Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

Woolworths Chilli Barbeque, would give Tomato Sauce a run for its money in my all time favourite sauce. Same goes for Masterfoods Spicy Red.

Was going to post this but doubted anyone had heard of it before. Never even looked at Tomato Sauce since I found this gold.

UOTIH: AFL State of Origin should never be brought back.

Please explain? I reckon these days with there being 2 teams in each state(exc, NT, ACT and Tas) there might be more of a market. Rugby League SOA seems to be more popular than the Rugby League Grand Final.

I used to go to AFL State of Origin as kid and I can still remember the hollow feeling I used get at the games due them being worth nothing...

I also sometimes think its so big in Rugby League because its easier for the slack sports watchers in NSW to be commited to the three games the State team plays as opposed to the whole season that a NRL team plays.

Edited by cadete

Please explain? I reckon these days with there being 2 teams in each state(exc, NT, ACT and Tas) there might be more of a market. Rugby League SOA seems to be more popular than the Rugby League Grand Final.

I used to go to AFL State of Origin as kid and I can still remember the hollow feeling I used get at the games due them being worth nothing...

I also sometimes think its so big in Rugby League because its easier for the slack sports watchers in NSW to be commited to the three games the State team plays as opposed to the whole season that a NRL team plays. Worth nothing? Do you not have any hatred towards our south australian fucktard neighbours?

The ultimate prize at stake- bragging rights.

Youre tripping heartinhobart, bring it back.

Please explain? I reckon these days with there being 2 teams in each state(exc, NT, ACT and Tas) there might be more of a market. Rugby League SOA seems to be more popular than the Rugby League Grand Final. I used to go to AFL State of Origin as kid and I can still remember the hollow feeling I used get at the games due them being worth nothing...

I also sometimes think its so big in Rugby League because its easier for the slack sports watchers in NSW to be commited to the three games the State team plays as opposed to the whole season that a NRL team plays. Worth nothing? Do you not have any hatred towards our south australian fucktard neighbours?

The ultimate prize at stake- bragging rights.

Youre tripping heartinhobart, bring it back.

As many on here can testify to I have more hatred towards South Australians than most...

But the simple fact that South Australian's and West Australian's already devote all of their spare time to watching our Football League is enough of a verification of how insuperior they are to us. :up:

Firstly, I don't think it can work because the clubs control the game these days. I think any slight niggle and the best players won't be on the park.

State of Origin works well in the NRL because more than 95% of Australian players are from either one of those 2 states. Whereas the AFL has a much broader recruitment.

The hatred argument can only stretch so far. As I'm sure Baz and Cad will attest. If the Vic's play SA there will be no hatred towards either Enright or Mackie.

In saying that I wish I was old enough to remember the day when 20,000 packed into North Hobart Oval in 1990 to see Tasmania beat The Vic's. :up:

Id hate for any Freo players to risk themselves in a nothing game, and unlike other West Australians I dont have a hatred for Viccos or carry much/any state pride.

SOO belongs in an era where there wasnt such a national spread of players and where there was genuine curiosity about who had the better players.

Id hate for any Freo players to risk themselves in a nothing game, and unlike other West Australians I dont have a hatred for Viccos or carry much/any state pride.

SOO belongs in an era where there wasnt such a national spread of players and where there was genuine curiosity about who had the better players.

And nor should you....

And nor should you.... Oh no he just didnt!?!?!?

• Like 1

I would love to see State of Origin back and it seems both the majority of fans and players want to see it happen. IMO it can be a great success, but only if its suits four key criteria.

1. It needs to be an annual one off game(s).

2. It needs to be scheduled around this time of year (late May/early June) so that selector have the opportunity to watch 10 rounds of 'form' and also so that its far enough out from finals that injuries aren't on players minds.

3. Each state is represented as itself, none of this Allies bullshit.

4. Teams are playing for something.

I would run the SOO similar to how the Worksafe Vic Country Championships are being run now where as teams are ranked from 1-8 (Vic, SA, WA, Qld, NT, NSW, Tas and ACT) and play their immediate ranking every year. ie 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 5 v 6 and 7 v 8. Each team plays one game every year, with the prize to advance into the above ranking ie the winner of 3 v 4 moves into 2nd place whilst the loser of 1 v 2 moves back to 3rd place.

The ultimate prize is to obviously be the No.1 team and then try to defend that title each year however interest is maintained in the other games by seeing 'who we'll play next year' and moving up the rankings.

As for who plays home or away, the AFL could choose to always have the higher ranked team have the home ground advantage or (my preference) alternate every second game against that opponent. eg if Vic host SA in 2015 and then again in 2019, Vic will play away on the second occasion.

I think it adds theatre as its not just a nothing game because you are playing for a ranking, and its not too long like you would have in a Round Robin/Tournament style game.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I'm basically the same, SOO to me is the equivilant of those bullshit games the a-league does with the a-league allstars vs random european team, i couldn't care less. And if jobe watson was to go down i'd kill someone.

The other angle you have to look at is all the injuries in the AFL, the last thing you want to do is make these people play more games. It's different in the NRL where all you have to do is be big,overweight and run in a straight line so there's less injuries, compared to AFL where you have to be an elite athlete.

Give me more regular season games rather than SOO shit, and before people say 'look at how much of a success it is in the NRL' just remember they still don't have a professional franchise outside of the east coast of Australia. Let them have the one highlight of there sport.

• 2 weeks later...

UOTYH: Breakfast is the best meal of the day to eat out.

And I don't even eat breakfast 95% of days.

Disagree.

Its expensive, cant drink and it fucks with your appetite for the rest of the day.

It's not really more expensive than any other meal eaten out, you still have cheap and more expensive options like everything else.

Don't see how it fucks with your appetite more than eating breakfast at home if you are eating a similar amount.

Can't drink, as in alcohol? That's debatable...

• Like 1

Everywhere Ive gone for breakfast you pay $18 for some not bad toast, slice of bacon thats barely cooked, and some eggs that Mrs Hedaik is more than capable of cooking me instead.I dont like mushroom by itself and screw eating half chunk a tomato. Much better value spending that money on a large pizza, burger, parma or something else that goes beyond what you can cook for yourself.

As far as appetite goes, Im not a big eater so if I have a big meal in the morning or lunch then I have nothing to look forward to for the evening.  

• Like 1

Everywhere Ive gone for breakfast you pay $18 for some not bad toast, slice of bacon thats barely cooked, and some eggs that Mrs Hedaik is more than capable of cooking me instead.I dont like mushroom by itself and screw eating half chunk a tomato. Much better value spending that money on a large pizza, burger, parma or something else that goes beyond what you can cook for yourself.

As far as appetite goes, Im not a big eater so if I have a big meal in the morning or lunch then I have nothing to look forward to for the evening.  

You're going to the wrong places for breakfast mate.

Also between the two, a big breakfast is a lot healthier for you than a big dinner, regardless of it's content

Also between the two, a big breakfast is a lot healthier for you than a big dinner, regardless of it's content

Then there is the fact that Hediak is taking a very Anglo approach to Breakfast Options... Yum Cha for one can be sensational for Breakfast.

Then there is the fact that Hediak is taking a very Anglo approach to Breakfast Options... Yum Cha for one can be sensational for Breakfast.

I like the idea of yum cha, but Ive never had a good culinary experience at one, even in China. Way too much fried shit in Chinatown. 

Edited by hedaik

I like the idea of yum cha, but Ive never had a good culinary experience at one, even in China. Way too much fried shit in Chinatown. 

That surprising to me because the best I have ever had was at a place in Northbridge... roughly across the road from Russell Square.

And they only fried stuff they did still remains the best fried chicken I have ever eaten.

Also between the two, a big breakfast is a lot healthier for you than a big dinner, regardless of it's contentDebatable. In fact highly debatable. Provide scientific studies proving it or withdraw your claim.

The best you'll be able to come up with is either old and not very good studies, or proof that eating earlier in the day can be somewhat more beneficial to eating more later in the day, but a big lunch can also fall into that, rather than necessarily being a breakfast thing.

Either way, skipping breakfast or dinner will be much more beneficial to your health than anything to do with eating more or less in one than the other.

Oh god I just saw you said regardless of the content. Very incorrect.

Edited by Tesla

That surprising to me because the best I have ever had was at a place in Northbridge... roughly across the road from Russell Square.

And they only fried stuff they did still remains the best fried chicken I have ever eaten.

Don't think I ever ate yum cha in Perth actually. Had a good amount of it here and have always left disappointed. Especially at Shark Fin Inn where I suspect they put all the round eyes at the top level and serve us the crap. 

Don't think I ever ate yum cha in Perth actually. Had a good amount of it here and have always left disappointed. Especially at Shark Fin Inn where I suspect they put all the round eyes at the top level and serve us the crap. 

Yeah - I have never had Yum Cha here as good as it was at that place in Perth.

Also between the two, a big breakfast is a lot healthier for you than a big dinner, regardless of it's content Debatable. In fact highly debatable. Provide scientific studies proving it or withdraw your claim.

The best you'll be able to come up with is either old and not very good studies, or proof that eating earlier in the day can be somewhat more beneficial to eating more later in the day, but a big lunch can also fall into that, rather than necessarily being a breakfast thing.

Either way, skipping breakfast or dinner will be much more beneficial to your health than anything to do with eating more or less in one than the other.

I stand corrected

Interesting how many studies link obesity with skipping breakfast but follow up with no information about the test group's life style that might lead, for example one who often skips breakfast might often not pay close attention to what they eat.

The "regardless of content" bit was because I was under the illusion that the body slows its processing of carbohydrates while you sleep though I can find nothing to corroborate it. It's funny how we can just hear things when we're young and swear blind by them until you take the time to look into it.

On to the more important topic of Yum Cha!

If you're up for the trek out to Preston, Gold Leaf is insane. But inner-city go for Oriental Tea House or Shark Fin House, the former is a bit on the expensive side. Also helps to have a guru or chinese speaker with you who can pick out the choice dishes.

• Like 1

Shark Fin Inn, Keysborough if you're out South East way  :up:

Debatable. In fact highly debatable. Provide scientific studies proving it or withdraw your claim.

I stand corrected

Interesting how many studies link obesity with skipping breakfast but follow up with no information about the test group's life style that might lead, for example one who often skips breakfast might often not pay close attention to what they eat.

The "regardless of content" bit was because I was under the illusion that the body slows its processing of carbohydrates while you sleep though I can find nothing to corroborate it. It's funny how we can just hear things when we're young and swear blind by them until you take the time to look into it.

I was talking more about health directly rather than obesity (which will then of course affect your health), but either the same things I said apply to both OR it applies to one and makes no difference to the other.

I think the BS is especially popular in things to do with diet and weight loss because everyone wants an easy way out, so they'll believe in anything that apparently gives them that (eg dont eat carbs at night, eat every 2 hours, blah blah). At the end of the day, personally, I know I'm fat because I eat a lot of crap and don't do enough exercise, if I ever have the time/will to change that it will be through the one and only scientifically proven (and really the only one that makes sense) method of eating less calories than are burned by your body.

But even beyond that, there is a lot of BS in every area that can become popular because people just hear something and then pass it on. I do it sometimes too even though I know better. Of course, most people don't care enough to spend their time actually looking into something to find out if what they've heard is true, and you can't really blame anyone for that, it's more the passing it on without knowing if it's true that's the problem. It's great for those Mythbusters guys though, so much BS for them to prove wrong, I need to start watching that show.

Coincidently, I know it's not really in the same category as any of the small myths you hear every day, but the reason I don't really care about global warming is because i've never actually looked into it to know if it's real, and since it won't really make a difference to my life knowing about it (since I can't make a difference either way), I probably will never bother looking into it :up:

UOTYH: I don't care about global warming

Edited by Tesla

Then there is the fact that Hediak is taking a very Anglo approach to Breakfast Options... Yum Cha for one can be sensational for Breakfast.

I like the idea of yum cha, but Ive never had a good culinary experience at one, even in China. Way too much fried shit in Chinatown. Ooh let us take you to mrs bt50's fab spot for dumplings. I'm a changed man with my attitude to Chinese food since going there

Also between the two, a big breakfast is a lot healthier for you than a big dinner, regardless of it's content Then there is the fact that Hediak is taking a very Anglo approach to Breakfast Options... Yum Cha for one can be sensational for Breakfast.

I like the idea of yum cha, but Ive never had a good culinary experience at one, even in China. Way too much fried shit in Chinatown. Ooh let us take you to mrs bt50's fab spot for dumplings. I'm a changed man with my attitude to Chinese food since going there

I hope its better than my Fiance's fav spot for Dumplings... because the staff are so incompent that every time I have been to Shanghai Village Dumping I have ended up just getting my own Cutlery.

Haha nah it's a little spot called China Red tucked away on Bourke St. In the mall thingy near JB Hifi.

You order everything on touch screens and its out almost instantly. Perfect for lunch or in a hurry

Edited by bt50

Haha nah it's a little spot called China Red tucked away on Bourke St. In the mall thingy near JB Hifi.

You order everything on touch screens and its out almost instantly. Perfect for lunch or in a hurry

Interesting - I will suggest that the next time the other place is brought up as a dinner option.

Been here a few times with work.. never had dumplings anywhere else so cant compare but my dumpling connoisseur boss enjoys it