Melbourne Football

EURO 2012

MC7ULTRA

This is why EURO is the best competition in the world. By best I dont mean highest quality, but it is a very high quality, almost best, while also being the most competitive competition you will find. There really aren't any teams that are just making up the numbers, even if on paper a team is weak, such is the difficulty in qualifying that they must be a very good team if they qualified. Even the hosts, who probably wouldnt have qualified if they had too, have been competitive.

the new 24 team format will change that.

16 is perfect, perfect group stage bar the head2head system, perfect match times & breaks, perfect organization etc.

24 is fucking stupid, 10 nations that could compete? fuck no, name them.

There's a maximum of 3 maybe 4 nations that will actually compete at best, the rest are just Ireland's of Euro 2012.

The teams that could at best compete that aren't in this years Euro's are; Belgium, Turkey, Switzerland, I can't even name a 4th.

16 is perfect, perfect group stage bar the head2head system, perfect match times & breaks, perfect organization etc.

24 is fucking stupid, 10 nations that could compete? fuck no, name them.

There's a maximum of 3 maybe 4 nations that will actually compete at best, the rest are just Ireland's of Euro 2012.

The teams that could at best compete that aren't in this years Euro's are; Belgium, Turkey, Switzerland, I can't even name a 4th.

It's eight.

Belgium, Turkey, Swiss, Serbs, Slovenia, Slovakia, Austria, Bosnia would be all relatively competitive to varying degrees.

24 is a bit too much for a continental competition tbfh.

Edited by Hendo

That's what I'm saying, the 3 I first listed would be better than Ireland were, but the rest would be at best what Ireland were this tournament.

And by compete I mean challenge the group and make something of it, might not have to get out of it but at least show glimpses that you were a chance.

Edited by DutchPride

May sound ignorant/stupid, but having an extra 2 groups would give me a more interest since there are more variety of nations who are roughly in the same level as Croatia, Russia and Sweden. = more excitement. That's my opinion and I would support the decision to go ahead towards the 2016 tournament

You're telling me that on paper, there aren't a number of teams that are about as good as if not better than Greece, for example, who made it to the second round?

Belgium

Turkey

Switzerland

Serbia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Austria

Romania

Norway

Scotland

Yes I am telling you that, Belgium, Switzerland, Serbia & Turkey are the only legitimate teams that could emulate & eclipse Greece.

Slovakia carried by Hamsik, Montenegro by Jovetic, and the rest wouldn't stand a chance with any good side in their group, these teams would be the Ireland's of this years Euro's.

They might end up being Irelands, but they might also pull off a few results. Anyway, my point wasnt that 24 teams will be better, but rather its not a big deal and the competition will still be very competitive and still the most competitive tournament in the world. Any loss of competitiveness from adding these teams, would be made up by the increased entertainment of more games, and increased opportunity for a "fairy tale" run (everybody loves an underdog).

FWIW, of the teams I listed, Romania is probably worst, and they have beaten Greece recently.

It's way to big for a continental tournament, it jumbles up the stages, sure it adds entertainment, but it fucks up the schedule and demand to play, 4 day break is perfect.

I guess it's inevitable it's going to be 24, simply because UEFA will make more $$$$, but I just don't see it being a very good at all.

It's way to big for a continental tournament

The reason I disagree with this is because its UEFA. Dont they have 16 world cup spots, or something like that (cbf confirming)? To me, the continental championship should give more teams a chance at a major tournament than a world cup.

but it fucks up the schedule

Yeah, it does a bit

I guess it's inevitable it's going to be 24, simply because UEFA will make more $$$$

Agreed again. Cash rules everything around me.

You're telling me that on paper, there aren't a number of teams that are about as good as if not better than Greece, for example, who made it to the second round?

Turkey

Belgium

Switzerland

Serbia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Austria

Romania

Norway

Scotland

Fixed, and we must move to inlcude more teams next time. A tournament for all of Europe

get around Ronaldo imo!

backing Germany with everything i have in my account ($12.90). i'm not extremely confident as i really can see Greece getting something tonight.

Klose is meant to be starting infront of Gomez tonight, and Podolski and Muller might be on the bench as well, with Reus and Schurrle coming in. interezzzting

Thoroughly enjoyed ze Germans crushing those Greeks this morning, fuck the czechs. I'll be getting around Germany to win the Euro, they came so close to winning it in 2008 and missing out in the finals of the WC 2 years ago and in 2006, plus losing to Brasil in 2002. They deserve a major trophy for their efforts in recent years. Would hope Klose and Podolski make themselves stand out in the semi's and hopefully in the finals.

Thoroughly enjoyed ze Germans crushing those Greeks this morning, fuck the czechs. I'll be getting around Germany to win the Euro, they came so close to winning it in 2008 and missing out in the finals of the WC 2 years ago and in 2006, plus losing to Brasil in 2002. They deserve a major trophy for their efforts in recent years. Would hope Klose and Podolski make themselves stand out in the semi's and hopefully in the finals.

You only deserve a title when you win it.

• Like 2

Vai!

Absolutely dominated that match, should have put it to bed several times in normal and extra time.

Nonetheless, very happy with the performance and the result.

Germany are extremely solid, and I'm worried, but seeing us control this game so much is giving me a tiny bit of hope.

Forza ragazzi.

Germany will walk all over Italy.

What will happen is that Germany will have an off day and just get past Italy and then the win the Tournament as predicted.

This will enable the England to go and pretend like they were a lot closer to winning the thing even when they never truly stood a chance against the Germans.

See Collingwood FC Complaint Case 2007.

• Like 1