Melbourne Football

Who's in our best XI 2013/14

HeartinHobart

IMO there are question marks over a number of our players. For example the capability of Dugandzic, GolGol and Kalmar - and even Williams - to run out a full 95 minutes. The 'right' position for Germano - TBH I'd have much preferred Taseski. The usefulness of retaining Macallister.

Overall IMO there will be a number of selection headaches for JA this season.

someone like kalmar has always struggled with fitness. I rate him very highly and i've always believed one of the main reasons he is inconsistent is his fitness.

If anyone managed to see the interview with Murdocca yesterday posted on the heart FB page, he said that "the main focus this pre-season is going to be fitness"

I think that's a very good start, because as noted last season, if our half time scores were the end result we would have won the league. There's plenty of individual quality on our roster so far, with a few more signings to be made, and if the coaches are able to get every player super fit then we'll have a very good season IMO. It's good that all players will be in training by july, so it gives the coaching staff plenty of time to work with everyone and get everyone on the same page, and i'm pretty confident they can do it.

• Like 1

With currently contracted players:

Redmayne

Walker - Wieleart - Vrankovic - Germano

Gerhardt - Murdocca

Dugandzic - Kewell - Mebrahtu

Williams

Bench: GK - Ramsey - Mauk - Kalmar

Redmayne

Gerhardt - Murdocca

Williams

Hoff?

Redmayne

Gerhardt - Murdocca

Williams

Redmayne

Walker - Wieleart - Gerhardt - Ramsey

Germano - Murdocca

Dugandzic - Gol Gol- Kewell 

Williams

Subs: Kalmar, Hoffman, Vrankovic, Mitchinson 

Edited by millm103

Redmayne

Gerhardt - Murdocca

Williams

Hoff?

Maybe with current contracted player Hoff can sit on the bench as our 2nd keeper. Be as good as he was at DM

No to Kalmar, would rather have mauk or give someone else a go over him, played 2 good games in 4 years.

Kalmar is a quality player, only reason he has been struggling is because of his back in the second season.....

First season did well, as with last season he showed some promising signs 

We're lacking leaders tbh.

This. Since day 1, i cant think of any players that have stood up and taken leadership, something which is so crucial and we have lacked..

if we can sign up a natural leader and someone that sets the example (HOLT)..

Redders

Walker - Weileert - Gerhardt (VC) - Ramsay

Murdocca/Germano - VISA DM

Mate - Kewell - GolGol

Holt ©

This line-up seems deadly....

after the re-signing of Redmayne recently IMO he would be an ideal Captain or Vice Captain.

he might not be up to it, but he could be Captain for the next 5+ years and possibly 10+ if he plays for the club his whole career. 

would prefer a centre half as captain but knowing Vraks will start pushing and possibly demanding a starting spot, and the good first impressions of our new dutch CB, i wonder if even he will be playing DM?

Redmayne

Walker.....vrankovic.....wielaert...(defender)

Gerhardt..........murdocca

Dugandzic..........kewell..............Ramsay

(Marquee)

Need a solid defender on the left hand side, out of garuccio and germano but ideally wouldn't pick either of them for that role if there was another choice. Williams would have to fight Ramsay for that left winger position, and hopefully holt would take up the marquee striker position.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

I'll dive in here, of our current contracted players I would go with this

Redmayne
Walker.....vrankovic.....wielaert...Germano

Gerhardt..........murdocca

Dugandzic..........kewell..............Ramsay 

GolGol

Or alternately push Kewell up front and Kalmar in the Attacking Mid position.

I don't know where this idea of Ramsay playing LB came from but it would be a waste of one of the best youngish attacking wide men in the league, who has never been know for his strong tracking back or defensive efforts. Just because they turned Behich into a LB doesn't mean they can turn every winger into one.

Edited by Rellum

I don't know where this idea of Ramsay playing LB came from but it would be a waste of one of the best youngish attacking wide men in the league, who has never been know for his strong tracking back or defensive efforts. Just because they turned Behich into a LB doesn't mean they can turn every winger into one.

JA has said Ramsay will be tried @ LB. Forgot Aziz was the best defender in the league and always tracked back. Silly me.