Melbourne Football

Round 11 - CCM v MHFC - 14 Dec, 7:30pm

cadete

Just another Friday night, mate.

As for the game - where the fuck was our midfield? Absolutely disgraceful performance from the team and yes, I do agree Colosimo played quite well considering.

Get down to training, rip flares, take their kits, and demand change.

As for the game - where the fuck was our midfield? Absolutely disgraceful performance from the team and yes, I do agree Colosimo played quite well considering.

Didn't some Dynamo Moscow fans turn up with a paint ball gun earlier this year because their team was crap. Maybe we should try that !!!

Live up to the trademark that was established in the inaugural season.

Kidnap John Aloisi.

Edited by Young Polak

Didn't some Dynamo Moscow fans turn up with a paint ball gun earlier this year because their team was crap. Maybe we should try that !!!

Live up to the trademark that was established in the inaugural season.

Kidnap John Aloisi.

I don't know if this idea would improve results, but it would certainly help with marketing and getting the club in the media spotlight. Perhaps you could re-post your idea on that thread?

Edited by Peter

A loss in the derby next week and our season is over. What a bloody waste of a season.

Our DNA is pathetic especially away from home. If we werent playing Victory next week our home crowd would be less than 4K

I bet the crowd next week is going to be 90% victory and 10% heart

We never go forward only back. Boring to watch. Glory always take a forward option - 3-0 they win. I don't believe that we would have won the game without the blunder. The last three weeks of football have done a shame to all of the a-league football clubs who work hard to play good football that attracts fans and boosts the league. D mac blew his chance. Back 4 was great, everything else in between was shite. But I will still come next week. I will still watch them. But it is frustrating to see how they are going wrong in so many areas

Central Coast are very good defensively, sit quite deep and don't let you play. I knew that we would not be able to build from the back very well as we don't do it well anyway but Central Coast make it even harder. But times when we did have some space and there was a promising attack, the distribution was absolutely embarrassing.. Either the ball was horrible, the player chose the wrong option or didn't pass the ball at all when another player made a good run.. This happens all the time, not just last night. What do they do at training all week? Or maybe we have a lot of unintelligent players that can't read the game or see the game properly. I don't know.

We had situations where we could have given them much more trouble last night. The midfield is just not good enough. Thompson was playing his own game again and can't put a 5 metre pass together at the moment, Fred looks half the player he really is and I don't know what to say about Hoffman anymore. How he plays and why he plays I don't know.. And in our "system" he is supposed to be the one that starts our attacks.. Makes no sense given his industrial technique.. especially when we have a very good defensive midfielder playing as a centre back and a very good young centre back sitting on the bench every week. Vrankovic in, Gerhardt to DM and Hoffman out. Simple.

Defensively we are actually quite organised as a team but individual mistakes are killing us. Bolton is a mistake waiting to happen in every game and it came last night. Regardless of his performances every week, no keeper should make a mistake like that. It is the most experienced players making basic errors that are costing us yet they continue to play every week despite it. JA said in his press conference that he could see Garcia, Behich and Marrone were not with it as soon as the game started.. They shouldn't have played and this is where having two totally inexperienced coaches kills us..

I would love to see JA change something, try something new and especially when we are losing. As soon as the goal went in last night I knew the game was over.. At the moment, the starting 11 is set each game regardless of form, fitness and results. JA and Foxe need to make some hard decisions and have some hard conversations with some good mates.. Not that it will happen..

btw... still don't think the team is fit enough.

Edited by kontra.11
  • Like 1

Agree with everything you say there Kontra. The idea of starting the season with a squad of 21 was a good one, but including Grella effectively made it 20, and with the long-term absence of Germano, and now Dugandzic and Garuccio we are down to 17. And the waste of a visa place on Gray brings it down to 16. With JA seemingly prepared to play NYL players only in an emergency the A-League squad therefore virtually picks itself. And you only have to look at that list of 16 to see that we will in no way challenge for the premiership. Some of the players are not good enough in the first place, and others have been below par for so long that no other club would play them. So last night's result had a sense of inevitably about it.

JA's error in playing Behich, Garcia and Marrone last night showed that he clearly does not believe in youth and I think therefore he's taking the club in the wrong direction. However, he cannot shoulder all the responsibility. Senior players are just not showing leadership either, and the club's management has to take responsibility for blunders such as Gray.

For the good of the club I don't think we should blunder on like this for the rest of the season. So IMO the time for action and change is NOW.

Last 3 home games we've scored 8 times.

Last 3 away games we'd be lucky to have taken 8 shots. It's as if we're getting on the plane with a 0-0 draw in mind. Defensively we aren't to bad. Offensively we're hopeless.

It's so depressing that the preseason recruiting was centred around bringing a solid DM and yet we find ourselves watching games with 'that guy' giving the ball away there and kicking the fkn thing backwards.

It is concerning now that what we stood for is no longer. I was under the impression that by only selecting either Aloisi or Milicic that we would be continuing our ways under JVS of youth promotion and passing, possession football. Both are not occurring now and it is not only affecting our standings on field, but we are taking a hit off the field also.

Our identity is damaged. We are being mocked because we have gone away from what we stood for.

To have two talented kids in Mitch and Walker play to such a level and the side function better with them, to remove them from the team sheet altogether was a farce. Behich should now be played in the midfield. We genuinely lack any creativity and pace in there. We have zero mobility with all the old geezers in there, where Aziz has that pace and ability to beat a man. Mitchenson can play the left back roll well and is better defensively. Marrone was almost man of the match for a Socceroos game, but can't find the same form for us. Walker could easily be played and Marrone made to earn his spot although I think Mitch should be in before Walker.

The problem we are having is our midfield lacks ideas and movement. Hence the defenders and midfielders getting the ball in midfield, hike it forward with long balls. They have no idea how to be creative. Bolton has been a great servant for our club, but his passing distribution is awful and has been for so long, for a team that also likes to play the ball out of the backhalf, so we are told, you cannot have a keeper who doesn't distribute well. Countless times he has given possession away. Redmayne was brought in for a reason. Having Bolton re-commit was a mistake. It was time to move forward. Colossimo despite being ok yesterday, should not be in the team. Vrankovic and Gerhardt can do the job.

My Derby Team:

Marrone Vrankovic Gerhardt Mitchinson

Garcia Germano Behich

Williams Tadic GolGol

Young, vibrant, pace, mobility and skill. This team would make a difference in my opinion.

A poor and uninspiring performance, that much is obvious. The question is why were we so poor. I reckon Mariners are part of the explanation, along with some faults in our game.

The Mariners are top of the league and a solid team because they have a habit of bringing the worst out of their opposition. This was evident Last round, where the Mariners convincingly beat the Jets 2-0 in Newcastle. So one of the main reasons for our poor performance was our opposition: ATM top of the league and in good form the Mariners bring out the worst in their opposition.

There were a few serious faults with Heart in this game as well. Bolton, playing out from the back and our away form let us down.

Bolton was largely at fault for both of the goals. He made the save of the week last round against Perth and has been solid all season, but in two crucial moments he stuffed up and gifted the Mariners 2 goals. It's hard to know how to read this terrible performance by Bolton, as either an exceptionally bad performance that we won't see again this season, or a sign of a keeper in decline who shouldn't start. There's at least 1 thread on Bolton, so no need to comment more on him here.

A lot of our attacking play was over before it had really begun, with us being terrible at playing out from the back. We were terribly slow with our passing and moment, which also explains why our decision making was poor when it came to playing out from the back. Most of the blame, in my opinion, rests on our central defenders and Thompson and Hoffman. These players where far too slow at passing, which explains why 60% of our possession in the first half was in our own half (and we only had 45% of possession. So we weren't in the Mariners half often enough, and we barely got into our final third). Colosimo and Gerhardt too often passed slowly back and forth between one another, and they sat too deep with the ball, meaning it was even harder than it should have been to play out from our half. The midfielders that are meant to help us transition the ball to midfield from defence, Hoffman and Thompson, didn't perform their duties well. They stood around and lacked movement (which partially explains the hopeful long balls to Macallister), and didn't pass well and smartly when either of them had the ball. Thompson has been poor for the past couple of games and Hoffman is a mediocre midfielder at best, so hopefully Thompson lifts and returning midfielders (Germano and Grella) solve that problem.

Lastly our away performances in general haven't been good. I think in this game we were pretty much playing for the nil nil draw, given that we were up against the number one team at their stadium, and we went halfway to achieving that goal before things went awry. But in general we haven't travelled well, a sign of this was we passed the ball twice as fast after we scored compared with our passing speed prior to conceding. This is one thing Aloisi could possibly be faulted for, not motivating the team properly for away games. Since we've been doing so well at home it hasn't been an issue, but if we expect to finish high up the ladder we need to significantly lift our game away from home.

On Aloisi, I don't think he did much wrong in this game. IMO, Garcia should had played in RW and Fred should have been an attacking midfielder, but apart from that most of the blame for this performance and result doesn't rest on him. You can't blame Aloisi for Bolton conceding 2 speculative efforts on goal. He could improve our away performances in general, but we were always likely to mimic Newcastle and perform poorly against the top of the table, in excellent form Central Coast Mariners.

Hopefully we see an improvement next week in the Melbourne Derby, like we've seen multiple times before.

I agree with your insightful post. Our problem is (in different ways) our back 4 and our midfield, OK that doesn't leave much but I think that our forwards are potentially very good.

We have 2 converted midfielders playing CB, Gerhardt is a great signing who should be playing as a DM. Colosimo has some great games like last night but has a playing style riddled with regular fatal (to the result) errors. Neither are good at playing out from the back. Our RB & LB are great players who both provide inaccurate service to our forwards limiting their effectiveness.

Our midfielders are the main problem. Thompson and Fred are both playing poorly, Thompson and Hoffman don't move into positions to receive the ball and then take too long with their decision making. Our ball speed is then fatally slow. Runs are ignored or the ball is played too late so the player is off-side or the angle is too tight, nobody makes a run to the far post any more.

Our pass accuracy is terrible, I haven't seen the stats but I'd be surprised if our midfielders didn't have the lowest pass completion rate in the league.

I appreciate the selection problems for JA given the limited squad size and injuries to key players. I think that he is following the temptation that many first year coaches have - play conservatively and cautiously. This is understandable however:

it isn't our natural style

It influences team selection so that players who should be dropped are retained in the squad as known quantities over untested younger players

It leads to a negative mindset in the team.

I'd rather see us lose games like last night 5-0 and play some hungry young players who will learn from their mistakes rather than tired limp performances like last night

Hey Heart players? Do you think that us (fans) are worried too much about losing? Well let me tell you we are not. We want to see 11 players and coach to be giving all they got. Thats it. If I under perform at my job Ill get a warning and probably get sacked if I continue. Do you hear that Thompson, Hoffman and co? What the fu#* do you do at training all week? Do you call that football? My U10 team has more passion than you. Youre creating a loosing mentality that passes onto the fans and the new fans. If you dont care thats fine. But LEAAAVE. The season is probably gone to waste so lets bring on the youngsters. Did anyone else wanted to break the tv last night? What was that? We must be the most boring team in the comp. theres no plan. Nothing+ our players have no passion whatsoever. I dont care if we beat victory 10-0. I want to see football with passion and plan. And the current squad and management cannot provide that.

Didnt break the TV but took it out on my wife. Thompson and hoffmand need to be dropped.

Thompson and hoffman need to be dropped.

They're not the only ones. Having a different team on the field might improve the remainder of this season, but there are systemic issues in the club that to be addressed. Player recruitment, length of contracts, injury management, fitness, psychological approach, etc. If we don't address these issues it will be the same next year, just with a different mob.

• Like 1

This forum is just so bloody reactive. Dropping Bolton? I know he had a howler, absolutely woeful but do we remember last week? That save was absolutely world class. I don't think he has been wonderful this season but I think he has been decent. Also, having a young keeper just come straight in for a derby?

I think it probably should be Bolton's last season but overall I still believe he deserves a spot in the side. Colosimo baggers are simply selective watchers. Without him or Gerhardt, we'd have been absolutely smashed last night. I am definitely, DEFINITELY not a fan of Colosimo but no way would I drop a guy who was COMFORTABLY in our best 2 last night.

• Like 2

What an insipid performance. Were we scared of Central Coast? Going out to play with that super defensive mentality. Why, not even one shot on goal in the first half! The normally solid Bolton had a shocker, though the weak effort in the wall also contributed to the second goal. While Colosimo had one of his better games for the year, there are three of our more senior players whose seasons have been very poor. They may even be three of our highest paid players and are not giving anywhere near value for money. They are Simon Colosimo, Matt Thompson and Fred. The standard of the A League has risen each year. These players have not kept pace and are now being badly shown up. Recruiting between seasons was very poor. For example, we have a foreigner on our roster who doesn't get a game, and could we do no better than McAllister? We also start Colosimo week after week. It doesn't seem to matter how many goals he has cost us by giving away penalties or passing straight to the opposition. I'll also add a comment about the Perth game. The only good thing was the win. About 10 minutes into the second half I said to the folks who sit next to me each week, "I feel like going home. This game is absolute crap." Very poor passing, boring defending watching Colosimo dwell on the ball for ages then kick it sideways or back to the keeper etc. etc. How do you expect folks to keep coming back when rubbish like that is being dished out?

Reckon we can bring in Germano after just one YTS game? We badly need him. I am not as anti Hoffman as pretty much everyone here. He works his arse off, has a great tank allowing him to run from box to box and creates pressure on the oppositon's gun play makers but he simply isn't good enough. Kills us when trying to win and especially keep possession of the ball.

Would love Germano back in DM. I don't mind having two DMs but one when of them is basically like an AFL style old school tagger, it is brutal. We are basically relying on closing side down for 90 minutes and doing a smash and grab at the other end. I understand we have actually stopped the opposition from creating their own goals when away and it's mostly been our errors but that's what happens when you play such a defensive style. You have the ball in your defensive half so much you are really opening yourself up to errors.

• Like 1

Hey Heart players? Do you think that us (fans) are worried too much about losing? Well let me tell you we are not. We want to see 11 players and coach to be giving all they got. Thats it. If I under perform at my job Ill get a warning and probably get sacked if I continue. Do you hear that Thompson, Hoffman and co? What the fu#* do you do at training all week? Do you call that football? My U10 team has more passion than you. Youre creating a loosing mentality that passes onto the fans and the new fans. If you dont care thats fine. But LEAAAVE. The season is probably gone to waste so lets bring on the youngsters. Did anyone else wanted to break the tv last night? What was that? We must be the most boring team in the comp. theres no plan. Nothing+ our players have no passion whatsoever. I dont care if we beat victory 10-0. I want to see football with passion and plan. And the current squad and management cannot provide that.

Rgarding the passion thing, thats probably what worries me most. Its one of the biggest ironies that for a team called Heart, could be so half-hearted in just about every aspect. But most dissapointingly, in the players passion and determination as you mention. Like you, i just wanted to see us score a goal last night, but they didnt have the motivation to even pull one back. This is vital to address, once again as you say, if the players dont show the passion, how can you expect fans to not only rock up but get passionate about the fuken game theyre there to see!

Aloisi must suck at giving team talks, he probably uses generic one liners, ignores personality traits in the dressing room and stares at the mirror half the time fixing his little faggy pullover. You watch a player like gerhardt, puts it all on the line and shouts, and you get inspired and proud. We need more of that. Less incompetence and players being made aware of their faults and promoting competition for spots at the fear of losing your first team privleges.

Rgarding the passion thing, thats probably what worries me most. Its one of the biggest ironies that for a team called Heart, could be so half-hearted in just about every aspect. But most dissapointingly, in the players passion and determination as you mention. Like you, i just wanted to see us score a goal last night, but they didnt have the motivation to even pull one back. This is vital to address, once again as you say, if the players dont show the passion, how can you expect fans to not only rock up but get passionate about the fuken game theyre there to see!

Aloisi must suck at giving team talks, he probably uses generic one liners, ignores personality traits in the dressing room and stares at the mirror half the time fixing his little faggy pullover. You watch a player like gerhardt, puts it all on the line and shouts, and you get inspired and proud. We need more of that. Less incompetence and players being made aware of their faults and promoting competition for spots at the fear of losing your first team privleges.

This is why he should be playing centre midfield allowing Vrankovic who can play out from the back to play next to Simon who can't. JA seems to be waiting for Grella to come in and start talking when the man originally signed to play defensive mid-field is doing well at the back where we have options, instead of playing where he is supposed to and which is a position we are struggling in.

The sooner JA mixes things up the better.

From the outside, it's hard to say. But my feeling is that our problems aren't so much with the players on the park. It's the overall tactics.

Now Central Coast make it tough to play through the midfield, and I think it's because of the way they drop back and get plenty of numbers in the middle. But still, even in other weeks, our efforts at moving the ball from defence to attack are terrible. It's either a long ball forward or an attempt at a quick counter if we win possession from a turnover. Behich's runs down the left seem to be the only time we attack with any creativity or purpose. For me, Marrone doesn't offer as much in an attacking sense on the right, so I kind of agree with those suggesting Walker play full back and Marrone to DM.

I suspect the lack of movement and creativity in the midfield comes from JA wanting to play things very safe, especially away - wanting players to hold position, keep the shape, and hit on the counter. Players perhaps don't offer a lot of movement off the ball when we're in possession because they need to be in the right positions whenever we lose possession. He probably likes Thompson and Hoffman because he feels he can rely on them to know their roles and be disciplined in his structure. (There's a lot of things coaches look at that fans don't usually consider. I doubt it's got much to do with playing his mates.) With Fred, it looks to me like he was more effective last year where it seemed like he basically had a licence to go wherever he wanted and was able to chase his own ball. And then it's hard for the forwards because they don't get any decent service.

As others have said, we're a boring side to watch. We're lacking passion and heart. It seems that the first priority isn't to win, but to not lose. At least when we play away. I don't know, that's just the impression I get.

The dilemma this week is whether we keep doing what we're doing, or make changes before the derby. The two teams that our approach seems to have success against are Victory and Roar. I'd give Bolton a chance to redeem himself rather than expose Redmayne this week. But I wouldn't mind something new in team selection.

Edited by Sash

A lot of good observations about the game. In our home game against them in round 4 where we lost 1:0 to a Bojic free kick, the match reports talks about CCM "suffocating the hosts". Well that was pretty much what happened. We fumbled and stumbled and succumbed to their pressure, never really exercising control of the game. They're a good side because they're expertly drilled and have belief and confidence in what they're doing. The big task for JA, just as it was for JVS, is to instil a belief and never say die attitude in the guys. Playing with passion will always go down well with fans and supporters - and putting in that extra effort you can always pinch a result that you may not have deserved. Looking forward to a Hearty effort this Saturday.

They're a good side because they're expertly drilled and have belief and confidence in what they're doing.

Exactly. And they are successful in putting a negative mindset into whoever they're playing. I'm a bit tired of hearing that such-and-such a side is 'hard to break down" and similar. It's the coach's job to come up with ways of playing against all sorts of oppositions under all sorts of conditions, home or away.

Sending your team out on to the field already conceding that the opposition is tough to beat is the surest way of losing. In fact, if you keep saying how good the other teams are, you will eventually reach the stage where you actually feel satisfied in losing. Because you fulfill your own prophesy. I think that's where the Heart are right now.

We made fundamental mistakes in our approach to CCM. We really had nothing to lose. There was no need to play Garcia, Marrone and Behich; they could have had an extra week's rest. Mitchinson and Little Walker had done a mighty job the previous week, and JA should have shown his belief in them by sending them out again against the Premiers and league leaders. We played right into CCM's hands by sending out a side that gave Arnold absolutely nothing to think about.

It's never easy to drop or 'rest' a first-team player and bring in his understudy. But if you want the understudy to believe in himself, you have to demonstrate your belief in him by giving him a go once in a while. Otherwise the pressure on him to perform when he finally has to step up is likely to be too much for him. That's why Redmayne should have had at least one start this season - the game against Wellington would have been ideal.

Before the season started JA said that there would be a lot of pressure on him, so he might as well go out and try to win the league. It has taken just a handful of games to turn him into a timid coach.

Yes we've got some ordinary players in our squad, and some who I think are past it. But the major problem is mind-sets.

• Like 2

They're a good side because they're expertly drilled and have belief and confidence in what they're doing.

It's never easy to drop or 'rest' a first-team player and bring in his understudy. But if you want the understudy to believe in himself, you have to demonstrate your belief in him by giving him a go once in a while. Otherwise the pressure on him to perform when he finally has to step up is likely to be too much for him. That's why Redmayne should have had at least one start this season - the game against Wellington would have been ideal.

Before the season started JA said that there would be a lot of pressure on him, so he might as well go out and try to win the league. It has taken just a handful of games to turn him into a timid coach.

Yes we've got some ordinary players in our squad, and some who I think are past it. But the major problem is mind-sets.

JA needs encouragement to be aggressive with his team selection and tactics, the more cautious he becomes in each area the worse we become. We can see with the games where he was proactive - MV, Roar and NJ, we played well. Every time he sets up for a draw we lose. Not only lose, but look like incompetent park players

I really did not go in expecting much, a 2-0 loss sounds about what I expected. CCM mariners are top of the league for a reason, because they are such a well drilled side who basically suffocate their opposition, most teams look bad when playing them, it is just they way that they play. With that being said, it was still a very disappointing loss, we did many things wrong, and our approach to facing a team like the Mariners was especially wrong. I wouldn't look too much into it, although a few worrying signs. JA can be far too conservative at times. It is no wonder that when we are aggressive and attack well, we win. We played that way against the Victory and the Roar and got wins, and we scored 3 goals against the Jets, although we let them come back.