him or us.

There are lessons for everyone in this.

No, this has not been the season we had hoped for, and yes, everyone is frustrated.

But if you truly are a supporter of this club accept the news, wish Vinnie all the best, and move on.

• Like 3

What intrigues me is that he tore his calf, yet played out the game? Just doesn't make sense...

I was thinking the same, he looked fine out on the pitch. I also saw articles about him and Babalj pulling up sore and being in doubt for the derby but I didn't see this coming at all.

Who knows what has happened...unlikley he tore his calf else he would not have completed the game on Saturday. More likely he pulled up lame and therefore decided it was best to "hang up the boots" rather than go back to rehab.

It was a big gamble that in hindsight was not going to pay off....They (club) should have pulled the pin on this way back before Christmas when it was bleeding obvious that his body was not going to hold up. After so many months of trying to get fit and then breaking down it was not a good sign.

The big question now is...Where does the club go from here???

We have three other players in the 30s who are also not playing.....Bolton (demoted to bench), Colosimo (injured, torn calf I heard), Fred (injured again...injury prone).

These players are letting the club down simply because they are at the end of their careers and probably should have retired last year. They are taking up valuable spots on a very small roster....we need to fill the experience with 25-28 year olds that can help the youngsters along.

So in total we have 4 x +30yo on the roster and all of them are not currently playing nor will be playing in the short term.......go figure!!!!!

Let's not jinx Garcia....

good news that they're looking for a replacement in what's been a strange couple of days. But i hope to god they aren't just looking for a short-term replacement like Jobe Wheelhouse which was reported a couple of weeks ago, and rather a longer term signing such as manny muscat.

Seeing as the transfer window ends this week, maybe we'll see this replacement lining up on saturday.

Heard Van Der Brink just left Perth, he would have been IDEAL for us but unfortunately gone to asia

Edited by heart_fan10

Settle down everyone.

As above, give Grella some respect. We tried to help him, he tried to make a comeback, he tried bloody hard, and it didn't work out for him or us.

There are lessons for everyone in this.

No, this has not been the season we had hoped for, and yes, everyone is frustrated.

But if you truly are a supporter of this club accept the news, wish Vinnie all the best, and move on.

Exactly, at least we arnt fucking Adelaide at the moment

Agree with the calls for calm. For months the signing has been debated as a gamble on this forum - it always was. Surprise, surprise, sometimes gambles don't pay off, otherwise we'd all be millionaires living in the lap of luxury. I never saw Vinnie as a savior, just the icing on the cake. We need to avoid the savior/gamble complex and concentrate on a solid and fit base of skilled players. I don't have any regrets at all signing him. It was always a risk, and no-one outside the tent can say what influence he has had around the club and it's culture. He may have really helped the young lads with their careers and outlook. Just seeing the effort and professionalism required to get back on the park could be a great spur to our younger players and raise their professionalism.

Here is a chance for our club to have a point of difference and a bit of media exposure over the Tards. How about our Board and CEO get thinking and give Vinnie a send off at out next home game. Show a few of his career highlights on the big screen at AAMI and he can do a lap of honour in a car and get applauded by the faithful. Not too hard to organise Scotty? Should bring up the issue of publicly recognising our players at the forum.

• Like 3

Great idea Natalie182. Hope someone is contacting Heart about this. Vinnie Grella was one of our greatest Socceroos.

Let's forget about his failed attempt to overcome injury and play with us. If the gamble succeeded it would have been fantastic for us. But we all knew it was a gamble.

A send off - say a lap of the oval in a car - and highlights from his Socceroos playing days - would be well received by everyone - heart and Victory supporters.

"... agree he deserves a send off for being a Socceroo etc but I honestly think it will feel strange giving him a huge send off by Heart seeing as he played 20 mins for Heart and we never even saw play him at home."

This is not a send off by just Heart, I would expect it to be a send off by supporters of both clubs to acknowledge the just announced retirement from all football by Vinnie Grella, one of our Socceroo greats.

I hate to say this, I have a feeling MHFC is *gulp* aabout to shut up shop.

What?

I have this terrible feeling that we're gonna go bust

Nah. I don't think so. I still feel though that vinnie realised quickly he wasn't a up for it. Didn't want to be seen struggling. Only speculating though.

"... agree he deserves a send off for being a Socceroo etc but I honestly think it will feel strange giving him a huge send off by Heart seeing as he played 20 mins for Heart and we never even saw play him at home."

This is not a send off by just Heart, I would expect it to be a send off by supporters of both clubs to acknowledge the just announced retirement from all football by Vinnie Grella, one of our Socceroo greats.

Come on guys get serious.Why are we even contemplating sharing a send off with the Blue Scum of Melbourne when Vinnie was a HeartFC player. I don't care if it was for 10 min or 10 years. Why are we contemplating being 'nice' to the Tards? Garcia and Behich are Socceroos and we wouldn't dream of sharing a send off with the other mob. Let's build a culture for our club. The other mob wouldn't give a rats if we were dead! Let the FFA provide a general HAL send off if they want. Edited by HEARTinator

I hate to say this, I have a feeling MHFC is *gulp* aabout to shut up shop.

What?

I have this terrible feeling that we're gonna go bust :o

Just a feeling or based on anything significant?

From what I am hearing we are going to break even, we have a license for a long time and rumour that we are about to announce finally the new facilities being built. So would go against what is said? Although I suspect some bad news on the way from twitter talk, but not sure it will be as significant as that.