Melbourne Football

Melbourne FC vs Perth Glory @ The Imperial

Braveheart

We want more non-flogs turning up, not people who decided they are supporting Melbourne Heart because Victory didnt make the finals or because a team from Melbourne is playing in finals so they thought they would jump on the bandwagon a bit before going back to following AFL next week.

Everybody starts somewhere. There a lot of people in the Terrance who would now fall into the 'non-flog' catergory who were previously the opposite. If somebody's interest in the game/club is sparked by attending a finals match/pub away match and they previously hadn't have made a match and they like what they see or garner a new found appreciation for the game and we grow the supporter base from it, what's the harm?

Flogs buys memberships too.

• Like 4

Everybody starts somewhere. There a lot of people in the Terrance who would now fall into the 'non-flog' catergory who were previously the opposite. If somebody's interest in the game/club is sparked by attending a finals match/pub away match and they previously hadn't have made a match and they like what they see or garner a new found appreciation for the game and we grow the supporter base from it, what's the harm?

Flogs buys memberships too.

I agree, and have said similar to others, but this applies to people that come down to a game, not people that came to the pub for a one off finals match we lost.

And the harm was there were taking up space, expressing their shit and incorrect opinions that I couldn't help but overhear, etc.

Edited by Tesla

We want more non-flogs turning up, not people who decided they are supporting Melbourne Heart because Victory didnt make the finals or because a team from Melbourne is playing in finals so they thought they would jump on the bandwagon a bit before going back to following AFL next week.

Ive only been following the Heart closely this year, own their away strip and been to about 6 games mostly by myself. Am I a flog because I turn up to the Impy and you don't recognise me? Are the mates I bring down with me who don't care a lot about the game and I'm trying to get them involved also flogs? I think the current hardcore supporters need to be careful of what type of attitude they show to the slightly less dedicated.

Edited by hedaik1
  • Like 1

All you lads need to get off your high horses. The fact that the pub was full of people intently watching the game speaks for itself. You don't build a supporter culture overnight, and you certainly don't build it by being elitist.

Yes it would've been nice to see those numbers throughout the season, but at least people are getting involved now.

• Like 3

All you lads need to get off your high horses. The fact that the pub was full of people intently watching the game speaks for itself. You don't build a supporter culture overnight, and you certainly don't build it by being elitist.

Yes it would've been nice to see those numbers throughout the season, but at least people are getting involved now.

Ando: You do realise that this reads likes a response letter from a MP’s PR team. :)

• Like 1

Ando: You do realise that this reads likes a response letter from a MP’s PR team. :)

Shit response. Lift ya game mate.

Fine if this is not a suitable answer, then I will elaborate:

When I was 14-18 living in Perth every year I saw flocks of non football followers only suddenly show an interest in the Glory once they made the NSL finals and played games at the WACA or Subiaco.

The games were always sold out and I only ever got a ticket for one fairly meaningless tie.

Every year the argument that such people would become stronger fans were made and at the start of the next season it never happened.

In fact by the end of the NSL, Glory finals became basically a seasonal interest for people just like how people in Melbourne get interested in horses for two months a year in Spring.

The point of my example is that in my experience I don’t think domestic finals interest in Soccer in Australia has ever really transferred that well into proper genuine interest down the track.

Edited by cadete

AFL!? Now that you mentioned that, I seriously don't know how I will put up with that bogan of a sport. I think I will be forced to buy fox so I can watch some more football.

AFL!? Now that you mentioned that, I seriously don't know how I will put up with that bogan of a sport. I think I will be forced to buy fox so I can watch some more football.

Get down to some state league games instead with that money.

Cannot beleive the amount of hate on this board about how many people were there last night? How can you judge how many people show up to the imperial to determine who a real supporter is? If our supporter base is judged by the people who show up to the imperial for away games than we only have 20 real supporters in the entire 7500 member base. Not like you can watch the game at other clubs or bars.........

Was quite happy with the turnout, it would be nice to get that many people at the imperial every game but with it being finals you are always going to more people due to the fact its finals. People just need to get off there high horses jeez

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 2

Cannot beleive the amount of hate on this board about how many people were there last night? ... Was quite happy with the turnout, it would be nice to get that many people at the imperial every game but with it being finals you are always going to more people due to the fact its finals. People just need to get off there high horses jeez

Have to say I agree. Seems to me some folks around here want Heart to be an exclusive club. You can't tell someone they're not a real supporter if they love the club, bleed when we lose and exalt in a win.

People have different ways of expressing their support. Maybe they don't come to the Imp every game because of the welcoming atmosphere some of you have exhibited in this thread...

Maybe they don't come to the Imp every game because of the welcoming atmosphere some of you have exhibited in this thread...

I agree with the majority of what you have said thus far and your centiments are reasonably close to mine but this is just Tripe tbh. You can't blame others for people's lack of commitment to the away game cause solely on the banter of regular the lads. I defy anybody to come to a midweek match against Central Coast at the pub, support the club and engage with fellow supporters and feel unwelcome. It's a two way street and getting involved in the supporter culutre is also very much the responsibility of those who are wishing to become part of it.

• Like 1

I agree with the majority of what you have said thus far and your centiments are reasonably close to mine but this is just Tripe tbh. You can't blame others for people's lack of commitment to the away game cause solely on the banter of regular the lads. I defy anybody to come to a midweek match against Central Coast at the pub, support the club and engage with fellow supporters and feel unwelcome. It's a two way street and getting involved in the supporter culutre is also very much the responsibility of those who are wishing to become part of it.

It is very much a two-way street, but if you have someone making the effort to come down for the first time (as someone said before, everyone has to start somewhere) and all they're getting is suspicious glances from the regulars, it's not exactly going to encourage them to come back. Not saying everyone does it, but it can be difficult to break into a new group. Anyway, just my opinion. :)

Personally, I loved the atmosphere at the Imp last night. Made me feel proud that that many people care about our club. We should do chants every week, make it feel like a home game as much as possible.

Can't wait for next season. :)

Maybe they don't come to the Imp every game because of the welcoming atmosphere some of you have exhibited in this thread...

The Internet, serious business. If people put in the little bit of effort it takes to come down to the pub for a pre-game or an away game and meet people IRL they will see we are more than welcoming. Excuse me if I am being a bit arrogant, but I am more than happy with my efforts at talking to new people and giving everyone a chance rather than sitting in the main established group of lads at the pub. There are a lot of people here who I have met, welcomed, given them every opportunity to become as involved in the terrace as they want. Some take it, others dont. Thats their decision but I do know I have always welcomed new people and given them a chance.

People shouldn't judge others off of an internet forum.

Guys this isn't a pissing contest. We all support our team in our own way. I worked hard to afford to fly my family all the way to NIB for the game but that doesn't make me a greater fan, or anyone else less passionate because they support the club in their own way and stayed in Melbourne to watch the game in a pub. This is an inclusive club, let's welcome all supporters who each do what they can.

• Like 3

People shouldn't judge others off of an internet forum.

Which is why I'm not, but talking from my personal observations at the Imp and in Yarraside.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Anyway I've made some awesome friends at both venues so that's the last I'll say on the subject.

Cannot beleive the amount of hate on this board about how many people were there last night? How can you judge how many people show up to the imperial to determine who a real supporter is? If our supporter base is judged by the people who show up to the imperial for away games than we only have 20 real supporters in the entire 7500 member base. Not like you can watch the game at other clubs or bars.........

Was quite happy with the turnout, it would be nice to get that many people at the imperial every game but with it being finals you are always going to more people due to the fact its finals. People just need to get off there high horses jeez

Agree with this. Everyone was a "flog" at some stage. Even the people who deem themselves all knowledgeble etc ( esp that emu prick biggest plastic flog ever ;) )

If only 3 people who turned up to the imp for the first time return again for the regular season then we have gained something

Everyone was a "flog" at some stage.

*points to self*

Thought I have retained some of it (in before someone says most of it)

Can't wait to see this grow to the point where we can have a turn out like that regularly! Will be so proud on that day!

Edited by Bozza

*points to self*

Thought I have retained some of it (in before someone says most of it)

How much $$$ do we have to donate to the terrace before you burn that fucking dreaded (pun intended) red and white dreadlock wig.

• Like 1