Melbourne Football

Haz'z 'n' Shazz'z Asian Cup Thread.

Dylan

• jw1739 changed the title to Haz'z 'n' Shazz'z Asian Cup Thread.
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Sad how this tournament just doesn't get any real publicity here. Says a lot I think, and where FA and APL etc. go wrong with their grandiose plans.

Nothing new there but with one caveat - the only sports that have international tournaments that get nationwide coverage are cricket, tennis and rugby (not NRL). F1 only of there is an up and coming Aussie. Otherwise, netball, basketball, hockey, football, get next to nothing - sorry football with the world cup every 4 years. AFL and NRL don't have international tournaments.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Nah, keep it here.

As for Arnold's comments when Spain won the World Cup, all but 2 of their squad played domestically and the back four were all team mates. This means that if you have a line of players continually playing alongside each other, the national coach does not have to do much coaching. National teams that have players all over the world, means that national coaches have to do a lot more work, not just Arnold. The descent of Brazil is that so many of their players now play in Europe compared to their hey day when most played domestically with a few playing in Europe.

As for a longer season, sure I would like to see that but given the precarious nature of the A-League, its not going to happen any time soon. I will note that Australia, and that means you Arnold, has an inferiority complex by believing that any player who plays in Europe is bound to be better than the local product. Which is why he is keen to bring into the team people who have never set foot in Australia but are tied through some descendent rule - and when they find themselves without a club they snub offers from Oz.

40 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

What do the Socceroos do between matches? Do they have training sessions? It doesn't look like it; they are playing like 11 strangers. We can barely put three passes together and they don't seem to be aware of each other's runs

I don't recall having seen a detailed program for the NT. It's easier to find details of the junior sides, which play in various competitions throughout the year, and these are on the FA website as they come along, but again I'm not sure you can get a list in advance?

The NT squad gathers in camp in advance of all internationals and competitions, but outside of that I confess to not knowing.

Despite @NewConvert's protestations I do think that the A-League season could be longer. The players  return to training in July, and are straightaway into Australia Cup and AFC competitions, so I cannot see why at least three complete rounds of the domestic league is not possible. The A$140 million squandered by APL was essentially a gift from Silver Lake. All the League's other sources of funds are still in place. (Silver Lake didn't exactly distinguish themselves in terms of where their investment was going.)

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

What do the Socceroos do between matches? Do they have training sessions? It doesn't look like it; they are playing like 11 strangers. We can barely put three passes together and they don't seem to be aware of each other's runs

Yeah they looked like they’d met in the sheds before the game didn’t they. It was painful to watch.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Despite @NewConvert's protestations I do think that the A-League season could be longer. The players  return to training in July, and are straightaway into Australia Cup and AFC competitions, so I cannot see why at least three complete rounds of the domestic league is not possible. The A$140 million squandered by APL was essentially a gift from Silver Lake. All the League's other sources of funds are still in place. (Silver Lake didn't exactly distinguish themselves in terms of where their investment was going.)

I agree, the A League season should be aligned with football seasons around the world

Anyone pick a Jordan-Qatar final?

Im case you missed it Jordan were third in their group. I haven’t seen Qatar for years but they must have improved a lot.

The absence of the (generally regarded) top 5 teams from the final is surely a sign that the margin between Asian football nations is becoming very small. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Anyone pick a Jordan-Qatar final?

Im case you missed it Jordan were third in their group. I haven’t seen Qatar for years but they must have improved a lot.

The absence of the (generally regarded) top 5 teams from the final is surely a sign that the margin between Asian football nations is becoming very small. 

Amazing final selection, who would have picked it? Qatar playing at home

• Like 1