Melbourne Football

Goodwin - The Pain That Keeps Hurting

Sash

• 9 years later...

I missed last nights Socceroos game but Goodwin’s role in the goals shows what a player he’s become.

All due to Pappas identifying his talent and JVS insisting on debuting the youth left back !

(im sure Craig has contributed plenty to his success himself but these two gave him the start he needed)

4 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

I missed last nights Socceroos game but Goodwin’s role in the goals shows what a player he’s become.

All due to Pappas identifying his talent and JVS insisting on debuting the youth left back !

(im sure Craig has contributed plenty to his success himself but these two gave him the start he needed)

Pappas?

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Pappas?

Arthur Papas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Papas Although it's not mentioned here, he was for a short time Heart Youth team coach (or assistant), after coaching Oakleigh and before he joined Newcastle in 2011.

He was definitely there at Northcote (with Aloisi?) one time when I was watching our youth team and the likes of Jeremy and Zac Walker.

• Like 2

On 27/3/2024 at 6:01 PM, NewConvert said:

Pappas?

Yeah dodgy spelling but the story was (as I recall) that Goodwin was rejected by Adelaide and was picked up by Oakleigh in the NPL. Their coach was Arthur Papas. The next year Papas was the youth coach at Heart and was therefore presumably instrumental in the young (though older than some in the youth squad) Goodwin getting signed to the Heart youth team.

Id love to hear an interview with Craig himself about how he made it. He’s one guy that didn’t have the easiest path to success.

3 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Yeah dodgy spelling but the story was (as I recall) that Goodwin was rejected by Adelaide and was picked up by Oakleigh in the NPL. Their coach was Arthur Papas. The next year Papas was the youth coach at Heart and was therefore presumably instrumental in the young (though older than some in the youth squad) Goodwin getting signed to the Heart youth team.

Id love to hear an interview with Craig himself about how he made it. He’s one guy that didn’t have the easiest path to success.

Yes, your summary checks out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Goodwin

IIRC Heart fans were equally surprised that he didn't sign for us after his successful debut in the A-League. Just looking at Papas' career it may be that Papas was instrumental to Goodwin going there.

He's "one that got away." There have been others, but it seems inevitable under our system. Probably at all clubs if we looked closely enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1