Melbourne Football

Jobe Wheelhouse

millm103

After a few weeks of speculation, Jobe has left Newcastle

What are everything elses thoughts if Heart brought him in?

His not the greatest player going around the league but tbh anything at the moment is better than nothing so hopefully they do decide to go after him as im sure he will give some much needed relief in the midfield

http://www.courierma...5-1226565864014

Depends on the contract, but if its just until the end of this year this IMO this is good news...

We are dying need of a Holding Midfielder and although his not going to go anywhere near solving this problem like Grella would have, he def offers a better solution than Thompson or Hoffman have in this position.

We also have to realise the fact that the club’s hands are tied...

There is hardly a massive pool of quality unsigned Aussies out there, just your Kristin Sarkies types...

Edited by cadete

I think he is worth taking for rest of year

Hes natural position is the position we need and he shows a bit of aggression and he shows that he cares, something we lack at times

Also it's another natural leader to the club

We could do worse I think

Exactly.

We need an aggressive holding midfielder with leadership skills like your average 18 year old needs a car for transport...

Like most 18 year olds we didn't listen to our parents and we brought the Commodore/Falcon with a Spoiler in Grella because it will look cool driving it into the student car park at school. (And you dont want to cope shit from the local bogans).

Of course the car was already fucked from its previous three owners doing burnouts everyday so pretty quickly you have to get rid of it...

So now we are buying a relaible Used Toyota in Wheelhouse to satisfy our need for transport.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 5

If it's until the end of this season, giving him a chance to re-sign if he impresses, then that's fine. We have spots, and we need someone of his type. I don't particularly like him, but we could use some of his aggression and should have some of the leadership qualities we lack.

If we sign him, let's hope he's not another Paul Reid....

Paul Reid didn't do much, but there was no harm in getting him. He was a short term injury replacement when we needed experienced bodies. He didn't take up a spot in the main squad, so I don't see how it cost us anything other than paying his wages for a few weeks.

There aren't many stars sitting around waiting to get contracts. But we need players and we have the room. So why not just take a bit of a gamble on these types?

Edited by Sash

I think he is worth taking for rest of year

Hes natural position is the position we need and he shows a bit of aggression and he shows that he cares, something we lack at times

Also it's another natural leader to the club

We could do worse I think

Exactly.

We need an aggressive holding midfielder with leadership skills like your average 18 year old needs a car for transport...

Like most 18 year olds we didn't listen to our parents and we brought the Commodore/Falcon with a Spoiler in Grella because it will look cool driving it into the student car park at school. (And you dont want to cope shit from the local bogans).

Of course the car was already fucked from its previous three owners doing burnouts everyday so pretty quickly you have to get rid of it...

So now we are buying a relaible Used Toyota in Wheelhouse to satisfy our need for transport.

Absolutely awesome post lol.

Good outcome for us.

The important thing for us is to have a PLAN for our squad for the seasons ahead, both in terms of the players we sign, how old they are, their preferred positions, and how long we sign them for. No use whatsoever just plugging perceived holes and ending up with players we can't move on (for whatever reason) and an unbalanced squad.

Doesn't mean we're not going to make mistakes from time to time, but basically seems to me with a senior squad of 23 and a youth squad of about 15 we should have three players for each position. I know it's never quite that simple, but you get the basic idea.

Just as examples, we've been caught out recently because we had no real back-ups for Marrone and Behich. I like both J. Walker and Mitchinson, but really there should have been senior squad players ready to step up before were straight away down in the youth squad. Likewise in seasons 1 and 2 we had no real back-up for Bolton.

IMO going forward we need to better in terms of squad balance.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Given that it's our midfield that has let us down this season it's to be hoped that we're going to address that as players come out of contract. Possibly some decisions have been made already, so Wheelhouse might be in the mix. The article specifically talks about next season.

If we don't change our midfielders than we're just going to serve up more of the same next season and that's going to get us precisely nowhere.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

FORMER Jets captain Jobe Wheelhouse hopes to start enjoying his football again after signing with Northern NSW State League new boys Lambton Jaffas on Friday

The 27-year-old midfielder has been without a club since requesting a release and being paid out by the Jets in February after declaring ‘‘my heart’s not here any more’’.

Contract negotiations with the Jets had broken down and, despite approaches from Melbourne Heart and Central Coast Mariners, he opted to take a break.

He was poised to resurrect his A-League career with two-time champions Brisbane Roar, but when that offer was withdrawn last week, Wheelhouse opted to join his younger brother, Abe, at the Jaffas.

‘‘I will never shut the door on an A-League career or overseas for that matter, but I think it is the right time to take a step back,’’ Wheelhouse told the Herald. 

‘‘If another door opens up, it does. If not, I am pretty happy with what I’ve achieved.

‘‘I had an opportunity to go and play alongside Abe and get a bit of enjoyment back in my game. 

‘‘It has been three months now. With a few things falling through, the next best thing would be to get back on the horse, have a kick.

‘‘The guys at Lambton have been very welcoming. I’m looking to provide them with a bit of experience and try to keep my brother in line.

‘‘They have agreed to try and help me with my football school as well. We are all on the same page, which is good.’’

Wheelhouse has been a professional footballer since he returned from the Australian Institute of Sport as a 17-year-old to play for Newcastle United in the old national soccer league.

He was a foundation player for the Jets and made 106 A-League appearances, the last 31 as the club’s first home-grown skipper.

After turning down previous approaches he had been excited about the chance to move to Brisbane and a fresh start.

‘‘I am obviously disappointed that they reneged on the deal, but there are a lot of people worse off than me in life.’’

Wheelhouse starts training with the Jaffas next week but is not expected to make his debut until the round-eight clash against Weston at Edden Oval.

‘‘I have been doing bits and pieces, but I don’t think my body is ready for a game yet,’’ he said. ‘‘I will start training next week and have a wedding to attend in Fiji in a couple of weeks as well.’’

Not surprisingly, Jaffas coach Dave Tanchevski was delighted to have the ex-Jets skipper on board.

The Jaffas won the First Division minor and major premierships last year to earn promotion for the first time in club history and have opened their campaign with two losses.

‘‘There were a lot of disappointed people when he left the Jets and hopefully they come and watch him,’’ Tanchevski said.

‘‘He fits into our culture and is coming here for the right reasons.

‘‘We told him we had spent our budget but would give him what we can.’’

Tanchevski said the Jaffas would not stand in the playmaker’s way if an opportunity arose for him to return to the professional ranks.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1461012/jobe-joins-lambton-to-put-fun-back-in-football/?cs=306

About his standard

He has a brother called Abe Wheelhouse.

That in itself is brilliant.

I think you'll find they are Hebrew names. Jobe certainly is, and Abe is a diminutive of Abraham.

I'm probably being politically incorrect, but I can't resist the thought that if they have a sister she might be called Bebe...