Melbourne Football

Goodwin - The Pain That Keeps Hurting

Sash

why the fuck not. never realized this. what is their reason?

Because they dont want one or two big teams taking all the best players.

TBH, transfer fees are retarded anyway when there is a salary cap.

Against salary cap. Against no transfer fees.

surely they haven't offered him too much more?

Considering Nathan Tinkler out bid Peter Moody for Black Caviar's Brother for a bit of fun...

I doubt providing a more alluring contract to Goodwin will be anything more than spare change.

Edited by cadete

Because they dont want one or two big teams taking all the best players.

TBH, transfer fees are retarded anyway when there is a salary cap.

Against salary cap. Against no transfer fees.

dont they understand a club can say no to selling a player if hes under contract? :huh:

against a salary cap too ......

He does not have a senior contract.

In other countries, where transfer fees apply, usually some compensation is still due. Eg in England they have a tribunal that determines it AFAIK.

And even under FIFA laws I believe compensation is owed, but that might apply to the club that trained him from youth and not us. Eg I remembered when I played form Sydenham Park, and PSV had signed Spase Dilevski, they were entitled to compensation.

Edited by Tesla

He does not have a senior contract.

yeaah but this was about transfer fees between A-League clubs, need to sign him up!

might be a stupid question, but aren't youth team players under contract aswel? assuming that yes they are and his is about to finish.

are youth team players paid a wage?

youth team players are paid.

youth team players are under contract as well, but goodwin's ran out this year.... thats why jets are chasing him and thats why heart need to give him a contract...

The thing that pisses me off is that if he does go, Heart get nothing for him. It would have been good if he did show promise early they could sign a two year contract, then at least get his contract bought out by the next club. There are too many youngsters that get snatched from their original A-League clubs and they get no compensation for them. Then the next club gets to sell them on to an overseas club for good money. If he does go to Newcastle, Heart should get something if he gets sold on from Newcastle. All nice in a real world, but it will be a shame to see a promising lad leave when he could have been ours. I bet if Papas was still at Heart he would have stayed. :-(

IMO the club has done the right thing in this case. Goodwin's a good player, and they've offered him a contract for next season (possibly two), but they're not going to enter a bidding war. It would be irresponsible to sign up every young player who bobs up to the surface. Nick Kalmar is a good example. We signed him, then a couple of clubs came knocking, and we rushed in and signed him for two more years - and he hasn't really been in contention for a first-team place ever since. But he's on our books, taking up a valuable spot in the senior squad. Doesn't only apply to young players coming through the NYL either - Williams being the classic example.

Most important thing at this stage is to get the new manager right.

• Like 1

Gut feeling tells me, hes gawn.

I think you might be right. :-(

Most would have thought that he would have been given a game against Adelaide pissants so he could have stuck the knife into them for rejecting him. I just hope that club did their best to keep him. I still think that the Papas influence was the factor why he would go. Still a major loss if so.

IMO the club has done the right thing in this case. Goodwin's a good player, and they've offered him a contract for next season (possibly two), but they're not going to enter a bidding war. It would be irresponsible to sign up every young player who bobs up to the surface. Nick Kalmar is a good example. We signed him, then a couple of clubs came knocking, and we rushed in and signed him for two more years - and he hasn't really been in contention for a first-team place ever since. But he's on our books, taking up a valuable spot in the senior squad. Doesn't only apply to young players coming through the NYL either - Williams being the classic example.

Most important thing at this stage is to get the new manager right.

i don't mind kalmar, we've seen he has the potential to be good it's just unfortunate he got injured otherwise we would have seen him feature more this season. What annoys me about this situation is that we've got Williams and Hoffman sitting on 2-3 year contracts (i would imagine fairly good pay) who have been fit pretty much all year and yet have contributed absolutely NOTHING. Where as when Goodwin is fully fit, he would at least be featuring most games, contribute something to the team and give us cover and some extra options/formations to play against teams

I find it puzzling the amount of game time Goodwin has got since Aziz came back. Nothing against Aziz, but Goodwin can play many roles and the way he played on his debut and next two games, you think that he would have featured more. He must have an injury or something because it does not make sense.

Your not the only one who is puzzled 11v. Thought he may have got a run tonight or last week (in fact when did he last play?) off the bench to give Behich a breather before finals after his hectic season.

His game performance was on par and acceptable. Something must have gone on behind the scenes, disciplinary perhaps or a falling out somewhere along the lines....pure speculation but what else is one to think.

Just hope they're not juvenile morons and not playing him in the knowledge that his leaving as our offer is miles apart.

If Heart sticks to its philosophy of finding and developing young players then suggest we all get used to to seeing this sort of thing happen regularly in the future. While there is a squad cap on numbers we cannot sign all our NYL players once their NYL days are over, even if we wanted to. It just isn't going to happen. Other clubs are always going to be able to poach our boys, just as we will be foolish not to poach theirs.

Craig may be good, but there's plenty more where he came from. It would be irresponsible to offer him more than the basic package in his first year.

Good luck to the lad if he goes to Newcastle, and I hope it works out well for him.

nup fuck that. we took him out of a vpl team and raised him to A-League quality.

no loyalty these days.

Roff.

Life lesson : Probs not the greatest option to comment on something, when you know fuck all...

EDIT: So, if McDonalds came to you offering you $7.50p/h, you tell me you would stay at your current job at KFC earning $4.50p/h coz your 'loyal'?

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1