Reid Signs On Short-Term Deal*

Melbourne Heart FC is pleased to confirm the signing of Paul Reid on a

short-term contract.

An accomplished central midfielder with two Socceroo caps, the 32-year-old

will be available for selection from next week, providing the Red and White

with added depth as the Hyundai A-League approaches its Finals Series

Having made over 250 first team appearances across a career spanning a

decade, Reid’s inclusion will inject a dose of experience into Heart’s

youth-filled squad, while helping cover the absence of captain Fred.

Head coach John van ‘t Schip believes Reid will offer crucial cover in

Heart’s quest for a debut finals appearance.

“Everyone is aware of Paul’s quality and professionalism, and he has proven

himself to be a strong performer at Hyundai A-League level,” he said.

“Given we are likely to lose three players to Olyroo duty throughout

February, Paul will provide us with flexibility and cover across the middle

of the park during this important time of the season.”

*Profile*

*Name:* Paul Reid

*D.O.B:* 6/7/1979

*Born:* Sydney

*Former Clubs:* Wollongong Wolves, Bradford City (England), Brighton and

Hove Albion (England), Adelaide United

*Representative Honours:* Socceroos (2 apps)

In before Hendo: Gosford scum, etc.

JVS's comments are interesting, It makes me feel more and more confident he will sign on. (Y)

He said: “Andrew is a ‘keeper with a very promising future ahead of him. He is physically strong, agile and technically very good on the ball, making him well suited to our style of football.

“With the right approach to his training and development, Andrew has the potential to develop into an elite goalkeeper and future international.

“We are building a youthful squad for the now and for the long term, and I think Andrew fits into the Club’s philosophy very nicely.

Edited by Buddy Farah
  • Like 2

Good to see Redmayne signing, must probably mean that Bolton is going to retire, but I remember him at CCM and he seemed to be a steady and solid keeper.

Bolton is making those sort of noises letting things slip here n there about how hard it is for him with recovery etc etc

redmayne is a great signing, he'll be good for us next season.

agree with @Buddy Farah in regards to the comments from JVS. I've been reading some of his comments recently and they're all talking about "next season" and the "future" with this club. I'm sure after this season many of the fans and people within the club will have a feeling that this team is very close to challenging for the title. The younger players are improving with every game, and with the majority of the players signed up for next season, if we can manage to add some more quality to the team, then i see no reason why we can't challenge to win the double. If JVS does realise this then i wouldn't be surprised if he signs on for at least another year.

Is it true that they have actually got that striker Paul Pizzica to sign. If so magical, I saw him playing in Manchester and it was a tragedy that the club got into such a mess financially.Quality, pace and mate I saw the campaign he was in last year in the sports store.What an asset to the club and the league. Finally a player that will make money for the league.Good one JVS

Birighitti's grand dad is a regular at our friday night titty shows at my work. Asked him about our interest in signing him and said Heart pulled out of the deal at the last minute. He does seem to be an erratic old drunk though in all fairness apparently Leverkeussen and Bayern were also in for him. rof

I asked Bolton after the game tonight if he is going to play next season, he said he didn't know but I got the feeling that the real answer was no. Shame really, great keeper, great bloke, and always happy to have a chat to the fans. Will definitely be missed if he isn't around next season.

• Like 1

so apparently the club has told Terra he is not required for next season?

can anyone confirm that next season the clubs will be allowed 4 spots for players on visa? (3 international + 1 player from Asian region)

Honestly he hasnt done enough to deserve a visa spot for next season, hasnt been consistant enough plus hasnt played enough games.

I asked Bolton after the game tonight if he is going to play next season, he said he didn't know but I got the feeling that the real answer was no. Shame really, great keeper, great bloke, and always happy to have a chat to the fans. Will definitely be missed if he isn't around next season.

Would be a shame. I had a chat to Bolton late last year, always has time and comes across as a genuine good guy.

Honestly he hasnt done enough to deserve a visa spot for next season, hasnt been consistant enough plus hasnt played enough games.

Terra deserves a spot IMHO. Full of flair and always takes players on. I'd be shattered if he didn't stay especially when guys like Worm and Maicon are worse.

• Like 2

May I ask where you get this information/rumour from?

was looking for someone to confirm it. Someone told me that Mark Rudan said in the post match show the club told terra he won't be offered another contract?? I forgot to record the post match last night so if anyone saw, did he say that?

Edited by heart_fan10

was looking for someone to confirm it. Someone told me that Mark Rudan said in the post match show the club told terra he won't be offered another contract?? I forgot to record the post match last night so if anyone saw, did he say that?

Ah, that makes more sense. TBH I've always thought it was going to be 50:50 as to whether he would be retained. Tends to go missing for periods during a match, takes a number of touches to bring the ball under control, seems to always want to tee the ball up for a volley...and so on and so forth. Pity, because from all reports he's a great bloke, fun with kids etc. Agree his last two have been his best for the club. Agree, too, that we can do better for an overseas player.

IMO if JvS stays on we will tend to let older players go and replace them with younger ones, retaining a small number of 'wise heads' in key positions to give the side more grit.

If there is room in the salary cap, you can find a much better international than Terra. With Maycon probably going to, we'll have Worm, Germano, Fred with room for another.

there's no doubt the club can find a better international than terra. He's a dangerous player when he's playing well but far too inconsistent and injury prone.

The thing I think we'll miss the most about Terra is the fact that he is arguably the "face" of melbourne heart. What i mean is that when people mention "melbourne heart" many people think of a player like Terra. The type of player who has people on the edge of their seats when he has the ball, plays with flare, always has new tricks up his sleeve, and is the best 'bicycle kicker' in this league. People like to see that, it creates an interest and a following and is good entertainment. IMO he's played a very important role in the clubs short history.

I realised the club trying to do a similar thing with David Williams at the start of this season, and using him to promote the club in the first derby of the year and having him as a guest on fox sports news, but obviously it hasn't gone as planned. The real issue with Terra is that he takes up a Visa spot, otherwise if he was an australian citizen then i would have re-signed him straight away

Edited by heart_fan10

Based off FIFA12 (nowhere near the most ideal research tool), the following players are out of contract at the end of the season:

• Bolton
  • Colosimo
  • Terra
  • Worm
  • Marrone
  • Srhoj
  • Roganovic
  • Taseski
  • Ibrahim
  • Maycon
  • Sarkies

Who would you want us to offer contracts to and who should be left off the list for next season?

Anyone but the token Brazillian Maycon!!

We need to be chasing a striker in my opinion......someone around the age of 26 or 27 who has a bit of experience and can be relied upon to knock in the chances we create on fairly regular basis - 10 or more a season needs to be the minimum. With so many young players, we definitely need a couple with experience and older, wiser heads. Same in defence......someone like Madaschi. He certainly made the defence more solid and less likely to concede soft goals.

Edited by willo

Anyone but the token Brazillian Maycon!!

Maycon played, well, sort of, for the youth team against Brisbane today. How can I put it...no, I don't think I can put it. Not and remain printable, anyway. He was completely out of touch. He missed two sitters, which would have brought us back to 1-1 and 2-2 respectively, hurt himself in the latter attempt, and was taken off by John Aloisi. Aloisi's words are unprintable too. I last saw Maycon limping forlornly from the arena with an icebag on his knee.

Not recommended for a contract extension.