Melbourne Football

Melbourne City/Heart vs Manchester City

MTP

EPL outfit Manchester City set to face A-League sides Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Heart

Marco Monteverde

January 25, 2014

SUNCORP Stadium is set to host Manchester City as part of a two-game Australian tour celebrating the English Premier League giant's purchase of A-League club Melbourne Heart.

It is understood Tourism and Events Queensland are in talks with City officials about a match between the Manchester club and Brisbane Roar in May.

"We always consider proposals to bring a high calibre sporting event to Queensland," TEQ corporate affairs group executive Megan Saunders said.

City's program will also include a match at Melbourne's Etihad Stadium against the Heart, who they now own after an $11.25 million takeover on Thursday.

City, the world's richest football club thanks to the billions of owner Sheikh Mansour, are expected to send a developmental squad to Australia.

Their biggest stars, including Sergio Augero, David Villa, Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure, will be in World Cup mode with their respective nations ahead of the globe's biggest sporting event in June in Brazil.

Still, the excitement surrounding The Citizens' new relationship with A-League should ensure healthy crowds in Brisbane and Melbourne. The Sky Blues have had an official Brisbane supporters group since last 2010.

[...]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/epl-outfit-manchester-city-set-to-face-aleague-sides-brisbane-roar-and-melbourne-heart/story-fnk6pqhd-1226810011786

Edited by Murfy1

Yup. In.

and  excited to meet the citeh fans from manchester!

Just so you know mate, we are City fans, not "citeh".

Rags (Utd) and fans of other clubs use the term "citeh" in a deregatory manner and it pisses most of us off.

fair enough mate, had no idea (srs) sorry :)

Yup. In.

and  excited to meet the citeh fans from manchester!

Just so you know mate, we are City fans, not "citeh".

Rags (Utd) and fans of other clubs use the term "citeh" in a deregatory manner and it pisses most of us off.

fair enough mate, had no idea (srs) sorry :)

Its not a problem mate.

I look foward to some of the names you have for Victory fans though ;-)

Victards

Visitors (at one of how home games they were listed as Visitors instead of Victory on the screen hehe)

Mongs

Pack of fucking retards etc ;)

Great to see we share a pure hatred and remember, in the years to come when you have left them behind in your wake and they are all desperatly trying to jump ship, remind them of what cunts they are and tell them to fuck right off! ;-)

Edited by blueinsa
  • Like 1

They're pretty much the Australian equivalent of what would happen if Manchester United and Millwall Fans had a baby and then named a West Ham fan as the godfather.

No offense to any West Ham or Milwall fans  ;)

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 4

Their biggest stars, including Sergio Augero, David Villa, Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure, will be in World Cup mode with their respective nations ahead of the globe's biggest sporting event in June in Brazil.

David Villa lol that should be David Silva!!!!

David Villa lol that should be David Silva!!!!

It took the British press three years to get that consistently right. It's only natural that the Australian press should take ages to realise too.

I don't think they'll reconfigure Etihad Stadium in Melbourne in May. AFL has seven games there in May and may want to claim exclusive rights to the stadium. But money talks and I'm sure they will come to the party. Will be a treat to watch all the Mongs bleating as they miss out on this big game. 

This historic event may be the last time we play as Melbourne Heart in Red and White?

I don't think they'll reconfigure Etihad Stadium in Melbourne in May. AFL has seven games there in May and may want to claim exclusive rights to the stadium. But money talks and I'm sure they will come to the party. Will be a treat to watch all the Mongs bleating as they miss out on this big game. 

This historic event may be the last time we play as Melbourne Heart in Red and White?

Ah, of course, the AFL. Although, the Yarraside may actually get to stand in the Southern End as opposed to being crammed in the corner :P

The AFL would just make sure that they chopped up the pitch badly before the game. Etihad stadium in Melbourne is run by the AFL

The AFL would just make sure that they chopped up the pitch badly before the game. Etihad stadium in Melbourne is run by the AFL

Or host a monster truck event the night before the game like Newcastle

I thought that the AFL are to take ownership in 2020 or something? If I remember correctly, isn't the issue with North Melbourne's attendances to do with Etihad's owners and such? (I know I am grossly oversimplifying that haha)

Apparently Etihad is so badly designed that large areas of the stadium grass get very little natural light and the grass has to be replaced regularly, even with artificial lights. The grass suffers even more with the sides of the stadium pushed in to make it rectangular so Etihad management have been very reluctant to do it and until this year have charged exorbitantly to do so.

I would rather pay twice as much and play at AAMI. My son is home from Germany where he watches Dortmund. He's been to a couple of Heart games and says we don't know how lucky we are - the ground is fantastic and the atmosphere great even with 6,000 spectators.

I would rather pay twice as much and play at AAMI. My son is home from Germany where he watches Dortmund. He's been to a couple of Heart games and says we don't know how lucky we are - the ground is fantastic and the atmosphere great even with 6,000 spectators.

Agreed. I watch a lot of J-League and the teams there play in oval stadiums with athletic tracks and it looks awful and the fans look to be so far away from the action. Every time I watched highlights it makes me so happy that Heart have a home like Aami.

City, the world's richest football club thanks to the billions of owner Sheikh Mansour, are expected to send a developmental squad to Australia.

Don't know whether any of the first team squad not involved in the World Cup will be touring - some may not be in their national teams and some are from nations that didn't qualify.

Anyway, if it is just the EDS (Elite Development Squad), then you will see some of City's intended stars of the future.

The Elite Development Squad is effectively the stepping stone for graduates from the club's Academy with a view to breaking through to the manager's first-team squad.

As such, the EDS has replaced the traditional reserve team at the club, fulfilling fixtures in the Barclays u21 Premier League as well as entering the Manchester Senior Cup and the Lancashire Senior Cup.

As the name suggests, the side usually comprises Under-21 players, although a senior player back in training following an injury might sometimes be given a run-out in an EDS match to aid his return to full match fitness.

The EDS team currently lie 8th (out of 22) in the Barclays U21 Premier League having won the last four games after a very poor start and are into the last 16 of the U19 EUFA Youth League, which has been paralleling the Champions League (same teams), where they'll be away to Atletico Madrid.

The Academy team currently head (out of 11) the North Group of the Barclays Premier Academy (U18) League having won their last 9 games after a poor start and are into the last 16 of the FA Youth Cup, where they'll be home to Fulham or Spurs, who are at or near the top of the South Group.

Both the EDS and the Academy are, like the first team, scoring very freely at the moment.  It took all three teams a while to click after the changes introduced at the end of last season.  The new 'holistic' philosophy of the club is for players at all levels to play the same style of football so that progression up from Academy to EDS and then into the first team is smooth.

Hopefully, the match in May will live up to this billing!

Edited by oeokosko