Melbourne Football

Week 21: Melbourne v Cental Coast Mariners - Feb 26 - 5pm

Hammerhead

It was the post.

I think you'll find that it did hit the post....

Which game were you chaps watching??? Take a look at the replay. Take a look at it again. It's on the fox sports match day site.

Clearly shows Bolton saving the ball. Twice.

Edit. Heres the link.

http://media.foxsports.com.au/match-centre/a-league/play-by-play.html?matchid=HAL2011-122205MHTCCM

Edited by dRoy

On first glance, his shot looked to have been blocked by veteran custodian Clint Bolton, although replays suggested it might have actually rebounded off the right post.

Either way, Bolton completed the job by then diving the other way to also deny Patrick Zwaanswijk, who failed to latch onto the rebound with enough pace.

How can no one know what happened?

Edited by dRoy

How can no one know what happened?

I think you're the only one who doesnt know what happened. The Fox commentators conceded later on in the game that it hit the post once the replay was shown. The replay posted above clearly shows it hitting the post, so I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from.

Maybe we could create a 3D video of it and some CSI zoom-in with enhancements from the 1000 videos we have of it from peoples phones.

Edited by hedaik1
  • Like 1

I was sitting behind the post when it happened - it definitly hit the post, but that is not to say clint didnt get finger tips to it, to push it into the post.

Who knows - who cares - it was just a sensational that he stopped the second attempt on the line

We're doing pretty well from penalties at AAMI Park. Don't think we've missed one (can only remember one from Sibon and then Williams this year), and we've seen at least 3 opposition ones missed (Bris last year, Hernandez and Sutton)

Edit: And Thompson missing with Sarkies following up this year

Edited by Herman Cain

Boy was it hot, like standing in a fan-forced oven:( Congratulations to the players of both teams for running for 90 minutes, and to Yarraside for chanting for 90 minutes. John Sutton must have felt like he'd died and gone to hell yesterday after coming to Australia from Aberdeen:) He's the last person I'd have given a penalty to yesterday. JVS' 3-4-3 worked yesterday but lets also look at how he used it:

Colosimo had the job of building our attack with the first ball from defence. I don't think that he does this very well and it was compounded by the heat yesterday as there wasn't too much movement off the ball to create passing options for him.

Reid not only sat in front of the back 3 as a stopper but seemed to have a specific job of man-marking Rogic and I thought that he did this pretty well, Rogic only really have 2 points of influence on the game.

Behich and Marrone played their usual roles higher up the park on the wings, the idea was to attack and force back Bojic and Rose and so lessen their influence on the game. This was an attempt to cover up our lack of width with a back 3 but was only partially successful as Behich in particular didn't track his man and CCM were often able to exploit our lack of defensive width at the back. The other problem with both Marrone and Behich is their final ball into the box, usually too high and slow, usually to nowhere in particular, usually picked up by a tall defender, this is one area where we really need to improve. Is Behich genetically programmed to shoot for goal 1m past the far post? He does it so many times!

Fred was my man of the match, he was really playing between the lines much of the time and drifted all over the field. He really does control transition for the team and we look much much better when he's playing.

Babalj had an important defensive role yesterday by pressing Zwaanswijk, by far the more effective distributor of the ball from defence for CCM and this forced CCM to look for other options.

I also liked the way that every player drained Matt Ryan's water bottle every time they were near his goal for set pieces, good strategy:)

Less said about the refereeing performance the better.

Edited by belaguttman

Fred is an absolute machine!! Would love to know how many balls he won in midfield, let alone what he gave us going forward... Also works harder than anybody to top it off.. Fantastic player..

I didn't think we played all that great but when we play great we tend to lose.. :wacko:

Not to criticise, but what was the KGB display all about.. Kind of dodgy..

Edited by kontra.11
  • Like 1

neither of those ... they are awesome!

it was the one sang about half way through the first half.... maybe it will sound better in two weeks time... everyone was a bit grumpy due to the heat and the ref!

Might have been the second one I linked. It was the first time we tried it and wasn't quite working at first.

I can't think of any other shalala chants we do/did yesterday except for those two.