Melbourne Football

Round 17 - vs Sydney - Friday Jan 31st - 7.30pm AEDT, 8.30am GMT

Caddy

BTW does anyone know what happened to Garrucio right near the final whistle when he went down and seem to have been knocked on the head? Hoffman was about to do a throw in and he pointed out to the ref that a man was down. There seemed to be some agitation going on but I did not see it, the cameras were focused on Hoffman and Basheer was focused on himself.

There was a head clash a few minutes earlier not sure who the bling player was. On TV he looked like he may get a black eye there looked like some bruising was coming up around there.

Light after the darkness for Heart

By Ben McKay, AAP

February 1, 2014

Rarely has it felt so good to be bottom of the table.

Melbourne Heart looked barely recognisable to the side that took just four points from 12 games under recently sacked coach John Aloisi, overcoming huge adversity to prevail against Sydney FC on Friday night.

A goal and a man down at half-time, Heart's players summoned the will - and coach John van 't Schip found the way to overcome their more fancied visitors.

Playing at home in front of new Manchester City owners, both players and coach passed their initial auditions though it was van 't Schip - with double Aloisi's points tally already from five games - who impressed most.

The Dutchman has Heart beating again on the pitch, masterminding a win where cross-town rivals Victory failed miserably just five days earlier.

His decision to overload the midfield and then to inject match-winner David Williams with 20 minutes remaining proved crucial in turning around a deficit, though he gave credit to his players, with Jonatan Germano, Harry Kewell and Williams all impressing.

The effort of the players spilled over past the full-time whistle, with wild celebrations followed by an incredible commitment to satisfying the 7,674 fans in attendance.

Williams was still on the pitch signing autographs, giving hugs and posing in photos a full hour after the final whistle, when the crowd had reduced to just dozens of eager fans.

While van 't Schip spoke of a "good vibe" pervading the club after City's acquisition the week before, he was at pains to steer the conversation towards the match and not the new management.

"You can never prove what kind of impact it (has)," he said.

"We're concentrating, training every day with the game plan that we want to execute for the next game. We try to focus on those sort of things."

Though the future is undeniably bright for Heart - it could hardly have been bleaker just a month earlier - there remain some challenges in the transformation.

Heart's most vocal fans in the "Yarraside" bays made their thoughts known on a potential shift to the sky blue of City, unveiling a banner with red text reading "Our Club. Our Colours".

Some have this pinned this as the battle of Sky Blues present and future, but Sydney FC coach Frank Farina didn't see it that way when asked about Heart's colour switch.

"It won't happen," he offered, dismissively.

Farina admitted he thought he had completed a deal for out-of-contract Eddy Bosnar, who opted to sign for Central Coast on Friday, and that he could continue a search for reinforcements.

"That's the way it is, I don't hold any grudges against him," he said.

"We've got until Tuesday so we'll keep looking."

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/21205222/light-after-the-darkness-for-heart/

Edited by Murfy1

Anyway, just want to sum up by thanking Yarraside for leading the boisterous support we gave to the boys last night from all around the ground. Great banners - the words and the sublime subtlety of the City of Melbourne flag were just right. The Manchester delegation will have received the message - I have no doubt about that - and that we are the best set of fans in the country.

• Like 4

Anyway, just want to sum up by thanking Yarraside for leading the boisterous support we gave to the boys last night from all around the ground. Great banners - the words and the sublime subtlety of the City of Melbourne flag were just right. The Manchester delegation will have received the message - I have no doubt about that - and that we are the best set of fans in the country.

Second that.

As well as thumbs up for large portion of GA above the active area for joining in during the game.

Their chanting while standing gave us an idea how amazing "c'mon you boys in red" sounds with almost the whole of south stand giving their best!

• Like 1

One of the things the delegation will be happy about are the "level of engagement" from fans in the south stand.. Yeah, they will get the expected message from banners etc but the media marketing guys will love it and the "matchday experience" marketing guys will love it.
You simply can´t buy it. 

• Like 1

Apologies for the delayed post it got saved but didn't send.... So should have been sent just after the game

Firstly fuckin get in you mighty hearts, what a win!!!

Brought a few first timers tonight in he GA and they could not #believe the atmosphere coming from the yarra side great work everyone singing along! Can't recall going as bonkers as everyone did when super david slotted that goal in the 89th.

Good to see the players not drop their heads after the red and firstly conceding.

Pumped for the rest of the year now don't have much to lose but can start to build on having a serious crack for next season, up the red and white!

Also so happy together is gaining momentum I'm really starting to like it and people seem to be getting the words right! COYBIR

what a match, brought along a mate who had never been before and he loved it, said he will definitely be back

Pity the mates I brought along came when JA was coaching, hard to get them to return now!

totally agree mate i brought around 4 different mates to games early in the season and none wanted to come back haha

Quote of the evening from a new attendee:

"What are they cheering for?"

Pointing at YS when we were a man and a goal down and Sydney were pressing our goal.

Welcome to football

Had a go at some random teen who pointed to Germano after the game and said 'who's that?'

Felt like the shittest bloke when I found out it's his 2nd game at the football lol.

"Ohhh I love germano he's my cult hero" lol

Second that.

As well as thumbs up for large portion of GA above the active area for joining in during the game.

Their chanting while standing gave us an idea how amazing "c'mon you boys in red" sounds with almost the whole of south stand giving their best!

I'll third that for the effort of YS and especially for the banner. A great way for the supporters to be heard.

Edited by Rellum

I brought two families, both with two young girls in each and they have both gone home happy bragging about how "their team" won. The girls are 10 & 8 and 6 & 4 so they'll all grow up as Heart fans now  :) 

Thank you David Williams for that goal! haha

post-3296-0-29663600-1391431402_thumb.jp

Today's pretty much the first opportunity I've had to sit down and write up a post about this game after a pretty busy weekend/day of work on Monday.

Was obviously rapt with the result and the manner in which we achieved it. I thought after seeing my first win live (against Newcastle) that there wouldn't be very many more moments which would top that in the near future but this game blew it completely out of the water. Nothing quite feels the same as overcoming the odds (a questionable red card, one dubious penalty non-call and an obvious one not to mention conceding the first goal) to pick up a win like that.

I've been met with some resistance from a few people who I'm trying to bring along for a game and it's disappointing because if they experienced that match then i think they'd be here for life. Luckily I've managed to get a few to agree to join us for the Derby and if we keep performing like this I don't see any reason why we can't stuff the Visitors big time.

Also, fantastic work to the Core lads with the Banners. It's really important to get our message across in a 'classy' way and i thought that was done really well!

• Like 3