Melbourne Football

What jerseys colours do we favour next season irrespective of the franchise name?

belaguttman

Club colours from next season?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What colours do we want to play in from next season irrespective of the franchise name?

• Red & White - same home jersey and away jersey designs
    • Red & White but new home jersey and away jersey designs
    • change of colours home and away
    • different home colours but red and white away colours
    • Red & White home jersey but different away colours

One of the many problems up until now is that our owners had been running Heart on a shoestring budget and locating our training base out in Bundoora (La Trobe University grounds out in the sticks) or Epping (where we currently train) out in the bush! I'm really hoping with our new wealthy owners we build a training base in the heart of the city which will be easily accessible by all Melburnians  :wub:

Pardon a clueless Pom if you would, and could you please explain the difference between the sticks and the bush? I thought they were both terms for being out in the countryside?

Ha! Yeah it's pretty much the same thing, I just wanted to use a different noun.

To the Melburnian's disputing that Epping is not the sticks, I wasn't talking about the 'suburb' itself, I was talking about our training base location! Have you been to Epping Stadium? I went once for the "Youth Derby" a couple of weeks ago and not only did it take me an hour from Chadstone on a lazy Sunday afternoon (so less traffic), but it is basically on the edge of suburbia - apart from a few new estates, there isn't much else around there! So yeah, for someone who lives in Southbank, that to me is the sticks/bush and too far to ever travel out to again!

Hence why I cannot wait for our new owners to come through with the goods and build us a training base in (the vicinity of) the 'city' :-)

The colour of money

January 26, 2014

Michael Lynch

Everything is up for grabs at Melbourne Heart following the club's takeover by Manchester City.

And that could lead to spirited debate within sections of the small but loyal band of Heart regulars who might want to keep its traditional name and colours, and the non-committed and those who would be attracted to a completely reinvented club, particularly if it drew heavily on the branding and identity of the wealthiest soccer team in the world.

Speculation is rife that Heart will change its colours to sky blue, City's strip, and its name to Melbourne City FC, so its initials will be the same as its owners.

That would certainly please the Australian branch of the Manchester City supporters club, who are ready to throw their lot in with Heart - as long as they do not play in the red colours of City's hated Manchester rival, United.

Most Heart fans will be happy to go with the changes if it means their club is solvent, settled and able to build an identity for itself, even if it won't quite be the team they have been following through the mainly thin years since its inception.

But a handful have expressed concerns, saying they would prefer to continue in the red and white stripes that so differentiated them from Melbourne Victory, up to now the city's powerhouse club.

For City supporters Down Under the strip is non-negotiable.

Alan Howarth was a season ticket-holder at Maine Road and the City of Manchester Stadium before moving to Australia, and is secretary of the Melbourne Manchester City Supporters Club.

He is adamant what must happen for Heart to win the affections of City supporters: "I am not sure if the true Manchester City fans will support Heart playing in red. We all know who that reminds them of.

"Melbourne Heart may have to change their name to Melbourne City and also change their colours away from red.''

The sales director of a technology, sales and executive recruitment company, Howarth is excited by the prospects of the UAE owners doing for Heart what they have done for City. ''The club has totally transformed from a big club into a massive global brand within five years. They are now one of the best clubs in Europe and still getting stronger.

''What this means for Melbourne Heart FC is the club will grow off and on the pitch, quickly transforming them as a business and as a club.

''They will have the best ground, training and best brand of any Australian football team. Melbourne sporting culture will be enhanced, which in itself is a good thing.''

One potential colour solution Howarth and City fans propose is to play in City's second colours, which are the red and black stripes synonymous with AC Milan.

The debate over identity and colours, which might seem superficial for a team with such little history, is still an important one. There are many examples of new owners taking over clubs, riding roughshod over supporters' wishes and the club's tradition, and then leaving.

While that is not likely in City's case, it is an issue Heart's diehards are entitled to be consulted about.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/the-colour-of-money-20140125-31fq0.html

Edited by Murfy1

The colour of money

January 26, 2014

Michael Lynch

Everything is up for grabs at Melbourne Heart following the club's takeover by Manchester City.

And that could lead to spirited debate within sections of the small but loyal band of Heart regulars who might want to keep its traditional name and colours, and the non-committed and those who would be attracted to a completely reinvented club, particularly if it drew heavily on the branding and identity of the wealthiest soccer team in the world.

Speculation is rife that Heart will change its colours to sky blue, City's strip, and its name to Melbourne City FC, so its initials will be the same as its owners.

That would certainly please the Australian branch of the Manchester City supporters club, who are ready to throw their lot in with Heart - as long as they do not play in the red colours of City's hated Manchester rival, United.

Most Heart fans will be happy to go with the changes if it means their club is solvent, settled and able to build an identity for itself, even if it won't quite be the team they have been following through the mainly thin years since its inception.

But a handful have expressed concerns, saying they would prefer to continue in the red and white stripes that so differentiated them from Melbourne Victory, up to now the city's powerhouse club.

Alan Howarth was a season ticket-holder at Maine Road and the City of Manchester Stadium before moving to Australia, and is secretary of the Melbourne Manchester City Supporters Club.

He is adamant what must happen for Heart to win the affections of City supporters: "I am not sure if the true Manchester City fans will support Heart playing in red. We all know who that reminds them of.

"Melbourne Heart may have to change their name to Melbourne City and also change their colours away from red.''

The sales director of a technology, sales and executive recruitment company, Howarth is excited by the prospects of the UAE owners doing for Heart what they have done for City. ''The club has totally transformed from a big club into a massive global brand within five years. They are now one of the best clubs in Europe and still getting stronger.

''What this means for Melbourne Heart FC is the club will grow off and on the pitch, quickly transforming them as a business and as a club.

''They will have the best ground, training and best brand of any Australian football team. Melbourne sporting culture will be enhanced, which in itself is a good thing.''

One potential colour solution Howarth and City fans propose is to play in City's second colours, which are the red and black stripes synonymous with AC Milan.

The debate over identity and colours, which might seem superficial for a team with such little history, is still an important one. There are many examples of new owners taking over clubs, riding roughshod over supporters' wishes and the club's tradition, and then leaving.

While that is not likely in City's case, it is an issue Heart's diehards are entitled to be consulted about.

Where do these guys get their facts?

Every Heart fan I've interacted with (Bar 1 or 2 on this forum) have stated they want to continue in Red & White. I know we'll likely be consulted but the media putting shit like that into circulation is poor in my opinion.

Does Alan Howart post here?

If so Alan, sorry mate but it's time to get off your high horse and childish thoughts. You won't follow us unless we are sky blue?

No bother, we won't have ya.

There is two non negotiables that I will fight for. It's quite simple really and not too much to ask. We keep the name Melbourne. You can change it to Melbourne City FC that does not bother me. But we must keep our colours. Melbourne is Red and White.

Alan, if you love the sky blue only then I can point you to another team in the A League to follow. Sydney FC. Love Blue but want to support your states team well go the darker blue of Victory. But you demanding the change of colours to alter your support is a bit rich.

Who the fuck are you?

• Like 3

If so Alan, sorry mate but it's time to get off your high horse and childish thoughts. You won't follow us unless we are sky blue?

There is two non negotiables that I will fight for. It's quite simple really and not too much to ask. We keep the name Melbourne. You can change it to Melbourne City FC that does not bother me. But we must keep our colours. Melbourne is Red and White.

Alan, if you love the sky blue only then I can point you to another team in the A League to follow. Sydney FC. Love Blue but want to support your states team well go the darker blue of Victory. But you demanding the change of colours to alter your support is a bit rich.

Who the fuck are you?

The funny thing about his comments is that we seem to be getting heaps of support from Man City fans already who are also happy/keen for us to keep our red & white colours, so it seems to me than Alan speaks for Alan, and if Alan wants to support the Victory or Sydney FC then he can do so.

Every Heart fan I've interacted with (Bar 1 or 2 on this forum) have stated they want to continue in Red & White. I know we'll likely be consulted but the media putting shit like that into circulation is poor in my opinion.

Maybe someone who is on twitter can point that out to Lynchy.

Edited by Rellum

The colour of money

January 26, 2014

Michael Lynch

This idiot had an article yesterday about how it's already determined that we are changing this and that when the owners said nothing of the sort. Provides no quotes or anything. Just makes big statements. Pisses me off. As a 'journo' you don't get to just say #believe me tag without some facts !!!

Open to Melbourne City FC name.. Not Melbourne City Heart though its a bit much..

Red and white home Kit.. do whatever u want with away and 3rd stripe... sky blue whatever

A new logo i could also deal with.. mayb with a little heart in there or something so we can still nickname ourselves the heart like Man Utd calls themselves "the red devils" although its nothing offical

hopefully they get rid of Kappa give us some proper collars ffs

I like your nickname Heart, Heart of the City and all that, Man City's nick name is the Citizens, Citizens of Manchester. Similar vein me thinks. For me an outsider, granted, love the fact we will have the same initials MCFC going forward.

As for colours I get it, I couldn't face my City never playing in sky blue again so doubt you'll be pushed too far on that topic. What I hope will happen over the years is you will adopt the famous Man City blue in some guise of other even if it just your away strip.

PS obviously not going to vote on the poll

Edited by mcfc 68

Who the fuck are you?

+1

Line for line

Lynchy doesn't seem to put in that much effort nowadays to do his research. It looks like he just did one phonecall, then typed the above article.

To his credit, he does write that the debate about Heart's colours and identity is 'an important one'.

But if he did the slightest research, he would have realised that Heart supporters overwhelmingly want the club to remain Red and White. As our straw poll shows, 162 supporters want Heart's primary colours to be red and white, and only 4 want a change in colours. So for every 1 supporter that would like the colours to change, there are 40 supporters that want this club to remain red and white. Over 97.50% want Red and White.

Also, I don't know why the guy in the article is so stubborn. He effectively wants 2 Manchester Citys, two MCFC in sky blue teams that are owned and run by the same consortium. Why would anyone want a clone of the club they currently support? Isn't their club enough, why would they want an exact copy?

It doesn't really matter what he thinks, though, because Lynchy's underlying assumption is wrong. The new owners don't want to build a club in Melbourne that would primarily be of interest to Man City supporters. They want the club to have as wide an appeal as possible. Man City CEO Ferran Soriano stressed that this club will be something that's appealing to everyone, whether they support Mancester City, Manchester United or Bayern Munich. Okay, maybe he's being a little optimistic with United supporters, but his overall point is that he wants people to support this club because of the qualities of this club, and not because of the qualities or characteristics of Man City.

I firmly believe sense will prevail, and I think enough statements from Soriano and co. suggest that it will. It's primarily the football ignorant Australian media that's been stirring up the idea that the new ownership are dead set on sky blue, when in fact they've stressed that they will listen and they want this club to be 'rooted and developed for the Melbourne fans'. All this means that sense will prevail, and this Melbourne club is certain to remain Red and White.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Who the fuck are you?

I think what I've seen of City fans posting here and on our forum, about the same amount are insisting on you keeping your colours as your fans insisting on keeping the name, that is to say they're far in the minority. (In case anyone reads that the wrong way - that's not me advocating the name change, because I'd kind of like to see you keep it; I'm just using a simple stat). The vast majority of us are happy that you are not wearing all red with white shorts, and consequently are willing to accept your current kit. I'd advise that you simply ignore any comments you see about City fans insisting on the change. It's not their decision to make, it's yours, and I'll be happy to shout down any City fan who posts differently on the Bluemoon forum, though that doesn't appear to be necessary right now.

Far more likely it's just the press doing what they do best - trying to create anger and conflict, because it sells more papers. It's a bit like when the Guardian rolls out David Conn (a journo-City fan) to try to preach to us about how our club sold out its soul when Mansour bought the club. Just because he has a voice in the media, doesn't mean he speaks for the masses.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

Lynchy doesn't seem to put in that much effort nowadays to do his research. It looks like he just did one phonecall, then typed the above article.

To his credit, he does write that the debate about Heart's colours and identity is 'an important one'.

But if he did the slightest research, he would have realised that Heart supporters overwhelmingly want the club to remain Red and White. As our straw poll shows, 162 supporters want Heart's primary colours to be red and white, and only 4 want a change in colours. So for every 1 supporter that would like the colours to change, there are 40 supporters that want this club to remain red and white. Over 97.50% want Red and White.

Also, I don't know why the guy in the article is so stubborn. He effectively wants 2 Manchester Citys, two MCFC in sky blue teams that are owned and run by the same consortium. Why would anyone want a clone of the club they currently support? Isn't their club enough, why would they want an exact copy?

It doesn't really matter what he thinks, though, because Lynchy's underlying assumption is wrong. The new owners don't want to build a club in Melbourne that would primarily be of interest to Man City supporters. They want the club to have as wide an appeal as possible. Man City CEO Ferran Soriano stressed that this club will be something that's appealing to everyone, whether they support Mancester City, Manchester United or Bayern Munich. Okay, maybe he's being a little optimistic with United supporters, but his overall point is that he wants people to support this club because of the qualities of this club, and not because of the qualities or characteristics of Man City.

I firmly believe sense will prevail, and I think enough statements from Soriano and co. suggest that it will. It's primarily the football ignorant Australian media that's been stirring up the idea that the new ownership are dead set on sky blue, when in fact they've stressed that they will listen and they want this club to be 'rooted and developed for the Melbourne fans'. All this means that sense will prevail, and this Melbourne club is certain to remain Red and White.

Not just our pole but all over fb etc. out off all the people I know at games, there's a good amount, only a couple actually use this forum and they all want red and white. I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat. It pisses me off some of the shit the media write. They simply make shit up !!

This just sounds like the media trying to stir up a story.  "Speculation is rife" is just that, speculation.  To say that the reason the name may be changed is "so its initials will be the same as its owners" just shows the risibly poor quaity of the reporting.

Mr Alan Howarth is then selected to speak on behalf of not just all City supporters in Melbourne but all city supporters in Australia.  Honestly what a load of pugwash.  Basically, the issue has got nothing to do with City supporters in Melbourne, Australia or anywhere.

Two things you must remember: City, like any other club, has its fair share of ignorant, bigotted, small-minded, unimaginative, self-centred twats; and, secondly, not everyone on forums (or appearing in the media) who purports to be a City fan is actually a City fan - you will no doubt come across some here or on Bluemoon, along with the windup and just plain insensitive City fans.

Edited by oeokosko

One reason to keep the red and white kit, is to stick it up smfc and the tards. They are awefully jealous, saying things like -

'MCFC only bought into Heart as a marketing tool for MCFC, they will change the name and strip and make it minie MCFC'

'RIP Melbourne Heart'

'City Group will only tokenly listen, then do their own thing'

While I don't mind if we can in any way grow the City brand, I mean we are a part of it now. It would be a big Up Yours to the bitters and show how brilliant City Group is.

Anyway, my 2c.

I might add that there are fans in Manchester not entirely happy about the prospect of their colours/badge/whatever being used outside Manchester.. This New York/Melbourne thingy is a bit outlandish to them and they are adamant that other teams should get their own stuff

Who the fuck are you?

I think what I've seen of City fans posting here and on our forum, about the same amount are insisting on you keeping your colours as your fans insisting on keeping the name, that is to say they're far in the minority. (In case anyone reads that the wrong way - that's not me advocating the name change, because I'd kind of like to see you keep it; I'm just using a simple stat). The vast majority of us are happy that you are not wearing all red with white shorts, and consequently are willing to accept your current kit. I'd advise that you simply ignore any comments you see about City fans insisting on the change. It's not their decision to make, it's yours, and I'll be happy to shout down any City fan who posts differently on the Bluemoon forum, though that doesn't appear to be necessary right now.

Far more likely it's just the press doing what they do best - trying to create anger and conflict, because it sells more papers. It's a bit like when the Guardian rolls out David Conn (a journo-City fan) to try to preach to us about how our club sold out its soul when Mansour bought the club. Just because he has a voice in the media, doesn't mean he speaks for the masses.

BIG LIKE. Strewth we need more likes

• Like 1

Wait - 

So this guy wont wear Red and White

but is happy to Red and Black?

Red and white (well, red shirt, white shorts) are rag (United) colours to City fans. Red and black might have been more controversial, except that it has history - in the 1960s/70s, Malcolm Allison introduced red/black stripes in what was essentially a total copy of AC Milan's kit, in the hope that it would inspire success in European competition (which we had just entered for the first time). The kit might have gone down as an unpopular failure except that it just so happened that it completely coincided with Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison turning us briefly into one of the best teams in England, winning six major trophies in eight seasons, and that era is so popular (most City fans still refuse to say that half our current team are good enough to get into Joe Mercer's side) that the red and black has become a huge crowd favourite.

It's similar to the way that our away kit in 1998-99 is absolutely hideous - navy blue and luminescent yellow stripes - but because we won the Division Two Play-off Final in it in incredible circumstances, it's one of our favourite kits of all time.

Edited by Falastur

I think you guys have missed my point.

He says he doesnt want to wear/support Red, but Red and Black is supposedly fine... ?

I can see how some of you wouldnt want to support a team that wears red, even though i support a couple of teams in Blue...

ie. Italian National Team, Pescara Calcio...

i would like a bat to be incorporated onto the new logo.

but home kit must stay the same.

that's the kind of stuff that needs to be said to the club when they ask.

Make sure everyone makes their own voice heard! It's the biggest thing to ever happen to the clubYou're having a fucking laugh yeah.

Who gives a fuck what Man U wear we're red and white and thats how it should always be.

Edited by Boffins
  • Like 2

Make sure everyone makes their own voice heard! It's the biggest thing to ever happen to the club

You're having a fucking laugh yeah.

:droy: where does it say that ive agreed with it mate? I simply said, make sure your own voice is heard.

Make sure everyone makes their own voice heard! It's the biggest thing to ever happen to the club You're having a fucking laugh yeah.

:droy: where does it say that ive agreed with it mate? I simply said, make sure your own voice is heard.

Fucking awful

Make sure everyone makes their own voice heard! It's the biggest thing to ever happen to the club You're having a fucking laugh yeah. :droy: where does it say that ive agreed with it mate? I simply said, make sure your own voice is heard.

Fucking awful

i totally agree! ahaha

Who the fuck are you?

Cheers mate.

It goes with out saying my post was directed at Alan not all Man City fans who have been sensational in their views and thoughts to us. It's just this morons quotes got me riled up.

We are only a young club with a small but passionate fan base. But these colours mean everything to me and the rest of us.

That's a big thing for me being a Newcastle United fan and having a team wearing red and white stripes. But I'm mature enough to know and realise the significance of the colours. Victory have the state colours and emblem. We have the cities colours. It has to remain. No ifs, buts or maybes.

Non negotiable. We are getting taken over and it needed to occur and I thank the owners of City for this, but we will always be the Red and Whites of Melbourne and the Heart of this city.

• Like 1

My two cents worth. The people who will be watching the club at home will be majority Heart fans and a sprinkling of City fans (hardly any in Melbourne). With that in mind we really should keep our red and white colours to appease our supporters. AAMI Park will have so much Man City slogans slapped all over the place I'm sure we wont forget who owns us. When we are away in Australia and Asia we can wear a full Man City kit for all I care, works well for City too as their brand is spread across the globe that bit more outside of Melbourne. 

Lynchy's article has been getting a response:

Michael Lynch@MickLynch_Age7 mins

Good to see so many Heart fans coming out over name and colours _ and wound up by Man City fan club....

But I'm not sure he understands that a name change doesn't seem to be very controversial. The general attitude to name on the one hand, and colours on the other looks pretty different to me.

Lynchy's article has been getting a response:

Michael Lynch@MickLynch_Age7 mins

Good to see so many Heart fans coming out over name and colours _ and wound up by Man City fan club....

But I'm not sure he understands that a name change doesn't seem to be very controversial. The general attitude to name on the one hand, and colours on the other looks pretty different to me.

Where is he getting that from. Facebook and twitter seem a little less definitive than this forum but the general feeling is still ok with the name change not so with the colours. He really needs to at least try and talk to the actual fans.

Wanted to throw my opinion in as well.

About me (briefly) - Born in Manchester, I have supported City all my life, now living in The 'Gong. Supported the Wollongong Wolves in the NSL. No affiliation with any A-league team since it formed, tried to like Sydney FC, couldn't do it.

I was originally hoping that a new playing kit of sky blue would be adopted by you guys but after reading several threads on here I'm now very sure that would be a terrible decision and I now really hope that the red & white remains.

If sky blue is to be used it should only be the away (or 3rd kit) I do however like the idea of the blue shorts a la Atletico Madrid but that's just my opinion.

As far as our owners go, they have listened to what City fans wanted, especially regarding history and tradition, and i don't know of one City fan who is unhappy with what they have done, so I imagine that Melbourne Heart fans will soon realise what our owners are about.

I do hope the club is rebranded as Melbourne City FC though, although the "Heart of the City" does have a certain ring to it and could surely be incorporated onto any possible new badge as a club/fans motto ?

btw, the pillock who says he wont go to games if the team plays in red is definitely not speaking for the majority of us as City have worn red(and black) for decades 

Edited by MaineRoad
  • Like 2

Incidentally, how would Heart fans feel about a specific competition strip for playing in Asia?  (which would include some home games obviously, and might mean a change in that specific competition from red and white).  I assume maximum TV exposure would be gained during those matches, and it could well be an objective of the new owners to eventually do well in that competition.  Is that something that could be tolerated?

Incidentally, how would Heart fans feel about a specific competition strip for playing in Asia?  (which would include some home games obviously, and might mean a change in that specific competition from red and white).  I assume maximum TV exposure would be gained during those matches, and it could well be an objective of the new owners to eventually do well in that competition.  Is that something that could be tolerated?

I am fine with that. Most clubs play in different colours during Continental competitions anyway. This includes A-League clubs. For example, Central Coast normally wear yellow, but they played in pink during the ACL last year.

To be honest I would like to keep our colours for all competitions. But if anyone follows cycling if the rider has been a world/national champion at some stage they have the colours on the ends of their sleeves. We could keep our colours but on both or just one sleeve have sky blue and white piping. Shows you who we are and they get some exposure as us being part of the family so to speak. 

The colour of money

January 26, 2014

Michael Lynch

That would certainly please the Australian branch of the Manchester City supporters club, who are ready to throw their lot in with Heart - as long as they do not play in the red colours of City's hated Manchester rival, United. - WRONG

Most Heart fans will be happy to go with the changes WRONG if it means their club is solvent, settled and able to build an identity for itself, even if it won't quite be the team they have been following through the mainly thin years since its inception.

But a handful WRONG have expressed concerns, saying they would prefer to continue in the red and white stripes that so differentiated them from Melbourne Victory, up to now the city's powerhouse club.

For City supporters Down Under the strip is non-negotiable. WRONG!?

What a load of bullocks! This guy is full of shit!