Melbourne Football

SBS close to A-League FTA deal

LR9

SBS is close to an audacious deal to bring the A-League to free-to-air television by showing a game every week from next season.

The Daily Telegraph understands that Football Federation Australia is close to tying up the long-awaited new broadcast deal to replace the existing pay-TV-only contract which expires next year and SBS are favourites to supply the coveted free-to-air exposure for the Australian domestic league.

The proposed deal would see Fox Sports continue to show four of five games every week, with the fifth and possibly a highlights show on the government-funded network.

With talks between Football Federation Australia and various networks having intensified in recent weeks, it's believed SBS is considering withdrawing from the bidding for the UEFA Champions League to free up money for an A-League contract, if its talks with FFA are successful.

SBS currently share rights for the Champions League with ESPN but have long sought to provide a platform for the domestic game.

However, sources close to the deal say SBS's involvement is not yet a completely done deal, with the fallout from the imminent conclusion of the NRL's TV negotiations still to be felt.

If Channel Ten in particular are left with nothing from the rugby league contracts, it's believed they may make a late play to secure soccer to shore up their sports portfolio.

Nonetheless the SBS offer carries significant weight because of the depth of coverage it would bring to the A-League from a free-to- air perspective.

It is still to be decided by soccer chiefs whether to bundle the A-League with the Socceroos games, or sell those in a separate deal.

Comments from FFA officials have hardened in recent weeks about the pot of money that will be available for the clubs following the TV deal, with A-League boss Lyall Gorman on Monday indicating the salary cap of around $2.5m at each club is likely to be covered each season.

It's understood the new committee of owners and FFA directors reaffirmed this, with FFA now confident of striking a deal that will underpin the game financially.

The TV deal signed by John O'Neill at the end of the first A-League season was worth some $120 million over seven years, and was rewarded by high-quality coverage on the pay-TV network.

But having at least one game on a FTA network has long been seen as essential to raising the A-League's profile among general sports fans, and providing a connection between the thousands of registered players and the competition's 10 teams.

The FFA's breakneck dash to establish a team in west Sydney has also been an integral part of the construction of the new TV deal, with a second team in the city seen as a driver of new subscriptions for Foxtel.

SBS was long seen as the spiritual home of soccer but relationships with FFA soured in the early days of O'Neill's tenure over trenchant criticism of the Australian youth teams, among others.

Neither SBS nor FFA were last night prepared to comment.

http://m.dailytelegr...r-1226346270241

I wonder if when SBS gets Australian Domestic Soccer back the Commentators will switch back into NSL gear and start calling anything out of the usual "World Class!".

Use to always lol @ this.

I also hope they chose to have Sunday Arvo games I used to love Sunday NSL on SBS back in Perth.

Edited by cadete

Any football on FTA is a massive win for the league/sport and Im very happy at the prospect and the potential benefits but Iam a little pissed off it would only be 1 game.. I mean, what the fuck else are SBS showing on a Fri/Sat arvo/night? Tonight in primetime they are showing a repeat of 'Coast', a BBC doco on... the coast and last week it was an Iranian action movie. FFS

Also the chances of us watching the Mongs and Smurfs every week are rather high..

Albeit a very positive step for the league, I still hope it develops further.

• Like 1

Does any one think having games on FTA could have a negative effect at all?

I mean, do you think some people would rather sit at home and watch the game for free rather than possibly travel 30mins on a wet midweek night?

Whether FTA or on Fox, there should be a 30min delay into the city games are being played at. Only issue there is people live-streaming games from their state from an interstate stream, but people who would go to those lengths to watch their team play at home probably aren't worth talking about.

Any football on FTA is a massive win for the league/sport and Im very happy at the prospect and the potential benefits but Iam a little pissed off it would only be 1 game.. I mean, what the fuck else are SBS showing on a Fri/Sat arvo/night? Tonight in primetime they are showing a repeat of 'Coast', a BBC doco on... the coast and last week it was an Iranian action movie. FFS

Also the chances of us watching the Mongs and Smurfs every week are rather high..

Albeit a very positive step for the league, I still hope it develops further.

They would only be showing 1 game to protect the money from Fox sports.

would like 10 to pick up the rights for the one game a week so that

a) it gets more coverage

b )Champions league games stay on FTA on SBS

Edited by malloy

Games must be live, no two ways about it.

Dunny bout you guys, but personally, I am (roughly) 5 times more likely to watch a sport if it were broadcast live (as apposed to a delayed telecast).

In the AFL and NRL, broadcasting games live had no effect/slight increase on attendances, whilst TV audiences jumped.

Also the fact that it is only 1 game a week + a highlights show (which in reality acts as a 30-60 minute advertisement of the sport) means that people could go a couple of months without seeing their team live, so people will be more inclined to buy memberships/attend games when it isn't broadcast.

As for which broadcaster, I'm nervous that Ch 10 could potentially dump it on 'ONE' so they can show a replay of thitanic on 10. Where as SBS would treasure it, and we all know they would do well by the sport. SBS outrates ONE around 2/3 to 1. However this time we have the security of FoxSports broadcasting all 5 games each round and 10 may be better financially.

Edited by LR9

If you wanted to make sure people dont stay at home to watch on FTA (i dont think it will be much of a problem TBH), could do the following:

If, for example, Heart is playing at home, then its likely Victory is playing away. So they can show the Victory game on FTA.

The opposite if Victory is playing at home.

On the chance that both are playing at home in the same week, could show a game not involving either team.

In other cities they can show the away games on FTA, and then show a random game if that city's team is at home.

Derbys could be show on FTA is people are still going to rock up.

Now having said that, I dont think its necessary. Plus if there are FTA games they will probably show a shit one not involving that city's team anyway as Foxtel will take the better games.

I think that since the A League started there have been a lot of Aussies that have became fans of the game out of nowhere such has been the success of the English Premier League.

As someone a little older than most on here I am constantly amazed from seeing more and more people on FB wall that went to school with and hated "Soccer" posting Premier League and Champions League related statuses.

Just one game even on delay on SBS I think could do a world of good of getting these people to make the final step and engage with game at an Australian level.

As someone a little older than most on here I am constantly amazed from seeing more and more people on FB wall that went to school with and hated "Soccer" posting Premier League and Champions League related statuses.

At my school, in year 9, there are no more than 5 people who attend matches regularly/have a membership.

year 7-8 there's around 6.

Year 10 there's 10-15.

i actually get hated on (by a small majority of people some) for liking Football more than i do AFL.

srs.

Free-to-air, if advertised correctly, could cause people to get 'A-League' stuck in their head, from even just flicking through the TV guide, and hopefully some become members.

I dont think it even needs to be debated TBH. The effects of FTA will be enormous.

For example, I know people who i'm quite confident prefer soccer over AFL, but just the fact AFL is so much mainstream they are members of AFL teams and dont really follow A-League.

Also there are sooooo many EPL/real/barca fanboy phaggots around who like soccer but just dont follow A-League. FTA would help get them following A-League.

If you wanted to make sure people dont stay at home to watch on FTA (i dont think it will be much of a problem TBH), could do the following:

If, for example, Heart is playing at home, then its likely Victory is playing away. So they can show the Victory game on FTA.

The opposite if Victory is playing at home.

On the chance that both are playing at home in the same week, could show a game not involving either team.

In other cities they can show the away games on FTA, and then show a random game if that city's team is at home.

Derbys could be show on FTA is people are still going to rock up.

Now having said that, I dont think its necessary. Plus if there are FTA games they will probably show a shit one not involving that city's team anyway as Foxtel will take the better games.

Just as an aside, I can almost guarantee that the coverage of the 'chosen' A-league game that week will NOT be city/state specific and tailored to the specific market like you're saying. Will be a generic nation-wide coverage. Especially so if it's SBS. Saves on production costs and manpower ie sourcing quality commentators etc.

Im not meaning to come across as a whinger but SBS is the epitome of Sydney-centric and I have a feeling that Smurfs games will be high on the agenda.

Has been one of the better weeks in the leagues history, just good news after good news. It's great to see the FFA actually doing something. It seems to me that if the league can get through Season 8 without a club folding then it's all up from here.

Edited by NoMorePineapple

Has been one of the better weeks in the leagues history, just good news after good news. It's great to see the FFA actually doing something. It seems to me that if the league can get through Season 8 without a club folding then it's all up from here.

Lol, and what were people saying at the start of the season just gone? Something about feeling like the league had just started up again, and there was real excitement? That things were only going to improve?

Everything gets blown up much more than it should when it comes to this league. People freaking out that our club would die because of harry going to Victory, or stating that everything will be amazing in a short period due to some other 'event'. This attitude, whilst good for a bit of hype, almost always ends up in disaster. Just look at the various league expansions, all based on excitement, rather than strategic planning.

Everyone needs to calm down and keep a level head when discussing the league, and even the sport in general in this country. Whilst I agree that FTA is a good move, and am loving the new competition between fox and sbs, I really don't think that one match shown per week will make this league a market dominator. We all love to jump to fantastic conclusions, thinking that it's our time to shine, when in reality, nothing much ever changes.

By all means, get excited over the good news, but avoid stupid conclusions, and slowly, but confidently build this sport up.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Full article:

"SOCCER will be back on free-to-air television next month with a $40 million-a-year deal likely to be signed this week.

Fox Sports will continue to televise every domestic and international match live.

The Herald Sun understands SBS will also secure rights for A-League matches for four years from 2013, plus Socceroos games for five years.

SBS staved off a late bid from Network 10, which re-entered the race after missing out on NRL rights three weeks ago.

Kicking in a year earlier, the Socceroos' World Cup qualifiers will be televised on SBS on a one-hour delay, starting with a qualifier away to Iraq on October 16.

However, A-League will likely have to wait another year before games are shown on free-to-air.

The Herald Sun understands SBS will televise one live game a week - probably Saturday night.

Advertisement

While SBS was keen to start immediately, Fox Sports wanted to retain exclusivity until 2013, when the present deal expires.

SBS may also screen a weekly highlights package.

The $40 million-per-year deal is likely to include at least $5 million in contra, with Fox Sports paying the lion's share. Fox Sports has had exclusive rights for A-League and Socceroos World Cup qualifiers and friendlies since 2005. The last deal was worth $21 million a year, incorporating $3 million of contra.

Football Federation Australia is proposing to lift the annual club dividend to $2.5 million once the deal kicks in (it already agreed to up the disbursement from $1.45 million to $1.9 million last July), covering the salary cap.

A-League owners are expected to fight for a larger sum.

Fox Sports executives were unavailable for comment and SBS head of sport Ken Shipp last night declined to comment.

Chief executive Ben Buckley remained tight-lipped last night and stressed that FFA was in no rush.

"We will take as much time as we need to take to get the agreement right and that's what we've said all along," Buckley said.

FFA has enjoyed a testy relationship with SBS."

:)

• Like 1

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-is-set-to-return-to-free-to-air-television-with-a-deal-done-with-sbs/story-fndb5nmd-1226471374024

Sounds great. Wish it was Channel 10 tbh. But at least it's on FTA and SBS will give it the respect it deserves.

Great News...

Also why would u want it on Channel 10? They would prob run Adverts through it.

Great News...

Also why would u want it on Channel 10? They would prob run Adverts through it.

10 would get more publicity for the matches, but I agree they would have ads during game play which is annoying, with SBS there definitely wont be any ads running since SBS is allowed to only show 5 mins of ads per hour of programming, which would be shown during half time and the pre and post game analysis.

10 would get more publicity for the matches, but I agree they would have ads during game play which is annoying, with SBS there definitely wont be any ads running since SBS is allowed to only show 5 mins of ads per hour of programming, which would be shown during half time and the pre and post game analysis.

SBS is pretty mainstream these days, and one of the reasons it is cause of The Champions League.

• Like 1

Just the increased viewership and prehaps increased respect that would come from Channel 10. But agree SBS is the much better option if 10 can't guarantee the games will be shown live or if ten aren't paying significantly more than SBS.

None of it really matters for me as I'll still be watching the games on Fox anyway.

Edited by Jimmy

SBS is pretty mainstream these days, and one of the reasons it is cause of The Champions League.

Not really, mate.

Network ABC TOTAL 19.5%

Network 7 TOTAL 34.0%

Network 9 TOTAL 23.9%

Network TEN TOTAL 15.9%

Network SBS TOTAL 6.6%

http://www.throng.com.au/2012/09/free-to-air-tv-ratings-tuesday-september-4-2012/

Good news never the less, and at least 10 have drivin up the price slightly.

Not really, mate.

Network ABC TOTAL 19.5%

Network 7 TOTAL 34.0%

Network 9 TOTAL 23.9%

Network TEN TOTAL 15.9%

Network SBS TOTAL 6.6%

http://www.throng.co...ptember-4-2012/

Good news never the less, and at least 10 have drivin up the price slightly.

First off Telsa already made your point by mentioning the only really relevant Viewership % to this discussion so nobody really needed know the above Stats or their source.

Regardless, my comment what more about perception than ratings: That unlike in its beginnings up to the mid/late 90’s PPL in Australia now view SBS more than purely just “The Foreign Channel”.

I am sure some of the posters on here my age like Harry and Baz could back me up on this point.

Edited by cadete

Insecurity at its finest. It wasn't a personal attack, Pal. Need to learn to let somethings go throug to the keeper, from time to time.

I just did not get the relevancy of your Stats when the only relevant one had already been mentioned.

However isn’t it a pity in life how it's always the people that have no Insecurities whatsoever that really need them most?

If only it was the reverse then maybe such types would be able to grasp the clearcut reality of the situation around them.

Edited by cadete

Settle down ladies.

Great news, it's a huge step to growing the game in this country. Personally I don't give a shit who gets the right as long as it's on FTA. Not becuase I can't watch games, my mrs has foxtel so that doesn't worry me but I want every other cunt watching it and talkin about it. It's the only way the crowd numbers will grow.

Settle down ladies.

Great news, it's a huge step to growing the game in this country. Personally I don't give a shit who gets the right as long as it's on FTA. Not becuase I can't watch games, my mrs has foxtel so that doesn't worry me but I want every other cunt watching it and talkin about it. It's the only way the crowd numbers will grow.

Who is this guy? <_<

Glad real Aussie football is to be back on free to air. I would like to see more than one game a week though, more to see Heart away on a regular basis than to be glued to the box for hours on end.

I think Ch. 10 would have been better from a PR angle rather than SBS now that FTA have more stations to fill unlike when Channel 7 bought the rights a number of years ago and left soccer in the cupboard (Remember the "Nobody screws soccer like Seven" banners?).

However, SBS has done a great job with the Euro Championships, World Cups, Champions League etc. It would be great for them to make the A-League a central part of the network and give football a heap of air time which would get a number of channel surfers hooked. SBS have three channels and it would be fantastic to get something from the money the government takes.

A-League or the Maltese news? Choices, choices.....