Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 13 - Melbourne v Central Coast [Away] 21st Jan 6:00 pm

IssySG

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He lasted 12 days from the announcement of the signing to the news that he's leaving.

It's officially announced on the club website. https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20240124-sakhi-departs

Whatever the background, it's an amazing change of heart in such a short time. Of course difficult circumstances do happen with and in families, but I can't help but feel that there's more to these departures than meets the eye.

I guess we say "Thank you Hamza" and wish him all the best for the future.

I can only think of an unexpected death or illness from a close family member. Giving a player time off is one thing but now he’s unemployed as well.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I can only think of an unexpected death or illness from a close family member. Giving a player time off is one thing but now he’s unemployed as well.

Indeed he is. Until he signed a permanent deal with us he was on loan from his parent club AJ Auxerre in Ligue 2. Now he is "without club." Transfermarkt has been remarkably quick to keep up with all this.

The urgency of it all could mean any number of things. TBH I don't think we should speculate. Just respect the decision and wish him well.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we've got issues all over the park. They've been evident right from the start of the season against Oakleigh.

I think our main issues are:

injuries to Leckie and Nabbout - very telling in a team that relies on width to stretch teams

DM - crucial position in our style of play, neither Ugarkovic nor Sakhi fit the required role exactly and a double pivot costs us offensively

JMac is great at what he does but can't impose himself on games when we need him as he relies on service; he doesn't provide the on-field leadership. We don't have an attacking plan B.

RB - Talbot shows glimpses but needs to improve his finishing and his defensive work. His defensive issues are amplified by the DM issue

I doubt the dressing room is a happy place, nor should it be in our current situation, it's up to the coaching team to harness that energy into something productive.

It's a good thing that Sahki has left this week, the transfer window is still open

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed he is. Until he signed a permanent deal with us he was on loan from his parent club AJ Auxerre in Ligue 2. Now he is "without club." Transfermarkt has been remarkably quick to keep up with all this.

The urgency of it all could mean any number of things. TBH I don't think we should speculate. Just respect the decision and wish him well.

agreed.  can see a number of factors at play, including something like an out of the blue cancer diagnosis.  and in a number of situations, a mutual termination works out the best.  Sahki gets to move closer to home and be with his family, we get to sign a replacement more easily given the transfer window.

as sad as it all is, just wish him the best.  i doubt he has done this with any malice what so ever.  why would he sign otherwise only to get a small (if any at all) payout two weeks later?

• Like 1