Melbourne Football

City vs Johor Southern Tigers, Jan 9

Murfy1

Malaysian 1st division side Johor Southern Tigers (also known as Johor Darul Ta'zim FC), is currently touring Australia and will play matches against a number of teams, and have said via their Twitter account that they will play a match against Melbourne City (assuming Google Translate is accurate): https://twitter.com/JohorTigers/status/551221015938748418

This team is going to play Asian Champions League qualifiers in early February, so they are playing multiple friendlies in the lead up. 

10898180_757027621052854_618618766881928

https://ms-my.facebook.com/JOHORHS/photos/pb.570995226322762.-2207520000.1420210101./757027621052854/?type=1

Not 100% sure on the details, but it looks like the match will take place on January 9.

Good to see that Melbourne City intends to play multiple friendlies over the Asian Cup break, to keep the momentum going.

Hmm yeah going off the article written by Matt Windley of the Herald Sun, it looks like the team will fly out to the UAE on January 8.

However the match details are far from clear, so this match might be played earlier than Jan 9.

Also it could be the case that there's a few different flights out to the UAE training camp, as was the case with the Manchester training camp, with some of the senior team flying out later than others.

It wouldn't surprise me if the match included some senior team players, some NYL players and possibly some triailsts. 

Just stumbled across this article as well:

Johor DT head coach Bojan Hodak said, all players are in the active state even looked a little bit tired after a long journey, but they still give a commitment when training.

He said, schedule games against clubs that Australia is set against the club Melbourne City FC who play in the Australian League (A-League) and the team qualified to play in the FA Cup semi-final rivals Australia, Bentleigh Greens FC.

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ms&u=http://www.hmetro.com.my/node/21214&prev=search

So I'm not sure what's going on, the details are pretty unclear ATM. I'd be fine though if this thread was moved to the NYL section.

Hopefully the senior team end up playing more than 2 friendlies over the 4 week Asian Cup break.

Edited by Murfy1

I'm finding this rather odd.

They say they're playing Palestine and Uzbekistan in Sydney...but AFAIK Palestine are camped in Brisbane and the Uzbeks in Melbourne.

For the matches in Melbourne...Bentleigh's season has finished, and we are due to fly out on 9th January.

Pablo Aimar still playing for them?

Pablo Aimar did play for them, but he was released in April 2014 because Johor thought he was too injured too often and wasn't playing enough minutes.

This team won Malaysia's top league last season (the 2014 season), so they'd be an interesting challenge for a Melbourne City side. 

The first of these matches (against Palestine) has been played.

http://www.fourthofficial.com/football/johor-dt-dismantled-by-palestine-in-pre-season-friendly/

Note that it took place behind closed doors.

Anyone thinking of attending the match vs. City might be advised to ring HQ (if it's open?) and find out the details.

Interesting. Wasn't sure what City's plans were during January (aside from the UAE trip) so it's good to hear a bit more, even if the whole thing is a bit vague with the dates.

As it happens, I read an article earlier today stating that Johor Football Association are looking to arrange a deal with Manchester City for cooperation on youth development. Considering that the JFA owns Johor Southern Tigers, the timing of the deal seems a little too perfect to not be related. There's always a chance that this deal could involve prime Malaysian youngsters getting their chances at being blooded in the A-League? Just speculation, and these deals usually end up being half as significant as you hope they might be, but it's an interesting thought.

Also, I'd just like to add that this post took twice as long to write as it should've done as I got mesmerised by King Malta's gif of Melling elbowing Broxham in the face and just sat there watching it for several minutes. It really is almost hypnotic...

• Like 3