Melbourne Football

How should Heart play?

Vlad

How should Heart play in your opinion? A possession game like Barcelona? Fast paced counter attacking football like Borrusia Dortmund?

Feel free to post formations/videos or anything :P Just wondering what you guys think we should play like and hopefully get some discussion going :)

I dont even think JA know's how?

Seems that he spent all pre season planning on how to beat the Fucktory, yet forgot that there are another 8 teams to prep for. I dont buy the "it'll take time" philosophy either. Popovic didnt even have a squad 5 months ago, yet his team show a solid structure & style of play. I fear that JA is out of his depth.

I miss JVS.

Seems that he spent all pre season planning on how to beat the Fucktory, yet forgot that there are another 8 teams to prep for. I dont buy the "it'll take time" philosophy either. Popovic didnt even have a squad 5 months ago, yet his team show a solid structure & style of play. I fear that JA is out of his depth.

I miss JVS.

It begins...

The longing for an overpaid coach that achieved nothing.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

I dont care how they play. Can play the shittest British style long ball crap football, as long as we get some results.

Been saying this since day dot, I dont care about the method I just care about the "Sexy Results".

Steve Waugh > Mark Waugh.

Edited by cadete

With conviction, accountability, fierceness, and a killer instinct.

The only time you should respect your opposition is after the game and when you shake hands.

For the 100 of so mins, its a war that you are paid to win. It's not good enough to lose, especially at home!

So, the next time you play against them, they are already doubting themselves.

When you step onto the pitch, you are representing a club, that is so much bigger than training and game day. Your ideals that are embedded into you as a little kid, growing up and training teach you play hard, be first to the ball and always play for your team-mates. If you don't believe in the club or love the club then you shouldn't be playing for it. You spend a big chunk of your life there and it becomes a family.

The fans make the club and fan favourites are the relentless types! The one's that give 100% day in, day out. The one's that may lose in one round... but god help the opposition the next week because the taste of defeat is bitter!

lol, but wtf would i know.

I miss JVS.

It begins...

The longing for an overpaid coach that achieved nothing.

KY

Ok..

What has he achieved as coach?

What did he achieve as a coach of MH?

Edited by cadete

Slavish adherence to one style, formula or philosophy is part of the problem, isn't it? Towards the end of the CCM game we were still playing the ball backwards and across in the back four when we were 0-1 down. If you're 4-0 up, perhaps, but not when you're 0-1 down.

In contrast, CCM might have ground out a result against us, but the next week they sensed an opportunity and put seven past Sydney. That's a team whose players and coaching staff have the capacity to adjust to suit the circumstances. And CCM are probably the least-wealthy club in the competition, so we can't use 'money' as an excuse.

ATM we are playing some of the most insipid, pedestrian, predictable, one-dimensional and boring football that I have seen from a professional football club.

Clearly a series of poor decisions within the club has not helped, Some can be fixed, such as learning how to take a free-kick or defending a corner, actually playing people in position, and so on, but others such as recruiting are going to take a while to fix.

What is required immediately now is passion.

• Like 2

Obviously I can understand why you say this...

But I think Paddy does some good things, his clearances are usually a lot more effective than Boltons or our other defenders attempts.

He really deserves to be played in Position IMO.

The bad far outweighs the good I'm afraid. Doubt he would be much more effective if pushed up in the midfield as it would mean more time around the ball which would obviously result in him spending that time on the floor like a spastic. Never seen someone over commit as badly as he does.

The man is not a centre halves asshole, possibly the worst defender I have seen play Football in Australia alongside my good mate Nikolai Topor-Stanley.

His defending for the first goal against WSW was beyond woeful. Why the fuck did he even slide? Terrible decision making, lacks concentration and is pretty average on the ball (Considering most times he has it, he's in an acre of space yet hoofs it long.)

Ok, What did he achieve as a coach of MH?

Seriously, you've got NFI. Please revert to my previous post.

:droy:

Lol, sounds like u would be a good wingman you really have low standards mate... :oops: :oops: :oops:

He was the most expensive coach in the league and he returned two Bottom Half finishes for the club in his two years in Melbourne:

Strong Achievement. :up:

Slavish adherence to one style, formula or philosophy is part of the problem, isn't it? Towards the end of the CCM game we were still playing the ball backwards and across in the back four when we were 0-1 down. If you're 4-0 up, perhaps, but not when you're 0-1 down.

In contrast, CCM might have ground out a result against us, but the next week they sensed an opportunity and put seven past Sydney. That's a team whose players and coaching staff have the capacity to adjust to suit the circumstances. And CCM are probably the least-wealthy club in the competition, so we can't use 'money' as an excuse.

ATM we are playing some of the most insipid, pedestrian, predictable, one-dimensional and boring football that I have seen from a professional football club.

Clearly a series of poor decisions within the club has not helped, Some can be fixed, such as learning how to take a free-kick or defending a corner, actually playing people in position, and so on, but others such as recruiting are going to take a while to fix.

What is required immediately now is passion.

Absolutely, this is what is required. However, JA & Foxey do not have the ability to execute this.

:droy:

Lol, sounds like u would be a good wingman you really have low standards mate... :oops: :oops: :oops:

He was the most expensive coach in the league and he returned two Bottom Half finishes for the club in his two years in Melbourne:

Strong Achievement. :up:

What his salary was is irrelevant when it comes to what his purpose was when hired by the club. He was purely hired to set the club up with a style & set up a development program. It was a long term appointment with the hope of developing into a powerful club. Nobody ever expected him to win championships straight up with a squad predominantly made up of kids & last minute buys by Didulica.

Did you expect him to win the league in his first 2 years?

Did you expect him to overload on ageing players and just get short term results to appease the impatient fans with NFI about what it takes to establish a club & culture?

Did you expect him to ignore the importance of developing youth?

Did you expect him to just take the cash & establish a "dont give a fuck, hoof it longball" style?

JVS was one of the best match day coaches to ever work in the HAL. Some of the football we played under JVS is still better than most of what ive seen in the HAL.

Whether you disagree with me or not, i really couldnt give a fuck. Just let it be known that anyone who cannot see what JVS did for our club is a moron of monumental proportions.

• Like 2

While I don't yearn for a return to jvs. At least under him we could see a clear system of play at hand. Can be plenty of criticism of that system but at least you could see what was being attempted.

Under ja I can't see any kind of system at play. Players don't look they know where their team mates are at any given moment. Just 11 guys aimlessly wondering around trying to create something in their own.

Us and Sydney are the only two teams with out any kind of clear philosphy atm. No surprise we are the two looking most likely for bottom after the first few rounds. I sometimes wonder if JA even believes in the system or whether it's just because he was only going to get the job if he followed on from the jvs 'legacy'.

What his salary was is irrelevant when it comes to what his purpose was when hired by the club. He was purely hired to set the club up with a style & set up a development program. It was a long term appointment with the hope of developing into a powerful club. Nobody ever expected him to win championships straight up with a squad predominantly made up of kids & last minute buys by Didulica.

Did you expect him to win the league in his first 2 years?

Did you expect him to overload on ageing players and just get short term results to appease the impatient fans with NFI about what it takes to establish a club & culture?

Did you expect him to ignore the importance of developing youth?

Did you expect him to just take the cash & establish a "dont give a fuck, hoof it longball" style?

JVS was one of the best match day coaches to ever work in the HAL. Some of the football we played under JVS is still better than most of what ive seen in the HAL.

Whether you disagree with me or not, i really couldnt give a fuck. Just let it be known that anyone who cannot see what JVS did for our club is a moron of monumental proportions.

Seriously u have to the most idealistic person to have ever graced this forum, you probably also think that JVS's commitment to attractive football could probably also find a solution for world peace if given a chance. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I reckon you go back to posting underneath the Lefty Articles on crikey.com.au :droy:

Edited by cadete

Under ja I can't see any kind of system at play. Players don't look they know where their team mates are at any given moment. Just 11 guys aimlessly wondering around trying to create something in their own.

I don't want to get back to the Jv$ stuff - he's gone. We need to deal with the present and the future. I agree with your statement above, but have to say at the same time I'm bitterly disappointed that the senior players don't appear to be taking up some responsibility for themselves. Hell, as a professional, in any field, you can't just wait for the boss to tell you what to do.

In the A-League salary cap system there's also a minimum combined salary that must be paid to the squad, so I don't buy the 'money' argument at all.

Senior players such as Bolton, Colosimo, Garcia, Thompson, Fred, DMAc, have to step up. ATM Garcia looks to be the only one who's really taking some personal responsibility. Such things as defending corners, taking free-kicks and a whole, whole lot more, are the players' responsibility, and they shouldn't need instructions from the sidelines. Jeez, I admit I played the game at a fairly low level, but the Club Committee selected the team and we had no coach at all.

Edited by jw1739

I don't want to get back to the Jv$ stuff - he's gone. We need to deal with the present and the future. I agree with your statement above, but have to say at the same time I'm bitterly disappointed that the senior players don't appear to be taking up some responsibility for themselves. Hell, as a professional, in any field, you can't just wait for the boss to tell you what to do.

In the A-League salary cap system there's also a minimum combined salary that must be paid to the squad, so I don't buy the 'money' argument at all.

Senior players such as Bolton, Colosimo, Garcia, Thompson, Fred, DMAc, have to step up. ATM Garcia looks to be the only one whose really taking some personal responsibility. Such things as defending corners, taking free-kicks and a whole, whole lot more, are the players' responsibility, and they shouldn't need instructions from the sidelines. Jeez, I admit I played the game at a fairly low level, but the Club Committee selected the team and we had no coach at all.

Agreed - Why bother talking about JVS.

At the end of the day the guy is a professional coach and got offered a lot more money to coach a much bigger club, he made a decison to enhance his career which is fair enough.

Win first- then worry about making it look good

Lets start of by beating the Roar 1-0 by an Own Goal.

Then by beating Adel 1-0 by converting a very Dodgey Penalty

Then just maybe against Newy we can aim to win by scoring a single goal in general play.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Although it is early in the season, Pandev raised a good point re match day managerial nous. JvS was pretty handy in that regard, Aloisi has yet to show us even a Plan B.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to reading Counterpunch.org and making antifa posters. ;)

My concern isn't with jvs, was just a reference to wanting a manager who is employing a clear game plan. Jvs' was flawed for this league i agree too but wasnt arguing the merit of different systems. Graham Arnold, GVE, AP and most other managers in this league all set out in a certain way and build their teams around that system. Gives the team the best chance of executing a game plan in which may lead to a posiive result. We just seem to be left with a manager attempting to employ a system left over from the previous manager. I want to see JA stamp his own mark on the club not just be a slave to someone else's 'legacy'. All that legacy is is leaving us a manager incapable of employing a game plan that he may not even believe in.

Not asking for ja to yell instructions on sideline. Its more what is seemingly not happening between games. Mid week is your chance to develop the system and drill into the team the clear game plan as to how the team is going to go about their work on the weekend.This doesn't seem to be occurring judging by the performances of late. Once the game starts its on the players the manager can only really change things with subs and half time adjustments.

It could just be that our playing staff isn't up to scratch but almost every player in the squad has shown they are capable in the past so I tend to look at other areas.

We need to give JA time I agree now that we've made the decision. My issue is we have gambled the clubs future on an unknown quantity and at such a critical point in our history idk how wise that is. Especially when we hired a just as inexperienced assistant.

There were three favourites for the position when JVS announced he was moving on last season. We ended up choosing the least experienced option and then he chose the least experienced Assistant in the A-League because they are good mates.

Enough said!

I was a bit worried pre-season when JA made a comment along the lines of the best teams in the world have the best players when asked on his coaching. This lead me to believe that he thought coaching wasn't such a big deal. Now he has Garcia and now seems to be relying on Grella.

I hope he doesn't think these guys don't need direction. Just because you are a popular ex-international doesn't mean the players and results will follow.

There were three favourites for the position when JVS announced he was moving on last season. We ended up choosing the least experienced option and then he chose the least experienced Assistant in the A-League because they are good mates.

Enough said!

Not being familiar with the background, but someone here said jvs was highest paid coach when he was in charge? I wouldnt be surprised if JA is one of the lowest paid due to his experience level, and hence the club have looked to cut costs and go with aloisi. Its a shocking decision regardless, aloisi is not in control of the team, it is like a car without a driver at the moment unfortunately.

I fear this season will be a big failure, and toomlittle to late to make the right changes. But i hope to be wrong, and if not then i hoe the cluubs next big decision has alot more thought put into it.

Edited by United

Well, the appointment of Aloisi - and he's on a three-year contract - was the syndicate's decision. They agonised over it for over three months, and if you think back every time it looked as though someone else would get the gig a further delay in the appointment occurred. Whether or not the syndicate made the other appointments I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they did not have to approve the appointments of Foxe and Palatsides before they were made.

So the syndicate is going to have to live with these decisions, or wield the axe.

However, since JA was not appointed until late May I don't think we can blame him for everything. JD is involved in player recruiting, and some decisions there look questionable.