Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

Then who's our best player TESLA?

On his day, its Dugandzic.

When looking more at consistency, its Fred.

Nothing against Babalj, seems like I have been defending him for 2 whole seasons against the haters, but he was never our best player.

• Like 1

Mate, Aziz, Fred, Marrone and Bolton are all better footballers, currently.

Agreed, on Mate, Fred and Marrone.

However I still think as a Tall and Fast CF Eli was always going to demand a bigger transfer fee than anyone else.

have played with josh before, good guy and a very handy player. He's very composed on the ball and is great in the air. Was in the Brisbane youth team before coming back to Melbourne

as strange as it sounds he can play as a striker and has also played a fair bit as a CB. not sure how aloisi used him in the youth team last season though

I would have no issue with Culina signind in that DM (or other) role. Great experience and mentor for the younger players.

Plus, anyone for Branko as Aloisi's assistant, aka, "Coaching Director"?

Please not Branko and Jason. One or the other would be great, both and we've got a potential jets saga.

Been linked to the visitors. Ray Gatt reported they were signing him a couple weeks back on twitter.

Have been told Victory set to sign Greek international Vangelis Moras from relegated serie. A club Cesena. 30yo defender. Played 1 game Epl

— Ray Gatt (@Gatty54)

May 24, 2012

Would be great if we could get him. A CB which is what we need, one has to just look at the impact of Madashi to see how much a good CB would help down back.

Edited by Hammerhead

Isn't Culina a long way from being fit? Last I read that he's still to kick a ball. Would be a huge gamble, and I can't see the need to take it.

But think of the upside, it's unlikely we'll sign Grella and we've all seen how good Culina is when he's fit and firing and we have 4 months to get him that way. I also doubt he'd be asking for an overly big paycheck when you consider he hasn't played in a year and has dingy knee, which leaves more cap room open for a striker.

But think of the upside, it's unlikely we'll sign Grella and we've all seen how good Culina is when he's fit and firing and we have 4 months to get him that way. I also doubt he'd be asking for an overly big paycheck when you consider he hasn't played in a year and has dingy knee, which leaves more cap room open for a striker.

IMO, we should be spending the most amount of our budget on a striker. like you said, i think we should save money, while still getting a solid DM. keep in mind we still need a winger, ATM, and center half.

Assumining he stays fit Culina could give us four or five years of great service as a player. He is one of the best players to come out of Australia. If he is wanting to get into coaching (we have vacancies you know?) Melbourne Heart would provide a good base for him.

Even if his first season is one of gradual introduction, we have the likes of Germano, Thompson and Marone who can play in defensive midfield. Once he is nursed back to full fitness the long term reward will hopefully be realised.

Absolute no to Culina on purely medical grounds.

His operation was a knee osteotomy, meaning that part of either his femur of tibia was removed in order to get rid of degenerative changes to his knee joint.

This is a pretty major knee operation, especially on someone young. The key indication for the surgery being performed is that the patient requires a total knee replacement, but is too young for it.

In English: Jason Culina's knees are like that of someone with osteoarthritis. He essentially has 75+ year old knees.

Now, I wouldn't simply rule him out of the grounds of having knee surgery. The issue is that, even in professional athletes who undergo perfect rehab, very few people who have this operation ever return to sport at any level.

Combine this with his required salary, probable risk of further injury or time missed due to lack of conditioning and you've got a compelling reason as to why we won't, and more importantly shouldn't, sign Jason Culina.

In all honesty, I would be very surprised if Culina ever played again professionally. The odds are stacked heavily against him.

• Like 4