Melbourne Football

Geelong

Tokyospliff

Is it just me or does anyone else want an a-league team down in Geelong? There are four teams in new south wales two of these teams coming from regional areas outside of Sydney (Newcastle and Central Coast). So why not give Geelong an A-league franchise. Seeming that Geelong is sport crazy, i am sure they would be able to maintain a good average of attendances. Even better then both Newcastle and central coast.

Also the away trips to geelong would be great plus the rivalry would be intense between the Melbourne sides and a Geelong team. Well anyway just some food for thought would like to get your opinions on this topic.

I think Geelong could have been a great option, but i still think the fact remains, it would hurt Heart and to an extent Victory and struggle due to coming in so late on in the piece.

CCM and Newcastle had the benefit of start off support, people in those area's never got access to Sydney like we have to Heart and Victory.

Geelong is only just big enough in population terms before you consider that those that want to support local soccer/domestic leagues already do

The idea in that Geelong City bid was good in the sense that it could of been marketed well to the people of Geelong. What I mean is that retaining that consistency with the AFL team in terms of blue and white hoops (maybe royal blue like QPR, because Vucktree have navy and white) and forming some kind of partnership with the Cats would have been good. A mate of mine (Cats supporter) said he would have jumped onto a Geelong team if that bid was successful because of the similarities with the Cats. It also doesn't help that it got supported by well known guys like Bill Brownless (whether you like him or not). I do not think it will happen, it may be a bit late for it, but you never know. Although with all that being said, Canberra should be the next place to get an A-League team.

I'd like to see Tassie > Geelong > canberra > wollongong > Gold coast > Nth qld

Good point with Geelong already having some heart and victory following. Maybe instead playing heart games down in morwell, play them down in werribee or geelong? Seems like a more logical move. Didn't even know that morewell existed up until heart played down there.

Edited by Tokyospliff

I'd like to see Tassie > Geelong > canberra > wollongong > Gold coast > Nth qld

Good point with Geelong already having some heart and victory following. Maybe instead playing heart games down in morwell, play them down in werribee or geelong? Seems like a more logical move. Didn't even know that morewell existed up until heart played down there.

I would like to see this tbh, i dont know how big a ground werribee has but would think we could get a few down at Skilled, and if i recall the profit margin at the ground is quiet strong? atleast for the cats.

North Ballarats VFL ground can hold 10K so you would think Werribee would have something of a similar ilk? Ballarat and bendigo could serve as a good market for Heart amoungst Geelong

Forget about Tasmania. Half-a-million people in the entire island. Crowds for local games of any code are pathetically small and an A-League club would not survive there. I lived and worked there for nearly 15 years.

IMO the obvious choices for expansion are Canberra and Wollongong. Having been snubbed several times, whether Canberra is still viable is a big question mark. Also I'm not sure the demographics there are oriented towards football. By contrast, Wollongong has a football heritage.

Also, remember that in Europe they actually have efficient public transport systems that deliver people where they want to go when they want to be there. We can't organize efficient transport here in Melbourne, let alone getting people to away games anywhere, or even getting country people to and from AAMI Park in one day. While PT isn't the factor that will make or break an A-League club, a reliable service would certainly help. For each of the past two seasons my line has been out of action for three home games, either due to flooding or Sunday maintenance. Luckily I have an alternative. Many people don't.

• Like 2

IMO the obvious choices for expansion are Canberra and Wollongong. Having been snubbed several times, whether Canberra is still viable is a big question mark. Also I'm not sure the demographics there are oriented towards football. By contrast, Wollongong has a football heritage.

No strong Football heritage my ass - Josip Simunic, Carl Valeri, etc etc

Migrant Europeans are about are the strongest football demographic in Australia, and Canberra has plenty of them.

I think any option where a Rectangle ground that is more than a Regional Footy Oval will always take precedence over other locations, the FFA does not have the money to build infrastructure.

At the same time playing at prehistoric grounds just spits in face of exactly what they are trying to achieve with the A League with it being a professional league - Despite the market clearly not their yet to support a Professional League.

Morwell last year was a massive failure for all concerned and that was only one game, and TBH at a pretty good stadium for Regional Victoria.

I think any option where a Rectangle ground that is more than a Regional Footy Oval will always take precedence over other locations, the FFA does not have the money to build infrastructure.

At the same time playing at prehistoric grounds just spits in face of exactly what they are trying to achieve with the A League with it being a professional league - Despite the market clearly not their yet to support a Professional League.

Morwell last year was a massive failure for all concerned and that was only one game, and TBH at a pretty good stadium for Regional Victoria.

If any government, FFA or key stakeholder was serious then a decent stadium could be built for a new expansion club imo. St Mirrens in Scotland for example built a new stadium in 2009 for about $15M with a 8K capacity, more than our average crowds atm basically. It is basic but does the job and being basic can be expanded upon when the need arises pretty easily.

It is not fashionable but suits the rectangular game perfectly, and is in relative terms cheap as chips.

http://www.footballg...d/st_mirren.htm

this would suit any new expansion market as they will be smaller than the current ones, and could be quite large 10-15K for about 30M dollars, which could be made back over a short lease ect. It would have suited NQF and GC imo, Tassie.

Edited by Mentor

If any government, FFA or key stakeholder was serious then a decent stadium could be built for a new expansion club imo. St Mirrens in Scotland for example built a new stadium in 2009 for about $15M with a 8K capacity, more than our average crowds atm basically. It is basic but does the job and being basic can be expanded upon when the need arises pretty easily.

It is not fashionable but suits the rectangular game perfectly, and is in relative terms cheap as chips.

this would suit any new expansion market as they will be smaller than the current ones, and could be quite large 10-15K for about 30M dollars, which could be made back over a short lease ect. It would have suited NQF and GC imo, Tassie.

TBH $15m is still much of a risk in this country to build such a stadium for an expansion market:

That’s why every time Soccer, or RL has expanded into a new market they almost always setup in an est. Stadium instead.

TBH $15m is still much of a risk in this country to build such a stadium for an expansion market:

That’s why every time Soccer, or RL has expanded into a new market they almost always setup in an est. Stadium instead.

Not always, Gold Coast Titans for example. But it failed spectacuarly imo.

Edited by Che

Not always, Gold Coast Titans for example. But it failed spectacuarly imo.

Exactly - That stadium in GC is now really a white Elephant.

To be brutally honest if only MH used AMMI Park, then that place would be another White Elephant.

In fact the reason CCM were given a license was to make use of what was another stadium that was a complete White Elephant at the time after its failure of as a RL arena.

Australia is littered with badly thought out Stadia from the past 20 years:

The Legends Stand @ Visy Park.

The Major Renovation of Subi Oval completed around 1999 – Also soon to be redundant.

The Major Renovation of Football Park SA – Also soon to be redundant.

• Like 1

That $15mil stadium would cost $75mil in Australia.

That $15mil stadium would cost $75mil in Australia.

Yeah it would cost more than 15M but not 75 imo, but still even 50 million if expansion could get serious? 10M Federal gov, 10M state, 10M FFA, is 30 for a start, maybe a local council ect could chip in if they will benefit form the infrastructure?