Melbourne Football

Cameron Edwards

Huzie

You're losing your shit because a guy who has played about 6 minutes of professional football doesn't break into the side straight away?

And yeah it's shit if he's good and we've only signed him for this season. But we can't sign him against his will if he doesn't want a longer contract. Or maybe they rate Stefan Mauk a better long term prospect? Who knows.

We've had a pretty good strike rate with picking young players who have stepped up to senior football. Babalj, Hamill, Good, Garuccio, Vrankovic, Mitchinson, Walker, Goodwin, as well as some from other clubs who have improved like Behich and Mebrahtu (maybe). It's probably the most successful thing the club has done so far. So for now enjoy the fact that another promising young player has chosen to join us.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

You're losing your shit because a guy who has played about 6 minutes of professional football doesn't break into the side straight away?

And yeah it's shit if he's good and we've only signed him for this season. But we can't sign him against his will if he doesn't want a longer contract. Or maybe they rate Stefan Mauk a better long term prospect? Who knows.

We've had a pretty good strike rate with picking young players who have stepped up to senior football. Babalj, Hamill, Good, Garuccio, Vrankovic, Mitchinson, Walker, Goodwin, as well as some from other clubs who have improved like Behich and Mebrahtu (maybe). It's probably the most successful thing the club has done so far. So for now enjoy the fact that another promising young player has chosen to join us.

Yes I am losing my shit as we have signed a promising youngster who I have actually seen play for only a short term contract when he has played youth games and also trained for several weeks.

We sign this promising player from Reading to impact us this season and for future planning. What the fuck has Mauk got to do with it, we can't have more than one talented yourg on our books?

Right now Cameron Edwards has more ability than Hoffman who is getting regular starts and to be honest will be an improvement on both Fred and Thompson on so many levels.

To secure him, we could have had him signed up for next season also. Given him game time this season and a full pre season to train with us. I don't see the strategy employed by its with only signing him for half a season.

If that is true. Again I also ask is he not eligible yet.

Fantastic he chose us it really is because he has the talent to be the most promising under 21 year old in the A League but we should have committed longer for him.

Yes I am losing my shit as we have signed a promising youngster who I have actually seen play for only a short term contract when he has played youth games and also trained for several weeks.

We sign this promising player from Reading to impact us this season and for future planning. What the fuck has Mauk got to do with it, we can't have more than one talented yourg on our books?

Right now Cameron Edwards has more ability than Hoffman who is getting regular starts and to be honest will be an improvement on both Fred and Thompson on so many levels.

To secure him, we could have had him signed up for next season also. Given him game time this season and a full pre season to train with us. I don't see the strategy employed by its with only signing him for half a season.

Fantastic he chose us it really is because he has the talent to be the most promising under 21 year old in the A League but we should have committed longer for him.

We didn't sign him from Reading.

And can I ask where you've seen him play?

We didn't sign him from Reading.

And can I ask where you've seen him play?

You're right, we didn't. I meant who has gone to Reading, but yeah he was eventually released.

I saw him at Perth Glory with the youth doing work for whilst over there years gone by. Was always destined for the big time, always had that composure and technique.

Glad to see JD is getting back to you Sharpy, cannot understand why if he is eligible he isn't in the squad and hopefully JD asks JA whats happening. Seems to me he was surprised as me. There you go.

Saw Edwards in the youth team today and anyone expecting him to come in and make an immediate impact is mistaken I think. Looks unfit and offered nothing today. Pretty much didn't move from the centre circle. Can see that he is technically good but needs to improve physically..

Kalmar offered much more next to him if you are going to compare midfielders.

• Like 1

Saw Edwards in the youth team today and anyone expecting him to come in and make an immediate impact is mistaken I think. Looks unfit and offered nothing today. Pretty much didn't move from the centre circle. Can see that he is technically good but needs to improve physically..

Those were the doubts on Edwards before signing. Technically strong but poor physically. Most on here are pro youth, I am too but it can be easy to ignore the weaknesses of those you want to come in and ignore the strengths of more established players.

Hardly sounds like the same player, does it?

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-confirms-Edwards-signing/57005

Melbourne Heart FC confirms the signing of promising midfielder Cameron Edwards on a senior contract for the remainder of the 2012-13 Hyundai A-League season.

Edwards, 20, joins Heart after impressing coaching staff during a two-week training stint with the Club in December.

Edwards signed with Championship side Reading in 2011 where he developed into a dynamic left-footed central midfielder, before playing out his contract and joining the Nike Football Academy in July 2012.

Edwards has spent the last six months training with the Academy in England, following in the footsteps of Academy graduate Tomas Rogic, who joined A-League leaders Central Coast Mariners in January.

Melbourne Heart General Manager, Football Operations, John Didulica praised Edwards’ pedigree, stating he would add extra depth to the senior squad.

“Cameron is a hugely talented left-sided midfielder with a professional work ethic and he has the capacity to be a great acquisition for the Club,” Didulica said.

“It is not east to find silky left-sided players with elite experience, so we are happy Cameron has chosen to continue his football development with Heart.”

means nothing, going by reports redders has been shit in the youth team...

mauk will be a good player. needs confidence and fitness.

reminds me of the first time sterling came on for LFC.

He may be but he was clearly out of his depth yesterday mate. At least with other players i've seen who have made there debut i've been able to remember 1 or 2 good things they've done. All mauk seemed to do was turn the ball over and consistently get stripped. Not ready for senior action yet

Mauk is signed to a senior contract for next season. We obviously value him highly.

What I don't understand (back to the thread) is why we signed Cameron Edwards for (only) the rest of this season and then prefer Mauk to him. If Edwards is not ready physically, why sign him at all, just for a couple of months?

We don't seem to learn. Last season we signed Paul Reid as an injury-replacement for Fred, and then found that Fred was ready to resume before Reid was fit enough.

There are just so many questions about this season it's hard to know where to start.

Mauk is signed to a senior contract for next season. We obviously value him highly.

What I don't understand (back to the thread) is why we signed Cameron Edwards for (only) the rest of this season and then prefer Mauk to him. If Edwards is not ready physically, why sign him at all, just for a couple of months?

We don't seem to learn. Last season we signed Paul Reid as an injury-replacement for Fred, and then found that Fred was ready to resume before Reid was fit enough.

There are just so many questions about this season it's hard to know where to start.

This may come as shock to you but maybe he didn't want to sign any longer than one season ? the club just cant force players to sign for multiple years

This may come as shock to you but maybe he didn't want to sign any longer than one season ? the club just cant force players to sign for multiple years

So we sign him for a couple of months and don't play him? Interesting list management by us yet again.

I think that's actually the point I was making - why bother to sign a bloke for 2 months and then find he's not physically ready?

I think that's actually the point I was making - why bother to sign a bloke for 2 months and then find he's not physically ready?

Yep it sounds like a bit of a gamble tbh

Maybe his first preference is to go overseas again next season and if it doesn't happen for him, we'll have the inside running to sign him for longer if we want to. Who knows? There must be something in it for us. The limitation of a contract for just this season is pretty obvious and I'm sure it was taken into account. Maybe it's just a gamble which has little downside if it doesn't come off.

The club will make money off him either way. If he leaves after this contract is up his next club will have to pay us a compo fee due to FIFA legislation around players under 23 who join a club as a free agent. The club probably view that if he plays or stays that is a bonus.

Edited by LR9

mauk will be a good player. needs confidence and fitness.

reminds me of the first time sterling came on for LFC.

He may be but he was clearly out of his depth yesterday mate. At least with other players i've seen who have made there debut i've been able to remember 1 or 2 good things they've done. All mauk seemed to do was turn the ball over and consistently get stripped. Not ready for senior action yet

It was Bad Coaching more than anything else...

The kid never should have been thrust into that situation, all year JA has tried to convince us that Hoff is a CM yet he sent him on to the Wing and put poor Mindy in the Middle to win us the game.

I am sure for that last ten minutes a better solution could have been found, at least Hoff has the physicality to play in the middle against men.(When compared to a teenage first gamer.)

Anyway hopefully Edwards gets a go of the bench this week...

Edited by cadete

To be fair, Mauk was looking for a few through balls in to the box that didn't quite make it. Good experience for him.

I'd rather see him fuck up those through balls than show terrible first touch like some other of our midfielders.

Edited by Ando
  • Like 1