Melbourne Football

2014-15 Youth Team

Murfy1

It seems Heart last year adopted a policy of attempting to split the youth squad into three age groups, so if its 18 players you have 6 x U18, 6 x U19, 6 x U20  (i assume this would be a guide only).  I'd therefore expect every year we'd need to sign about 6 new players and the club gets to work with these players for 3 years.

I must say I was really shocked when they said this was their new approach.  It seemed like the obvious way to do it.....

They must be trialing and recruiting now, as the new website states that the whole NYL squad will be announced in the coming weeks before the start of the season, and the NYL season starts around mid to late October:

MELBOURNE CITY FC YOUTH TEAM
Our Foxtel National Youth League team for the 2014/15 season will be announced closer to the start of the season.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/team/y_league

My best mates there in the blue keeper top in the first set of photos.

My other 2 mates trailed on the first day and there was 16 goalkeepers in total lmao.
Mostly NTC, NPL keepers.

My keeper coach does the goalkeeper coaching for the youth team. Sam Frangos. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Gippsland lads eyed for City youth

Samuel Darroch

August 21

TWO local players have advanced to the second stage of Melbourne City youth trials following a recent practice match between Gippsland and Dandenong Thunder at Latrobe City Stadium.

Sale United captain Ash Ross and Traralgon local Baley Row, who plays for National Premier League side Box Hill, were invited to the next phase of City trials, which was held on Tuesday in Melbourne.

City youth coach Joe Palatsides said the midfield pair was identified for their technical ability and versatility.

"Those two boys look quite good technically, then talking to the coaching staff confirmed as much... they play midfield so being in that position as well there's a range of positions we could use them in... it gives you a few more options," he said.

"The way Melbourne City wants to play (is) high possession, high tempo type of game and to do that you have to be good technically.

"That's where we start, then we look at other attributes, which could be their pace, decision making, stamina, physical strength and a range of different things depending on the position of the player."

Also in their favour was their age, with potentially several years in the selection pipeline system to hone their skills and strive for future selection.

"They're two kids that will be in the system for two or three years so we can really track their progress and see how they develop," Palatsides said.

The trial marked the second year City has scoured regional Victoria for talent, and Palatsides said it was a trend the club would continue in future. He said the jump in standard had been monumental over the past two to three years, citing the influence of zone development officer Mark Cassar and Gippsland coaches as key.

"I can see the structures have changed in Gippsland too and that's been a credit to Mark and all the coaches down there that have put the time and effort into establishing a better structure," he said.

"It will definitely be an ongoing commitment to the Gippsland area, because we see Gippsland as an untapped source of young talent, so we want to try and explore that as much as we can."

Trials will continue until a squad of about 24 is chosen.

http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/story/2498607/gippsland-lads-eyed-for-city-youth/?cs=1210

It seems Heart last year adopted a policy of attempting to split the youth squad into three age groups, so if its 18 players you have 6 x U18, 6 x U19, 6 x U20 (i assume this would be a guide only). I'd therefore expect every year we'd need to sign about 6 new players and the club gets to work with these players for 3 years.

I must say I was really shocked when they said this was their new approach. It seemed like the obvious way to do it.....

To be honest I'd rather a policy of, if you're good enough, your old enough. If there was a 16yr old who was as good technically as an 18yr old, I know who I would rather.

It seems Heart last year adopted a policy of attempting to split the youth squad into three age groups, so if its 18 players you have 6 x U18, 6 x U19, 6 x U20 (i assume this would be a guide only). I'd therefore expect every year we'd need to sign about 6 new players and the club gets to work with these players for 3 years.

I must say I was really shocked when they said this was their new approach. It seemed like the obvious way to do it.....

To be honest I'd rather a policy of, if you're good enough, your old enough. If there was a 16yr old who was as good technically as an 18yr old, I know who I would rather.Rolf Harris would agree
  • Like 1

To be honest I'd rather a policy of, if you're good enough, your old enough. If there was a 16yr old who was as good technically as an 18yr old, I know who I would rather.

No, I didn't mean its about players being a certain age, rather its about having an intake of about 6 players each year and these players then staying for 3 seasons.

Anyway signing school age kids brings another whole lot of challenges (like providing an opportunity for them to actually go to school).

No, I didn't mean its about players being a certain age, rather its about having an intake of about 6 players each year and these players then staying for 3 seasons.

Anyway signing school age kids brings another whole lot of challenges (like providing an opportunity for them to actually go to school). True, but it could coincide with the school program they have running, could be like a scholarship type thing. So not only will they train at a higher level, they will play football at school and get (correct me if I am wrong) private school education.

But I understand what you are saying and I am not commenting to you Personly, just my view on the subject.

As I would love it if guys at 18 were knocking on the door of first team action, rather than getting to grips with the NYL. Also I just wouldn't want to miss out on the next Danny Desilva to another club or apathy.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

apparently there is a kid coming on board who has silky skills, a great left foot, vision and is around the 193cm mark 17 year old

one downside, sometimes the concentration is not always there

Lewis Shannon....

I'd love to say remember that name, hopefully we will for the right reasons

Well hopefully concentration issues can be attributed to his young age and can be something that he'll improve on over the years. 

Fingers crossed on him 

apparently there is a kid coming on board who has silky skills, a great left foot, vision and is around the 193cm mark 17 year old

one downside, sometimes the concentration is not always there

Lewis Shannon....

I'd love to say remember that name, hopefully we will for the right reasons

Pity he has strong connections with the Victory group Horda

• 2 weeks later...

Dandenong Thunder youngster Matt Millar makes national schools’ side

LUCY CALLANDER

OCTOBER 08, 2014

MATT Millar can barely remember a time when he didn’t play soccer.

“I was three years old when I joined my first team,” he said.

“My dad took me and my brother to the local club and even though I was really too young I started playing with my brother’s team for the under-5s.”

Now 18, the Pearcedale athlete has just been selected to represent Australia in the UK and Ireland in 2015.

“That’s probably the highlight of my career so far,” Millar said.

Millar gained a spot on the national under-19 School Sports team after competing with the School Sports Victoria team last month.

The Mt Erin College student plays for Dandenong Thunder and Melbourne City Youth and trains with Melbourne City’s seniors.

Millar said he would love to follow in the footsteps of ex-English star Paul Scholes. “Playing for an English team is the ultimate dream,” he said.

But in the meantime he has to complete his Year 12 studies and hopefully gain a university placement to study physiotherapy.

“I want a career that involves sport,” he said.

Matt Millar is this week’s Cranbourne Leader Senior Sports Star nominee.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/dandenong-thunder-youngster-matt-millar-makes-national-schools-side/story-fngnvoeu-1227083686909?nk=017ea4c68987f329b3323703ded83d4f

This is what the club website currently says:

Our Foxtel National Youth League team for the 2014/15 season will be announced closer to the start of the season.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/team/y_league

We'll hopefully hear something soon. The club has been trialling players for ages, and should pretty much have the team all sorted by now. I reckon the club has just been slow to announce it all.

There we go

Melbourne City FC National Youth League Squad (including Replacement Player Pool): Ross Archibald, Leo Athanasiou, Tonio Baresic – Nikic, Wade Dekker, Baki Efe, Hernan Espindola, Tomislav Fadljevic, Luke Gallo, Tyler James, Andy Kecojevic, Tom King, Matt Millar, Joseph Monek, Andrew Mullet, Lajos Oliveira, Trey O’Sullivan, Phil Petreski, Luka Prelevic, Anthony Rizk, Lewis Shannon, Yaren Sozer, Harris Stamboulidis, Marko Stevanja, Nick Symeoy, Anthony Taranto, Stefan Zinni

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/news-melbourne-city-fc-commences/xx95yg18l6h21nmhg5527emov#vbvDkJlib1w549Vl.99

• Like 1

Kecojevic scores in season opener for Melbourne City Youth

24 October 2014

Skip Fulton

The preparation for this years Foxtel National Youth League has been exceptionally quiet at Melbourne City.

The team has been preparing behind closed doors at Latrobe University, focusing on intra-club matches and not playing friendlies against NPL/NPL1 teams like their cross-town rivals at Melbourne Victory.It was all quiet until the day of their season opener away against Adelaide United when City released the details of this years talent-filled squad.  Coach Joe Palatsides, in charge for the third year, has retained five players from last season’s squad in Ross Archibald, Hernan Espindola, Andrew Mullett, Phil Petreski and goalkeeper Marko Stevanja.Palatsides has his eyes firmly on delivering players into the senior squad. “We have always measured our youth team on elevating our players into senior football, and already Ross [Archibald] has made his starting debut for the senior team last weekend. Paulo Retre is a player who graduated through our youth team and has earned a senior contract this year. These are great outcomes that continue to underline the importance of our youth team” he said.

The team made an impressive start to their campaign facing Adelaide United at the Adelaide Shores Football Centre on Saturday. City controlled the action for most of the first half, displaying an aggressive style of play but disappointingly missing their opportunities to open the scoring.

Neither team found the net at half time with the scores locked at 0-0 but City were certainly playing the strong of the line-ups.From the second half kick-off, Adelaide came out of their shell and started to play the game on their terms. They were the team more likely to score and bought out the best in City’s goalkeeper Stevanja. Dylan Smith came off the bench for United and had an immediate impact opening the scoring for the home team in the sixty ninth minute.

City would drop their heads over the next ten minutes in a balanced affair until a flurry of action in the last ten minutes would open the flood-gates on the scoreboard. Smith paired up with Anthony Costa on the break to secure his brace and give Adelaide breathing space.Shortly after Melbourne City forward Andy Kecojevic got into the action as he received the ball just outside the area and then pushed it wide before making his run. Jacob Melling put the cross back in where Kecojevic made the strike into the bottom right of the net giving Melbourne hope with just two minutes of normal time remaining.  From the restart however it was all about Adelaide, all one-way play, directly toward the goals. In less than a minute Costa would be the centre of attention again this time scoring himself to re-establish the two goal lead for Adelaide and secure the win.

Speaking to Goal! Weekly, Melbourne City goal scorer Andy Kecojevic reflected on the game saying “we were on top of them for most of the game until we conceded the first goal and then the momentum dropped off. We played really well though, just couldn’t put them into the back of the net. We pressed them and kept the ball superbly.”Despite the loss, Kecojevic remained positive and highlighted a number of areas where the team performed well. “The thing I was most happy about was the possession. We played them off the park, the ball went from left to right without them touching the ball and it was great to see. Also the understanding between the players was top notch. We’ve only been together for a short amount of time and it looked like we have been playing together for a long time. Lastly the pressing was also great, every time we pressed them they just kicked the ball long” he said.

Melbourne City Youth return home for their second match of the season. They play the Western Sydney Wanders at Broadmeadows Valley Park on Sunday 26th October.

Match Details 

Saturday, 18 October 2014: Adelaide United 3 (D.Smith 65’, 81’, A.Costa 89’) defeated Melbourne City 1 (Kecojevic 88’) at the Adelaide Shores Football Centre.

Melbourne City Youth Squad as announced on Saturday 18th October…

Ross Archibald, Leo Athanasiou, Tonio Baresic–Nikic, Wade Dekker, Baki Efe, Hernan Espindola, Tomislav Fadljevic, Luke Gallo, Tyler James, Andy Kecojevic, Tom King, Matt Millar, Joseph Monek, Andrew Mullet, Lajos Oliveira,  Trey O’Sullivan, Phil Petreski, Luka Prelevic, Anthony Rizk, Lewis Shannon, Yaren Sozer, Harris Stamboulidis, Marko Stevanja, Nick Symeoy, Anthony Taranto, Stefan Zinni

http://www.goalweekly.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=7656%3Akecojevic-scores-in-season-opener-for-melbourne-city-youth&Itemid=173