thisphantomfortress

Rugby Union

68 posts in this topic

Its very sad. He sounded like a decent human being too. As a player he certainly transformed wing play - small fast guys were popular before he came along!

I'll never forget him destroying the Poms in the world cup - unfortunately for the kiwis though, the south africans had seen big guys before and they shut him out in the final.  

 

Not to detract from the great Jonah, but in Australia at least, Dally Messenger would have been the first Rugby Superstar, (some 90 odd years earlier).  He was the star whose signature was big enough to underwrite the birth of a new game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the Brumbies v Tahs on one screen and Brisbane v WSW on the other. After going to a couple of club games in England last year we really have the best domestic rugby in the world in super rugby. Shame most Aussies don't care

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoughts on the game tonight? I think we have what it takes to beat them, but a bit worried after the other week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the game. Great first half TBH. AAMI packed to the rafters and heaving. Really good so far. Only downer is the joke of a pitch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the 3 (idiots, they didn't)

And now the opportunity is lost. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really disappointed I didn't know this game was on, would love to have gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really shit effort. Only have ourselves to blame, although England's defence was like a brick wall

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Really shit effort. Only have ourselves to blame, although England's defence was like a brick wall

Honestly I remember going to see England v the all blacks in Wellington in 2003, this English side look just as good. Amazing the difference a good coach can make

Edited by thisphantomfortress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Honestly I remember going to see England v the all blacks in Wellington in 2003, this English side look just as good. Amazing the difference a good coach can make

Agreed, they look a completely different side to the rabble that we played at the World Cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Really shit effort. Only have ourselves to blame, although England's defence was like a brick wall

if we'd stopped trying to score try's at all costs and taken free kicks and field goals we would have won easily. Poor tactics lost us the game.

Having said that was shit to watch. Confirmed why I don't bother watching Rugby anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell of a game to cap off a massive series for England. Where do the wallabies go from here? Next two games are against NZ they could be realistically on a 6 game losing streak by the end of August 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread needs some love, hell of a game tonight. Lions with one of the all time great test trys but all blacks just too good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

This thread needs some love, hell of a game tonight. Lions with one of the all time great test trys but all blacks just too good 

What's going on with the whole cutting teams thing mate? I noticed there was a crap crowd at the Wallabies game and they blamed it on that, can you give me a summary of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

What's going on with the whole cutting teams thing mate? I noticed there was a crap crowd at the Wallabies game and they blamed it on that, can you give me a summary of it?

Think of how bad the ffa are and double it and that's the ARU. Super rugby expanded to the point it was unsustainable and they're cutting it back and an aussie team has to go. The whole process has been handled terribly. Google for actual details cause I cbf explaining it all

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Think of how bad the ffa are and double it and that's the ARU. Super rugby expanded to the point it was unsustainable and they're cutting it back and an aussie team has to go. The whole process has been handled terribly. Google for actual details cause I cbf explaining it all

Ok that makes sense, will it be the Rebels that are cut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Ok that makes sense, will it be the Rebels that are cut?

It's down to the rebels and the force.  Originally it was the force who were thought to be cut but now it's more likely to be the Rebels. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

It's down to the rebels and the force.  Originally it was the force who were thought to be cut but now it's more likely to be the Rebels. 

Got the inside Goss on this one, will be force. Greenline it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Think of how bad the ffa are and double it and that's the ARU. Super rugby expanded to the point it was unsustainable and they're cutting it back and an aussie team has to go. The whole process has been handled terribly. Google for actual details cause I cbf explaining it all

The irony being people want the FFA to expand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

It's down to the rebels and the force.  Originally it was the force who were thought to be cut but now it's more likely to be the Rebels. 

What are Rebels crowds like? Compared to Force that is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 25/06/2017 at 5:20 PM, thisphantomfortress said:

Got the inside Goss on this one, will be force. Greenline it

I always thought that Perth, with East Pretoria as a suburb, would be safe from being cut, I thought that it would be the Rebels to make way

 

Edited by japiedog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, japiedog said:

I always thought that Perth, with East Pretoria as a suburb, would be safe from being cut, I thought that it would be the Rebels to make way

 

Rebels are privately owned and have a qc who has offered to take the aru on pro bono. Would cost far more in legal costs to the aru to have a crack at the rebels 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-6-25 at 6:28 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

What are Rebels crowds like? Compared to Force that is

Wouldn't know tbh, but as shit as the rebels do, they still pull alright crowds. Like i think the rebels average 8-12k depending on who they are playing

I heard they were winding down, and the fact that their not re-signing their coach is a sign to it.

He also quite crap atm too so it could be that lol, @thisphantomfortress would know more about this then myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Wouldn't know tbh, but as shit as the rebels do, they still pull alright crowds. Like i think the rebels average 8-12k depending on who they are playing

I heard they were winding down, and the fact that their not re-signing their coach is a sign to it.

He also quite crap atm too so it could be that lol, @thisphantomfortress would know more about this then myself.

TM was always gunna be gone by seasons end, surprised he made it to this season tbh there was a player revolt last year. They're signing players and the owners have been unequivocal in their stance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 27/06/2017 at 2:08 PM, japiedog said:

I always thought that Perth, with East Pretoria as a suburb, would be safe from being cut, I thought that it would be the Rebels to make way

 

Yeah, but knowing a lot of these people  from when I lived there they aren't they type to attend sport regular... (Produce a lot of hot daughters though.)

There are also a lot of Kiwis in Perth, but of course being Kiwis they have stuck with the local teams from where they are from in NZ.

(Expecting otherwise is like expecting a Vic to change AFL teams cos he lives in Perth - Not happening.)

Edited by cadete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drawn series is a very interesting result. Probably fair on balance and the abs look vulnerable, shame Australian and South African rugby are a shit show at the moment and they don't play England until next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia are going get torn a new one, this next Rugby Championship

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Australia are going get torn a new one, this next Rugby Championship

 

They always pull off a win against the Saffers or Argies, but bledisloe they haven't a snow balls chance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

They always pull off a win against the Saffers or Argies, but bledisloe they haven't a snow balls chance 

they won't beat the Jaapies in SA, plus the Argies will push hard for a win at home

the AB's will blow them of the paddock, if Oz gets within 20 points, they will consider that a good effort, but i reckon they'll be lucky to keep it at 30 points

in reality they arsed their way through the Italy match, the could have ( and probably should have ) lost that one

woeful against Scotland, and to think that Scotland had their 5 best players unavailable

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now