Melbourne Football

Andreas Govas

Peter

• 7 months later...

Bump.

Can we please get this guy for next season? He's talent is going to waste at the moment in Greece's second division. I saw him play at Port and from what I've read he also played well at Geelong.

He had a few stray shots at goal in the Port game (probably trying to prove himself), but other than that he was lively on the ball, he was quick and showed good skill.

Maybe we can get him for next season and unlike Gray, he won't even take up a VISA spot!

Agree Red or Dead.  Despite having an unstable back four with sales and injuries, we were one of only 3 teams this year to not have a game where we were pasted on the scoreboard (WSW and CCM being the other two).  The majority of the problems this year, for me, stem from the midfield - no one presenting to the back four to play out, no ability to string 3 passes together, too many balls backwards (I spat out my beer on Saturday when Thommo had a Heart man 10 yards in front of him forward, but still turned back whilst taking on a guy behind him to lay it off to the back four), no hunger in the middle, no pressing, no team work and no killer through balls.  We had a couple of hungry talented kids who we could have tried and kept for peanuts, and we stuck with the usual crap of Thommo, Hoffman, etc, because they were "experienced".  Well, didn't that bite us on the arse!!  And then when we import a youth like Edwards, he gets no opportunity.  We need to take a punt on one or two midfielders like Govas.  Hungry, keen to impress, cheap and can hit a pass.  I get the feeling, no, I know, our forwards and defence will look so much better with midfielders prepared to work their arses off.

• Like 1

Errr, Edwards was pretty ordinary in the youth team. Didn't do enough for a senior birth. I think the most pressing issue is a style one, rather then personnel. In saying that, Govas looked good enough pre season for me, surprised he didn't get a look last time.

So why did we sign him??  Is this an issue with talent identification or, once he got here, he wasn't encouraged and didn't flourish??  I would have thought that every signing, given the squad size, should be ready to go.  Sounds like Gray mark II.

Errr, Edwards was pretty ordinary in the youth team. Didn't do enough for a senior birth. I think the most pressing issue is a style one, rather then personnel. In saying that, Govas looked good enough pre season for me, surprised he didn't get a look last time.

So why did we sign him??  Is this an issue with talent identification or, once he got here, he wasn't encouraged and didn't flourish??  I would have thought that every signing, given the squad size, should be ready to go.  Sounds like Gray mark II.

The issue with Gray was he was taking up a visa spot, the issue with Edwards is that he never looked match fit even in the NYL (in my opinion) and didn't seem to get better (fitness wise) so why does he deserve a senior birth if he's not going to work his tail off for it?

I believe in this kid. I mean, he's kalmars age and a far better talent in my opinion (not to put down kalmar). I think given the way we treated him though, he wont come to us. However perhaps if we showed some interest in him, actually put in an offer to buy him even? really committed to him, 2-3 year deal. He MIGHT come.

Would be worth it!

But again, I asked this question at the Fan Forum, not usually the type of questions I like to ask, as it is part of the football side of things and I tend to have the opinion that we should leave that side to them... but on this occasion I could no believe we let him go!

Perhaps we could start a fan driven push for him?

Given some time to settle in here, I think he would pass Fred's talent (when he is fit and in form).

• Like 2

I believe in this kid. I mean, he's kalmars age and a far better talent in my opinion (not to put down kalmar). I think given the way we treated him though, he wont come to us. However perhaps if we showed some interest in him, actually put in an offer to buy him even? really committed to him, 2-3 year deal. He MIGHT come.

Would be worth it!

But again, I asked this question at the Fan Forum, not usually the type of questions I like to ask, as it is part of the football side of things and I tend to have the opinion that we should leave that side to them... but on this occasion I could no believe we let him go!

Given some time to settle in here, I think he would pass Fred's talent (when he is fit and in form).

personally i haven't seen him play, but if he's that good of a player as you say he is, and has plenty of potential, why didn't we sign him? Instead we sign Edwards and Gray who never got a game, and we persist with duds like matt thompson and jason hoffman.

We definitely need more creative midfielders in our squad.

You still haven't answered my question Tommykins. Why did we sign him??

Presumably with a view to run an eye over him, give him a few senior games towards the end of the year, he'd spent time at the Nike Football Academy and technically he looked very good. However the effort wasn't anywhere near where it needed to be and either was his ability to not get pushed off the ball. Looked good against younger guys, got flattened against men.

Would be worth it!

personally i haven't seen him play, but if he's that good of a player as you say he is, and has plenty of potential, why didn't we sign him? Instead we sign Edwards and Gray who never got a game, and we persist with duds like matt thompson and jason hoffman.

You gotta wonder what the club (more so JD) are thinking sometimes. From what I saw against Port Melbourne Govas should've been a shoe-in. I suppose there's always the chance the club offered him a contract on peanuts and he declined the offer.

Bozza, maybe we should start a fan-driven push to sign him up. Same goes for Raul as our Marquee ;-)

Would be worth it!

You gotta wonder what the club (more so JD) are thinking sometimes. From what I saw against Port Melbourne Govas should've been a shoe-in. I suppose there's always the chance the club offered him a contract on peanuts and he declined the offer.

Bozza, maybe we should start a fan-driven push to sign him up. Same goes for Raul as our Marquee ;-)

I actually just remembered that I spoke to JD face to face after the fan forum, and he said that it was basically a case of too many midfielders already, we had Fred and Kalmar to play the same place more or less, he said if we had a few more spots on the team roster it would have been a no brainer, but because of the squad size limit he was not offered a place...

He should be now...

(also he had far more hair than Konyit from memory)

Edited by Bozza

You still haven't answered my question Tommykins. Why did we sign him??

Presumably with a view to run an eye over him, give him a few senior games towards the end of the year, he'd spent time at the Nike Football Academy and technically he looked very good. However the effort wasn't anywhere near where it needed to be and either was his ability to not get pushed off the ball. Looked good against younger guys, got flattened against men.

From the Heart website:

Heart will miss Jonatan Germano (hamstring), captain Fred (quad) and recent injury casualty Cameron Edwards (ankle) who will, unfortunately, miss the opportunity to make his A-League debut with Heart.

Edwards featured in 11 matches for the Club's National Youth League side, but suffered an ankle injury in training on Sunday, ruling him out of selection this weekend.

Do we infer from this that Edwards is being released? The way it's worded, I think so.

(Another training injury BTW.)