Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

we should re-sign Shroj as another DM

Another top post! Not only do we not need another CB but we also need a 3rd DM.. Sounds like a plan worthy of Aloisi's attention!

Gerhardt looks like a wonderful selection! I hope he lives up to his video. He looks physical, quick, skillful and intelligent, I will at least admit Srhoj was 1 of those 4

Wouldn't you rather Flores then SVD?

Under the hope that Fred can play out the season uninjured, I'd go SVD. We need that finishing. Not saying that Flores isn't class, but I find it strange that he could not command a starting spot in a Chinese side that is fighting relegation???

Nate foster is no chance now, we only have one visa spot left and that will be used on a striker.

I'd much rather Foster and Honos, over Gray and Gol Gol or anyother hack FFS.

Only thing that JDs ever done which I don't agree with.

Edited by LR9

Nate foster is no chance now, we only have one visa spot left and that will be used on a striker.

Why is that? Are you saying Gray is a done deal as well?

Can't see why we need Gray as well as Gerhardt.

Edited by jw1739

Not sure if Gol Gol's a done deal yet. JD said he's had some injury issues that they wanted to make sure he'd overcome before signing him. I don't know why, but he wasn't training on Friday and I don't think he was in any of the photos from Thursday.

With Gol Gol, Gray, and Honos, at least they've had a good look at them before making a decision. With Gray in particular, they've watched him in the VPL, taken him to Hawai, and have had him at training. So they know what they're getting. Which probably can't always be said for players brought into the league.

Edited by Sash

Best team atm. 5 places left in the squad.

Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Hamill Behich

Fred Gerhardt Thompson

Dugandzic Hoffman Germano

Compared to MV. 2 places left in squad.

Velaphi

Franjic Foschini Leijer Traore

Ferreira Bru Celeski

Rojas Allsop Thompson

We are so much better placed than MV, but it's up to Aloisi and JD to take advantage of it.

Edited by mulhollanddrive
  • Like 1

As I see it ATM, if we include Gerhardt as a done deal, we have 15 players contracted for next season. Three visa spots are taken (Germano, Fred and Gerhardt) leaving two vacant plus one more if we want to sign an AFC player. We want to go into the season with 20 players in the senior squad, so we have five more to sign.

48 hours ago basically no-one had heard of Gerhardt.

Frustrating though it is, it's best not to assume anything until it's officially announced by the club.

I can't see any reason to sign Gray now, unless we intend to play him as well as Gerhardt, because it's a waste of a visa spot one way or the other. As for Gol Gol, we've had a look at him,, so wait for the verdict. On paper he doesn't seem to add a lot to the squad.

If we do sign either of these players I for one would hope it's for one year only.

• Like 5

We are so much better placed than MV, but it's up to Aloisi and JD to take advantage of it.

Never count your chickens before they hatch, it would be naive to think they won't show a large improvement this coming season, in fact the whole league should for that matter. We need to go above and beyond par in improvement and consistency to catch Roar, Glory and CCM.

• Like 1

Need someone who can put a decent cross in from the left, also need someone for set peices, I love Dugaznic but he's not good enough to be taking our free kicks and corners.

One of my pet rants...strikers should be in and around the box for the chances, not taking the kick. Just hope JA and the new coaching team take some action on these things because Jv$ never seemed to do a thing about it.

I can't see any reason to sign Gray now, unless we intend to play him as well as Gerhardt, because it's a waste of a visa spot one way or the other.

i'd guess they intend Gerhardt to be the new midfield enforcer they've talked about. Where as Gray is a central defender, presumably cover for colosimo, good or hamil. If it's not Gray, then we clearly need another defender, needless to say, particularly if good leaves.

I'm sure JA and JD have a template of the team they are after to contend this season.

Bolton

Marrone

Behich

Gerhardt

Fred

Thompson

Dugandzic

Germano

All those players are capable of being top players in their position in the league. This leaves CB x 2, Striker, which if you were wanting to take our club to the next level these would be the exact positions we've underachieved in our 2 years. We leak goals and aren't ruthless in front of them. I think top level signings in these areas make us a contender.

The more I think about it, the more it fucking enrages me.

I still can't justify how Gray gets a VISA spot, there AT LEAST 10 better quality Aussie CBs who could be signed on minimum wage, as 'depth'!

Fuck sake, Even Konstatanidis and Traloer are playing better football in the VPL currently.

Dandenong have only conceded 4 goals in 11 games since Gray left, coincidence?

If we sign this cunt we would deprive a good young International like Foster, Del Solar, Sherbon, Steven Weir, etc. a chance in the HAL.

I'd even rather Roddy Vargas, as he could waste away on the bench or in the NYL, rather then this imposter 'Stevie G' taking up a foreigner spot.

... Yes, I'm mad. ;)

• Like 1

totally agree with you LR9

there's no logic with using a visa spot on a player who is essentially going to be our 4th choice CB.

IMO, by the looks of things we have made a pretty much perfect signing with Gerhardt in that he is an experienced DM (that is at the prime of his career) who has also played a lot of his football as a CB. It's perfect in that IF colosimo is to get injured, it would make sense to shift Gerhardt into the centre of defense to provide the experience next to Hamill/Good and Germano would just be the sole DM.

That way, that visa spot could be used to sign a high quality AM for extra creativity and to help out Fred , so regardless if Fred or colosimo were injured, we'd still be sending out a very dangerous

squad that is capable of beating any team.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more it fucking enrages me.

I still can't justify how Gray gets a VISA spot, there AT LEAST 10 better quality Aussie CBs who could be signed on minimum wage, as 'depth'!

Fuck sake, Even Konstatanidis and Traloer are playing better football in the VPL currently.

Dandenong have only conceded 4 goals in 11 games since Gray left, coincidence?

If we sign this cunt we would deprive a good young International like Foster, Del Solar, Sherbon, Steven Weir, etc. a chance in the HAL.

I'd even rather Roddy Vargas, as he could waste away on the bench or in the NYL, rather then this imposter 'Stevie G' taking up a foreigner spot.

... Yes, I'm mad. ;)

I thought Steven Weir had been deported... :D

I watched the highlights from our game away to Adelaide in our first season the other night and was reminded of the confidence I had in both JA and Gerald Sibon to score chances when the came. This was lacking this season although Eli did hit form this year.

Let's hope we get one or two high quality strikers soon who can star. If this happens and Hoffman (more a striker than midfielder in my opinion as he showed playing for Australia) and Williams deliver consistently, we have a great arsenal (inc. Mate, Germano when used as attacker) who can win this league.

I watched the highlights from our game away to Adelaide in our first season the other night and was reminded of the confidence I had in both JA and Gerald Sibon to score chances when the came. This was lacking this season although Eli did hit form this year.

Let's hope we get one or two high quality strikers soon who can star. If this happens and Hoffman (more a striker than midfielder in my opinion as he showed playing for Australia) and Williams deliver consistently, we have a great arsenal (inc. Mate, Germano when used as attacker) who can win this league.

Hoff has never delivered and never will.

Williams has never delivered for Heart - and I have strong doubts that he ever will.

The only way we will have a "Great Arsenal" is if the recruited Striker is the find of the season:

As I very much doubt that they will be a big name.

• Like 1

IMO, the ideal squad this season would have been:

GK's: Bolton, Redmayne

RB: Marrone

CB: Madaschi, Colosimo, Hamill, Good

LB: Behich, Goodwin

DM: Gerhardt, Germano, Thompson

AM: Fred, new AM, Kalmar

RW: Dugandzic, Williams

CF: Babalj, new visa*

LW: new visa*, Gol Gol

21 players heading into the season, pretty much perfect squad with right balance of experience and youth to win the league imo

Edited by heart_fan10

No point in playing Terra at 5 foot 4 inches and then pumping long high balls over his head. No point in playing Worm or Dugandzic as wingers and then not feeding the ball to them where they can run on to it. Williams made it clear when he signed that he wanted to play as a central striker, so JvS played him on the wing. Hoffman - yes, I hear all the arguments, but the guy scored a bagful of goals in last pre-season and has a good scoring record in internationals - and how many times have we played him as a striker?

Hoff has never delivered and never will.

Williams has never delivered for Heart - and I have strong doubts that he ever will.

Last season Hoff came on against Sydney up front and scored. The rest of the time he, Williams and Terra were all played out of positon, on their weaker side etc. They all have the ability and hopefully JA will bring the best out of Hoffman and Williams. Coupled with a new striker and Mate, I still maintain that we will have a strong offensive line.

Time will tell how effective it is.

• Like 1

Last season Hoff came on against Sydney up front and scored.

I remember this well. He had 90% of the net wide open, keeper wrong footed and shot it at the keeper and somehow it went in (i think maybe via deflection).

It was during this moment that i finally lost all hope in the Hoff.

• Like 1

A couple more points.

We were seemingly caught unawares when Red Star moved for Babalj, and we had no contingency plans in place. IMO it's inevitable that someone will make a move for Curtis Good sooner or later - so we need to have a Plan B ready there.

Are we looking sufficiently hard at the possibilities of picking up someone for the AFC visa spot available to us?

Edited by jw1739

I remember this well. He had 90% of the net wide open, keeper wrong footed and shot it at the keeper and somehow it went in (i think maybe via deflection).

It was during this moment that i finally lost all hope in the Hoff.

It was def a deflection - I remember checking the replay to see for sure at the game.

And I cannot even bother explaining how pointless a season would be if our CF options consisted of Williams and Hoff.

Of couse JA and JD know this - I just hope their solution is one that works.

Edited by cadete