Melbourne Football

Melbourne City/Heart vs Manchester City

MTP

The EDS team currently lie 8th (out of 22) in the Barclays U21 Premier League having won the last four games after a very poor start and are into the last 16 of the U19 EUFA Youth League, which has been paralleling the Champions League (same teams), where they'll be away to Atletico Madrid.

The Academy team currently head (out of 11) the North Group of the Barclays Premier Academy (U18) League having won their last 9 games after a poor start and are into the last 16 of the FA Youth Cup, where they'll be home to Fulham or Spurs, who are at or near the top of the South Group.

Both the EDS and the Academy are, like the first team, scoring very freely at the moment.  It took all three teams a while to click after the changes introduced at the end of last season.  The new 'holistic' philosophy of the club is for players at all levels to play the same style of football so that progression up from Academy to EDS and then into the first team is smooth.

Hopefully, the match in May will live up to this billing!

Also, the EDS squad are managed by Patrick Vieira.

Edited by Falastur

Their biggest stars, including Sergio Augero, David Villa, Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure, will be in World Cup mode with their respective nations ahead of the globe's biggest sporting event in June in Brazil.

David Villa lol that should be David Silva!!!!

It took the British press three years to get that consistently right. It's only natural that the Australian press should take ages to realise too.

Made me laugh seeing that again. I don't understand how so many people constantly make this mistake, they are two completely different players and their second names aren't exactly alike. They have the same first name, but so do lots of players, so I find it really confusing how this exact same mistake always happens!

By the way on the "citeh" bit, I dunno if it used to bother fans in the beginning but I don't mind being referred to as that anymore. I'm beginning to kinda like it even, not sure why. 

Yes, full ownership in 2020, meanwhile it's being run by ex-AFL flunkies who regard it as an AFL stadium

I know the main guy in charge loves victory or something and has been bringing in the sides free of charge. Costs $30,000 a game or something. Doubt they would during AFL season though. Although if eithad is the main sponsor and really want to promote Man City and there name they might.

Apparently Etihad is so badly designed that large areas of the stadium grass get very little natural light and the grass has to be replaced regularly, even with artificial lights. The grass suffers even more with the sides of the stadium pushed in to make it rectangular so Etihad management have been very reluctant to do it and until this year have charged exorbitantly to do so.

Apparently Etihad is so badly designed that large areas of the stadium grass get very little natural light and the grass has to be replaced regularly, even with artificial lights. The grass suffers even more with the sides of the stadium pushed in to make it rectangular so Etihad management have been very reluctant to do it and until this year have charged exorbitantly to do so.

It's not the stadium it's self it's it's orrientation. When docklands was developed they carved it up and let private developers plan their own little precincts and because of this it was built north south facing and therefore minimal sunlight. Basically they built it the wrong way round

I'm really glad somebody posted a link to this forum from Bluemoon site, great reading so far and if our sister clubs come together for a friendly I'm keen as mustard to show my support. Distance is an issue and I said to the missus, next jaunt to Melbourne we should stop for a while, fantastic City is Melbourne, craps on Sydney IMO.

Anyway if any of you lot are ever in Manchester and get yourself a ticket for a match, let's us blues know and I'm sure we could sort out a bit of get together pre and post match for drinks.

Toasting MHFC / MCFC.

• Like 2

Yes, full ownership in 2020, meanwhile it's being run by ex-AFL flunkies who regard it as an AFL stadium

I know the main guy in charge loves victory or something and has been bringing in the sides free of charge. Costs $30,000 a game or something. Doubt they would during AFL season though. Although if eithad is the main sponsor and really want to promote Man City and there name they might.

I read that the real cost is actually around $1m. There is damage to the turf where the rails are laid (on which the seats are moved forward), bridges have to be installed so that people can get to their seats, and some 6,000-8,000 seats are lost and can't be sold in the corners of the stadium. The costs of the rearrangement are borne by the hirer, not the owner of the stadium. If the stadium is going to be anywhere near sold out then the hirer (usually a promoter) doesn't want to forego the revenue.

And still you get a crappy view because the incline of the seats is too shallow.

Stick with AAMI Park and get a sell-out and a blockbuster experience for everyone.

If the time ever comes to leave the AAMI, it's not outside the bounds of possibility that a new stadium could be constructed completely. One is going to be built in NYC (if the community wrangles can ever be sorted out :/ ) for NYCFC, and I'd bet it's far cheaper to build in Melbourne than the centre of New York.

If the time ever comes to leave the AAMI, it's not outside the bounds of possibility that a new stadium could be constructed completely. One is going to be built in NYC (if the community wrangles can ever be sorted out :/ ) for NYCFC, and I'd bet it's far cheaper to build in Melbourne than the centre of New York.

You'd be suprised

I went to watch the New York Red Bulls play in 2010 and I remember thinking how cheaply made their stadium was. Their stand on the upper level seemed to be what a 'temporary' stand would feel like and I'm pretty sure instead of individual seats they used aluminium benches with painted on lines to separate the seats. I think capacity is around 25k so it would've been around half as much to build as AAMI Park I reckon.

The difference with the MLS and A-League is that MLS clubs have their own stadiums! They might be out in whoop whoop a la LA Galaxy's being an hour out of Downtown LA, but at least the club has control of everything to do with running the stadium.

Being Melbourne Heart/City - we'd need a stadium very close to the city centre I'd imagine...good luck getting approval from the state government!

When Etihad was built in 2000 they had a contract with the government that no other stadium in Melbourne could have been built bigger than 20k capacity. AAMI Park opened in May 2010 with a 30k capacity, but I'm not sure if they have any similar contract with the government as Etihad did.

The funny thing is that AAMI Park has the foundations to hold a 60k seater stadium, however it'll cost more to remove the roof, build on top and put the roof back on than it will cost to build a new 60k capacity stadium! I think it was absolutely RIDICULOUS that they didn't make it big enough to meet FIFA WC standards (40k minimum) to begin with.

Anyway....

Geek time from me to add to this Bela (and have read Dylan above too).

I actually got to meet by total chance one of the chief architects of AAMI park through my brother in law and had a long conversation with him about the ground. As queried above the inevitable budget cuts in construction led to reduced capacity and scrimping on aesthetics such as having the lights rise and glide over the outside domes to give a decorative effect. But I digress.

The chap who designed it said the main problem with Etihad is that there is very little airflow over the playing surface meaning the grass almost rots or moulds. Coupled with poor sunlight the combination is shocking for any chance of normal grass growth with poor evaporation. Whilst the domes at AAMI park may look ok, they are specifically designed to catch any prevailing wind and corral it into a wind current about a metre high flowing over the playing surface. This means healthy air is flowing over the surface regularly but it doesn't feel overly gusty in the rest of the stadium. The time and engineering calculations that went into this were apparently significant but we luckily see the benefits every other week. I was impressed they went to the effort to study what went wrong at Erihad and came up with a pretty clever solution.

I love AAMI park and passed on how impressed I was with the ground. The surprise to me was that, having put so much time and research into designing the ground, he said he'd never been to a match there of any description. The gap between the initial design and realization was too great to witness!!

I actually got to meet by total chance one of the chief architects of AAMI park through my brother in law and had a long conversation with him about the ground. As queried above the inevitable budget cuts in construction led to reduced capacity and scrimping on aesthetics such as having the lights rise and glide over the outside domes to give a decorative effect. But I digress.

The chap who designed it said the main problem with Etihad is that there is very little airflow over the playing surface meaning the grass almost rots or moulds. Coupled with poor sunlight the combination is shocking for any chance of normal grass growth with poor evaporation. Whilst the domes at AAMI park may look ok, they are specifically designed to catch any prevailing wind and corral it into a wind current about a metre high flowing over the playing surface. This means healthy air is flowing over the surface regularly but it doesn't feel overly gusty in the rest of the stadium. The time and engineering calculations that went into this were apparently significant but we luckily see the benefits every other week. I was impressed they went to the effort to study what went wrong at Erihad and came up with a pretty clever solution.

I love AAMI park and passed on how impressed I was with the ground. The surprise to me was that, having put so much time and research into designing the ground, he said he'd never been to a match there of any description. The gap between the initial design and realization was too great to witness!!

That must be why I am always freezing at AAMI park. That or Melbourne is always freezing.

• Like 1

Defib. As a home gardener thanks for explaining to me (at last!) why all those shitty townhouses that are being built these days with postage stamp gardens can never actually grow anything! Brilliant.This has to be one of the best football forums ever.

And between Storm and Heart surely we can give the AAMI architect an honorary membership?

• Like 1

Just out of curiousity, why are the seats in AAMI Park Going from green to beige?

I think because green is a generic colour. Four clubs share the ground. Vicscum are blue and white, Rebels(union) blue? Storm(league) purple and us that are red and white.

We also have the smallest fan base I think and get treated like crap from the people that run the stadium.

Edited by tigerou812

Would have preferred for the match to be in August, rather than when 80%+ of City's first team will be in full World Cup preparation mode. Of course I'll be there regardless. I'm very close friends with a family of City supporters and adopted them as my team in the early 00s. Once they became a powerhouse, I sort of dropped off them a little bit, as I prefer to support an underdog in the EPL, but I've always had a soft spot for MCFC.

When do Heart memberships go on sale for the following season? They'd be missing a trick if they didn't try to tie in sign ups with a discount for this game (and discounted games/joint memberships for Heart/Storm as well, but that's another matter). Our membership numbers would skyrocket if a few of these cross promotions were explored, combined with the momentum of City's involvement with the club in general.

Memberships went on sale June 5th 2013 with the season kicking off on October 11th.

Hmmm...May's not great timing then.

Oh well...

I don't know about others, but I felt at the time that was far too early to start memberships. We hardly had a squad at that stage. Just from the football side of things I would have thought August is quite early enough to start the membership drive. An early-bird discount tied in with the City game would also be good.

• Like 1

Defib. As a home gardener thanks for explaining to me (at last!) why all those shitty townhouses that are being built these days with postage stamp gardens can never actually grow anything! Brilliant.This has to be one of the best football forums ever.

And between Storm and Heart surely we can give the AAMI architect an honorary membership?

I resent that, I have a very nice postage stamp garden. All comes down to plant selection ;)

It will be interesting to see whether the membership prices increase or decrease with our new owners, hopefully they go down considering our man city friends have a heaps of cash and also that way we should get a couple more members on board then what we did this season

I'd expect them to stay the same for a few seasons at least. Enough outrage is being caused with rumours about names and colours. Imagine how pissed off people would be when cashed up city raises prices !! The pitch forks would be out !!

Edited by thedukeofhearts

It will be interesting to see whether the membership prices increase or decrease with our new owners, hopefully they go down considering our man city friends have a heaps of cash and also that way we should get a couple more members on board then what we did this season

That would be a ballsy move by them, considering a) the numbers we have currently got; and b ) the performances of the team (which, while they have improved, still look likely to earn us the bottom spot on the ladder and odds-on for a second consecutive bottom-two finish). Should we make the improvement that most are expecting next season, 2015/16 will probably be another story. Leave the prices the same for next season, to get the now-expected excellent numbers of retention and new sign-ups (given the team's struggles), reward their faith by producing next year and then jack up the prices a bit for the 2015/16 season, would have been the course to travel, I would have thought.

Edited by SF33

I think that we deserve a loyalty discount for gritting our teeth and hanging in there through the Aloisi era. An added discount for that class of fan who demanded excellence through the form of a silent protest

Memberships went on sale June 5th 2013 with the season kicking off on October 11th.

Hmmm...May's not great timing then.

Oh well...

I don't know about others, but I felt at the time that was far too early to start memberships. We hardly had a squad at that stage. Just from the football side of things I would have thought August is quite early enough to start the membership drive. An early-bird discount tied in with the City game would also be good.

Agreed. I think sporting clubs that start flogging memberships before the ins and outs have been pretty much finalised and before the fixture has been released are usually just being greedy and/or keen to get in a dick measuring contest to say they've got X amount of members by <date in the preseason>.

I´d worry about higher prices when you lot start worrying about getting a ticket at all.. So much easier to increase revenue by attracting people to watch games at this stage eh?

Yep, the old supply/demand concept. I think it would be ridiculous for them to even entertain the prospect of prices being raised, until we get enough through the gate that we actually have people sitting on the top level for non-derby games at AAMI.

I think that we deserve a loyalty discount for gritting our teeth and hanging in there through the Aloisi era. An added discount for that class of fan who demanded excellence through the form of a silent protest

Think you're on to something here Bela.  Membership is scanned as you go in the gate.  it would be relatively easy for the club to give you an "Aloisi Discount".  That is a certain amount off for each game you attended whilst he was doing whatever it was he was doing!